Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1557 replies to this topic

roscoegrable

roscoegrable
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 17-January 13
I just wanted to thank the all of contributors for the info I got from this site. I found someone who had an old Presario that they hadn't even powered up in years and they were just going to toss it in the trash. Well I'm just a little too frugal for that, but I didn't want a boat anchor ME OS, so I did a little research and found Kernelex..... WOW. With an $13 investment I brought the RAM up to 640 (not bad for an old machine) and $12 for a wireless adapter, I have turned this once dust covered PC into a very capable browser. With Kernelex I can fly Opera 11.64 and Firefox 8.0. I was able to load Flash 11 and Reader 6 Since it didn't cost me much I've thrown caution to the wind and and have loaded up a ton of freeware. This machine now rivals my XP station and all for a $25 investment. So once again my big thanxxx for the folks who created Kernelex and the contributors to this forum who supplied invaluable input. The only problem I'm still having is getting my HP Office Jet K60 printer running (the HP web site is less than helpful), I have down loaded every driver I could find and tried every method of installing them with no success...............any input????

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jumper

jumper

2014 All-American Masters HJ'er

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11
Welcome to MSFN, roscoegrable. :)

While KernelEx might be able to help with driver installers, it doesn't help with the drivers themselves. Since your printer problem isn't KernelEx-related (yet), I suggest starting a new topic in the Windows 9x / ME subforum.

You should also look here first for a good idea from jds that might work for you.
Design feedback requested:
IHAtool - IpHlpApi tester; call various functions and report results
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
ComDlg32 wrapper - ComDlgEx meets IpHlpApi wrapper
--status-> PrintDlgExW working in latest SumatraPDF 8^)
Future projects: ImportPatcher40 - dialog interface; Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

jumper

jumper

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11

Confirmed: The method of the Kext topic post 58 fails for the new versions 2.2 and 2.2.1. The other method of (topic) Printing with KernelEX - post 27 is still working for me (tested for single app).

Yesterday I took a look at that 24Mar2012 version of ComDlgEx.dll and think I know what is going on--that SumatraPDF 2.2 is now passing real unicode strings to PrintDlgExW instead of multibyte strings.

The 24Mar2012 version of ComDlgEx is actually the best in that it has real Unicode support for PrintDlgExW. But it didn't work with KernelEx via Kexstubs because of the way KernelEx uses Unicows. So the ComDlgKx.dll is dumbed down slightly to work with KernelEx and doesn't work with what S'PDF2.2+ is now doing.

Fortunately I've learned a lot since last March. I should now be able to produce a better ComDlg32 wrapper that will work both stand-alone and with Kexstubs along the lines of the IpHlpApi wrapper I've been working on recently. I'll post an update in Printing with KernelEx 4.5.1 when I can.
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
Future projects: ImportPatcher40 - dialog interface; Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

trevor89

trevor89

Junior

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 31-December 08
Hi, just thought Id point out that WMP can be run in XP mode allowing the UI colour to be changed, Volume and position to be changed in fullscreen.

http://fgfc.dyndns-f...m/WMP_98_XP.jpg

just change wmp.dll to xp in KEX.

Current Config : Win98se, Autopatcher, 98-me, RP9, kex, kexex

Trev

P.S. I posted a long time ago I got uPnP working on 98 - with systray icon and balloon, however I cant seem to get it this time round...
Posted Image

farfigs11

farfigs11

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 29-October 12
[quote name='rainyd' timestamp='1357681616' post='1026181']
New version (11.5.502.146) of Flash Player for non-IE browsers is still OK with Win98 SE+KeX 4.5.2.

How do you run the installer? I've tried 2000sp4 and xpsp2. I'm using Flash player 11.1. I get runtime error "pure virtual function call" in Viusal C++ library - it's 2005 sp1

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 829 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

New version (11.5.502.146) of Flash Player for non-IE browsers is still OK with Win98 SE+KeX 4.5.2.
How do you run the installer? I've tried 2000sp4 and xpsp2. I'm using Flash player 11.1. I get runtime error "pure virtual function call" in Viusal C++ library - it's 2005 sp1

The latest Flash plugin version is now 11.6.602.168 I believe.
:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Asus AMD Radeon HD5450 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

The exe installer works up to version 11.1.102.63. See KernelEX Wiki. There are two possibilities for the later versions.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05

You can't use exe installer - try msi version instead from here.

Yes, it's true - it works without problem (non-IE version).

Edited by rainyd, 19 February 2013 - 02:31 PM.

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Joined 17-June 08

Hi, just thought Id point out that WMP can be run in XP mode allowing the UI colour to be changed, Volume and position to be changed in fullscreen.

And what version of WMP is it?

farfigs11

farfigs11

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 29-October 12

You can't use exe installer - try msi version instead from here.

Yes, it's true - it works without problem (non-IE version).

Thank you rainyd, FP 11.6 msi worked. At first it said "error starting program-missing winhttp.dll" . On Youtube would just show black screen. I found the FP files on HD and set them to XPSP2 mode and then it worked flawlessly. I then changed them all back to "default" one at a time to see which one, and it still works.

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06
As I've seen many people have problems building the project, I've written instructions on how to configure your build environment.

http://kernelex.sour...ilding_KernelEx
KernelEx: home board download

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Great job with the docs, thank you! :thumbup
I read through and there's a couple of things that might need further clarification:
1. What exactly should the msvc6chk tool do? People who already have an old VC6 installation with multiple modifications might have problems if headers get changed, possibly adding duplicate definitions or whatever. But first, where is it? Can't find it in the sources, nor is it anywhere on my HDD (VC6/PSDK included).
2. Note 2 says: "To execute sdbcreate project and create SDB database you need Windows Vista or later. " What about those that can only access Win98/ME/XP machines? Is the SDB database/project mandatory for KernelEx?

