Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1557 replies to this topic

tomw

tomw

ignoramus emeritus

• 22 posts
  • Joined 07-March 07
simco51:
A little further down in the list of posts is this:

http://www.msfn.org/...ility-database/

The kernelex app compatability database ... listing programs known to fail and known to work. Likely not all of either category.

hasta la bye bye
tom
PUFFT on a 7094

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08

If not ANY program, what kind of XP programs KernelEx is supposed to run in Win98SE?

You will have to check by yourself ;) , or to read completely this thread, and the KernelEx App Compatibility Database .

In that sense, why would Universal Extractor need to support Win98, when the whole point of using KernelEx is to run programs that don't support Win98 on their own?

The non-compatibility of an application with Windows 9x can come from several points:(FWIW)
- support of unicode
- API not present in native Win 9x
- for Universal Extractor, it seems that it is checking for the OS before running and 'will not even execute' if it find Windows 9x. So, it could be that it is looking for a certain key in registry for instance, like the 'User Agent' string used for the browsers. Maybe with some tests, it could possible to go through this limitation by tweaking those key(s).

Does KernelEx automatically support any running program, unless disabled in Compatibility Tab? If yes, what OS compatibility mode it supports by default, if no mode is selected by user?

FWIW, you are not supposed to set the compatibility tab with every program you want to run under KernelEx.
No setting is the widest compatibility.
Only a few programs need to be mistaken. The tooltip of this tab says that it 'changes OS identification & emulates OS behavior'.

Read in this thread, page 5 post #93 from M()zart.

HTH :)
Charles.

RodgerOver

RodgerOver

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 14-December 07
[/quote]
Don't forget to let us know if you still have problems.

-Xeno86
[/quote]

Hi Xeno,

I effectively had beta 1 installed. Must have mixed up the two versions ... really stupid !
Sorry for that !

Roger

Edited by RodgerOver, 17 March 2010 - 03:07 PM.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

Foxit Reader 3.2.0.0303 released and works with KernelEx 4.5 beta 2.

I get still the Error in GDI.EXE even in this Version during scrolling in large documents (Toolbar disabled or enabled). OS WinME / KEX 4.5 beta2 / RP9.1

joseth

joseth
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
hello, now that we are beset with windows 7 as the 7th wonder of the world, one of the 7 most important things in our lives, we have no hint of surprise of brilliant minds like yours that before anybody realized that Windows 98 is democracy of the people, and wanted to why it is so important to the powers of this world, keep still alive, sorry for my bad English. Greetings and thanks

kdsg

kdsg

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 28-November 07
safari not working

portable programs created with VMware ThinApp not work

dirtyoldm

dirtyoldm
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 14-January 08
Your work is much appreciated.

However, we have a problem in 98SE installing 4.5 Beta 2, downloaded from SourceForge 3/22/10.

Uninstalled 4.0 RC2, told it delete settings, made sure its Registry key and \Windows\Kernelex were gone.
Rebooted.

The 4.5b2 Installer gave an Illegal Operation box, and "returned: -1".
It erased the extracted setup file and added nothing to the Registry.
We can't find anything about returned codes - can someone help ?

Our 98SE is much hacked, but the old v4.0 Final2 re-installed OK.

geoc

geoc

new

• 25 posts
  • Joined 05-March 07
I have same symptom.
The last DR.Watson :Attached File  WATSON.txt   77.88KB   14 downloads
Thank You !

dirtyoldm

dirtyoldm
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 14-January 08
See #556 below

--------------------------------------------------------
Also on the subject of the font problem in Seamonkey 2.0 menus:
Changing the font for everything in Properties\Appearance works if you use "Times New Roman (Western)".
It's ugly.
But we found no way to change the system font to micross.ttf from XP.
The font installed, but refused to 'take' in Properties\Appearance.

Edited by dirtyoldm, 29 March 2010 - 10:56 PM.

joseth

joseth
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
They asked for 036 or superior version kernel, do not quite understand the question because kernelex is now version 4.5 beta2, any ideas?

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08

The font installed, but refused to 'take' in Properties\Appearance.

Have you tried rebooting after installing the font?

dirtyoldm

dirtyoldm
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 14-January 08
M()zart:
Tried it again (new day, new boot) - micross.ttf (Microsoft Sans Serif) disappears from the Properties dropdowns when you go back to them again.
Yet it DOES take effect, the menus are now micross.ttf.
Sadly the menus still have black rectangles at the end of many items.

Edited by dirtyoldm, 29 March 2010 - 10:57 PM.

joseth

joseth
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
n Latin America and Spain seems not to have anyone who understands the project win9x even German who translated into Spanish, so tonion my brother and I would like to know how to contact the project raulcomodoro Lupos, greetings

dirtyoldm

dirtyoldm
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 14-January 08
Well, my failure of v4.5 b2 to install is fixed.
I had deleted \Windows\KernelEx with the files from 4.0RC2, where it keeps KERNEL32.BAK.
Replaced \Windows\System\KERNEL32.DLL with the stock version and now it installs just fine.

