KernelEx 4.5.2

I have the following problem using Fileformatconverter (stand alone) in combination with powerpoint files.

Right clicking a ppt file choosing the option "Save as" (i.c. Moc.exe -f "inputfile") gives "The converter failed to save the file". In Dependency Walker or Filemon its visible that the "Save as" option first opens Moc.exe, than - in case of a ppt file - this program opens Ppcnvcom.exe (in case of 97-2002 & 2007 word or excel files there are no serious problems to overcome- see also my post on http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133124-ms-office-2007-compatibility-pack-with-office-97/#entry1090415).

Experimenting using Ppcnvcom.exe (i.c. Ppcnvcom.exe -oice "inputfile (ppt)" "outputfile (pptx)") its possible to convert (silent!) ppt2pptx with Ppcnvcom.exe in Kernelex compatibility mode NT40 or higher. Pptx2ppt is not possible - but that should be normal behaviour as far as I know. I am using the latest files version 12.0.6500.5000. Older ones make no difference, except the first version of Fileformatconverters (Ppcnvcom.exe version 12.0.4518.1014 crashes).

Any ideas? Using Dependency Walker seems impossible because of a crash in Ppcnvcom.exe in both cases.  :realmad:

Edited by deomsh

• 3 weeks later...

On 31.7.2014 at 11:51 AM, schwups said:

I tried the Free PDF to Word Doc Converter (http://www.hellopdf.com/index.php). KernelEX isn't required. I successfully converted the text of a pdf file to doc. But the images are missing. I don't have MS Word installed on this machine. I opened the doc file with OpenOffice. 

Key Features:
Convert PDF to Word and preserve the original layout of your PDF in an editable Word Document.
Extract text labels, graphics, shapes from PDF file into Word Doc file.
Convert all the pages, or partial pages of PDF file to Word file.
Support Adobe PDF 1.0 - 1.6 formats.
Can automatically open the output Doc file when the conversion is done.
Several PDF to Word conversion options are available for a better result.
Convert in a high speed.
Easy to use software.
Totally for Free! :)

Yes hellopdf is ok. I tried also two additional pdf converters that might have one supporting format 1.7.

My file had text and two images inside. It was surely made with PDF 1.7 atleast I suppose that Word 2010 supported creating these types of PDFs.

I checked with hellopdf which is freeware(should only support up to pdf 1.6): Result were ok or average but some formating issues like image shifted or wrong size of image.

"SomePDF.com"  (supported format unknown probably pdf 1.6 maybe 1.7 but rather not) converter through the web archive ,was freeware. Results were average. Meaning images were shifted. And ofcourse the conversion is into a .rtf instead of .doc file.

KernelEx is needed to start the setup atleast.

And number 3:

"pdfwordconverter.net" demo version. 

The limitation is you get a message and start that popups and reminds you that its not the full version and you can register. And also only 50% are converted. I tried to convert 3 pages, 1 only was converted. Couldnt do that for any other page even by changing the "start" page number. It would crash when I did. But the result from the one page that I was allowed to convert was really 100% looking like in the PDF file.
There was a version 2.0 (past through webarchive) and 3.0 (also through webarchive, current version is 3.5).  Version 2.0 should support windows me and 2000 and all afterwards (according to the webpage). version 3 only Windows 2000 and upwards.  I did however not find any difference between version 2.0 and 3.0 . And both did run on 98se with KernelEx(needed atleast to get the setup started). 

Conclusion:

What I would suggest: Trying pdfwordconverter.net for 50% of the content of a pdf (since its demo only) and the other 50% being converted by hellopdf or somepdf.com

There were slight differences between hellopdf and somepdf (besides the .doc or .rtf format) considering the layout of text.  All 3 pages would have been needed to be edited afterwards anyway. There was one case where a image was converted to big and another where the fonts where to big. But I really cant remember so good which of the two programs did what at the moment. Since people suggest hellopdf to be good for windows 9x I would say try hellopdf and if you want to make an experiment try the other one aswell.

Its really up to you which converter is good enough for your work. But the demo limited converted had the most flawless result for the one page it converted and with a small image on it. Making me think somepdf.com is not just supporting pdf 1.6 format but also 1.7 format.

But except for hellopdf we have no documentation which pdf  version can be converted to word documents.

Edit: Most of the PDF-Files I found on my system seem to be PDF 1.4 or 1.5. I still must test the conversion with a 1.6 or 1.7 PDF version.

Edited by winxpi

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some DX files need a minimum KernelEx setting. Games may not complain but certain files will. I will only mention the games that have KernelEx or Win9x specific settings. It depends on how Kernelex AppSettings is set up. Mine is not perfect otherwise I would post reg settings. It is getting better. Turning KernelEx to disabled or Win95 usually does the trick with incompatibilities. StarForce protection needs KernelEx disabled.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Game                |              Setting           |      Must Have     |Controller|                                   Anomalies
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alias                                         try NT6 or disabled        DXmasf vs 6.4.7     Yes        DDhelp may terminate after game, reboot

to reinstate DDhelp (nVidia not ATI?)

See if videos play with WMP  

Extreme G2                                                                          Win9x  OS         No         Preferred graphics ATI

King Kong - Peter Jackson's   (CheckApplication.exe)

Disabled                                               Yes

TR4 The Last Revelation                 NT6                                                        No      FMV must be disabled in ( -setup suffix after S/C to exe)

TR6 Angel of Darkness                 Win98                                                      Yes    

Edited by Goodmaneuver