KernelEx 4.5.2

the best SNES emulator Bsnes (v0.34 - since ver 0.35 they don't work because of QT-based gui) used to work but now crashes with kernel error...

it still runs but crashes soon after loading rom image (***.smc)...any idea ?

(in case, here's the link for Bsnes 034, as it's quite hard to find old version)

http://rapidshare.com/files/352339023/bsnes_v034_bin.rar.html

also Ming/Msys 1.09 shows errors as soon as you lauanch Msys...something 'can't find *** files'

(still works fine on old versions of KernelEX)

probably something to do with new unicode support..as i see some improvements ..now some Winxp-based programs show text properly

anyway thank you for this great release !!

i see big improvements on many programs...

unfortunatelly Gimp 2.6.8 hasn't been working yet
You can replace libgio2...dll with older one (from older Gimp).
Because I have the last version of process explorer but I don't see the "Suspend" button.
Doesn't have anything to do with SuspendThread or KernelEx.
the best SNES emulator Bsnes (v0.34 - since ver 0.35 they don't work because of QT-based gui) used to work but now crashes with kernel error...
Doesn't seem to work on Windows XP. Are you sure it worked? And what's wrong with QT? KernelEx should be able to digest that. I'll test it later.
also Ming/Msys 1.09 shows errors as soon as you lauanch Msys...something 'can't find *** files'
You need to have ..\etc folder. I.e. if you're launching files from c:\mingw\bin, you need to have c:\mingw\etc. Also make sure there is no msys-1.0.dll in \windows\system. Edited by Tihiy

Doesn't seem to work on Windows XP. Are you sure it worked? And what's wrong with QT? KernelEx should be able to digest that. I'll test it later.

yes, it used to work with older KernelEX for sure...as it wasn't compatible because of 'unicode+MSVS C++ 2008 version mismatch'

you can test latest version here as well

http://byuu.org/

it doesn't start at all

also thanks for your tip, I'll test Mingw/Msys like you just said and let you know the result tonight

take care

***UPDATE***

just tried latest Mysy-1.0.11

and i'm having this problem...

This is a post install process that will try to normalize between

your MinGW install if any as well as your previous MSYS installs

if any. I don't have any traps as aborts will not hurt anything.

Do you wish to continue with the post install? [yn ] y

/etc/profile: fork: Permission denied

/etc/profile: fork: No such file or directory

id: write error: Bad file number

works fine after uninstalling KernelEX..

Edited by sjyune

Great work with KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2!

So far it's stable and fast.

IE problems are gone.

It's also fixed a long time problem I've had with Thunderbird 2.

When I clicked on URL links in e-mails, nothing happened...

I have Firefox installed as well - same problem even when Firefox 2 was installed.

I searched the Mozilla forums and all over the Internet, but nothing would fix it!

Now that I have installed KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2, suddenly my e-mail links work!

You guys are the best! :thumbup

I note that KernelEx 4.5 beta 2 has problems shutting down and starting of the system not present in version 4.5 beta 1.

Maybe some details by any chance?

just tried latest Mysy-1.0.11

and i'm having this problem...

I've been able to reproduce the problem, it will be fixed in next release.

Hi.

I have encountered the following problems with KernelEx 4.5 (I had not them with previous versions).

After I installed Beta 1, my PC never shutdowns correctly. Beta 2 did not fixed the problem. I have performed the test - my PC have shutdowned correctly several times after I uninstalled KernelEx.

Well, Beta 1 made my PC certainly more unstable, I needed to press Reset more often than before. However it seems that Beta 2 returned stability to my PC.

The third problem is the one, that worries me the most. After I UNINSTALLED Beta 1 Windows started to behave very strangely. Every shortcut don't work without the KernelEx installed. Shortcuts from the desktop, Start Menu, Quick launch - everything just do nothing when double-clicked. Quick launch toolbar also disappeared from my taskbar after uninstallation, but it can be enabled back. Safe mode and Revolutions Pack uninstallation didn't help also. The bejhavior in the Safe Mode was the same. I even could not open the Control Panel, because its shortcut in the Start Menu did not work. Cached icons for the shortcuts loaded at first, but after several reboots they stopped to load too.

However, I still was able to open My Computer and launch the programs, navigating to their exe files and open documents. Though the system was very unstable. The problem gone after installing KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2, but when I uninstalled it, shortcuts stopped to work again. Previous KernelEx versions left correctly working OS after uninstalling, but these betas didn't. The OS is stable enough when KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2 is installed, but turns to a piece of crap without it.

QtWeb Browser now launches and even is able to perform some browsing, but crashes after pointing on its menu or opening settings dialog with the following error (I have translated the error text from russian, so it may be not perfect):

Program QTWEB caused an invalid page fault

in module QTWEB.EXE at 0187:00d6b4c0.

Registers:

EAX=00000000 CS=0187 EIP=00d6b4c0 EFLGS=00210206

EBX=00000000 SS=018f ESP=0190d4b4 EBP=01b7cd40

ECX=00000000 DS=018f ESI=01b1bce0 FS=2b17

EDX=0140ae84 ES=018f EDI=00000782 GS=0000

Bytes at address CS:EIP:

8b 41 10 8b 4c 24 04 89 88 9c 01 00 00 c2 04 00

Stack data:

00d87ecb 00001672 03b837a0 01b7cd40 00000000 01b0e6e0 0190d2c8 00000000 01b1bce0 0140dd58 01900000 00000000 00000028 01b7cd40 fe6f2d38 00200001

QtWeb also displays black squares instead of its menu and some other interface elements when the Russian Language is set. However, I understand, that you guys did a perfect job and that is not your fault. But I have found one more KenelEx error, connected with it. After I have tried setting WinXP compatibility mode for QtWeb shortcut, explorer crashed:

Program EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault

in module <unknown> at 0000:01 af17d0.

