KernelEx 4.5.2

Flash Player 10 never work properly on Win98 with KEX. I have to overwrite Flash 10 with 9 every time it gets installed automatically (Flash 9 would auto-update my installation to Flash 10, as it thought that my system could support it)

Therefore it won't work until this issue gets resolved.

Thanks, at least I'm not alone. According to Xeno86, it should work for him:

With 98SE and Kernelex 4.0 RC 2, I can install Flash 10.0.22 but Firefox 3.0.7 crashes every time. (Seamonkey 1.1.15 complains about Flash 10 when it starts but after I close the dialog, Seamonkey works and Flash 10 works.) Reinstalling Flash 9.0 r159 eliminates all of these problems. Flash 10 use to work for me with Kernelex 0.3.5 but it hasn't worked since 0.3.6. Any suggestions?

:huh:

It must be something wrong with your configuration, because I use Firefox 3.0.7 with Flash 10 everyday and it works for everybody else.

My suggestion is to do clear install of Firefox 3 and creating a new profile.

I tried using new profile but still failing. I'm uncertain whether Firefox 3 is mandatory though.

I've run Flash 10 since it was released with Firefox 3.0.x and now 3.5.x (with current Flash 10.0.22.87).

I don't remember having any crashes with it...

I'm running the English versions of Windows 98SE and Firefox 3.x.

I've run Flash 10 since it was released with Firefox 3.0.x and now 3.5.x (with current Flash 10.0.22.87).

You try http://imageshack.us/ and Browse, select file and Open... (no Old version ImageShack without Flash)

Ah... Does it mean that I have to upgrade to Firefox 3? No chance for Firefox 2 to work with Flash 10?

On my PC, Flash 10 plays MP4 smoothly with Firefox 3.5 instead of Firefox 2 or Opera 9.64. But Flash 10 doesn't crash Fx2 when I browse Flash pages.

Do you mean that you can successfully install Flash 10 on Firefox 2 under KernelEx and Win98SE?

On my PC, Flash 10 plays MP4 smoothly with Firefox 3.5 instead of Firefox 2 or Opera 9.64. But Flash 10 doesn't crash Fx2 when I browse Flash pages.

Do you mean that you can successfully install Flash 10 on Firefox 2 under KernelEx and Win98SE?

Yes, with KernelEx and registry hack... Only any small problem (e.g. imageshack.us).

You CAN install and run Flash 10, but some programs that use Flash 10 may occasionally crash (Like Firefox, IE....)

It works most of the time, but I just felt p***ed off whenever it caused my browser windows to close when the browser crashed....

I do not know whether it's due to my system configuration, or maybe it really is a flaw.

I tried it on 2 computers using Win98 (USA and Japan Editions, the USA one being modified with SH95UPD, the Japan Edition is unnmodified), all having similar effects. Flash would load and run properly, but occasionally crash.

Edited by sp193

Hi everybody !

I'm new here and it's a real pleasure to find other fans and users of windows 98. I'm using different OS and my win98 is "windows 98 First Edition"

First thanks to XENO for creating kernelex, this is really an incredible program !

Now for those of you who can't install flash 10 I may have a solution. If the registry hack isn't working this is what you can do.

This works with firefox 3 and surely with firefox 2. I have to check for internet explorer.

First downlad this file at :

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flash...hplayer-win.xpi

Then you will have to change the extention of the file. For this rename the file flashplayer-win.xpi to flashplayer-win.zip .

Now open the archive file flashplayer-win.zip and extract those 2 files :

- flashplayer.xpt

- NPSWF32.dll

You have to put those files in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\PLUGINS or in the PLUGINS folder of firefox.

And now you get it Flash 10 ! To check this, go to youtube please watch a video and right click on the video and you may see written flash 10 on the list.

If you can't install firefox 3 please use the portable version of fire fox. I personnaly recommand firefox 3.0.11 firefox 3.5 doesn't seems to work.

If you can't install firefox 3 please use the portable version of fire fox. I personnaly recommand firefox 3.0.11 firefox 3.5 doesn't seems to work.

Thx! Tested and my Firefox 3.5.1 (with KernelEx 4): FlashPlayer 10 busy properly (without install, only replace 2 files).

(On old Firefox 2.0.22.0pre back old version flashplayer 9 - version 10 not properly Browse on e.g. imageshack.us)

Edited by Philco

Good idea with the XPI..

I tried to run AeroSnap (.NET 2.0 app) on my 98SE2MESP3 box. It errors when you run it:

"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process ID=0xfffbfc9b (-263013), Thread ID=0xfffb6f17 (-299241). Click OK to terminate the application. Click CANCEL to debug the application."

Upon hitting cancel, it informs me that not JIT debugger was specified.

When I run it with KernelEx in Vista or XP SP2 mode, it says that it performed an illegal operation, module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff87ede.

I realize this program is far-fetched as far as trying to run on 98, but I thought I'd give it a go. Since data could always be used, I thought I'd post the info here.

Kurono91, this trick doesn't work in my case (Firefox 2.0.0.22 pre).

Firefox recognized Flash 10 but when I've tried to use it on YouTube or Adobe test page, the window was empty.

I tried to run the Boxee alpha on my 98 box with KernelEx, and whether or not KernelEx extensions (or which compatibility) are enabled, I get an error during setup at the end, and then upon trying to run the program get:

The BOXEE.EXE file is linked to missing export SETUPAPI.DLL:CM_Request_Device_EjectA.

Sounds like something that probably would work fine with just a stub in the DLL. Simultaneously with that error, I get the "A device attached to the system is not functioning" one, which I seem to get a lot for many programs. Thanks in advance for looking into it.

i would like to report that apps that wont shows open/save file-dialog on win98SE, but works just fine on winXP.

using KernelEx-RC 2, i have also tried to set compatiblty to win98SE or win2K-SP4 or winXP-SP2, but still not works.

recently, i found such instance with source code:

http://byuu.org/programming/ (look under tsukuyomi)

on win98SE machine i can compile it with minGW then run the resulting .exe, but it still wont display the file-dialog,

however if i copied the .exe (the compile result) into winXP machine, it works there.

looking on source code, i suspect that "GetOpenFileName()" / "GetSaveFileName()" function was somewhat incompatible.

tested with Dependency Walker, it said that the .exe import GetOpenFileNameA and GetSaveFileNameA from Comdlg32.dll

my comdlg32.dll version was 4.72.3510.2300