Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1557 replies to this topic

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08

Hey guys,I DID complain that my Simplified Chinese IME on my USA Windows 98SE machine was not working properly (Some dialogs do not appear, only the "click" error sound is heard from the PC speaker).

I found that by disabling KernelEX extensions for firefox.exe, I solved my problem. I use the last version of Firefox (2.0.20 I believe, but I know that it's the last version officially released), but I am not sure what is it's actual version number as I did not boot into Windows 98SE.

I'm running into a similar problem with global IME with Firefox 3.6. With KernelEx 4.5, I'm able to test Firefox 3.6 but it will not work when KernelEx is disabled.

Are there anyone able to use global IME with Firefox 3.6?

Firefox 2 does not have any problem with global IME.
OC

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

oerg866

oerg866

• 45 posts
  • Joined 02-June 10
A few compatibility reports

http://kernelex.sour...iki/Starcraft_2
http://kernelex.sour....net/wiki/Steam
http://kernelex.sour.../wiki/Minecraft

More to come soon :)

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08

Are there anyone able to use global IME with Firefox 3.6?

I suspect that Firefox 3.6 does not support the global IME of Win98, which does not fully support Unicode. That's just my opinion only without evidence.
OC

oerg866

oerg866

• 45 posts
  • Joined 02-June 10
Update: Starcraft 2

copying an installed version will not help as it reports a missing PSAPI export.

Posted Image

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Starcraft 2 won't work due to advanced protection system blizzard implemented lately. Same for newer WoW. Also it's likely that Starcraft 2 requires some newer graphical driver features which aren't available in 9x.

siria

siria

• 15 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
Have not the slightest idea why, but those occasionally freezing windows I have too, only the mouse can be moved but absolutely nothing else works, not even the windows buttons. All dead. That's in K-Meleon1.6beta with gecko engine 1.9.1.x, but on my old 98se laptop that could be caused by anything, KEx or browser or gecko engine or way too little RAM with way too many tabs open, or some webpage content, or some setting or messing of mine, in browser or in system, and perhaps it would happen with other programs too if I'd use them more often ;-)
But there's a little workaround, so personally I don't mind anymore, ouff. Simply switching to another window in the task bar immediately breaks the freeze! Just a quick click on another window and right back to the current one, and it's "alive" again :-) Well, not always, but often.

Edited by siria, 13 February 2011 - 01:45 PM.

• 18 posts
  • Joined 23-June 10
works WebMoney Keeper Classic under kernelEx ?

Windashnet

Windashnet

• 44 posts
  • Joined 31-October 10
Hey is there an edited version of this thread or a way to download the whole thing as a single file with out going to each page and downing it and then putting the whole mess togther and then editing it..

I would like to either be able to prune out all the extraneous stuff and just have a list of how to use, what works, what doesn't work but works if you do this, what doesn't work with no idea how to fix it, and what will never work, ..... basicailly a simple users guide.

Windashnet

Windashnet

• 44 posts
  • Joined 31-October 10

Have not the slightest idea why, but those occasionally freezing windows I have too, only the mouse can be moved but absolutely nothing else works, not even the windows buttons. All dead. That's in K-Meleon1.6beta with gecko engine 1.9.1.x, but on my old 98se laptop that could be caused by anything, KEx or browser or gecko engine or way too little RAM with way too many tabs open, or some webpage content, or some setting or messing of mine, in browser or in system, and perhaps it would happen with other programs too if I'd use them more often ;-)
But there's a little workaround, so personally I don't mind anymore, ouff. Simply switching to another window in the task bar immediately breaks the freeze! Just a quick click on another window and right back to the current one, and it's "alive" again :-) Well, not always, but often.

I've seen this problem in windows that doesn't have kernalEX installed, I think it is a base memory problem in windows.

FlippX

FlippX

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 03-August 10
Heyho,
there is this software called "LMMS" ( http://lmms.sourceforge.net/ ).
Someting like an audio-midi-sequencer I guess... Looks nice..
I couldn't try it because of this (roughly translated):
"The file LIBSNDFILE-1.DLL is connected with the missing Export-MSVCRT.DLL:___lc_codepage_func."
I think I never had an error of this kind... what is this "___lc_codepage_func" ?!
Comp.-mode doesn't help. Is there anything that might help?