Registers:

EAX=0000269f CS=0187 EIP=01af17d0 EFLGS=00010246

EBX=0094f97e SS=018f ESP=0094f928 EBP=0094f964

ECX=c14f9dd0 DS=018f ESI=0094f9b2 FS=25e7

EDX=0001e5e4 ES=018f EDI=00530000 GS=0000

Bytes at address CS:EIP:

Stack data:

bff72317 00000000 00000000 0094f986 89820e5f 414d0e5f 000016df 00000000 04640000 01580000 01580000 0094fda0 bff7186d 0000269f 00530000 0094f9b8

Thanks for great work, but please help me to make my OS working both with and without KernelEx if it is possible, because it is working system and I don't have (and don't plan to install) other OS on this PC.

Update: Xeno86, your post appeared while I was editing this very long one. Here are my problems with shutting down and rebooting, which always reproduce when KernelEx is installed, and don't reproduce when it is not:

When I try to perform any of these actions, applications starts producing "Application has performed an illegal operation ..." then I have several application blue screens, and everything ends up with empty screen and hourglass pointer. I have to use either Reset or Power.

Edited by M()zart

After I UNINSTALLED Beta 1 Windows started to behave very strangely. (...) Previous KernelEx versions left correctly working OS after uninstalling, but these betas didn't. The OS is stable enough when KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2 is installed, but turns to a piece of crap without it.

It appears that you have installed some software with shell extensions relying on KernelEx extended API, thus making your Explorer unusable without it. You can try installing KernelEx with API extensions disabled to see if those problems persist.

The (un)installation procedure hasn't changed much since 4.0. If you are able to install (downgrade) KernelEx 4.0 after uninstalling 4.5 Betas then it means uninstall was successful and there are no leftouts.

Here are my problems with shutting down and rebooting, which always reproduce when KernelEx is installed, and don't reproduce when it is not:

When I try to perform any of these actions, applications starts producing "Application has performed an illegal operation ..." then I have several application blue screens, and everything ends up with empty screen and hourglass pointer. I have to use either Reset or Power.

Have you checked if downgrading to KernelEx 4.0 Final 2 fixes shutdown issues?

Every shortcut don't work without the KernelEx installed.
It sounds like kexCOM failed to unregister on uninstall which is surprising.

Check [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\InProcServer32] value (after removing 4.5). should be "shell32.dll". Also please tell if you used any uninstallers / Safe Mode.

Edited by Tihiy

Thanks for fast reply. Unfortunately, my will not be that fast ;)

I will get to my Windows 98 PC at this or next weekend and check if there is any buggy shell extension and if the KexCOM was unregistered.

Each time I uninstalled KernelEx, I used its uninstaller through Add/Remove programs or through Total Commander Uninstaller plugin, which is just a shorter way to the Add/Remove programs entries. I never tried other ways of uninstalling KernelEx since 3.5 or so. Every time I uninstalled KernelEx from normal mode, never from Safe mode.

I have tried the safe mode without KernelEx installed, and desktop shortcuts didn't worked too. Actually, the safe mode seemed to be even more unstable than normal one without KernelEx. It crashed after a few clicks. I'll try to enter safe mode with KernelEx installed next time.

I have also performed some testing on my Virtual PC with Windows 98 - no problems were reproduced.

When I uninstall KernelEx was not writes back some entries in the registry. Sample

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\KnownDLLs]

"MSIMG32"="..\\KernelEx\\msimg32.dll"

"PDH"="..\\KernelEx\\pdh.dll"

"PSAPI"="..\\KernelEx\\psapi.dll"

"UXTHEME"="..\\KernelEx\\uxtheme.dll"

"WTSAPI32"="..\\KernelEx\\wtsapi32.dll"

could fix that. thanks

When I uninstall KernelEx was not writes back some entries in the registry. Sample

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\KnownDLLs]

"MSIMG32"="..\\KernelEx\\msimg32.dll"

"PDH"="..\\KernelEx\\pdh.dll"

"PSAPI"="..\\KernelEx\\psapi.dll"

"UXTHEME"="..\\KernelEx\\uxtheme.dll"

"WTSAPI32"="..\\KernelEx\\wtsapi32.dll"

could fix that. thanks

These are remains after direct (without uninstall of previous version) upgrade from versions of KernelEx prior to 4.0 Final 2. Newer versions don't write anything into that key.

Those entries have been created by KernelEx so you can safely remove them.

I have been experiencing graphical corruption over time when any of the latest versions of KernelEx are installed. I also got RP9 in the mix, on Win98SE with SP3, AutoPatcher etc. installed.

Also, I once accidently installed older working version of KernelEx (4.0) over the current one and none of the shortcuts worked afterwards, but unistalling KernelEx and reinstalling new version then uninstalling it and reisntalling old version fixed that. I had to enable QuickLaunch manually too since it disappeared.