KernelEx 4.5.2

Would it be possible to get Steam (the content distribution network for games www.steampowered.com) to work? Many of the older games on the platform (and some few newer games) were written to support Win9x/ME (Half-Life Series, HL2, HL2 Ep1, etc.) Steam 1.0 and 2.0 actually supported 98 up until I think 2007-08, but dropped support for it later on.

I wouldn't care if the GUI was mostly broken, as long as the games list was somewhat legible. Right now the problems that hinder the installation and running of Steam are:

- The MSI installer doesn't allow Steam to be installed due to being run on Win 9x (gives an error) I think there's a workaround for this though.

- When Steam is installed and you run it, it gives this error dialog:

erroroh.png

Sorry if this has been asked before, only saw one post about it that wasn't answered.

Would it be possible to get Steam (the content distribution network for games www.steampowered.com) to work? Many of the older games on the platform (and some few newer games) were written to support Win9x/ME (Half-Life Series, HL2, HL2 Ep1, etc.) Steam 1.0 and 2.0 actually supported 98 up until I think 2007-08, but dropped support for it later on....

I'd like to see some discussion of this issue as well. For the moment, there's the Steamless CounterStrike Project, which will allow you to play the various HL1 games in their original state without Steam. Of course this does not address the HL2+ games.

I read somewhere that if you already had Steam installed before they dropped Windows 98 support, and did not allow it to update itself, then you could still use it. I can't vouch for this, as I have never had Steam installed, and probably never will. (I refuse to install or buy any game that requires it, or requires any form of "online activation" garbage.) However, if one could track down the installer for a version of it prior to the end of 98 support, then one might manage to work around the issue.

Would it be possible to get Steam (the content distribution network for games www.steampowered.com) to work? Many of the older games on the platform (and some few newer games) were written to support Win9x/ME (Half-Life Series, HL2, HL2 Ep1, etc.) Steam 1.0 and 2.0 actually supported 98 up until I think 2007-08, but dropped support for it later on....

I'd like to see some discussion of this issue as well. For the moment, there's the Steamless CounterStrike Project, which will allow you to play the various HL1 games in their original state without Steam. Of course this does not address the HL2+ games.

I read somewhere that if you already had Steam installed before they dropped Windows 98 support, and did not allow it to update itself, then you could still use it. I can't vouch for this, as I have never had Steam installed, and probably never will. (I refuse to install or buy any game that requires it, or requires any form of "online activation" garbage.) However, if one could track down the installer for a version of it prior to the end of 98 support, then one might manage to work around the issue.

I installed the old WON version of Half-Life last night, and it works, all except for online play. Whenever I click the "Internet Play" to view the server list, HL crashes :| I have a feeling it's something to do with the weird process patcher it has running in the background that came with the steamless 1.1.1.2 update.

As for the old versions of Steam for Win98, the only way to keep them working is to stay in offline mode (which back then rarely worked.) And usually the second Steam got a whiff of an internet connection, it would attempt to update itself, even if you told it not to. In offline mode, you were pretty much limited to SP only games, and possibly LAN games since you couldn't connect to the auth server or had the same version as other players. Finding an old installer won't help our case since all Steam installers are web installers and store the content remotely.

I can totally agree with you that the online tether and activation is really lame, but Steam is the lesser of two evils when you look at a even more horrible system like EAs DRM that is poorly written trash that almost never works. I took one look at BF2142 and was so appalled that I never touched it again.

I installed the old WON version of Half-Life last night, and it works, all except for online play. Whenever I click the "Internet Play" to view the server list, HL crashes :| I have a feeling it's something to do with the weird process patcher it has running in the background that came with the steamless 1.1.1.2 update.

You can just use the original v1.1.1.0 patch + the "WON2 Listing Patch" instead of the 1.1.1.2 update, may fix your problem, I haven't used the 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.2 patches.

As seen in the screenshot my name is a bunch of (?)'s and the idle time is the same.

This poses a problem in the accounts page whereby it will 'delete' your account and replace it with such symbols (luckely I dont need to edit any settings)

There are various character flaws in KernelEx on Win98SE. E.g. in Firefox 3 the "..." is still replaced by a "|", which looks stupid.

A work-around for this is a FF extension called Theme Font Size Changer. Try Arial/Normal and see if the "..." comes back.

A work-around for this is a FF extension called Theme Font Size Changer. Try Arial/Normal and see if the "..." comes back.

