Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1551 replies to this topic

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
Ok, I have now installed KernelEx 4.5.2 beta 2.

Do I need to make anything else XP2 compatible? I have already made Firefox 2.0.0.20 XP2 compatible to enable me to install the latest Firefox version which I now have which is 3.6.4.

I have also noticed however if I am about to save something in a window, if I right click any folders in the window everything closes down, any reason for this?
Windows 98 S.E - Opera 12.02 - Firefox 3.6.28 - Kernel-Ex 4.5.2 - Internet Explorer 6

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

pichorra

pichorra

Junior

• Pip
  • 55 posts
i'm with a problem installing KernelEX 4.5 ß2, it needs Microsoft Layer for Unicode, i have downloaded it from another computer, and then, unziped to temp folder, then, started installation of kernelex. it does not find the Microsoft Layer for Unicode. The computer does not have a internet connection for downloaded it.

OS: MS-DOS 7.10 with Windows 98SE PT-BR + All Updates (installed from a CD) + Somes unnoficial updates + IE6 + WMP9.

lightning slinger

lightning slinger

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

i'm with a problem installing KernelEX 4.5 ß2, it needs Microsoft Layer for Unicode, i have downloaded it from another computer, and then, unziped to temp folder, then, started installation of kernelex. it does not find the Microsoft Layer for Unicode. The computer does not have a internet connection for downloaded it.

OS: MS-DOS 7.10 with Windows 98SE PT-BR + All Updates (installed from a CD) + Somes unnoficial updates + IE6 + WMP9.

Download unicows.exe and transfer that and run it on the PC and that will place unicows.dll into the C:\Windows\System folder or transfer the unzipped unicows.dll into that folder directly.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

FF 3.6.4 does not work properly and it is a bad news. That's due to Google Chrome code used for OOPP and related features.
Good news: at current stage (3.6.4 / 3.7a6) it still can be worked around. The fix should be included into new KernelEx version.
Meanwhile, you can downgrade to FF 3.5.

There is no ETA for new KernelEx version yet.

Edited by Tihiy, 26 June 2010 - 06:44 AM.

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

any scoop as to what is coming in the new version?

Xeno86's roadmap is upward, at end of post #600.

Yes, it would be great if we can use last versions of VLC in KernelEx next release. :rolleyes:

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
Thanks, I had been reading that. Latest Flash will run which is cool and it would be cool if the latest Java plugin could run as well.

Btw, the problem I mentioned with the encode pointer and decode pointer stuf in the gstreamer files in Opera has been fixed by Opera themselves, I guess because HTML5 Audio/Video wasn't working on Win 2k which they still support.

fortcollins

fortcollins

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts

I installed 4.5 beta 2.

I installed VLC player 1.1.0, with compatibility mode to XP SP2. The install seemed to work.

However, when I try to execute the program, nothing happens.

System: Win 98 SE SP 2.0

Hi fortcollins,

VLC 1.0.5 & 1.1.0 are NOT working. :no:

Last version I am using with KernelEx is 1.0.3

I tried VLC 1.0.3.

I got mp3 and mp4 audios to work, but so for I haven't got a single video to play. I have tried extensions .wmv, .ra, .rm., .mp4, .avi, .mov, .flv..

I get a variety of errors. Usually I get a page fault in oleaut32.dll, followed by R 6016 not enough space for thread data, followed by a page fault in kern32.dll.

A few times I the faults went into a loop and I had to ipl my system with the reset button.

I didn't find anything with these errors in the VideoLAN forum.

I tested on a machine with no internet connection. I just tried playing local files.

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

I tried VLC 1.0.3 ... I get a variety of errors.

Do you have KernelEx installed?
You need also MS Layer for Unicode 1.1.3790.0 (= unicows.dll) to be in %WINDIR%\SYSTEM (or at least in VLC folder).

If not, I think the last version to run in plain vanilla Win98 was 0.8.6i.

Edited by CharlesF, 04 July 2010 - 10:04 AM.

fortcollins

fortcollins

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts

I tried VLC 1.0.3 ... I get a variety of errors.

Do you have KernelEx installed?
You need also MS Layer for Unicode 1.1.3790.0 (= unicows.dll) to be in %WINDIR%\SYSTEM (or at least in VLC folder).

