Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1557 replies to this topic

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10
Six months ago the hardware requirements for Flash 10.1 were:

Intel® Pentium® II 450MHz, AMD Athlon® 600MHz or faster processor (or equivalent)

http://web.archive.o...yer/systemreqs/

Today the requirements for Flash 10.3 are:

Intel Pentium 4 2.33GHz, Athlon 64 2800+ or faster processor (or equivalent)

http://www.adobe.com...emreqs/#desktop

This most certainly means that a CPU supporting SSE2 instructions is now mandatory for running the latest Flash 10 builds whereas the earliest ones didn't even require CPUs having SSE support, Athlon 600Mhz having only MMX and 3DNow. I think you've got to find the most recent possible Flash 10 compatible with your CPUs on OldApps, FileHippo or any other similar website.

http://www.oldapps.c...lash_player.php
http://www.filehippo...player_firefox/

I might be wrong though but you'd better try that first and then report whether you can run earlier Flash 10 versions or not.

Edited by loblo, 16 June 2011 - 01:50 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
I'm not sure if I got 10.3 installed or 10.2, but I'm using a Tualatin PIII and it only has SSE and so far things run... I recently had update happen this or last week so I think I got 10.3 installed, I got to verify it
EDIT: I got 10.3.181.26 installed, and it works without problems on my Tualatin

Edited by TmEE, 16 June 2011 - 12:49 PM.

Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

diamant

diamant

• 38 posts
  • Joined 27-July 09

I think you've got to find the most recent possible Flash 10 compatible with your CPUs on OldApps, FileHippo or any other similar website.

http://www.oldapps.c...lash_player.php
http://www.filehippo...player_firefox/

I might be wrong though but you'd better try that first and then report whether you can run earlier Flash 10 versions or not.

I have tried different flash 10 versions - all with the same result:
A white area instead of flash box.

I tried even to disable Java to exclude it as reason for the issue.
For results on adobe's test page see the images attached below. Both images show adobe's test site, one with Flash 10 and the other one with Flash 9.
This is all with disabled Java. Flash 9 shows the version Info, Flash 10 does not so.

I dimly remember that I had installed an early Flash 10 version a long time ago, and that it worked at that time (without KernelEx and not stable, but I had a Flash box generally).

Could removed Windows components (with 98Lite) be the reason?
I have e.g. removed Windows' Shockwave Player, MS-XML-Support, msinfo and some other.
Is any of them required for Flash 10?

Attached Files

Edited by diamant, 16 June 2011 - 04:42 PM.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

I have e.g. removed Windows' Shockwave Player, MS-XML-Support, msinfo and some other.

Perhaps but I don't think those you specifically mention should be an issue. Anyway, thanks to TmEE we know that the latest Flash 10 should run on your T-Bred Athlon so it's got to be something else than a CPU issue.

Perhaps you could try to see if the standalone Flash 10.3 projector runs on your system and if it doesn't, inspect it with Dependency Walker, including profiling it, as to perhaps get a clue why it doesn't work.

http://download.macr...layer_10_sa.exe
http://www.dependenc...pends22_x86.zip

You'll find a standalone Flash 9 projector in the archive below should you want to test it with dependency walker as well to see the eventual differences with the Flash 10 one.

http://fpdownload.ma...lus_archive.zip

Not sure all that Flash discussion has anything to do with KernelEx btw, and perhaps it should be moved to the other thread, your call DenCorso.

Edited by loblo, 16 June 2011 - 10:18 PM.

diamant

diamant

• 38 posts
  • Joined 27-July 09

Perhaps but I don't think those you specifically mention should be an issue...

But perhaps other such Windows components, see below...

OK, I can tell news:
The issue seems to be solved! :thumbup
It was definitely not a KernelEx problem. (That means, the discussion can be moved to the other thread.)

The problem was following:
I had removed ICM colour profiles with 98Lite. This included (or more precisely "excluded"...) the file Mscms.dll from the C:\Windows\System directory. File properties of Mscms.dll say "Microsoft Color Matching System DLL". I copied it manually back, and now all Flash 10 versions are able to work (in principle) on both computers, even on the notebook with Intel PIII CPU. :yes:
Heaven only knows why Flash 10 requires this mysterious file Mscms.dll, but Flash 9 does not :blink: .

Maybe oc_dt had the same problem (he described installed, but not working Flash 10).

jumper

jumper

2014 All-American Masters HJ'er

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11

Encouraged by this report about VLC, I downloaded and installed version 1.1.9 and it worked just fine on my P3 machine with KernelEx default mode. So, nothing particular seems to be required, other than having KernelEx 4.5.1 installed.

