KernelEx 4.5.2

Yes, I can confirm that too.

I have Java 6 update 18 installed (next-generation Java plugin is disable) and it works with Firefox 3.5.8 (KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Firefox 3.6 (no matter, if that plugin is disable or enable).

Honestly, I don't know what could be the reason/reasons.

Btw, PierreLeGnome, I don't think that Firefox 3.5.x is so much slower than Firefox 3.6

The bigger problem is that officialy, it could be supported just until August.

Edited by rainyd

Unsure if this is kex or just the new site but MSFN keeps wanting to re-start IE6...

It keeps coming up with the bug report dialog whenever a page loads fully. I have just managed to post this by Stopping the page once I saw the textbox.

Trev

I can confirm the IE6 crashes, although I don't think I've had them while browsing MSFN.

Since upgrading to KernelEx 4.5.x, I get occasional, random IE6 crashes (with default IE6 re-start).

There is no apparent pattern that I can find.

I thought it was just my Windows, but perhaps not.

No other crashes to mention, in fact very stable.

After much tearing of hair, I stumbled upon the idea of checking the graphics drivers and found a 2009 issue for my card (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420.) I was surprised, cos it's an older card, but this totally cured my problem. Everything is rock-solid now. It may not be the cause of your problem, though the symptoms seem to be the same, so worth checking.

Care to share that information? Link?

I have similar graphics glitches and also a nVIDIA card.

I've tested Foxit Reader again. I think Version 2.3 is stable - the function "go to bookmark" doesn't work correct (in this and the newer versions).

If I turn off the toolbars in 3.1, Foxit seems to work more stable. Sometimes I still got the GDI.EXE Error in large documents after scrolling for a longer time.

OS Win ME KEX 4.5 beta 2

Thanks

Unsure if this is kex or just the new site but MSFN keeps wanting to re-start IE6...

It keeps coming up with the bug report dialog whenever a page loads fully. I have just managed to post this by Stopping the page once I saw the textbox.

Trev

I can confirm the IE6 crashes, although I don't think I've had them while browsing MSFN.

Just a heads up on IE6 crashes on MSFN. I have plain vanilla 98SE2ME without KernelEx and mine crashes on MSFN since the site upgrade.  

I've been running 98SE + SP2.1a + 98SE2ME + RP9 + GDI Heap Extender Beta 1 + KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2 continuously for a week without a restart now...

I normally restart my PC every couple of days because it becomes unstable.

However, since installing KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2, it has been so stable and fast that I just haven't needed to.

I've been using Microsoft Word XP, Excel XP, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer 6 SP1, Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0, Firefox 3.6, Windows Media Player 9, VLC media player 1.0.5, and many other apps and applets.

Some of these apps have been continuously open for many days while working on files (saving as I go of course!).

I've been viewing YouTube and other flash videos with Adobe Flash 10.0.45.2 with no problem.

PDF files standalone and webpage imbedded are working fine with Adobe Acrobat 6.0.6.

The only issue I've had, as mentioned previously, is the odd IE6 crash out.

It does not seem to be linked with anything in particular.

Sometimes it's been while reading a webpage of text.

This has happened perhaps five times this week, but has not destabilised Windows!!!

I also have for a long time had problems with Microsoft Word XP (2002) completely locking Windows, mouse and everything.

So far it has not locked the system since installing KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2.

Top marks lads!

A sweet Windows 9x enhancement!

VLC 1.0.5 works for me.
VLC 1.05 is NOT working well here.

Even with a TrueType font, I lose displaying for several menus, like 'Preferences' or the volume level on the interface (Tooltip is displayed, but not the 100% of the actual level).

Also, if I delete the cache and preferences (folder 'vlc' in %windir%\Application Data\), VLC crashes at next launching. I had to keep cache of previous version 1.03.

Having had a closer look, I can also confirm parts of VLC 1.0.5 windows are missing.

The Preferences window and the About window show no text except some "€" Euro symbols...

Even the buttons in those windows show no text.

I can however see the list of keyboard shortcuts under Preferences, Configure Hotkeys, and the titles of each section in Preferences.

Edited by RetroOS

VLC 1.05 is NOT working well here.

... I loose displaying for several menus, like 'Preferences' or the volume level on the interface (Tooltip is displayed, but not the 100% of the actual level).

Also, if I delete the cache and preferences (folder 'vlc' in %windir%\Application Data\), VLC crashes at next launching. I had to keep cache of previous version 1.03.

