KernelEx 4.5.2

Hi! I would like to inform that KernelEx 4.0 Final 2 is available for download. Unfortunately I can't make a release because Polish IP addresses have been banned from msfn.org - thank you xper! See thread titled "IMPORTANT: MUST READ" for reference. Unless I am unbanned this might well be my last post on this forum.

Xeno86, you're not banned from MSFN. But all Poland IP's are, for the time being. This is a necessary and unavoidable mesure, at the moment. None of this is directed at you, don't take it personally. Please do not go away, you're a most valued member of our community. I'm sure Tihiy can host KernelEX from Russia, which would solve the present problem in an acceptable way.

KernelEx 4.0 Final 2 testing

All works okay so far.

Windows actually starts up faster to the desktop and general Windows operation is faster.

I expect this is partly as a result of the KernelEx DLL delayed loading.

I played YoFrankie using the Blender Game Engine for a while and went through my normal apps.

New app working:

Scribus - Open Source Desktop Publishing

http://www.scribus.net

Scribus 1.3.3.13 (stable)

1.3.3.13 (stable) and higher requires the Flash 10 trick to install: http://www.msfn.org/board/kernelex-4-0-fin...936-page-1.html

Prior to KernelEx 4.0 Final 2, Scribus would fail to finish loading with an error.

Currently, there is an invalid page fault in MSCTF.DLL (Microsoft Text Services) during Scribus startup (non-fatal).

And also when it closes, it has a number of application errors (at least four for me):

- invalid page fault in QT-MT3.DLL

- invalid page fault in <unknown> (sometimes QT-MT3.DLL)

- invalid page fault in <unknown> (sometimes QT-MT3.DLL)

- invalid page fault in <unknown>

I have not done any real testing in Scribus since I've only just got it to actually load to the GUI...

Requires GhostScript 8.6x or newer (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostscript/) and GDI+.

According to the Scribus Software Requirements:

Windows 98 and ME are not supported at all as there are many functions in Scribus which depend on features available only on Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Hehe :) - not anymore!

Scribus 1.3.5.1 (devel)

This development version is actually more stable (and much faster) on 9x/KEx than 1.3.3.13 (stable :} *irony*).

GSWIN32C windows pop up briefly during Scribus startup and occasionally when certain tasks are performed.

For example, selecting Help, About Scribus, pops up a GSWIN32C window for a moment.

When closing, it has an invalid page fault in KERNEL32.DLL, sometimes followed with an invalid page fault in MSVCR80.DLL (Visual Studio 2005).

The first time a new install of Scribus is run, it builds a font cache (slow).

In 1.3.3.x, it did this everytime :} (probably a Windows 9x issue)

However, in 1.3.5.1, it only does it the first time and then just checks for any changed fonts thereafter.

Both versions appear usable in Windows 9x with KernelEx 4.0 Final 2

Thanks Xeno86 - This is a really cewl adventure.

Each version is like unwrapping a present - Nice work!

Top marks :)

Edited by RetroOS

Possible bug report for KernelEx 4.0 Final 2

After installing it and running Windows under load for ~8 hours, Tiny Personal Firewall started throwing TdiHook errors when trying to view webpages under IE6, and I was unable to open DOS windows (it would throw out of memory errors even though any 32-bit program seemed to work fine, aside from internet using programs making TPF throw TdiHook errors). This has never happened on this machine before, and the program load was normal for this machine. No amount of closing programs resolved the issue and a reboot was required.

Queue

Possible bug report for KernelEx 4.0 Final 2

After installing it and running Windows under load for ~8 hours, Tiny Personal Firewall started throwing TdiHook errors when trying to view webpages under IE6, and I was unable to open DOS windows (it would throw out of memory errors even though any 32-bit program seemed to work fine, aside from internet using programs making TPF throw TdiHook errors). This has never happened on this machine before, and the program load was normal for this machine. No amount of closing programs resolved the issue and a reboot was required.

Queue

Is Sygate Personal Firewall different from Tiny one?

Is Sygate Personal Firewall different from Tiny one?

Slightly, they are different programs, but Tiny was its name before Sygate bought it. As far as I know, the versions of Sygate used on Win9x are Tiny with a different UI layout and branding but the same firewall core.

Queue

Xeno, Tihiy, big thanks guys for KernelEx 4.0 Final 2!

It's even better than previous version.

Xeno86, you're not banned from MSFN. But all Poland IP's are, for the time being. This is a necessary and unavoidable mesure, at the moment. None of this is directed at you, don't take it personally. Please do not go away, you're a most valued member of our community. I'm sure Tihiy can host KernelEX from Russia, which would solve the present problem in an acceptable way.

I understand that those damned spammers from my country (unfortunately) are more than annoying but we have in Poland really bad associations as regards collective responsibility (from WW2).

Edited by rainyd

well foxit reader hasnt really worked on 9x since version 2.2

I was able to get 3.1 to run on 98se with a quick hexedit.

Changing getPrinterDataExA to getPrinterDataA but it crashed as soon as i opened a PDF