Then I tried to do the same on my P2 machine (with P3CPU.VXD and FineSSE23.exe installed) but although it installs and initializes its font cache OK, it crashes when trying to display any video (no error message).

Joe.

VLC 1.1.9 has an internal error handler that often quietly terminates the app when an illegal instruction is encountered. It reports the error as "handled" rather than passing it to the system default handler for debugging.

To enable FineSSE to have the first chance to handle the errors, launch VLC by dropping it onto FineSSE.

Or do as I did and modify the VLC desktop shortcut target to be:
"C:\finesse.exe" -v "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"

Answer "No" if asked to send a bug report.

I have KernelEx 4.5.1 installed. VLC 1.1.9 will launch on my VIA C3 but opens off-screen. After moving it back on-screen (every time!), the menus don't open. I'll try VLC 1.1.10 soon.

-jumper
Design feedback requested:
IHAtool - IpHlpApi tester; call various functions and report results
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
ComDlg32 wrapper - ComDlgEx meets IpHlpApi wrapper
--status-> PrintDlgExW working in latest SumatraPDF 8^)
Future projects: ImportPatcher40 - dialog interface; Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,944 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Way to go, jds! :thumbup

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09
I've tested several versions of the PDF Foxit Reader. Latest version 5.0.1.0523 installs without an error (compatible mode WinXP SP2), but doesn't run. I get following error  messages: Error starting program:The Foxit Reader.exe file is linked to missing export secur32.dll:Get User Name ExW. A device attached to the system is not functioning 

Has anyone managed Foxit 5 to work?

Foxit skipped Win2000 support. 

The last but one version 4.3.1.0323 works stable for me. The main issue I have, is that the bookmarks in the navigation panel on the left are not readable. Instead of words I see squares or little boxes. This problem appears since version 3.1.4.1125 (november 2009). It's OK in the version before 3.1.3.1030. Some versions of 3.0 and 3.1 suck a little to much resources so that a crash is possible. 

The last version of 2 (2.3.4015) works stable. It already opens PDF version 1.7. files. 

MySystem: Win ME, KernelEX 4.5.1; RP 9.72

BTW I also added it on the KernelEX Wiki page - (Foxit Reader/Discussion)

Edited by schwups, 01 July 2011 - 05:31 AM.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05

I've tested several versions of the PDF Foxit Reader. Latest version 5.0.1.0523 installs without an error (compatible mode WinXP SP2), but doesn't run. I get following error  messages: Error starting program:The Foxit Reader.exe file is linked to missing export secur32.dll:Get User Name ExW. A device attached to the system is not functioning 

Has anyone managed Foxit 5 to work?

Yes, I have tried Foxit Reader 5.0 but I've got the same message as you.
I'm using also Foxit 4.3.1 (build 323).

Btw, you haven't problem with installation of it?

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09
The installation isn't a problem for me. There are no error messages. 

Foxit 4.3.1: default mode

Foxit 5.0.1: comp mode WinXP

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

The last but one version 4.3.1.0323 works stable for me. The main issue I have, is that the bookmarks in the navigation panel on the left are not readable. Instead of words I see squares or little boxes. This problem appears since version 3.1.4.1125 (november 2009).

Put Foxit in Win2K compatibility mode and you'll have readable bookmarks. ;)

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

The last but one version 4.3.1.0323 works stable for me. The main issue I have, is that the bookmarks in the navigation panel on the left are not readable. Instead of words I see squares or little boxes. This problem appears since version 3.1.4.1125 (november 2009).

Put Foxit in Win2K compatibility mode and you'll have readable bookmarks.   ;)

Thanks - The bookmarks are readable.

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08

BTW, I have no problem to print with with Notepad or metapad, even in Win2k SP4 compatibility.

Firstly, does the 'notepad' compatibility-mode trick show what gets invoked (in 'wintop') when you print?
If so, try targeting that. If nothing is shown, then an alternative tool to 'wintop' may be required.
Since the problem you have is with "print preview", try the 'notepad' compatibility-mode trick using "print preview" (aka. "page setup") instead of "print".

Joe,

nothing appears in WinTop (or in Process Explorer) when I print with Notepad,
either in default compatitibility or in Win2k SP4 compatibility.

The only program that can be displayed is C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE,
which is disabled by default in KernelEx!

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 03-June 08

Joe,

nothing appears in WinTop (or in Process Explorer) when I print with Notepad,
either in default compatitibility or in Win2k SP4 compatibility.

The only program that can be displayed is C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE,
which is disabled by default in KernelEx!

Charles,

I'm not sure why you say only 'spool32.exe' can be displayed. Either it is or it isn't. As to whether this is what gets invoked on printing, that will depend on what printer driver is installed. In my case, 'cpc10q.exe' (Canon PageComposer Queue Manager) seems to be used instead of 'spool32.exe', due to the printer driver I'm using.