OK, I am an id***... [it won't let me call myself an i d i o t! How kind.] but found nothing saying NOT to do that!
There's only a slight hint that you can install the new ver over the old one without uninstalling first.

I don't know if the patched bytes are in the same locations for every version.
Perhaps the installer can simply omit the check for a stock KERNEL32.DLL.
Or each version could recognize a previously patched KERNEL32.DLL and restore any bytes NOT to be patched.
That would also save 400K+ of disk space.

Edited by dirtyoldm, 29 March 2010 - 10:59 PM.

luluthefirst

luluthefirst

Junior

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 09-December 08
I have a question...
How do you implement functions in Kernel32.dll or others DLL?

Please help I really need to know how to do this :(

rilef

rilef

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
I recently installed three outstanding and free Windows XP applications on my Windows 98SE computers:

1. Prism 1.0b3 (standalone version). Prism opens web pages, from the start menu, desktop, or Quick Launch taskbar, as separate Windows' applications. Prism shares a version of the Gecko engine used by Firefox and uses Firefox plugins and addons, such as Adblock Plus.

2. AIMP 2.51.330. AIMP is a top-rated audio media player, uses Bass codecs, has an attractive and user-friendly interface, and many features.

3. RadioSure 2.1.950. RadioSure is an internet radio player and recorder, using the same Bass codecs used by AIMP. RadioSure has a searchable list of over 14,000 radio station URL's to choose from, or add your own.

All three programs required Kernelex to install and run. Additionally, Prism required the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable to be installed (downloaded from http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php). AIMP required GDIPlus.dll (also available from mdgx). RadioSure was installed last, and did not require any additional dll's.

Prism 1.0b3 (standalone version) can be downloaded from http://prism.mozillalabs.com. AIMP 2.51.330 is a prior version of AIMP (AIMP 2.6x does not work in 98SE). Prior versions of AIMP can be downloaded from Filehippo.com or Brothersoft.com. RadioSure 2.1.950 is a development version of RadioSure (RadioSure 2.0.886 and prior do not work in 98SE). Download RadioSure 2.1.950 portable edition from the author's website RadioSure.com.

Prism does not come with an installer, and thus, should be installed and uninstalled manually, like a portable application. Once run, Prism will set up its application and configuration files in the Windows\Application Data\Prism folder, the Windows\Application Data\Webapps folder, and the Windows\Local Settings\Prism folder. Prism searches your computer for any Firefox plugins. Missing plugins also can be added by creating a "plugins" folder in the folder where prism.exe is located. Adblock Plus and other addon's can be installed using Prism's addon window (which is similar to Firefox's addon window). But, first download the addon's zip file from the author's website Unzip this zip file to find the addon's installation or xpi file. And, to access your Prism application's addon window, needed for installation, be sure to check the box "Show status messages and progress", in Prism, when first setting up your URL or webpage as a Prism web application.

The AIMP 2.51.330 setup program will install "Additional Utilities", including Audio Converter and Recorder programs, if the appropriate boxes are checked during installation. These additional utility programs will work, but performance is very poor (i.e. impracticably slow). Thus, I recommend that only the additional utility "Media Library" be installed. Also, select "Custom version" and "Single User Mode" during installation. After installation, before running AIMP for the first time, check "Select specific compatibility mode" and select XP in the Kernelex compatibility tab. Reboot. Then, start AIMP. Click on the "Main menu" button in the upper left corner of the AIMP window, select plugins, then uncheck "Load all found plugins". Close the plugins window to return to the main menu. Select options. For "Player" options, make sure that "Switch to state that player had before closing" is not selected (i.e. that either the "Start Playing" or the "Do Nothing" radio buttons are selected instead). Close the options window. Then exit AIMP.
Open again the Kernelex compatibility tab, under the AIMP program or shortcut properties, and uncheck "Select specific compatibility mode". AIMP is now installed.

AIMP's "Record Radio" feature is very resource intensive, and thus may cause older computers, with slower processors and/or limited memory, to become unstable, freeze or crash. Thus, such users should consider using RadioSure, instead of AIMP, for all their internet radio recording. Also, AIMP's radio recording may be slightly improved by replacing AIMP's lame.exe encoder with version 3.98.2 ("for older versions of Windows" from rarewares.org); by replacing AIMP's flac.exe encoder with version 1.1.3 ( from http://sourceforge.n...cts/flac/files/); by limiting encoding to flac at "Fast Compression" mode; and by limiting encoding to MP3 at lower bit rates- say from CBR32 to CBR96, depending on available computer resources. I also checked the "Select specific compatibility mode" boxes for all AIMP encoders, and selected Windows 95 compatibility for all. Another alternative is to set AIMP's radio recording to "WAVE" file output (the default). Then convert these wave files, offline, to other audio formats using "Multi Frontend" or other audio conversion program.