I can also confirm parts of VLC 1.0.5 windows are missing.

The Preferences window and the About window show no text except some "€" Euro symbols...

Even the buttons in those windows show no text.

I can however see the list of keyboard shortcuts under Preferences, Configure Hotkeys, and the titles of each section in Preferences.

Same thing here (and that's why I downgraded to version 1.03). :}

Tooltips are working and that's almost all what we can use.

Edited by CharlesF

I have an odd problem and was wondering if someone could help. I'm using Win98SE with KernelEx 4.5 beta 2, Firefox 3.5.8, Flash 10.0.45, and the Firefox add-on DownThemAll 1.1.8. It mostly works, but there are a couple of annoying problems:

1. DownThemAll won't save my download directory. Thus I can't use its DTAOneClick feature.

2. If I right-click a link to a file and select "Save link as..." the dialog box asks me whether to save using DownThemAll or Firefox's built-in downloader, as it should. But if I choose DownThemAll it opens the file with the built-in downloader anyway.

Changing the compatibility settings didn't seem to make any difference, but these problems don't happen on my WinXP machine at work. Same version of Firefox and DownThemAll.

Anyone have a clue what's wrong?

Other than that nuisance, I'm really impressed with KernelEx. Great job!

Additional information:

Compatiblitity tab ... / ... improved as well.

Hi Xeno and Tihiy,

I am a computer layman, but like WIN 98 very much and I now had this - previously reported - issue (Kernel32.dll, error appearing when using Scandefrag) twice; that is why I dare submitting it (I have IE Explorer 6 SP1 on WIN 98 SE (4.10.2222 A + (now) KernelEx 4.5 beta 2 + Flashplayer 10 + Java 6.18) :.

After a first try (KEx 4.5 beta 1), I decided to "retain my judgement" (like some ancient Greek philosophers called Sceptics, see: Pyrrhon and Sextus Empiricus, a theorie taken over later by the Scottish philosopher David Hume and others), and I disinstalled completly KernelEx, Flashplayer 10 and Java 6 see : # 2.

Yesterday I tried again: this time with KEx 4.5 beta 2. I first disinstalled Flashplayer 9 and Java 5.22, then installed KernelEx 4.5 beta 2, FLASHPLAYER 10 AND JAVA 6.18 (AND DISABLED NEXT GENERATION PLUGIN). During the scandefrag process (I have the version for WIN 2000), I got the following message:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cvtaplog caused an invalid page fault in KEXBASEN.DLL at 0167:7d00d12e

Registers:

EAX=81700000 CS=0167 EIT=7d00d12e EFLGS=000120297

EBX=00540000 SS=016f ESP=0064faf8 EBP=0064fb3c

ECX=81700000 DS=016f ESI=81716b64 FS=3117

EDX=81700000 ES=016f EDI=00000000 GS=0000

Byes at: CS: EIP

8b 08 89 4d c8 8b 55 08 2b 55 fc 8b 0d 52 72 01

Stack dump:

0040498e 00f0003d 000000c8 00000002 00000000

00000020 0064fb80 00540000 0040de00 00404f3f

00000002 0000001d 00404ef3 87700000 0064fb3c

7d00122e

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I had the time to write it down while scandefrag was running). After restart I went to Start/Find and searched for cvtaplog, because I did not know what it was. After having found it I could reproduce the crah. I then replaced cvtaplog.exe with the intital file with SFC (from C:\windoiws\options\cabs). Then I searched again for cvtaplog, found the replaced (!) file and it crashed again, THIS TIME in Kernel32.dll (similar message than the hexadecimal message above). Finally I replaced Kernel32.dll and ... no more crash !!!. (But the first time the link was to KEXBASEN)

Just for information and with the hope this might help you a bit, I am not able to read the hexadecimal message above!

Good Luck

Roger

edit: see UPPER CASE LETTERS

Edited by RodgerOver

During the scandefrag process (I have the version for WIN 2000), I got the following message:

[...snip...]

Finally I replaced Kernel32.dll and ... no more crash !!!. (But the first time the link was to KEXBASEN)

Just for information and with the hope this might help you a bit, I am not able to read the hexadecimal message above!

Good Luck

Roger

Hi RodgerOver,

The error message that you've posted proves that at the time you got that crash KernelEx 4.5 Beta 1 was running.

