Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1557 replies to this topic

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Good job man! Great to see people still supporting older operating systems. Firefox 3 on an OS that old??? Awsome idea to help security!!!

[Passive Gamer] Silverstone TJ08-EW | Intel Core i7 3770S | Silverstone Heligon HE02 | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | ASUS GTX 750 Ti Strix OC 2GB | Antec Neo HE 550W |

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

gkar

gkar

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
Any chance of getting Cinema Craft Encoder Basic to work using KernelEX?
"Now that I'm dying I've never felt better!"
In Memory of Andreas Katsulas 1946-2006

EvanD

EvanD

KISS Advocate

• 32 posts
Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 doesn't work under 4.0 RC 1 for me. I've gone back to 0.3.6 and it works. On 98SE, I get a "Acrobat can't load core.dll" dialog as a start-up message and Reader 7.0 never loads.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
Official eMule 0.49c won't finish any download. Final hashing always ends up in error "Unexpected error while completing <file name> [...] This function is only valid in Win32 mode". Uninstalling KernelEx 4.0.11 (official release, not a self-built version) fixed the issue.

Chozo4

Chozo4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
So far so good with KernelEx v4.0-RC1. Haven't tested everything overall but I've noticed that a few programs were spitting out missing file notices after KernelEx update, Namely DWMAPI.DLL and MSWEBAPI.DLL. Downloading those files and putting them in their proper places resolved my issues with that.

To add a program better functioning:
--Trillian ASTRA
+Now correctly loads/saves certain configuration files and user data in their proper places (%windir%/Application data/Trillian) rather than in it's own install folder.
+Notification sounds are finally working.
+Crash dumps are now saved properly instead of the jumbled path '?<?rogram Files\trillian'

Issues encountered:
File: WINHELP32.EXE (v4.10.0.1998 - Stock Win98se)
Error: Looping of 'WINHLP32 caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:80000001'.
Resolution: Check in 'Disable KernelEx extentions for this program' under compatibility tab.

File: RUNDLL32.EXE (v5.1.0.2600 - Revolutions Pack 7)
Error: 'RUNDLL32 caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:80000001'.
Resolution: Restore stock RunDLL32.exe from installation CABS/CD using System File Checker.
Notes: This will disable the functionality of changing windows version in the first compatibility tab (RP7). Use the KEX compatibility tab (second one) instead for that purpose.

Official eMule 0.49c won't finish any download. Final hashing always ends up in error "Unexpected error while completing <file name> [...] This function is only valid in Win32 mode". Uninstalling KernelEx 4.0.11 (official release, not a self-built version) fixed the issue.

Have you tried checking in 'Disable KernelEx extentions for this program' in the compatibility tab and seeing if that resolves it?

Note that this reply underwent heavy edits during some intial testing

Edited by Chozo4, 19 March 2009 - 03:33 AM.

rustweaver

rustweaver

• 12 posts
Here are some glitches with Firefox 3.0.7 while using KernelEx 4.0 rc1 on Windows 98 SE

It looks like it messed up fading effect that gecko uses, but i'm not an expert and a picture is worth a thousand words:

This is how it looks like (with KernelEx 4.0rc1):

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is how it should look like (with KernelEx 3.6a):

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is also a strange problem regarding fonts in webpage editboxes, for example google:

Posted Image

I can paste character normally (from notepad for example), and it shows up alright in firefox, but when i try to type it in i get this missing character glyph. I tried to play with character encoding in firefox but to no avail, it only affected static text on page but had no effect on text in editboxes. It seems that only webpage rendering is affected as i can type that same character in firefox address bar and search bar without any problems.

With KernelEx 3.6a it works perfectly (it can be both typed in and pasted in without glitches):

Posted Image

I took that single character as an example but the problem affects all special characters from my locale (latin2)

I would also like to add that Punkbuster (pbsvc.exe) is crashing in both kernelex 3.6a and 4.0rc1 (and probalby in earlier versions too), disabling KernelEx for pbsvc.exe solves the problem.