In any case, I've checked the "print preview" function and this works for me, regardless of whether or not I've disabled KernelEx compatibility mode for 'cpc10q.exe'. In other words, even when printing via KernelEx-enabled applications was broken, the "print preview" function would have worked (although I hadn't previously tried it, since it would have been pointless).

So my situation was completely opposite to yours. For you, the "print preview" function is broken, yet printing itself works. Is this also the case for non-KernelEx-enabled applications?

Joe.

xrayer

xrayer

RayeR

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 15-May 07
New Mozilla Seamonkey 2.1 starts but freeze when loading a webpage (even on local disk) - kernelex 4.5.1, winxp-sp2 compat.
Older versions up to 2.0.14 works fine for me. Another user reported that ver 2.1beta1 worked for him. I hope that's only small issue that could be fixed.
Win98(SE)CZ unofficial support site.
Running MSDOS 6.22, FreeDOS, Win98SE+KEX-4.5.2+nSP+nUSB, NT4.0-SP6, WinXP-SP3, Debian Linux
Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L, Core 2 Duo E8500@3,6GHz, 4GB DDR2, GF7900GT/256M, SSD Samsung 840 Pro, WD1000FBYX SATA, SB Audigy 2

CyberyogiCoWindler

CyberyogiCoWindler

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined 04-September 10
Bug Report!: KernelEx 4.5.1 *CRASHES* Firefox 3.6.18

I just installed KernelEx-4.5.1 on my Windows 98SE (so late because I already expected something bad). And as soon I attempt now to load the German eBay login page, Firefox 3.6.18 disappears from the screen and a popup requester appears with the message that Firefox has crashed. When I click on the Firefox icon again, it doesn't start anymore but only the same requester pops up again every time (until I reboot Windows). Also WebWasher 3.4 can not be quitted anymore but locks up Windoze, showing a white(empty) log window of FineSSE. I already un- and re-installed KernelEx 4.5.1 (deleted old settings) and tried FineSSE 23 instead of 27a, but nothig helps. Please fix this.

Only re-installing KernelEx-4.5-Final brought my Firefox3 back to life.

- Is anybody already working on Firefox5 compatibility for Win98SE?

(Firefox4 is known to be too slow, but 5 may work well on old hardware since it was optimized also for low power mobile devices.)

MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

*============================================================================*
CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=CO=) Windler
(teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!)
!
*=============================ABANDON=THE=BRUTALITY==========================*
{http://weltenschule.de/e_index.html }

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09
I've tested the PDF-XChange Viewer new version 2.5.197 (08.07.2011) successfully and I added it to KerneEX Wiki. http://kernelex.sour...le_applications

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05

I've tested the PDF-XChange Viewer new version 2.5.197 (08.07.2011) successfully

Yes, I can confirm that too.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09
Seem there's no way to install new Java 1.7.0!? The silent install fails and the msi file isn't unpacked to the Sun profiles folder.       ... missing Export-Kernel32.dll:InterlockedPOPEntrySList.

I successfully have unpacked the msi file on Win XP. It is possible to run it on Win ME, but there are some errors:  Java Setup  Error 26011.Unpacking rt failed and others  

Java 1.7 doesn't work.

New requirement: msvcr100.dll (Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Red)

My System: Win ME, KernelEX 4.5.1, MS VC++ 2005 and 2008 red

Edited by schwups, 18 August 2011 - 02:29 AM.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09
Simply installing vc_red.msi (MS VC++ 2010 red) doesn't help.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09
I added a help page to the Wiki. "Create a new page".  KernelEX Help page 

Lipper

Lipper

• 38 posts
  • Joined 08-February 11

I've tested the PDF-XChange Viewer new version 2.5.197 (08.07.2011) successfully

I just downloaded PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.197 portable and it works (opens PDFs) in KEx 4.5.1 Default Compatibility mode. Have either of you tried printing a doc? I seem to remember that was an issue in previous versions of PDF and KEx, and I don't have a printer to test with.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

I just downloaded PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.197 portable and it works (opens PDFs) in KEx 4.5.1 Default Compatibility mode. Have either of you tried printing a doc? I seem to remember that was an issue in previous versions of PDF and KEx, and I don't have a printer to test with.

I can't print. I' ve tested it on two machines.

Lipper

Lipper

• 38 posts
  • Joined 08-February 11

I can't print. I' ve tested it on two machines.

Thanks for the info. :thumbup

ScrewUpgrading

ScrewUpgrading

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 22-July 11
Thanks, CharlesF. :thumbup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users