My system is a win98se(ger) + everything official & unofficial like RP (no theme since themes lead to bugs with recent vlc-player for example), KEX, Autopatcher "dec2008" (seems to work great with the german version anyways..) & much from MDGx's site..

Bye
Flipp

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08

I would like to either be able to prune out all the extraneous stuff and just have a list of how to use, what works, what doesn't work but works if you do this, what doesn't work with no idea how to fix it, and what will never work, ..... basicailly a simple users guide.

That's a good idea.
Could have a place in the Compatibility database of the KernelEx Wiki.

But you should read at least also this other thread: KernelEx App Compatibility Database ;) .

eesseell

eesseell
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 14-November 09
Dear all,

Hello from France. When trying to install java updates 23 or 24, I have an error message "File is missing - GDIplus.dll has not been found" ---Till 22 it was working - I have uninstalled java and went up from 6 update 1 till 6 update 22 again without any trouble. and again same error message with both 23 and 24.

Any clue? I have tried to copy GDIplus.dll in several locations - no way to solve

I run win98SE with KEx 4.5 final - Had the same issue with RC4

Last versions of Flash and FF run perfectly

Thanks

Edited by eesseell, 27 February 2011 - 12:22 PM.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10
Did you copy it into the windows/system directory, that's where it should be.

siria

siria

• 15 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
I remember dimly Adobe introduced with vers.23 some fundamental "new generation" plugins, which are very buggy on some systems... Can't remember details, but it was discussed somehwere here in the forum too... Still that java version contains also some alternative "classic" version of the dll's, which jump in and work fine if that stupid "new gen." plugin is disabled (deleted or whatever)... It's only lacking those "new" features, which were some "fully automatic" stuff that's IMO not really needed anyway...
NG-version is npjp2.dll, the classiv version is C:\Programs\Java\jre6\bin\npoji610.dll

eesseell

eesseell
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 14-November 09

Hello,

Yes but doing that I have an error message : JRE-6U23-WINDOWS-I586 has generated a page failure in the module JRE-6U23-WINDOWS-I586.EXE at 0177:0040e5a6. (message in french, translated) - whjen I go with u22 it works .....

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 07-December 06
NPSWF32.dll from FLASH PLAYER 11.0.0.58d incubator build also works with KernelEx 4.5 Final.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

Hello,

Yes but doing that I have an error message : JRE-6U23-WINDOWS-I586 has generated a page failure in the module JRE-6U23-WINDOWS-I586.EXE at 0177:0040e5a6. (message in french, translated) - whjen I go with u22 it works .....

Some people report the two latest JRE installer to crash, others don't. I am not sure why this is and even for those who don't report crashes the installation is not really too straightforward.

Have a look at this topic in case it may help: http://www.msfn.org/...re-6-on-win-98/

eesseell

eesseell
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 14-November 09

Hello,

Some people report the two latest JRE installer to crash, others don't. I am not sure why this is and even for those who don't report crashes the installation is not really too straightforward.

Have a look at this topic in case it may help: http://www.msfn.org/...re-6-on-win-98/

Dear all.

I faced the same situation as described by loblo in one of his message under the above referenced post "Here it goes like that with KernelEx installed for the latest java runtimes. I run the executable which seems to autoexit without doing anything. In fact it extracts an msi installer + cab file to a subfolder of C:\Windows\Application Data\Sun\Java named as the version to install. Then I run the msi installer from there and it installs normally. Just installed the newly released update 24 today, no problems". I have a crash when trying to install but msi file is here. I have run u23 msi and u24 msi without trouble. ...amazing ...
Thanks for your help

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
Installed Java 6 Update 24 yesterday on XP and Windows 98 (dual boot machine).
No problems with it, but had to directly use the extracted msi installer on Windows 98 as described.
:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Asus AMD Radeon HD5450 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

EvanD

EvanD

KISS Advocate

• 32 posts
  • Joined 17-April 08

Dear all.

I faced the same situation as described by loblo in one of his message under the above referenced post "Here it goes like that with KernelEx installed for the latest java runtimes. I run the executable which seems to autoexit without doing anything. In fact it extracts an msi installer + cab file to a subfolder of C:\Windows\Application Data\Sun\Java named as the version to install. Then I run the msi installer from there and it installs normally. Just installed the newly released update 24 today, no problems". I have a crash when trying to install but msi file is here. I have run u23 msi and u24 msi without trouble. ...amazing ...
Thanks for your help

This advice from WIN98SE also works for u23 and u24.