P.S

Many thanks for keeping kernelex alive and kicking, it's a must-have for any win98 user these days :thumbup

Edited by rustweaver, 19 March 2009 - 02:39 PM.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Have you tried checking in 'Disable KernelEx extentions for this program' in the compatibility tab and seeing if that resolves it?

No, I'm pretty radical when it comes to stuff that negatively impacts software that works fine in regular environment. Will try next version when it comes out, if there's any mention of the eMule issue being fixed in the changelog.

thydreamwalker

thydreamwalker

teddybearguru7

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
:thumbup Kex4.0rc1= Great........RUNDLL32.EXE......a little fast and shaky? :hello:
thydreamwalker

PeterBluewin

PeterBluewin
  • 8 posts
Realy nice job! Congratulations for Xeno85 and Tihiy. The software works greate. Ooo 3.0.1 and other software is now useable under W98. I miss a little documentation for the "Core.INI". For some situations I think is better to diable or Uninstall KernelEx. Also I miss a simple Uninstall-Function. To help to complete the list of usable programs I list my configuration as follow:

My configuration:
OS System Windows 98 Second Edition
MS Kernel Version 4.10.2222.2225
KernelEx-Version 4.0.1.0

Installed Programs:
7-Zip File Manager 4.64.0.0
Adobe Reader 6.0.4.2005072500 (6.0.2.126)
Adobe Flashplayer 11
Gimp Graphics 2.2.17
GTK+ (Gimp Environment) 2.6.10
Open Office 3.0.1
Sun JAVA Runtime Environment 6.0.70.6
PDFCreator 0.9.7
MS Windows Installer 2.0.2600.2
MS Media Player 9.0.0.2980

The VLC Media Player 0.9.8a (Open Source Media Player: http://www.videolan.org) dosn't work. Actual a dont know, its a problem of Videolan or a problem of KernelEX.

aqcww

aqcww

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Xeno85

...be carefull,xeno86
Posted Image

Laaca

Laaca
  • 5 posts
Works great for me!
Thanks for it. I was able to succesfuly run Google earth with it. (It didn't work for me with previous versions of KernelEx)

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts
KernelEx v4.0 RC 2 released !

Now working on Windows 98/Me:

* The Chronicles of Riddick EFBB Demo
* QEmu 0.9

Fixed regressions:

* fixed Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 not working with RC 1
* .Net framework was broken in RC 1 now should work correctly
* input issue in Firefox 3 affecting special characters
* eMule couldn't complete downloads in RC 1, now fixed
* transparency issue in Firefox 3
* incompatibility with Norton Utilities

Detailed Changelog:

- fixed uxtheme version check
- added compilation instructions
- fixed msimg32.AlphaBlend bug incorrectly calculating transparency
- added kernel32.GetVersionW to default configuration
- added advapi32.OpenSCManager stubs
- implemented kernel32.GetConsoleWindow
- modified CreateFile, ReadFile and WriteFile so that they now accept overlapped flag
- fixed non-working MoveFileWithProgressA
- fix: DirectX setup has disabled extensions
- added psapi.EmptyWorkingSet stub
- change: KernelEx will first load any other MPRServices before initializing
- added workaround for situation where some kernel driver hijacked system functions
- added missing disable resource check fix
- removed GetMessageW from kexbasen (already in kexbases)
- fixed issue where installer wouldn't complete on fresh system
- fixed BSOD or crashes on shutdown on certain configurations by preventing early unload
- fixed compatibility sheet not working properly for shortcuts
- implemented kernel32.IsProcessorFeaturePresent
- fix: check if last element in merge list does repeat
- fixed compilation issue with PSDK 2003
- fixed Core not displaying error messages correctly

Edited by Xeno86, 21 March 2009 - 02:17 PM.