Yes, I have KernelEx 4.5 beta 2.

Yes, I have unicode.dll 1.1.3790.0.

My oleaut32.dll is 2.40.4522. Multiple versions of this dll are floating around. I found several in instsallation CD ROMs I had on my hard drive. I think I got mine from mdgx at

http://www.msfn.org/...les-t98653.html

I tried changing my oleaut32.dll and got a symptom change. I replaced my 2.40.4522 oldaut32.dll with a much old version, 2.20.4118. Instead of getting a page fault in oleaut32.dll, I got a page fault in kernel32, followed by the R6016 not enough space for thread data, followed by a second page fault in kernel32.

I also verified that audio files continued to work with the earlier .dll file.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
I think you need Oleaut.dll 2.40.4520.0, which is the one I have on my system and  I think is the one MDGx distributes, higher versions breaking things if I am not mistaken and 2.20 series are likely to be way too old.

VLC 1.1 seems to run fine under that setup  here besides the known problem it doesn't display texts in option dialogs, etc. I have only tested very briefly though,  just to see if I could play one of those webm video file and that was OK. 

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

My oleaut32.dll is 2.40.4522. Multiple versions of this dll are floating around. I found several in instsallation CD ROMs I had on my hard drive.

My version is 2.40.4520,
but I can't tell if it's coming from it

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

My version is 2.40.4520,
but I can't tell if it's coming from it

My version is 2.40.4518.

Besides, I also tried 2.40.4532 from Windows 2000. If I disable KernelEX, error messages appear when I use WMP9, IE6 and explorer.exe.

fortcollins

fortcollins

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
For unrelated reasons, I restored my Win 98 SE system from an image backup.

I downgraded my oleaut32.dll to 2.4o.4520 from

http://www.mdgx.com/add and http://www.mdgx.com/files/OLEUP.EXE

That appears to have worked without problem so far.

I reinstalled kernelex

I got a new set of symptoms.

For a couple of tests, vlc simply disappeared. I opened the file, and VLC shut down with no notice of any form.

However, for most of the tests, I got an illegal operation box with a page fault in kernel32.dll. Then when I closed the illegal operation box, I got another illegal operation box with a page fault in kernel32.dll. I was in a loop of illegal operation boxes with a page fault in kernel32.dll that I could not get out of except with the reset button. Ctrl-alt-delete and Start and shut down did not function.

I didn't have time to comprehensively check particular media types and their mode of failure.

It looks like the 2.40.4522 oleaut32.dll was bad. However, the problem remained that I could not get any videos to function, though audio ones did.

I have run into the problem of loops in crash boxes before.

I continue to wonder about the message, "The kexbasen.dll cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem" and what it is saying, see

http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__928966

fortcollins

fortcollins

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts

VLC 1.1 seems to run fine under that setup  here besides the known problem it doesn't display texts in option dialogs, etc.

I installed VLC 1.1.0 to see if my changed oleaut32.dll made any difference with that version. Previously when I tried 1.1.0 it wouldn't start. I saw some disk activity but the window never appeared. See http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__928971

When I tried it this time with the changed oleaut32.dll, I got the same result as I got before. I saw some disk and cpu activity but no program window and no messages.

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

However, for most of the tests, I got an illegal operation box with a page fault in kernel32.dll. Then when I closed the illegal operation box, I got another illegal operation box with a page fault in kernel32.dll. I was in a loop of illegal operation boxes with a page fault in kernel32.dll that I could not get out of except with the reset button. Ctrl-alt-delete and Start and shut down did not function.

I'm using VLC 1.0.3 portable occasionally (for some DVD that is not played with anything else). Sometimes I get an illegal operation box. I just don't close it - I move it beyond the edge of the screen, and VLC plays DVD OK with this box. Going to try VLC 1.1 soon.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
Would installing KernelEx Beta 2 allow users of Windows 98 S.E to install Avast 5? and would Avast 5 function?
Windows 98 S.E - Opera 12.02 - Firefox 3.6.28 - Kernel-Ex 4.5.2 - Internet Explorer 6

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Would installing KernelEx Beta 2 allow users of Windows 98 S.E to install Avast 5? and would Avast 5 function?

Very unlikely as the real time AV scanning engines run at low level in ring0 if I am not mistaken and KernelEX has nothing to do with ring0.