I'd like to note that replacing Kernel32.dll from install media effectively stops KernelEx from functioning.

Note that you can always check the version of KernelEx currently running on your system by right clicking on any executable, selecting 'Properties' and switching to 'Compatiblity' tab, at the bottom you should see vesion of KernelEx currently running. It should say "KernelEx Core v4.5.2" for KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2.

If you don't see 'Compatibility' tab then it means that KernelEx is not running.

I would suggest a clean install of KernelEx, that is uninstalling the version you have currently installed, rebooting, removing C:\WINDOWS\KernelEx directory if it exists, installing KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2 and rebooting once again.

Don't forget to let us know if you still have problems.

Cheers,

-Xeno86

Bang banG BanG BANG BaNG BAnG .... I can't say how many times to bang the magic twanger, Froggy.. for old people....

I am running Mozilla Firefox 3.6 to do this...

Thing is, I had to read about forty-leven pages to figure out that you had to right-click the *.exe application to set the 'configuration'. But what do I know.

I still don't have a clue as to what I am doing... It just functions right now.

Mebbe someone of the cognoscenti can leave a trifle here and there...

The Old URLs are apparently no longer available, and thus all the information[to me?] about how to do this is lost...

tomw

I wanted to report a few problems running some programs with this Beta 2 release in Win98SE:

Universal Extractor V1.6 installs normally in compatibility mode, starts normally and runs, but can't extract any files from any archive I tried. It correctly determines the archive type, but gives error: "Extracting failed" with no reason and empty log file. It must be related to some incompatibility, otherwise at least some archive types would extract normally. The program uses a number of plugins to extract various packed files. I also tried to select a XP2 compatibility mode for each plugin separately, but it didn't help. Very helpful program, when looking for particular files packed in .exe archives without installing them.

Also questions: does KernelEx automatically support any running program, unless disabled in Compatibility Tab? If yes, what OS compatibility mode it supports by default, if no mode is selected by user? If the same program (like Opera 10.5) can run under many Windows OSs, what its mode would KernelEx auto support by default?

Edited by simco51

Another issue with KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2 on Win98SE:

DriveSoft runs OK without install. It asks for mfc42u.dll file from Windows VisualStudio redistributable vc6redistsetup_enu.exe. I unpacked the .exe file with 7zip, and copied mfc42u.dll to system folder and registered it with regsvr32. DriveSoft runs normally now, but doesn't work: it scans the PC connected drives, but can't open any of them giving error: "Can't open the drive. The system can't find the file specified". DriveSort is needed to sort the files before playing movies on a standalone DVD player via a USB connected Fat32 hard drive: it sorts the files on the drive by name instead of default by saving sequence. The author answered: "DriveSort will not run under Win98SE because versions of windows older than Windows NT4/2000 have a different way of providing access the low level disk programming interfaces, which DriveSort needs to interact with the FAT and lock your disk while doing so."

Can this issue be resolved by KernelEx? It seems to be a valid issue for any Disk Copy program in such case. May be this is the reason for Universal Extractor above to fail too: its plugins can write to disk? But some of those run under Win98SE on their own without problems.

Edited by simco51

Universal Extractor V1.6 installs normally in compatibility mode, starts normally and runs, but can't extract any files from any archive I tried.

KernelEx is not supposed to run every program for Win XP :whistle: . So it is not really an issue.

Universal Extractor 1.6 is nor running on plain vanilla Windows 98:

From UniExtract ChangeLog:

1.6 (10/17/2008):

Removed support for Windows 9x due to new Unicode version of AutoIt;

9x was never officially supported, but it will not even execute now ,

and nor after install of KernelEx 4.0 or 4.5 :no: .

Core version 1.5 is running well but you will have to update a few files.

For instance, if you have version 1.6 beta, you can replace the 'UniExtract.exe' file by version 1.5 :rolleyes: ,

but that doesn't work in version 1.6 final :} .

HTH

Edited by CharlesF

Thanks. If not ANY program, what kind of XP programs KernelEx is supposed to run in Win98SE? It was also mentioned, MS Unicode Layer unicows.dll is supported and required for using KernelEx, so I was thinking, applications wouldn't need to call or support unicows.lib, since KernelEx would do a universally good job for them as a layer with Unicode support in Win 98. In that sense, why would Universal Extractor need to support Win98, when the whole point of using KernelEx is to run programs that don't support Win98 on their own?

Edited by simco51