KernelEx 4.5.2

Oh, none first-handed, because I uninstalled KEx as soon as I got that notification in RP9. However, after reading the reports around I realize there is some sort of incompatibility between them and since real life doesn't currently allow me to use the other machines for testing, I decided not to put my main machine at risk. Sorry for that, I'm just going through some bad times.

BTW, I have no more connections with the Miranda IM project so no need for you to put extra effort in for me. Also, since I don't currently have any replacement messenger, can't contact you in ICQ anymore as I promised. Thank you for everything you've done so far!

Hello,

O/S: Windows Me 4.90.3000

KernelEx v 4.0 RC1 or RC2

KernelEx unable to install v 4.0 RC1 or RC2

At Reboot the computer: Message: "Windows could not upgrade the file% 1 from% 2% 1:% 2"

What can I do?

Thank you in advance for your answers

Cordialy

PS:The version 0.36 to install correctly

Edited by gg41

Well, I have just answered my own question. Yahoo Messenger 9 (YM9) wouldn't work in Win98Se even with KernelEX RC2. Whenever I tried installing YM9, a Windows installer message box would first pop-up informing me about a "wrong path" or something like that (Sorry, I wasn't able to write it down). But then, I would click on "OK" then installation would continue but, it will then inform me that the YUI.dll is linked to a missing Shell32.dll: SHCreateDirectory.Exw (yeah, this one, I was able to write down), hence, YM9 won't run.

I tried to use the Kernel compatibility tab but it still won't work. Don't know if I missed something in the whole process or this really needs some fixing from Xeno.

Anyway Xeno, hope you can look into this. Thanks!

Edited by jglori

Issue Report:

O/S: Windows 98SE v4.10.2222 (Traditional Chinese)

KEx Ver: KernelEx Core v4.0.12

App: gdi++.dll FreeType2 edition (gdi0850, version: 8.0.2007.0927)

Descript: FreeType2 font rendering does not work.

Reproduce: Run gdippManager.exe, and enable font rendering from the menu.

Work Pre-KEx?: No. And I ran the program in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.

Notes:

gdi++.dll official homepage (original edition without FreeType2 support, discontinued)

http://drwatson.nobody.jp/gdi++/index-en.html

gdi++.dll @ wiki

http://www18.atwiki.jp/gdiplus2/pages/1.html

http://www18.atwiki.jp/gdiplus2/pages/15.html

--------------

Besides, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5 is compatible with KernelEx 4.0 RC 2, and BitDefender v10 command line scanner coexists with KernelEx 4.0 RC 2 by disabling extensions. :thumbup

@Xeno86

In addition to the problem I encountered with Yahoo Messenger 9, I would also like to report that I still have problems using Flash 10. I followed the instructions given here on how to install it and it does get installed without any hitches. However when I start browsing the net (I use Fire Fox 3), it will crash, and an error message will appear, saying that Fire Fox had an error involving "dumping" or something like that. I'm very sorry, I wasn't able to write it down.

Would it help if I install another patch to help address this problem? Right now, my rig only has KernelEX RC4, Root Certificate update, Shell98, and the latest unofficial security patch.

Hope you can help me. Thanks!

I use Traditional Chinese Windows 98SE

After I installed Kex RC2, I can install FireFox 3 without any problem. I can use it to browse.

I tried to install Flash10 after putting in the Regedit

Current Version/NT thing and it installed OK.

Tried to browse Flash movie after that. It works OK with FireFox 1.5.

Then I go to my ME machine and

tried to install Kex RC2 on my Traditional Chinese ME

During the install, I got this error:

ERROR: exportfromX: pattern not found

setup return 2

At the time it was extracting setupkex.

Is there any manual way to install Kex to get pass this error?

Thanks

Two questions:

1. Could the new KEx architecture be conceivably used to stub-out missing imports from non-system dlls? For example, could I choose for a gtkmm dll placed in an application's binary folder to stub-fake a non-critical void-return function?

2. How often does KEx update now? When should we expect RC 3?

Yesterday I have briefly installed Maxthon 2.5.1.4751 in an attempt to test some web-related issues. Long story short, it uses as many Unicode function versions as possible, but inspite that, they all seem to load fine here except for mfc42u.dll - that one throws a messagebox stating it can only be run on Windows NT and not on Windows 95 or 3.1 (!!!) and also on a Dependency Walker profiling it requires mfc42loc.dll (localized version of mfc42.dll, I suppose). Note that I did not have KernelEx installed at the time (just didn't occur to me :blushing: ).

1. Has anyone tested the 2.x line of Maxthon with KernelEx and got it working?

2. If not working, what's the ETA of implementing mfc42u.dll's function set in KernelEx, if any?

(this may well be in line with SlugFiller's question above)

how to remove old version of KernelEx manually?

I've removed the RP7 without removing the old kernelex off my system, I have problem installing RP9 now since the old kernelex is running on my system.

again, how to remove the kernelex manually (the uninstall option was lost after removing the RP7)

Edited by cruzades

I found some problems with KernelEx. Some text editors, for example, akelpad (and there are others) have troubles when entering non-english letters (russian, for example). These problems disappear after disabling KernelEx for the editor. And there are problems with copying to clipboard in some applications. I think there were not such troubles in KernelEx 3. Luckily I can disable KernelEx for such apps.

Just a warning if you don't already know ,if you try to install Office XP with Exkernel RC2 and probably RC1 as well you could receive an internal error message. In the event that this happens just go to the setup file on the disk and disable Exkernel and the error should not occur anymore. If you get the same error again upon the installation after the restart uninstall Exkernel and try to install it again.

Edited by Derkach99

Another issue. Akelpad when started with KernelEx enabled does not load its plugins on startup. With KernelEx disabled all is OK.

And one question. May be its time to add some ntdll.dll functions? I'm lacking NtQuerySystemInformation for VistaStartMenu, though I have written patch for it with a function stub, that does nothing. And I know a man who lacks NtShutdownSystem, which can be implemented with SHExitWindowsEx from Shell32.dll.

Edited by M()zart