Edited by loblo, 06 July 2010 - 07:42 AM.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
Just released, Firefox 4 Beta 1 could work with KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2 or we should wait for newer version of it?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Donator

Firefox 4 Beta 1

It won't work properly (as well as FF3.6.4) until next kex version. Code to support it was already commited into svn.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
Java 6 update 21 doesn't work with Firefox 3.5.10 (Java next generation plug-in is disabled, KernelEx 4.5 beta 2).
Previous version of it (update 20) work normally.

Edited by rainyd, 08 July 2010 - 01:36 PM.

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
Found bug in KernelEx 4.5 b2 - it does not set compatibility for the exe file if the filename or path contains russian characters. I have russian Win98.

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
At last it seems that my problem with shutdown with USB flash drive plugged in and KernelEx installed is fixed after I applied FIX WIN98 SE USB + SHUTDOWN ERRORS instruction, step 2. If there are anybody with the same problem, you may try it as well.

JoelC

JoelC
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I'm running Win98SE.

For the first time today, I have downloaded and installed KernelEX 4.5 Beta 2

I have successfully installed FireFox 3.6.8, and it is working great so far. I have installed some add-ons, imported the bookmarks from my Win XP machine, downloaded some files, etc.

I am a registered owner of 4NT8, from JPSoftware. A trial version is available for download from JPSoft. This program requires W2K/WinXP, and will not work on plain Win98SE.

I have ran the install, but a dialog appears saying that 4NT cannot be installed on Windows 9x/ME.

I right-clicked on the 4nt802.exe installer, and selected Windows 2000 SP4 to use for compatibility mode.

NOTE 1: I ran the install, but a dialog appears saying "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installed is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

So, I ran 4nt802.exe /extract to get the individual files. This gave me 4nt.ini, 4nt.msi, disk1.cab

I ran 4nt.msi, but a dialog appears saying that 4NT can not be installed on Windows 9x/ME. There is no compatibility tab for the 4nt.msi file.

I ran xp.reg, and tried running 4nt802.exe again. See NOTE 1: for results. I then ran unxp.reg

I also tried XP compatibility mode. Same results.

My other programs, primarily Microsoft Visual Studio 5, all seem to be working fine with KernelEX 4.5 Beta 2. It is great to have FireFox running on Win98SE.

I would like to run 4NT8 on Win98SE, if possible.

As I said, I just discovered KernelEX 4.5 Beta 2, and have been reading this forum, and have reviewed the apps that run thanks to KernelEX. Glad to see that I am not the only one still using Win98SE.

Thanks from Joe

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum!
:hello:
So far you've done everything that I would have done to try and get a supposedly non-compatible program working on an operating system it wasn't designed for.
What you should try next is to modify the msi file that you extracted so that it doesn't expect at least Windows 2000/XP.
What you need is a utility called Orca. It can be downloaded here.

Make a backup copy of the msi file so you've still got an un-modified copy to return to if things go wrong!
If you open the msi file using Orca, you will see on the left an entry called "launchcondition".
If you open it you'll see on the right what OS versions the installer expects.

Probably the quickest fix is to highlight all the relevant rows, and select "cut row" from the edit menu.
Then save the file, and try running it again.

This is by no means guaranteed to work of course.
The installer may need version 3 of the installer system, which isn't available for Windows 98.
Even if it doesn't, it may still not work due to other dependencies that just aren't there, even with KernelEx.

At least you've done everything you can though.
Good luck!
:)

Edited by Dave-H, 26 July 2010 - 05:19 AM.

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

JoelC

JoelC
  • 3 posts

What you need is a utility called Orca. It can be downloaded here.

Hi,
I downloaded orca.msi, and when I launched it, the dialog "Orca does not support this version of Windows" was displayed.

So, I installed orca.msi on an XP system, used it to modify 4nt.msi as you suggested, copied 4nt.msi to my Win98SE system, launched 4nt.msi, and the installation was successful. Thankyou.

Now, let's try and launch the program.

I launched 4NT 8.02, but upon launch, it displayed a dialog saying "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". From the buttons "Close" "Debug" "Details" I selected Close to dismiss the dialog.

Next, on the 4nt.exe program, I right-clicked, and tried compatibility modes of Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4.

Same results.

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN