KernelEx 4.5.2

FF 3.5.16 works well as long as you're not a stickler for the latest browser security updates.

That's not exactly accurate, the 3.5.x branch is still being updated. I believe Mozilla keeps updating the current release as well as the previous. There's been some delay with the release of 4.0, so 3.5.x is still being updated. As a matter of fact, you can get 3.5.17 now:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

Even their site is misleading, it states "Firefox 3.5.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until August 2010." 3.5.17 was released March 1, 2011:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.5.17/releasenotes/

Edited by Steven W

Is anyone here having issues with firefox 4 portable?

I just can't get it to run properly. It keeps freezing and crashing on basically every site i try to visit. The only two web pages that work (i.e. manage to load) are "welcome to firefox" page, and firefox homepage (google). I tried various combinations of JIT compilation, even turning it completely off for both chrome and content, i disabled flash plugin, out of process plugins, hardware acceleration (just in case). What's funny is that firefox 4 consumes less memory on startup (according to wintop), and its UI feels more responsive than that of firefox 3.6, it's just that web pages are not loading and then whole application becomes unresponsive.

It might be due to seriously underpowered system i'm trying to run it on, (p3 500, 128mb ram), but still on that same system firefox 3.6 runs just fine. :D

Any ideas?

p.s

Win98 SE with KernelEx 4.5 final.

Edited by rustweaver

It might be due to seriously underpowered system i'm trying to run it on, (p3 500, 128mb ram), but still on that same system firefox 3.6 runs just fine. :D

Same here with an AMD Opteron 154 (2.8Ghz) and 2GB of RAM. :yes:

Same here with an AMD Opteron 154 (2.8Ghz) and 2GB of RAM. :yes:

In that case, it's most probably not hardware related problem because of big difference in computational power between both systems.

Hope this is in the right place, but I tried to install the latest Quicktime player with KernelEx, but a windows message appears saying it needs Windows XP or Vista, but I have tried it in either default compatibility, or in XP mode, and also tried using the msi but unfortunately there is no KernelEx showing in the properties, so therefore I am unable to change any compatibility modes, and even trying the msi in default brings up the same message about the system requirements.

Any ideas?

Hope this is in the right place, but I tried to install the latest Quicktime player with KernelEx, but a windows message appears saying it needs Windows XP or Vista, but I have tried it in either default compatibility, or in XP mode, and also tried using the msi but unfortunately there is no KernelEx showing in the properties, so therefore I am unable to change any compatibility modes, and even trying the msi in default brings up the same message about the system requirements.

Any ideas?

The latest version of QuickTime that supports Windows 98 is 6.5.2.

I don't think anyone has got any version of QuickTime 7 to work on Windows 98, and the latest version even for Windows 2000 is only 7.1 (current is 7.6).

Later versions can be made to work on Windows 2000 using the KDW extensions, but I don't think the KernelEx extensions will allow them to work on Windows 98 I'm afraid.

:no:

Edited by Dave-H

Any ideas?

In the first place, why you need QuickTime - it's well known bloatware.

I would recommend you to install (if you really need it) a QuickTime Alternative.

Any ideas?

The latest version of QuickTime that supports Windows 98 is 6.5.2.

I don't think anyone has got any version of QuickTime 7 to work on Windows 98, and the latest version even for Windows 2000 is only 7.1 (current is 7.6).

Later versions can be made to work on Windows 2000 using the KDW extensions, but I don't think the KernelEx extensions will allow them to work on Windows 98 I'm afraid.

:no:

Ah, that will be the reason then perhaps, I have 6.5.2 player installed anyway, when I check that installer it says version is 7.69.80.9, and the msi says 192e1da.

Yes, that's the latest version.

If you are happy to pay for QuickTime Pro, I would say it's well worth it, but if you only want the free player, I would agree with rainyd, there are better "alternatives".

If you just want to play later QT files, such as HD files which QT 6 won't play, use QT Alternative or indeed the VLC Player.

The last version of VLC for windows 98 (0.8.6i) plays HD H264 files quite happily.

:)

Has anyone had success with running the latest version of Docx2Rtf under Windows 98?

The previous version (3.8) worked fine without KernelEx. The current one gives me an illegal operation, even if used with KernelEx.

Firefox 3.5.18 is now available (released on March 19, 2011):

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.5.18/win32/

Click the directory for the language you prefer.

This will likely be the last of the 3.5 series releases as Firefox 4 went final today.

Why have they released an updated version of the 3.5 series when there is currently a 3.6 series?