KernelEx 4.5.2

KernelEX 4.0 Final BUG REPORT:

Win98se after installing 4.0 final

Fixfox 2.0.0.20 -> crash on start

IE 5.0 -> cannot connect to internet (I'm using dial-up)

Proxomitron 4.5 -> Cannot open listener socket (popup warning on start)

Revert back to RC2, everything ok, no such problems.

====================================

KernelEX 4.0 Final BUG REPORT:

Win98se after installing 4.0 final

Fixfox 2.0.0.20 -> crash on start

IE 5.0 -> cannot connect to internet (I'm using dial-up)

Proxomitron 4.5 -> Cannot open listener socket (popup warning on start)

Revert back to RC2, everything ok, no such problems.

====================================

Fixfox 2.0.0.20 -> crash on start - Firefox? Version 2 i run with disable KernelEx properly (all version).

... which of cource would be the same solution for IE5.

I wounder why that is though, surly if a 9x program doesn't need those extra apis then why do certian programs try to us them...?

Trev

Some programs that are multi-windows test for the existance of certain api's to determine windows version instead. If certain WinNT api's exist, it assumes it isn't win9x and uses the other codepath.

Xeno86, are you able to get my drwatson.log from my new link?

I found that my current system cannot run the following sysinternals programs properly:

autoruns

procexp

handle

Are there anything going wrong? I have all KernelEx uninstalled.

By failing to run the above programs, am my kernel is having trouble? I conducted many times of KernelEx RC2/Final install/uninstall for log collection, is my kernel still intact?

Those Sysinternals utilities no longer work on Win9x oc_dt, there's nothing wrong with your kernel. You either need to use older versions of those utilities or use http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=47 to patch the utilities to work on Win9x.

Queue

Bravo, thank you for point this out. The sysinternals forum also suggested the following:

Delete the registry key HKCU\Software\Sysinternals\Process Explorer

I will try to see if it works too.

I found that many people are running KernelEx Final happily; whilst some users including myself are experiencing similar problem with Final but not RC2. Are we having some fine bits in common? Really looking forward to update from Xeno86. Cheers.

Bravo, thank you for point this out. The sysinternals forum also suggested the following:

Delete the registry key HKCU\Software\Sysinternals\Process Explorer

I will try to see if it works too.

That registry removal does not work. The last version of procexp that works for Win9x is 11.11, I found the following link:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_process_explorer/3854/

Do you have information on checksum to verify the validity of this file?

Edited by oc_dt

That registry removal does not work. The last version of procexp that works for Win9x is 11.11

Of course the registry removal doesn't work, but the utility 'exeversion' (from steelbytes) mentioned above does in fact work with the latest version 11.33 of ProcessExplorer - it runs without problems in Win98!

(unfortunately this trick does not work for ProcessMonitor)

I found that many people are running KernelEx Final happily; whilst some users including myself are experiencing similar problem with Final but not RC2. Are we having some fine bits in common? Really looking forward to update from Xeno86. Cheers.

Just wild guessing, could this be related to active desktop? I'm using active desktop in my case, after installing Final even the desktop icons cannot be shown and also explorer failing. For other users encountering problem with Final, are you using active desktop?

Edited by oc_dt

oc_dt

The problem you have is caused by your version of Norton CleanSweep not being compatible with KernelEx.

Technical explanation:

CleanSweep uses api hijacking technique to redirect api calls to APITRAP.DLL therefore KernelEx can't recognize the original api caller. There are two possible solutions - you can either uninstall Norton CleanSweep or KernelEx extensions can be disabled for that module but then every program which is hooked by CleanSweep will also have extensions disabled.

I suggest that you uninstall Norton CleanSweep because it also slows down whole system and might cause issues with other software.

oc_dt

The problem you have is caused by your version of Norton CleanSweep not being compatible with KernelEx.

Technical explanation:

CleanSweep uses api hijacking technique to redirect api calls to APITRAP.DLL therefore KernelEx can't recognize the original api caller. There are two possible solutions - you can either uninstall Norton CleanSweep or KernelEx extensions can be disabled for that module but then every program which is hooked by CleanSweep will also have extensions disabled.

I suggest that you uninstall Norton CleanSweep because it also slows down whole system and might cause issues with other software.

Cheers! That completely explains the situation, I have successfully installed Final; moreover, Flash 10 is now running happily with Firefox 2!

My hearty thanks and respect for your prompt diagnosis!

Edited by oc_dt

What settings do you have in compatibility tab for JRE installer?

None. If I set it to Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP SP2, I get the following error:

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.

This can occur if you are running Windows in safe

mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly

installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Hi RetrOS,

did you get your installer problem fixed ?

Just for information:

I installed Java 6 update 15 (and 14) flawlessly (no 1723 error on both - setting compatibility tab to WIN 98SE and disabling next generation plugin after installl) on WIN 98SE with Kernel Ex final + SESP4 beta + RP 9). I changed frm Java 5 update 20, because this panorama-applet did not work in Java 5 update 20: http://www.maltacamp.at/de/terrassencampin...0-panorama.html

Does anyone know why this is ?

By the way newest Spamihilator version (best (??) free spamfilter for outlook express) also installed and works without any problem : http://www.spamihilator.com/

Thank you again Xeno (and Tihiy)

Roger

Hi RetrOS,

did you get your installer problem fixed ?

No, I've had the same problem installing Java 6 update 15.

I can get it to install using the same workaround I used for Java 6 update 14.

...Blender 2.48a is working with KernelEx - for all those 3D rendering and animation buffs out there! :thumbup

Blender requires Python 2.5.x which is 9x compatible anyway.

It also requires the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable.

When the redist install is run, it will fail, but it has already copied the following files into %windir%\SYSTEM32.

msvcm90.dll

msvcp90.dll

msvcr90.dll

Simply copy these three files into %windir%\SYSTEM.

I've now got the current Blender 2.49a with avifix working with KernelEx 4.0 Final.

Blender 2.49a (and higher) now requires Python 2.6.x which is not supposed to work in Windows 9x.

However, both Blender and Python installed with no drama and Blender is working beautifully!

Edited by RetroOS