KernelEx 4.5.2

When I read your "call for support" thread, I thought that was the end of KernelEx. This is a very pleasant surprise. You just made my day and then some.

Happy user keeps me motivated and more willing to put my effort!

Maybe this will help with that. 359 downloads of this update already!

A quick question. Regarding the problems with newer versions of FireFox, is this the same problem that affects SeaMonkey versions 2.1 and newer? This also has me wondering if the present Tor browser bundle (which contains a modified version of FireFox 8) will run on 98 now.

Thanks, I've been there first time I ever installed a Firefox on my 98SE (which is not so long time ago) and there was all kind of stuff that someone might find useful but nothing resembling what I want.

The auto-login I'm talking about doesn't just store username+password in some cookie (as K-Meleon does); instead, it's an automation that opens the login page, pastes the required information and validates the login. This way, one can choose which information to use for a given site (i.e. which of my three Yahoo accounts to log into).

The groups feature can save all open tabs as a group and can open any such group with a menu item click. But the real feature is that any existing auto-login link can be added to any group, so that regular pages can be opened while logging in with specific credentials to other sites.

The two features working as explained above, are nowhere to be found in any other browser AFAIK. Or at least, none that would work under 9x. Anyway, let's not hijack this topic with browser discussions; I just mentioned these features in relation to the IE8 request.

I believe there is a add-on for just what you are talking about.

What I'm refering too is small apps that you can add to firefox these are not part of firefox by default. That's why they are called add-ons, they used to be called plugins. They are real small for the most part in the 200k or less range and add feature or modifie the way firefox works to fit the users needs and wants. Its a very powerful feature that makes firefox much better then it is by default.

Here are a couple of add-on's that look like they mite do what you want, but you should look threw the add-ons to find one that's best for you.

password tote

lastpass password manager

A quick question. Regarding the problems with newer versions of FireFox, is this the same problem that affects SeaMonkey versions 2.1 and newer?

I am also wondering about that but for the life of me I can't find the 5 minutes it takes to download the current SeaMonkey, unpack it and test out if it does now run. (sarcasm)

This also has me wondering if the present Tor browser bundle (which contains a modified version of FireFox 8) will run on 98 now.

I am also wondering about that but for the life of me I can't find the 5 minutes it takes to download the current Tor browser bundle, unpack it and test out if it does now run. (re-sarcasm)

They both run now btw. :w00t:

avast! puts KernelEx-4.5.2.exe into the Virus Chest because of suspicious behavior..

Reported as "Win32:SuspBehav-J [Heur]".

A false positive of course, but I just thought I'd let you know.

IE7 or IE8 is probably never going happen on 9x

I will install this new version as soon as I get home, this is exciting ^^

Qemu Manager v7.0 works in 98SE/ME/NT4 (with some modifications).

Using that I booted up Tiny Core Linux v4.0.2 in 98SE today and loaded up Chrome and FireFox v7.0.1.

So you can probably load up a 256mb RAM XP with IE8 installed under that and just use it for web browsing.

See bottom post:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?p=248386#248386

avast! puts KernelEx-4.5.2.exe into the Virus Chest because of suspicious behavior..

A false positive of course, but I just thought I'd let you know.

Hi, same thing for me , when I try to download the file with my PC running XP :wacko:

I have reported it yesterday on the Avast forum :

http://forum.avast.c...p?topic=88452.0

;)

Edited by patclash

I am also wondering about that but for the life of me I can't find the 5 minutes it takes to download the current SeaMonkey, unpack it and test out if it does now run.

Updating Kex requires a reboot which I really don't want to do at this time. My PC is in the middle of a long term durability test of Tor as an exit node on 98, which Kex and RP9 made possible. Tempting as it is, I don't want to cut it short. All I wanted to know was if FireFox (which I don't use) and SeaMonkey were affected by the same problem.

Hi, same thing for me

I have reported it yesterday on the Avast forum :

http://forum.avast.c...p?topic=88452.0 ;)

Interesting:

A first VirusTotal scan is reported on the Avast forum, from 2011-11-15 finding 2 items:

File name: KernelEx-4.5.2.exe
Submission date: 2011-11-15 15:52:24 (UTC)
Result: 2 /41 (4.9%)
Avast 6.0.1289.0 2011.11.15 Win32:SuspBehav-J [Heur]
GData 22 2011.11.15 Win32:SuspBehav-J

I have found a 2nd one from 2011-11-16 with same result:

Submission date: 2011-11-16 17:09:30 (UTC)
Result: 2 /42 (4.8%)
Avast 6.0.1289.0 2011.11.16 Win32:SuspBehav-J [Heur]
GData 22 2011.11.16 Win32:SuspBehav-J

But I tried a 3rd one just now, and everything is clear:

Submission date: 2011-11-16 22:51:23 (UTC)
Result: 0/ 42 (0.0%)
Avast 6.0.1289.0 2011.11.16 -
GData 22 2011.11.16 -

Same thing on Virusscan.Jotti:

Filename: 	KernelEx-4.5.2.exe 
Scan taken on: Wed 16 Nov 2011 23:31:22 (CET)

So, this issue may be solved ;) .

Edited by CharlesF

... and that'd be as fun as scratching my head with a rake! No thanks... We're in a topic that tries to improve Win9x by adding "native" abilities where MS left off.

For the record, I doubt that running IE 8 or 9 can be called an ability. :ph34r:

Or, you know ;), ability as in "I have the ability to shoot my own foot"

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I use Avast! 4.8 antivirus and it did not have any false positives with KernelEx 4.5.2 as mentioned recently. That error must occur with later versions of Avast!

It's been fixed in the latest virus definitions update.

Probably thanks to patclash's report.