KernelEx 4.5.2

oc_dt

I suspect that there could be a conflict with some shell extension on your system. Please use this tool with KernelEx 4.0 RC2: Autoruns to create a report (use export feature).

I've sent this to your mailbox. Thanks.

I've found KernelEX by searching for a possibility to run Firefox 3.x under Win98SE... :hello:

It works indeed on my german version of Win98SE. Firefox installation is no problem. I actually write from within Firefox 3.x :) . But I notice some small(?) issues, independent of using KernelEx 3.6a (with kexver.ini) or KernelEx 4.0 (with the compability tab).

The issues furthermore occure independent of using Firefox 3.01 (file Firefox_Setup_3.0.12.exe directly from Mozilla homepage) or Firefox 3.5 (file Firefox Setup 3.5.1.exe).

Problems:

1.) Minor font errors like here FF 3.5, but in my opinion this is a very 'light' issue.

2.) Very long loading time at some web pages; some examples:

- Advanced Google search

Loading lasts often about 3-4 seconds; quiet slow for this site and even sometimes after Firefox is started already. In the Firefox's status bar while loading: "waiting for www.google.de...". These 3-4 seconds are nerving, when I often use Advanced Google search.

- German Firefox Wiki site. It seems, like with the advanced Google search site described above, that firefox.exe(?) 'hangs' a little bit. CPU usage is about 95%. Loading of this Wiki site lasts often about 15(!) seconds.

- The 'strangest' example: Rendering time test for browser. At this site I have about CPU usage about constant 95%, loading lasts always at least 4 minutes(!) :blink: . This effect stays even if I save the site on my HDD, so it isn't a connection/network settings problem.

Try out yourself...

The reason for 2.) must be firefox 3.5 or KernelEx or Win98SE, because:

All these sites (and some others) load much faster in IE6 and FF2 (installed for comparison). But there are also much sites, where Firefox 3.5 works normally, and is even faster than IE6 and FF2... :wacko:

What I have tried (but didn't work):

- Deleted XPC.mfl and XUL.mfl in Profiles folder of firefox and replace by folders with names XPC.mfl and XUL.mfl.

- Deleted complete Firefox profiles folder.

- Tried several KernelEx Versions (0.34a, 0.36a, 4.0).

- Tried to install Firefox 2 and install Firefox 3 "over" Firefox 2 in the same folder.

- Deactivated all Firefox plugins (especially java and/or javascript).

- Startet firefox.exe in safe-mode.

- Set the KernelEx tab for firefox.exe manually to "WinXP SP2".

If it should be important:

My unicows.dll version: 1.1.3790.0

... user32.dll version: 4.10.2231

I'm interested: Have some other users also the problems 1.) and 2.)?

Should I update some other system files? Or try something in the internal Firefox settings, accessible via "about:config"?

oc_dt

I suspect that there could be a conflict with some shell extension on your system. Please use this tool with KernelEx 4.0 RC2: Autoruns to create a report (use export feature).

Based on my autoruns output, do you suspect any program causing this conflict? What else should I try? Thanks.

oc_dt

Based on my autoruns output, do you suspect any program causing this conflict? What else should I try? Thanks.

Try creating crash log with DrWatson.

oc_dt

Try creating crash log with DrWatson.

With DrWatson, I've captured the following with KernelEx 4.0 Final. I PMed the detailed log to you. I produced another DrWatson log with stack dump, please reply if you want to study this log, which is much larger, thanks.

The application overflowed its stack. This is typically caused by unrestricted recursion or an exception inside an exception handler.

Module Name: KERNEL32.DLL

Description: Win32 Kernel core component

Version: 4.10.2222

Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Application Name: Explorer.exe

Description: Windows Explorer

Version: 4.72.3612.1700

Product: Microsoft® Windows NT® Operating System

--------------------

Windows KB891711 component has altered Windows system files.

Module Name: KB891711.EXE

Description: Windows KB891711 component

Version: 4.10.2223

--------------------

Windows KB918547 EXE component has altered Windows system files.

Module Name: KB918547.EXE

Description: Windows KB918547 EXE component

Version: 4.10.2224

Edited by oc_dt

Today, Adobe released new versions of Flash Player 9 and 10.

9.0.246.0 works perfectly under Opera 10 Beta 2 but I have some problem with Firefox 2.0.0.22 pre and SeaMonkey 1.1.17 (without KernelEx of course).

10.0.32.18 refused to install (complaining about older operating system) despite of registry trick and setting KernelEx 4.0 Final in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode for it.