After I installed that 98SE2ME patch, it fixed the annoying bars after words in the tabs and menus. Though it broke all of the classic icons and transparency, I guess it's a tradeoff; Or the 98SE2ME doesn't play well with the Revolution's Pack 9.7. I couldn't stand to have the classic WIndows 98 defragger though, it brought back all of those horrible memories between 1997-2000 with "all night cookouts" where the defragger would be painfully slow and restart every 5 seconds because one bit on the drive had changed. Reeh.

Yes it works, but it poops an additional icon into the right lower corner to launch its menu,and may easily make the menus unreadable when a mouse click hits it wrongly. I have some hundreds of fonts on my PC - many of them are incomplete or made of unreadable symbols - e.g. 7-segment digits for various Visual Pinball games. - Is there an easy reset when it messes stuff up?

By the way, the main bug that causes "|" instead of "..." seems to be in the "MS Sans Serif" font (apparently the Win98SE default). Selecting it in Theme Font Size Changer brings the flaw back.

Edited by CyberyogiCoWindler

Yes it works, but it poops an additional icon into the right lower corner to launch its menu,and may easily make the menus unreadable when a mouse click hits it wrongly. I have some hundreds of fonts on my PC - many of them are incomplete or made of unreadable symbols - e.g. 7-segment digits for various Visual Pinball games. - Is there an easy reset when it messes stuff up?

By the way, the main bug that causes "|" instead of "..." seems to be in the "MS Sans Serif" font (apparently the Win98SE default). Selecting it in Theme Font Size Changer brings the flaw back.

A work-around for this is a FF extension called Organize Status Bar. You can hide or move status bar icons as you like.

Wish to report that LibreOffice 3.3 RC2 does not work

Default compatibility: Fatal error - "The application cannot be started. A general error occurred while accessing your central configuration"

Win2000 compatibility: soffice.exe loaded forever and never showed up

XP SP2 compatibility: Invalid page error in VCLMI.DLL

Shall try again when LibreOffice 3.3 Final comes out

LibreOffice 3.3 Final is out. It has the same problem as above. Hope it can be solved in future version of KernelEx

Foxit 3.14 still depletes resources on 9X systems. I opened and scrolled several PDFs in the 4MB size range with it. After several minutes, system, user, and GDI resources were all down to the low 20% range.

Although I'm just now trying it for the first time, the present version of PDF-Xchange viewer (2.0 build47) works with KernelEX and doesn't deplete resources, although it's memory usage can get high when multiple documents are opened. So far, it seems stable with KernelEX, enough so that I'm considering making it my default PDF reader.

So far, the latest version of KernelEX seems to be working quite well on my 98SE unit. I did experience some short lived graphics issues on a website with interactive Java maps. These disappeared when I left the page and didn't reappear when I returned. The earlier incompatibility with SSM is gone. No problems with VPC 5.1 or any other software I'm using. The present version of SeaMonkey is working quite well with it. Can't test printing with it at this time.

I'd like to see what else would be necessary to get Sandboxie running on 98. Probably asking too much with this one.

Does PDF-XChange Viewer print on Win 98SE? I'm using KEX 4.5 Final and I've tried versions 2.0.42, 2.0.47 and 2.5.191 on 2 different machines and neither one will print from PDF-XChange. The reader part works fine for all versions. I can print form Foxit 3.3.1 and Acrobat 7.0.9 so I have workarounds. This forum has been clear about the Firefox 3+ printing problems but I haven't seen any mention of PDF-XChange 2+ print problems.

Hey guys,I DID complain that my Simplified Chinese IME on my USA Windows 98SE machine was not working properly (Some dialogs do not appear, only the "click" error sound is heard from the PC speaker).

I found that by disabling KernelEX extensions for firefox.exe, I solved my problem. I use the last version of Firefox (2.0.20 I believe, but I know that it's the last version officially released), but I am not sure what is it's actual version number as I did not boot into Windows 98SE.

I'm running into a similar problem with global IME with Firefox 3.6. With KernelEx 4.5, I'm able to test Firefox 3.6 but it will not work when KernelEx is disabled.

Are there anyone able to use global IME with Firefox 3.6?

Firefox 2 does not have any problem with global IME.

Are there anyone able to use global IME with Firefox 3.6?

I suspect that Firefox 3.6 does not support the global IME of Win98, which does not fully support Unicode. That's just my opinion only without evidence.

Starcraft 2 won't work due to advanced protection system blizzard implemented lately. Same for newer WoW. Also it's likely that Starcraft 2 requires some newer graphical driver features which aren't available in 9x.