KernelEx 4.5.2

I've copied kernel32.dll from the install media to the system directory of the ME installation . (I'm running WinXP)

For curiosity I've copied kernel32.dll from Win98SE CD to Windows\Sysbckup directory and looks like that finally I'm successfull. :)

Edited by rainyd

should I just un-install the old version then re-boot and install the new?

I would say that you MUST uninstall KernelEx before installing the new version,

because it is patching the KERNEL32.DLL and making first a backup of the original file in his folder (KERNEL32.BAK in directory %WINDIR%\KernelEx).

If you do the new install 'on the top', the backup will be of the former patched file,

and the original unpatched file would be lost (to be able to restore it, in case of problem).

because it is patching the KERNEL32.DLL and making first a backup of the original file in his folder (KERNEL32.BAK in directory %WINDIR%\KernelEx).

If you do the new install 'on the top', the backup will be of the former patched file,

and the original unpatched file would be lost (to be able to restore it, in case of problem).

Done as you said, no problems so far.

When un-installing the previous version I said NO to remember personal customisations.

When installing the new final version prior to launching should the following be set on the exe file? I know it is already set at this but just thought to ask.

Use default compatibility options.

Edited by frogman

Xeno, Tihiy, congratulations for a new version di Kex.... thanks for your great work

I must report problem with installation of new KEx

sometimes occurs following

GOOGLEEARTH 5.2 version kex 4.5 final 2000sp4

GOOGLEEARTH caused an invalid page fault in

form KERNEL32.DLL in 0187:bff80616.

Registers:

EAX=005500b4 CS=0187 EIP=bff80616 EFLGS=00010206

EBX=8238aef8 SS=018f ESP=0054fff0 EBP=00550074

ECX=00000003 DS=018f ESI=000000ff FS=193f

EDX=00000000 ES=018f EDI=005500c0 GS=0000

Byte CS:EIP:

89 45 88 53 8b 45 08 56 8d 55 80 57 89 4d 94 c6

When installing the new final version prior to launching should the following be set on the exe file? I know it is already set at this but just thought to ask.

Use default compatibility options.

Yes, you should keep this option as default.

Only if you have a problem with some program, you can disable KernelEx or set specific compatiblity mode.

Sorry but I must report problem with installation of new KEx: when I've tried to do that, I've got message:

"Error: Failed to open backup file C:\Windows\Sysbckup\Kernel32.dll.

Possible causes: previous version not uninstalled correctly or file has been deleted.

Restore C:\Windows\System\Kernel32.dll manually from install media".

It doesn't matter if I have previous version of KEx installed or not.

This basically means that the previous uninstallation of KernelEx wasn't 'clean' and kernel32.dll wasn't unpatched.

The common cause is KERNEL32.BAK file being deleted. The uninstaller is designed to not complain if it can't revert kernel32.dll modifications.

By previous uninstallation I mean any of KernelEx 4.5 RC1 through RC5 because al these releases shared the same patching scheme and they could detect that file has already had compatible patch applied and didn't complain, even when there was no original kernel32.dll.

KernelEx 4.5 Final uses different patch because of changes made to the installer. The backup of kernel32.dll is no longer stored in KernelEx directory, instead it's now stored under C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP\KERNEL32.DLL so it won't be accidentally deleted by cleanup tools or user. The file stored under SYSBCKUP is always original (unpatched) file.

I've got the same message. After restoring kernel32.dll the setup runs.

In my case installation was stopped (cancelled).

When I've uploaded kernel32.dll to Sysbckup directory, I've got message:

"Error: subsystem_check: pattern not found".

This is not the way it works as you've already noticed :rolleyes:

Don't try to outsmart the installer :sneaky:

If it says it needs a file from install media it acutally means it.

The installer has the ability to upgrade any version of KernelEx from 4.0 RC1 onwards, it will use the backup file wisely and nothing shall be lost.

It is smart enough to not let you shoot yourself in the foot. Eg. it won't allow double install without reboot or uninstall and install without reboot.