With DrWatson, I've captured the following with KernelEx 4.0 Final. I PMed the detailed log to you. I produced another DrWatson log with stack dump, please reply if you want to study this log, which is much larger, thanks.

I've sent the link of the other log to you. Please check because I didn't try posting link before, thanks.

Unpack with 7-Zip then simply overwrite the old flash files with those ones. Runs fine in Opera 9.64.

That was a real surprise for me but yes, that manual update to newest version (Flash 10) works great - I've tried a couple sites including Adobe test page. Thank you! :)

Btw, it is possible to achieve similar effect with Shockwave Player (I'm using old 10.2 version)?

Edited by rainyd

Today, Adobe released new versions of Flash Player 9 and 10.

9.0.246.0 works perfectly under Opera 10 Beta 2 but I have some problem with Firefox 2.0.0.22 pre and SeaMonkey 1.1.17 (without KernelEx of course).

10.0.32.18 refused to install (complaining about older operating system) despite of registry trick and setting KernelEx 4.0 Final in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode for it.

Unpack with 7-Zip then simply overwrite the old flash files with those ones. Runs fine in Opera 9.64. Thanks for the security update head-up :hello:

Btw it's an NSIS installer and there is a problem with running the newest NSIS installers It would seem. See just above about foobar2000 for another example.

Come on lads!

Read the instructions in Post #2: http://www.msfn.org/board/kernelex-4-0-fin...936-page-1.html

There are two reg files to create. One to enable the Windows NT version key, and the other to remove it after install.

Both ActiveX and Plugin Flash Player 10 will install correctly.

I have Flash Player 10.0.32.18 working correctly in both Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Firefox 3.5.1.

I'm using the current KernelEx 4.0 Final - needed for Flash Player 10 ActiveX.

Download Flash Player 10.0.32.18 ActiveX from:

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplaye...h_player_ax.exe

Download Flash Player 10.0.32.18 Plugin from:

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplaye...lash_player.exe

Edited by RetroOS

Java 6 Update 14: How I've got it working in Windows 98SE with Internet Explorer and Firefox.

I have KernelEx 4.0 Final installed, but this proceedure may work with earlier versions too.

Download the Offline installer from: http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=31620

Run the Offline installer: jre-6u14-windows-i586-s.exe

This will fail with:

Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows

Installer package. A DLL required for this install to

complete could not be run. Contact your support

Personnel or package vendor.

Well I did not get an error 1723 but I subsequently had a regutils.dll error 2753 which I managed to fix by using the Microsoft MSI Cleanup Utility, then I got an error 1330 (invalid digital signature corrupted cab blah blah) and I am stuck with that as far as installing update 14 or 15 and even update 13 which I did install succesfully some time ago. No one exactly knows what an error 1330 is nor how to fix it and it affects all sorts of products on all sorts of systems. That was pretty much off-topic but I then unpacked those jres and can't execute jar files with any of them, be it update 14 or 15, whereas I am able to execute them with any earlier jre I have on my machine. Perhaps I am missing some registry entry I can't figure out but I sort of doubt it. Can someone who has successfully installed update 14 or 15 tell me if java applications can still be run normally on your systems ?

Edited by eidenk

After install, the following setting must be disabled to ensure Java applets work.

In Control Panel, Java, Advanced, Java Plug-in, uncheck:

Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in (requires browser restart)

Now you should be operational with both Internet Explorer and Firefox, Opera, and others.

For more information, see: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/new_plugin.xml

Good find RetroOS ! :)

What I have to add is that I have just tested JDK 6u14 on a fresh system and it installs flawlessly (including bundled JRE 6u14).

javas.th.png

Good find RetroOS ! :)

What I have to add is that I have just tested JDK 6u14 on a fresh system and it installs flawlessly (including bundled JRE 6u14).

You're most welcome!

A small contribution compared with the outstanding work you and Tihiy have been doing!

Also nice test results with a new install. It shows that the only dependancy is KernelEx.

It makes me wonder if perhaps the Error 1723 during install is only on my system...

Has anyone else had this error trying to install Java Update 10 or higher?

Edited by RetroOS

It makes me wonder if perhaps the Error 1723 during install is only on my system...

Has anyone else had this error trying to install Java Update 10 or higher?

Not at all, it's a missing dependancy in 'regutils.dll'. Mentioned it long ago actually in the old kernelex thread.

Missing dependancy in 'regutils.dll' during install for SunJava Run-Time v1.6.0 update 11 which causes the installer to end abruptly due to being 'unable to load a required dll':

QueryServiceStatusEx - Linked to Advapi32.dll

.. just a note.

Edited by Chozo4