KernelEx 4.5.2

Explorer crashes by KernelEx?

During Win98SE boot I occasionally get an Explorer crash related to KernelEx. After closing the invalid page fault message, the taskbar restarts and windows works normal.

This is the crash message:

EXPLORER verursachte einen Fehler durch eine ungültige Seite
in Modul KERNELEX.DLL bei 024f:bfa0392c.
Register:
EAX=81d61254 CS=024f EIP=bfa0392c EFLGS=00010246
EBX=81d2ef24 SS=0257 ESP=00a6f840 EBP=00a6f894
ECX=52505c45 DS=0257 ESI=66801eae FS=40cf
EDX=0000001b ES=0257 EDI=81d910b0 GS=0000
Bytes bei CS:EIP:
8b 49 04 8b 51 34 3b f2 72 09 8b 49 50 03 ca 3b
Stapelwerte:
81d2ef24 00000000 71000000 bfa07b3e 66801eae bff803ae 81d30020 bff803ae 81d2fe84 00000000 66801f14 bff76da8 71000000 00000000 66801eae 71000000

It may be also related to the SHELL98D bugfix (SHELL32.DLL update), because although SHELL98D has fixed nasty Explorer bugs in Win98SE, it has introduced a nasty new one.

When I drag and drop files between 2 Explorer windows (e.g. for copying saved E-Mail text files to diskette), Explorer often crashes so deep that it can not be restarted anymore. Any attempt of restarting Explorer or even selecting things from the quicklaunch menu pops up the same crash requester and restarts the taskbar. The only way to make Windoze useable again is to shutdown using CTRL-ALT-DEL, because also "shutdown" from quicklaunch only re-triggers the popup.

FineSSE displayed the following register contents:

Unhandled Eception in
Process Id: fffcd92f
Thread Id: fff0d563

ExceptionCode: c0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION)
ExceptionAddress: bfb93c65

Registers:
EAX=002a005c CS=024f EIP=bff99b32 EFLAGS=00000246
EBX=0059fba0 SS=0257 ESP=0059fb48 EBP=0059fb80
ECX=ecbd3670 DS=0257 ESI=00000000 FS=357f
EDX=bffc9490 ES=0257 EDI=e82897e0 GS=0000

Bytes at CS EIP:
66 8B 39 66 8B 18 D1 EF D1 EB 66 81 E7 EF 3D 66

Exiting after:
0 Illegal Instructions
1 Access Violation

(I had to type this in from a digicam photo since Windows in crashed state refuses to start anything to save it from clipboard to, but only restarts the popup. I hope I made no typos.)

Is this caused by KernelEx or SHELL98D? Can anybody decipher why it happens?

Edited by CyberyogiCoWindler

Installed Java 6 Update 24 yesterday on XP and Windows 98 (dual boot machine).

No problems with it, but had to directly use the extracted msi installer on Windows 98 as described.

:)

Hi, can you help me with installing the latest Java on my Windows 98 machine.

I have KernelEx installed.

No problems with it, but had to directly use the extracted msi installer on Windows 98 as described.

Why not reading the post just above the one you quote? :w00t:

Why not reading the post just above the one you quote? :w00t:

I did, but when I find the msi installer and I open it I receive a windows message saying " This installation package could not be opened, contact the application vendor to verify this is a valid windows installer package".

Edited by frogman

I did, but when I find the msi installer and I open it I receive a windows message saying " This installation package could not be opened, contact the application vendor to verify this is a valid windows installer package".

What is in the folder with the msi file?

It needs at least a file called Data1.cab to be in the same folder or it won't work.

On my machine there are four other files in the folder, gtapi.dll, lzma.dll, OpenOffice_banner.jpg, and sp1033.MST, but I don't know how necessary they are to the installer.

What is in the folder with the msi file?

There are 2 files, one being the installer, and the other is an image file called OpenOffice_banner.

And I have the system set to show ALL files.

That's the problem then, you need at least Data1.cab as well.

Try running the installer package again, and leave it running when it throws up the OS error message.

Search for Data1.cab and you should now find it in the folder with the msi file.

Copy and paste all the files in that folder to a temporary folder.

About the running installation, at which point the original folder you found the files in will probably be deleted by the installer.

Go the the folder you copied the files to and run the msi file.

Should work!

:yes:

That's the problem then, you need at least Data1.cab as well.

Try running the installer package again, and leave it running when it throws up the OS error message.

Search for Data1.cab and you should now find it in the folder with the msi file.

Copy and paste all the files in that folder to a temporary folder.

About the running installation, at which point the original folder you found the files in will probably be deleted by the installer.

Go the the folder you copied the files to and run the msi file.

Should work!

:yes:

Nope, when I open the installer the error message appears right away, and the cab file does not show in the folder where the installer is.

I have searched my system for the Data1.cab, and there are 3 instances of this file, but none of them work as suggested so perhaps these 3 are not the ones we are looking for.

The files you need should be in C:\Windows\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_24

If they're not there after you run the installer package I don't know why.

When you say the error message appears straight away when you run the installer, do you mean the msi installer or the original package installation file?

Edited by Dave-H

The files you need should be in C:\Windows\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_24

When you say the error message appears straight away when you run the installer, do you mean the msi installer or the original package installation file?

The msi installer.

Anyway I managed to install it, but it's no good because even though it installed and shows as the updated version in control panel when I test it using FF3.6.15 and I.E6 it brings up 2 ms dos windows, one after the other both in black, then when the disappear the box where the applet should be is in black too, so in other words although it installed the java doesn't work when testing or playing yahoo pool.

May it be that your installer file was an incomplete download?

With my Java installer FineSSE showed a stack overflow when it exited during installation. Closing the window did not remove the MSI file from its unpack location. After install Firefox displays its existence in the Add-on list. But the "Java" icon in the system control panel does nothing. (May I need to uninstall all old Java versions before installation?)

Could we please have someone put up a "sticky" post about Java? Please!? Hoping some will, here's a bit of advice:

Mention the last officially working versions for 95, 98 and ME.

Have a walk-through (perhaps with pictures) about how to get the latest version to install on 98 and ME.

Mention the fact that the Next-gen plugin needs disabled in the Control Panel. (Probably needs the plugin folder renamed too).

Inform folks that (at least as of now) that Firefox 3.6.x and 4.x aren't going to work. 3.5.x and Seamonkey (as of now) are.

Find out if KernelEx is absolutely required for the latest Java ( I don't think that it is).

Edited by Steven W

<snip>

The msi installer.

Anyway I managed to install it, but it's no good because even though it installed and shows as the updated version in control panel when I test it using FF 3.6.15 and I.E6 it brings up 2 ms dos windows, one after the other both in black, then when the disappear the box where the applet should be is in black too, so in other words although it installed the java doesn't work when testing or playing yahoo pool.

JRE u24 java applets will work with Firefox 3.5.16. They will not work with FF 3.6.x. The trick for installing it is given by WIN98SE here. You can test your installation at Java Test. (I also uncheck Java Control Panel - Advanced - Java Plug-in - Enable the next generation plug-in.)

FF 3.5.16 works well as long as you're not a stickler for the latest browser security updates.

IE6 java applets no longer appear to test properly at the above Java Test but they do seem to work when they're tested at javatester.org.

Edited by EvanD