CyberyogiCoWindler

CyberyogiCoWindler

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined 04-September 10
Explorer crashes by KernelEx?

During Win98SE boot I occasionally get an Explorer crash related to KernelEx. After closing the invalid page fault message, the taskbar restarts and windows works normal.

This is the crash message:
EXPLORER verursachte einen Fehler durch eine ung├╝ltige Seite
in Modul KERNELEX.DLL bei 024f:bfa0392c.
Register:
EAX=81d61254 CS=024f EIP=bfa0392c EFLGS=00010246
EBX=81d2ef24 SS=0257 ESP=00a6f840 EBP=00a6f894
ECX=52505c45 DS=0257 ESI=66801eae FS=40cf
EDX=0000001b ES=0257 EDI=81d910b0 GS=0000
Bytes bei CS:EIP:
8b 49 04 8b 51 34 3b f2 72 09 8b 49 50 03 ca 3b 
Stapelwerte:
81d2ef24 00000000 71000000 bfa07b3e 66801eae bff803ae 81d30020 bff803ae 81d2fe84 00000000 66801f14 bff76da8 71000000 00000000 66801eae 71000000
It may be also related to the SHELL98D bugfix (SHELL32.DLL update), because although SHELL98D has fixed nasty Explorer bugs in Win98SE, it has introduced a nasty new one.

When I drag and drop files between 2 Explorer windows (e.g. for copying saved E-Mail text files to diskette), Explorer often crashes so deep that it can not be restarted anymore. Any attempt of restarting Explorer or even selecting things from the quicklaunch menu pops up the same crash requester and restarts the taskbar. The only way to make Windoze useable again is to shutdown using CTRL-ALT-DEL, because also "shutdown" from quicklaunch only re-triggers the popup.

FineSSE displayed the following register contents:
Unhandled Eception in
Process Id: fffcd92f
Thread Id:   fff0d563

ExceptionCode:   c0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION)
ExceptionAddress: bfb93c65

Registers:
 EAX=002a005c CS=024f EIP=bff99b32 EFLAGS=00000246
 EBX=0059fba0 SS=0257 ESP=0059fb48 EBP=0059fb80
 ECX=ecbd3670 DS=0257        ESI=00000000  FS=357f
 EDX=bffc9490 ES=0257 EDI=e82897e0 GS=0000

Bytes at CS EIP:
  66 8B 39 66  8B 18 D1 EF  D1 EB 66 81  E7 EF 3D 66

Exiting after:
 0 Illegal Instructions
 1 Access Violation
(I had to type this in from a digicam photo since Windows in crashed state refuses to start anything to save it from clipboard to, but only restarts the popup. I hope I made no typos.)

Is this caused by KernelEx or SHELL98D? Can anybody decipher why it happens?

Edited by CyberyogiCoWindler, 08 March 2011 - 12:48 PM.

MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

*============================================================================*
CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=CO=) Windler
(teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!)
!
*=============================ABANDON=THE=BRUTALITY==========================*
{http://weltenschule.de/e_index.html }

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

No problems with it, but had to directly use the extracted msi installer on Windows 98 as described.

Hi, can you help me with installing the latest Java on my Windows 98 machine.
I have KernelEx installed.

Windows 7 starter - Internet Explorer 11 - Google Chrome

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

Why not reading the post just above the one you quote? :w00t:

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07

Why not reading the post just above the one you quote? :w00t:

I did, but when I find the msi installer and I open it I receive a windows message saying " This installation package could not be opened, contact the application vendor to verify this is a valid windows installer package".

Edited by frogman, 08 March 2011 - 03:14 PM.

Windows 7 starter - Internet Explorer 11 - Google Chrome

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 832 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

I did, but when I find the msi installer and I open it I receive a windows message saying " This installation package could not be opened, contact the application vendor to verify this is a valid windows installer package".

What is in the folder with the msi file?
It needs at least a file called Data1.cab to be in the same folder or it won't work.
On my machine there are four other files in the folder, gtapi.dll, lzma.dll, OpenOffice_banner.jpg, and sp1033.MST, but I don't know how necessary they are to the installer.

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Asus AMD Radeon HD5450 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users