KernelEx 4.5.2

Would installing KernelEx Beta 2 allow users of Windows 98 S.E to install Avast 5? and would Avast 5 function?

Very unlikely as the real time AV scanning engines run at low level in ring0 if I am not mistaken and KernelEX has nothing to do with ring0.

Edited by loblo

Java 6 update 21 doesn't work with Firefox 3.5.10 (Java next generation plug-in is disabled, KernelEx 4.5 beta 2).

Previous version of it (update 20) work normally.

Edited by rainyd

Hi,

I'm running Win98SE.

For the first time today, I have downloaded and installed KernelEX 4.5 Beta 2

I have successfully installed FireFox 3.6.8, and it is working great so far. I have installed some add-ons, imported the bookmarks from my Win XP machine, downloaded some files, etc.

I am a registered owner of 4NT8, from JPSoftware. A trial version is available for download from JPSoft. This program requires W2K/WinXP, and will not work on plain Win98SE.

I have ran the install, but a dialog appears saying that 4NT cannot be installed on Windows 9x/ME.

I right-clicked on the 4nt802.exe installer, and selected Windows 2000 SP4 to use for compatibility mode.

NOTE 1: I ran the install, but a dialog appears saying "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installed is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

So, I ran 4nt802.exe /extract to get the individual files. This gave me 4nt.ini, 4nt.msi, disk1.cab

I ran 4nt.msi, but a dialog appears saying that 4NT can not be installed on Windows 9x/ME. There is no compatibility tab for the 4nt.msi file.

I ran xp.reg, and tried running 4nt802.exe again. See NOTE 1: for results. I then ran unxp.reg

I also tried XP compatibility mode. Same results.

My other programs, primarily Microsoft Visual Studio 5, all seem to be working fine with KernelEX 4.5 Beta 2. It is great to have FireFox running on Win98SE.

I would like to run 4NT8 on Win98SE, if possible.

As I said, I just discovered KernelEX 4.5 Beta 2, and have been reading this forum, and have reviewed the apps that run thanks to KernelEX. Glad to see that I am not the only one still using Win98SE.

Thanks from Joe

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum!

:hello:

So far you've done everything that I would have done to try and get a supposedly non-compatible program working on an operating system it wasn't designed for.

What you should try next is to modify the msi file that you extracted so that it doesn't expect at least Windows 2000/XP.

What you need is a utility called Orca. It can be downloaded here.

Make a backup copy of the msi file so you've still got an un-modified copy to return to if things go wrong!

If you open the msi file using Orca, you will see on the left an entry called "launchcondition".

If you open it you'll see on the right what OS versions the installer expects.

Probably the quickest fix is to highlight all the relevant rows, and select "cut row" from the edit menu.

Then save the file, and try running it again.

This is by no means guaranteed to work of course.

The installer may need version 3 of the installer system, which isn't available for Windows 98.

Even if it doesn't, it may still not work due to other dependencies that just aren't there, even with KernelEx.

At least you've done everything you can though.

Good luck!

:)

Edited by Dave-H

What you need is a utility called Orca. It can be downloaded here.

Hi,

I downloaded orca.msi, and when I launched it, the dialog "Orca does not support this version of Windows" was displayed.

So, I installed orca.msi on an XP system, used it to modify 4nt.msi as you suggested, copied 4nt.msi to my Win98SE system, launched 4nt.msi, and the installation was successful. Thankyou.

Now, let's try and launch the program.

I launched 4NT 8.02, but upon launch, it displayed a dialog saying "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". From the buttons "Close" "Debug" "Details" I selected Close to dismiss the dialog.

Next, on the 4nt.exe program, I right-clicked, and tried compatibility modes of Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4.

Same results.

Joe

The installer may need version 3 of the installer system, which isn't available for Windows 98.

I just mention that this can also generally be bypassed by going to View/Summary Information in Orca and changing the Schema field value from 300 to 200. Already pointed out by Tihiy somewhere in this thread I think.

JoelC, there is no guarantee all NT/2K/XP programs will work because KernelEx is installed on your system, and this especially if those programs are working with low level NT stuff as I suspect yours might perhaps do.

@MDGx

Thanks as always for your input MD!

:yes:

I'd forgotten that the version of Orca I pointed Joe to wouldn't actually run on Windows 98! D'oh!

@JoelC

Unfortunately it looks as if your program just won't work under Windows 98, even with KernelEx installed.

Can't win them all I'm afraid, but at least we tried!

I can't think of anything else to suggest I'm afraid.

Edited by Dave-H

@JoelC

Unfortunately it looks as if your program just won't work under Windows 98, even with KernelEx installed.

Can't win them all I'm afraid, but at least we tried!

I can't think of anything else to suggest I'm afraid.

No problem. I'm just fortunate that I can now use FireFox in Win98SE.

Joe

KernelEx v4.5 RC 1

Release announcement

Fixed. Finally.

What's new:

• Reworked 'Compatibility' tab to allow resetting compatibility settings to default values
  • Resources with high ID are disallowed when KernelEx is disabled
  • Platform check is now re-enabled when KernelEx is disabled
  • Fixed settings not applied for applications with international characters in path
  • Implemented get-post I/O completion ports functionality

Apps fixed / now working:

• Fixed: MSYS (broken)
  • Fixed: Microsoft Access XP (crashing)
  • Fixed: Rally Championship '99 (crashing)
  • Fixed: GTA San Andreas (crashing)
  • Fixed: VLC 1.0+ (UI)
  • Fixed: Firefox 3.6.4+ (high cpu usage)
  • Now working: Adobe Flash 10.1 plugin
  • Now working: Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 2
  • Now working: Artweaver 1.0
  • Now working: MPC-HC (newer builds, svn build 1391+)