KernelEx: home board download

herbalist

herbalist

paranoid independent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
At the moment I decide to try 4.0RC1, RC2 is released. :rolleyes:
I have good and bad news. All of the 3.x versions conflicted with SSM free, which prevented me from seriously considering using Kernel EX. I'm happy to report that so far, 4.0RC1 and SSM free are getting along. I have a lot more testing to do but so far it's very encouraging.

Now for the bad news. I uninstalled RC1, rebooted, then installed RC2. After what appeared to be a normal install, the system rebooted, during which I got the following error message:

MPREXE caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNELEX.DLL at 016f:bfa07b7f.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=016f EIP=bfa07b7f EFLGS=00010246
EBX=81791cf0 SS=0177 ESP=0072fb80 EBP=0072fb94
ECX=00000000 DS=0177 ESI=bfa00000 FS=1cef
EDX=00000000 ES=0177 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
66 8b 48 10 8b 55 f8 8b 04 8a 83 c0 2a 89 45 ec
Stack dump:
0072fb88 817931a6 00000000 81799e64 828dc10c 0072fbac bfa0cfd0 bfa00000 00000001 00000000 00000000 0072fbc4 bfa07859 bfa00000 00000001 00000000

I've switched back to RC1 so I can check further into how well KernelEX and SSM are going to work together.
Rick

herbalist

herbalist

paranoid independent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
Forgot to mention that Kernel EX was installed on lite98SE with IE removed.

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Now for the bad news. I uninstalled RC1, rebooted, then installed RC2. After what appeared to be a normal install, the system rebooted, during which I got the following error message:
[...]
I've switched back to RC1 so I can check further into how well KernelEX and SSM are going to work together.
Rick

Thanks for the report.
Problem should be solved now.
Please re-download.

herbalist

herbalist

paranoid independent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
That fixed it. Thanks for the quick response.

RodgerOver

RodgerOver

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
Hi Xeno,
Thank you ! Had the same mssage than Herbalist. MPREXE.EXE error and same Rgeisters.
Redownloaded and ... works fine now !
GREAT
Rodger

EvanD

EvanD

KISS Advocate

• 32 posts
With 98SE and Kernelex 4.0 RC 2, I can install Flash 10.0.22 but Firefox 3.0.7 crashes every time. (Seamonkey 1.1.15 complains about Flash 10 when it starts but after I close the dialog, Seamonkey works and Flash 10 works.) Reinstalling Flash 9.0 r159 eliminates all of these problems. Flash 10 use to work for me with Kernelex 0.3.5 but it hasn't worked since 0.3.6. Any suggestions?

Edited by EvanD, 21 March 2009 - 03:14 PM.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
• Debug setupkex project still cannot find prinf:
d:\free\kernelex\common\pemanip.cpp(360) : error C2065: 'printf' : undeclared identifier
• Debug kexbasen project misses a link to symbols found in shell32.lib (but default libs are ignored):
Linking...
   Creating library Debug/kexbasen.lib and object Debug/kexbasen.exp
SHGetFolderLocation.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _ILGetNext@4
SHGetFolderLocation.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SHAlloc@4
SHGetFolderLocation.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SHFree@4
SHGetFolderLocation.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _ILCombine@8
SHGetFolderLocation.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _SHILCreateFromPathA@12
../../bin/Debug/kexbasen.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 5 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.
• Debug kexbases misses an import in a library that is not on my system:
Linking...
   Creating library Debug/kexbases.lib and object Debug/kexbases.exp
_shell32_stubs.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CommonUnimpStub@0
_kernel32_stubs.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CommonUnimpStub@0
_user32_stubs.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CommonUnimpStub@0
_gdi32_stubs.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CommonUnimpStub@0
_advapi32_stubs.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CommonUnimpStub@0
../../bin/Debug/kexbases.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

I'll install the release build and test for a few days, see how it goes. Thanks for the eMule fix, I hope it works.