Acutally the only thing it can't do is downgrading.

So if I put a clean KERNEL32.DLL into the backup folder, I will not be getting uninstall errors etc. ? If so, lovely :D

Well the only reason to do this by hand that would be a mysterious disappearance of the backup made automatically by the installer.

Under normal circumstances you shouldn't worry about this. Also since KernelEx 4.5 Final the backup is now persistent - it won't be removed on uninstall and won't be stored in KernelEx dir.

GOOGLEEARTH 5.2 version kex 4.5 final 2000sp4

GOOGLEEARTH caused an invalid page fault in

form KERNEL32.DLL in 0187:bff80616.

Registers:

EAX=005500b4 CS=0187 EIP=bff80616 EFLGS=00010206

EBX=8238aef8 SS=018f ESP=0054fff0 EBP=00550074

ECX=00000003 DS=018f ESI=000000ff FS=193f

EDX=00000000 ES=018f EDI=005500c0 GS=0000

Byte CS:EIP:

89 45 88 53 8b 45 08 56 8d 55 80 57 89 4d 94 c6

Another Google Earth 5.2 failure:

GOOGLEEARTH caused an exception c06d007eH in module GOOGLEEARTH.EXE at 0177:004023be.

Registers:

EAX=0064fd1c CS=0177 EIP=004023be EFLGS=00000246

EBX=00000000 SS=017f ESP=0064fcc0 EBP=0064fd10

ECX=ea9292d0 DS=017f ESI=00404f3c FS=71af

EDX=81d63818 ES=017f EDI=00000000 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8b 45 d8 e9 f3 00 00 00 57 ff 75 e8 ff 15 50 40

Stack dump:

00400000 0000002c 00000000 00000024 00404f3c 00406250 004041c0 00000001 00404f86 00000000 00000000 0000001f bff70000 bfa05345 00406258 00000000

I had to use Orca on the MSI in Windows\Temp to delete all references to "9x" and it installed. When I try to run it, the aforementioned error occurs.

Edited by EvanD

What does it mean that it works with Windows 95 shell?
You should test. But theoretically, it should work. And thus make SH95UPD a bit obsolete.

Next release is final and delayed because we don't have time. RC6.rar is close to final. You can post it probably; i can't because xeno would punch me.

Firstly, thanks to you and Xeno for your much-appreciated work. :)

Now, simply (as it's still unclear to me at least) - does this mean that KernelEx is now (or should be) compatible with W95?

(There have been requests for this from W95 users, and previously, the nearest offering has been SH95UPD.)

BTW, just took a quick look at the Compatibility Database in the Wiki at SF. It's not clear how new app's are added to this, but perhaps the page looks different once you register and login (maybe a new ADD button becomes visible). I'll check further into this when time permits.

Joe.

Hi Xeno, I don't think it is necessary the installer does this:

NUL=C:\WINDOWS\WININIT.LOG

DIRNUL=C:\_RESTORE\TEMP

I even think it's very bad actually since log of wininit operations gets lost (why should it?) and any files previously replaced on startup by wininit which gets backed up in that dir on WinME also get lost (why should they?)

Unless perhaps you are doing this because of some issue with system restore which I am not using (removed from my system since eons)?

Seems to be running great as usual otherwise.

Cheers and happy new year everyone. :hello:

Well, I am back to the same problem again with trying to print from Firefox. Crashes every time. Too late to roll back to Firefox 2 (didn't save it). Seemed to work for awhile with the newer version of Kernel EX, but this problem has occurred with every version and whatever the core problem is, it still isn't fixed. Works for some people though I guess, but not for me and a number of others who have posted the problem here over the years

John

Well, I am back to the same problem again with trying to print from Firefox. Crashes every time. Too late to roll back to Firefox 2 (didn't save it). Seemed to work for awhile with the newer version of Kernel EX, but this problem has occurred with every version and whatever the core problem is, it still isn't fixed. Works for some people though I guess, but not for me and a number of others who have posted the problem here over the years

John

All the versions of Firefox are available here if you do need to roll back.

:)