To install RadioSure, unzip RadioSure 2.1.950 portable edition to a folder of your choice. Create Start Menu, Desktop, and/or Quick Start Menu shortcuts. Right click the RadioSure program or shortcut, select "Properties", then check "Select specific compatibility mode" and select XP in the Kernelex compatibility tab. Then start the RadioSure program. You should note that RadioSure starts normally, but something is wrong with the program's display. This problem is easily fixed by minor modification of two RadioSure skin files, "skin.rsn" and "skin2.rsn". These files are located in the "Standard.rsn" folder in the RadioSure "Skins" folder. Exit the RadioSure program by right-clicking towards the top of the RadioSure window and selecting "Exit" from the popup menu. Then make a backup copy of the Standard.rsn folder. To modify the skin.rsn and skin2.rsn files, first open the skin.rsn file in Notepad or other text editor (I use Notepad++ version 5.0.3). Search the text file for the word "Spectrum". Within the two instances of the word Spectrum, find the text "<visible>1</visible" (i.e. visible=true). Change this text to "<visible>0</visible" (i.e. visible=false). Save the modified file. Repeat this process for the skin2.rsn file. Then restart RadioSure. You should note that the program's display window has been fixed by your modifications. Note also, that some RadioSure dropdown menus do not work in Windows 98SE (for bitrate selection in recording options, as a workaround, use your arrow keys to scroll through the bitrate options. Or press the "a" key to select the "auto" bitrate option, the "3" key to select the "32" bitrate option, the "1" key to select the "128" bitrate option, etc). Note also, some radio stations listed by RadioSure cannot be played in 98SE or can be played in 98SE only with Windows Media Player.

caymanfleck

caymanfleck
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
This may be a little off topic...but would something like Kernelex be possible for XP? From what I understand this works by patching system files, which I don't believe is possible on XP due to signing. I'm curious because KernelEx's being able to run Firefox 3 and Flash 10 essentially brings some new life to old computers running 9X. It seems like this situation will also occur when XP program support ends (especially FF and Flash). I think there will still be a decent number of older systems on XP. Think Kernelex or an equivalent for XP is possible?

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,927 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Sure. Not KernelEx but something like it. BTW, there already is something like it for Win 2k... its called KDW. Look in the NT/2k/2k3 forum for more info.

caymanfleck

caymanfleck
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Sure. Not KernelEx but something like it. BTW, there already is something like it for Win 2k... its called KDW. Look in the NT/2k/2k3 forum for more info.

Wow, I didn't notice that project before...I'll have to try it out. I guess more things like this will come up as more programs drop XP support (especially browsers, etc.) Seems like if it can be done for 9X it shouldn't be too difficult to do it for XP.

luluthefirst

luluthefirst

Junior

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 09-December 08
Could you add theses API in somes DLL:

---KERNEL32.DLL---
GetComputerNameExW

---NTDLL.DLL---
RtlAdjustPrivilege
RtlLengthSecurityDescriptor

---ADVAPI32.DLL---
SystemFunction040

Im just trying to run winlogon.exe on Win9x to see what happen.

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08
At last I could get to my Win98 PC and perform testing. Somehow neither issue was reproduced. KernelEx was successfully uninstalled and no problem with shortcuts happened. After installing KernelEx again I have successfully rebooted several times and everything was OK. I could not shutdown correctly again however, but I have tried just once. May be the previous errors occurred because I uninstalled KernelEx after the first boot after its installation? However I can test it only in a few weeks again.

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 07-December 06
Installed Java 6.0 Update 20 without problem.
Because avast 4.8 home conflicts with the installer, I disabled avast by tweaking Msconfig.exe before installation.

Then I closed jusched.exe by deleting "SunJavaUpdateSched" in
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\".

I also installed Foxit Reader 3.2.1.0401.

Edited by halohalo, 16 April 2010 - 03:48 PM.

RodgerOver

RodgerOver

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 14-December 07

Installed Java 6.0 Update 20 without problem.
I also installed Foxit Reader 3.2.1.0401.

Hallo Halo,
you don't seem to be impressed by halos !
Very Good !
But what is the advantage of Foxit Reader 3.2.1.0401 over Foxit Reader 2.2 ?
???
Roger

RodgerOver

RodgerOver

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 14-December 07
Sorry I sent the same message twice
Roger

Edited by RodgerOver, 16 April 2010 - 02:06 PM.

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 07-December 06

But what is the advantage of Foxit Reader 3.2.1.0401 over Foxit Reader 2.2 ?
???
Roger

I also keep 2.2 and 2.3, so I can replace 3.2.1 with old version if it is not stable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users