!!! This board messes with the code boxes, adding email tags to anything that contains the @ symbol. :(

Edited by Drugwash, 21 March 2009 - 07:24 PM.

Chozo4

Chozo4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Installed fine, everything seems alright and the changes stated (firefox, etc) are fine. However, Trillian Astra is broken again whereas paths are incorrectly registered, calls user profiles in its' own folder (should be %windir%/application data/trillian), sounds no longer work, and crash logs are no longer saveable (broken path).

I greatly appreciate the effort you have put forth into this Xeno. Both you and Tihiy are doing a wonderful job for this community with KernelEx amongst others. :)

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Realy nice job! Congratulations for Xeno86 and Tihiy. The software works greate. Ooo 3.0.1 and other software is now useable under W98. I miss a little documentation for the "Core.INI". For some situations I think is better to diable or Uninstall KernelEx. Also I miss a simple Uninstall-Function. [...]
The VLC Media Player 0.9.8a (Open Source Media Player: http://www.videolan.org) dosn't work. Actual a dont know, its a problem of Videolan or a problem of KernelEX.

The only setting tweakable by user is through compatibility tab. Core.ini is not meant to be edited by end users.
You can disable KernelEx selectively through compatibility tab, which you can find in properties for .exe or shortcut to .exe file.
Posted Image
Uninstall isn't simple?! Is it a joke? :wacko:
In case you couldn't find it... it is "hidden" in "Add/Remove Programs" under Control Panel. It is standard uninstall procedure for all Windows programs.
You can simply check if Videolan not working is KernelEx problem or not by putting a tick at "Disable KernelEx extensions for this program" under compatibility tab.

With 98SE and Kernelex 4.0 RC 2, I can install Flash 10.0.22 but Firefox 3.0.7 crashes every time. (Seamonkey 1.1.15 complains about Flash 10 when it starts but after I close the dialog, Seamonkey works and Flash 10 works.) Reinstalling Flash 9.0 r159 eliminates all of these problems. Flash 10 use to work for me with Kernelex 0.3.5 but it hasn't worked since 0.3.6. Any suggestions?

:huh:
It must be something wrong with your configuration, because I use Firefox 3.0.7 with Flash 10 everyday and it works for everybody else.
My suggestion is to do clear install of Firefox 3 and creating a new profile.

• Debug setupkex project still cannot find prinf:
d:\free\kernelex\common\pemanip.cpp(360) : error C2065: 'printf' : undeclared identifier
• Debug kexbasen project misses a link to symbols found in shell32.lib (but default libs are ignored):
[...]
• Debug kexbases misses an import in a library that is not on my system:
[...]

I've fixed printf issue for debug setup project. However all other errors are caused by your own modifications to the project files.

PeterBluewin

PeterBluewin
  • 8 posts
Hi Xeno86,
thanks for your quick responce. Sorry, I finde the Uninstall in the Control Panel. My mistake. :whistle:
Thanks alot for the other tip e.g."compatibility mode". Now it works fine. :thumbup

I think a list of usable programms under W98 and KernelEX is present in the Form "Last version of Software for Windows 98SE". :blink: This list can be a starting point for some expansion for next versions or new programs that works with KernelEX.

Question: Tihiy has developed the "Revolutions Pack". This pack dosn't work with KernelEX. Is it possible that this two software packs can work together?

Jussi from Finland

Jussi from Finland
  • 1 posts
Is it possible that the internet explorer 7 to work with Windows 98 SE? Or is it technically impossible? :rolleyes:
Good job and very useful project. :thumbup

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
I have opened a separate thread where apps running thanks to KernelEx can be listed :

http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=131395

Maybe you want to put a link to it in the first post of this thread xeno.
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

triger49

triger49

• PipPip
  • 143 posts
Just thought I would drop by and say thanks.....Kernelex4 rc2 fixed several things and did not break anything....as a matter of fact, my machine is more stable than before ... :thumbup

Jake

Ps: now if I could just stop flash from hosing things...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN