KernelEx 4.5.2

I've updated KernelEx 4.0 Final 2 to 4.5 beta 2. I can't confirm that Firefox 3.6 can print. Further I've tested the Foxit Reader 3.0 and 3.1, both crashed after a short time. But now Foxit 2.3 seems to work stable. Before I had done the Update Foxit 2.2 sometimes crashed and 2.3 always. I'll uninstall and install 4.5 beta 2 again and try it again.

OS Win ME - Mark of respect for your work!

Edited by schwups

Foxit 3.14 still depletes resources on 9X systems. I opened and scrolled several PDFs in the 4MB size range with it. After several minutes, system, user, and GDI resources were all down to the low 20% range.

Although I'm just now trying it for the first time, the present version of PDF-Xchange viewer (2.0 build47) works with KernelEX and doesn't deplete resources, although it's memory usage can get high when multiple documents are opened. So far, it seems stable with KernelEX, enough so that I'm considering making it my default PDF reader.

So far, the latest version of KernelEX seems to be working quite well on my 98SE unit. I did experience some short lived graphics issues on a website with interactive Java maps. These disappeared when I left the page and didn't reappear when I returned. The earlier incompatibility with SSM is gone. No problems with VPC 5.1 or any other software I'm using. The present version of SeaMonkey is working quite well with it. Can't test printing with it at this time.

I'd like to see what else would be necessary to get Sandboxie running on 98. Probably asking too much with this one.

Unsure if this is kex or just the new site but MSFN keeps wanting to re-start IE6...

It keeps coming up with the bug report dialog whenever a page loads fully. I have just managed to post this by Stopping the page once I saw the textbox.

Trev

I have been experiencing graphical corruption over time when any of the latest versions of KernelEx are installed. I also got RP9 in the mix, on Win98SE with SP3, AutoPatcher etc. installed.

While I don't think that's KernelEx related problem, please give us more details about this corruption and circumstances under which it happened. A screenshot could be handy as well...

I've updated KernelEx 4.0 Final 2 to 4.5 beta 2. I can't confirm that Firefox 3.6 can print. Further I've tested the Foxit Reader 3.0 and 3.1, both crashed after a short time. But now Foxit 2.3 seems to work stable.

Firefox 3.6 hasn't been reported to have working printing yet. While we have noticed that Foxit Reader 3.1 crashes quite randomly during page scrolling, so far we have been unable to find a scenario that directly leads to a crash during page viewing - if it's not easily repeatable, then it's difficult to fix :(.

Foxit 3.14 still depletes resources on 9X systems. I opened and scrolled several PDFs in the 4MB size range with it. After several minutes, system, user, and GDI resources were all down to the low 20% range.

Can't confirm. I have tested a variety of PDFs and have noticed only one situation that causes leaking GDI resources - repeatedly minimizing and maximizing Foxit window. If you see it leaking under other scenarios then please give us (detailed) steps to reproduce such scenario.

I'd like to see what else would be necessary to get Sandboxie running on 98. Probably asking too much with this one.

You can forget about running it on 9x. It's deeply tied to NT kernel with it's kernel driver 'SbieDrv.sys' plus it has a lot of dependencies on NT security related functionality. You'd better stick to VPC.

Can't confirm. I have tested a variety of PDFs and have noticed only one situation that causes leaking GDI resources - repeatedly minimizing and maximizing Foxit window. If you see it leaking under other scenarios then please give us (detailed) steps to reproduce such scenario.

All it takes to reproduce it here is to open several large PDFs in their own tabs and start switching between them. It isn't necessary to scroll. I used copies of an old herbal publication, 11 parts that average 4700KB each. Opening 4-5 and alternating between them was sufficient. The files are at http://www.swsbm.com/ManualsOther/Culbreth.html

Download about 4 of them, open them in tabs, and start switching between them. It's GDI resources that are drained the most.

edit, additional info

Closing the individual tabs doesn't free up the resources much at all. I've closed all the documents but left Foxit open. GDI is at 17%. They returned to 71% when Foxit was closed.

You can forget about running it on 9x. It's deeply tied to NT kernel with it's kernel driver 'SbieDrv.sys' plus it has a lot of dependencies on NT security related functionality. You'd better stick to VPC.

I wasn't really expecting this to be possible but decided to throw the idea out there, just in case. KernelEX has already accomplished more than most ever thought would be possible so I thought I'd ask. Connectix VPC-5.1 is fine if you can find it, although it probably contains a host of vulnerabilities that won't be fixed in that version, which requires that the host system is also protected. Was hoping a viable security solution that's suitable for the typical user and uses modern software was possible.

Edited by herbalist

All it takes to reproduce it here is to open several large PDFs in their own tabs and start switching between them.

Now you're talking :rolleyes:

I don't know what other info I can give you that I didn't already post. Here, the resource drain is reproducible using any PDFs over 1MB in size. All it takes is opening 3 of them from file in their own tabs, then start switching between the tabs. The GDI resources drop with every tab change until they run out. Gave the OS, KEX version and the version of Foxit being used along with a link to the files I first used. What other info do you want?

[*] Noticeably improved speed of applications which make extensive use of memory.

This was made possible by introducing new memory allocator originating from FreeBSD - jemalloc.

It improves heap memory allocation/free speed and reduces virtual memory fragmentation.

Does it apply to all applications or just "XP only" applications?

[*] Noticeably improved speed of applications which make extensive use of memory.

This was made possible by introducing new memory allocator originating from FreeBSD - jemalloc.

It improves heap memory allocation/free speed and reduces virtual memory fragmentation.

Does it apply to all applications or just "XP only" applications?

New allocator is used in all applications unless you explicitly disable KernelEx extensions in compatibility tab.

That has no effect whatsoever, after the corruption happens things will not get back normal. I've been running here with broken GFX for I think 4 hours now, no change. The leak caused by Opera gets solved almost immediately after closing it, with little or nothing getting "lost" in the resources.

I finally upgraded to the latest KernelEx Beta a couple of days ago and got Firefox3.6 installed and looking how I wanted it, replacing my previous FireFox2.0.0.20 (I think - the last v2 anyway.) The next day, using it, I got graphics corruptions after a while, starting with the browser icons and then generally shifting to more snd more things including system icons, and getting thick black lines across webpages. The machine generally slowed down too. The only way of curing it was a complete reboot, but it would soon return.

After much tearing of hair, I stumbled upon the idea of checking the graphics drivers and found a 2009 issue for my card (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420.) I was surprised, cos it's an older card, but this totally cured my problem. Everything is rock-solid now. It may not be the cause of your problem, though the symptoms seem to be the same, so worth checking.

Edited by PierreLeGnome

There is a scenario in which Miranda IM would damage RP9/system skin objects. RP9 has protection against that, however KernelEx 4.5 can break it. Next version should have that fixed, but i'm not sure about Miranda being so stinky.

OK - I wrote yesterday that Firefox3.6 was rock solid for me, and this is true, but I discovered today that the Java doesn't work anymore. I don't believe I have read anything about that in this thread so far.

Here is what I got:

1) Loading a java-based page I got asked to install a plugin. It tried to do so but the auto installation failed. I tried a manual install with no success.

2) After investigation it transpires that Firefox3.6 needs JRE6update10 minimum to have java work. I eventually got that JRE version installed and then, when I went to the java-based page that had previously asked me for the plugin, I just got a black screen in the java area, and NO request for a plugin download. So nothing works there now.

Not sure how to proceed here. I could revert to a Firefox3.5x - but 3.6 is supposed to be be much faster. Do you know Xeno86 if this factor can be addressed?

Many thanks for all your esteemed work.

1) Loading a java-based page I got asked to install a plugin. It tried to do so but the auto installation failed. I tried a manual install with no success.

2) After investigation it transpires that Firefox3.6 needs JRE6update10 minimum to have java work. I eventually got that JRE version installed and then, when I went to the java-based page that had previously asked me for the plugin, I just got a black screen in the java area, and NO request for a plugin download. So nothing works there now.

Hi ,

I use Java plugin 1.6.0.18 with Firefox 3.6 and I have noticed that too;

if you type "about: plugins" in the address bar of Firefox 3.6, you will see :

Java Platform SE 6 U18

Fichier : C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\NPJP2.DLL

Version : 6.0.180.7

Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18 for Mozilla browsers

with Firefox 3.5.* or previous versions :

Java Platform SE 6 U18

Nom de fichier : C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\npjpi160_18.dll

Classic Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18 for Netscape and Mozilla

So you can see that Firefox 3.6 use the "Next Generation Java Plugin 1.6.*" that doesn't work on W98Se even with KernelEX,

while Firefox 3.5.x and earlier versions and other browsers use "Classic Java Plugin 1.6.* that work without problems on W98SE and KelnelEX (I use KelnelEX 4.0 final 2; I wait for a stable release of the 4.5 version B) ).

Is there a way to made Next Generation Plugin working with KernelEX in the future ?

Thanks Xeno86 and all other for your work :thumbup