Now, I've tried to build again. Everything went fine except for a couple of warnings.
building kexbasen.dll:
D:\free\KernelEx\apilibs\kexbasen\kernel32\jemalloc/jemalloc.c(239) : warning C4163: '_BitScanForward' : not available as an intrinsic function

building auxiliary:
psapi.c(53) : warning C4273: 'GetProcessId' : inconsistent dll linkage.  dllexport assumed.

However, the NSIS installer (I used 2.46, latest at the time of writing this) errors out at line 335 - I assume it has to do with the sdbcreate file that cannot be found, because the tool wouldn't run on 98SE. What can we do in this situation?

jumper

jumper

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11
> 1. What exactly should the msvc6chk tool do? ... But first, where is it? Can't find it in the sources, nor is it anywhere on my HDD (VC6/PSDK included).

It's here in the KernelEx.SVN. I don't know why it's not in the source package along with the rest of what's in the SVN.

2. Note 2 says: "To execute sdbcreate project and create SDB database you need Windows Vista or later. " What about those that can only access Win98/ME/XP machines?

Maybe we can use Kexstubs to get it to run under Win9x. It comes as source that gets built along with the rest of the KernelEx project, so I don't have the executable to analyze.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Ah thanks, I forgot to check the SVN (not that I'm very fond of scouring through folders and files anyway).

The sdbcreate executable compiles fine under my 98SE but at runtime it throws an error reporting missing export NtOpenFile in NTDLL.DLL (which is probably forwarded to the kernel), called from APPHELP.DLL. The only dependencies of sdbcreate.exe are SHLWAPI.DLL, KERNEL32.DLL and APPHELP.DLL and the first two seem to be fulfilled, at least apparently.

My version of APPHELP.DLL is the one from XP-SP1 (5.1.2600.1106) - dunno if it's suposed to work in 9x or how I ended up with it (I do add/replace many system files manually when something seems to be missing). There is no such file on the Win98SE or ME CD.

Here's the sdbcreate I built earlier today: download

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,957 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

1. What exactly should the msvc6chk tool do?

See this and this. :)

jumper

jumper

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11
> Here's the sdbcreate I built earlier today: download

Thanks...it confirmed my worst fears. :ph34r:

http://dependencywalker.com/faq.html
"You do not need (or want) APPHELP.DLL on Windows 95/98/ME/2000." The bad news: Sdbcreate needs apphelp.dll which won't be working on win9x anytime soon (too many dependencies, too low priority):
"Usage: sdbcreate.exe dbspec.ini out.sdb [out.reg]\n"The good news: This is MSI-related and we don't really need the MSI installer. Once users have 4.52 installed, they can update individual files; or we can create a new installer that can be built on Win9x.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Thanks Den, I got it. Update went smoothly.

Jumper, sdbcreate should build a file called KernelEx.sdb that's required by the NSIS (not MSI) installer to build the KernelEx installation package. Without that file, the installer script bails out, so we cannot build a KernelEx installer under 9x unless the .nsi script gets modified (which I don't think we should try).

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06
Drugwash,

While I've added these files to repository a couple of days ago to the repository I didn't update source code packages which I'm correcting now.
I've just updated source code distribution on SourceForge to include the files in question.
http://sourceforge.n...KernelEx/4.5.2/

---

Jumper,

KernelEx.sdb is a special database containing Microsoft Installer (MSI) transform files. These files allow the system to modify the MSI files on the fly so you don't have to mess with Orca by hand, eg. remove VersionNT dependencies.
Having that said, KernelEx.sdb needs to be recreated only if new transforms are added.

Currently there are transforms for:
  • Google Earth 5.1
  • Google Earth 5.2
  • Google Earth 5.2.1
  • Google Earth 6 beta
  • Office 2007 File Format Converters
  • Word Viewer 2003
  • Excel Viewer 2003
  • Office 2003 Professional
  • Acrobat Reader 7

KernelEx: home board download

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Excellent! Now that KernelEx.sdb is in the package, the NSIS installer gets built without a hitch. :thumbup It's a bit larger though: 229,518 bytes versus original 228,428 bytes. But as it turns out, that's entirely the fault of NSIS (can be seen by opening both original KEx and the newly built one in 7-zip - Packed Size for $PLUGINSDIR is 182,410 vs 181,320). Maybe I should've installed v2.44 instead of 2.46 but that's me: pushing things to the limit. :angel

Well, all in all, things went just fine. Where to, now? :unsure:

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Send me a test package. LOL, Thanks :thumbup

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Joined 01-December 11

Hmmm, I think most of us would benefit if KernelEX could be updated to get the latest browser version/build as possible to work flawlessly.
Maybe also Java 7 and up ?

This is so exciting and I wish I could help but I don't understand one bit of programming :blushing:

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Well, what we need most is a whole lotta luck, right now. I don't know much of programming either, when it comes to real languages such as C/C++/C#, Delphi, ASM and so on. I could read and possibly understand portions of code, but not the "full picture", unfortunately. I've been working mostly with AutoHotkey, which is a macro language, interpreter-based, single-threaded, completely unsuitable for kernel-related tasks. I can at most build a few small utilities to aid in programming or daily computer operation, but other than that, I'd leave it to much more knowledgeable people. :blushing:

Thing is, all (or greatest majority) of nowadays' applications are completely disregarding RAM, CPU, storage limitations, considering the new hardware's capabilities. However, us 9x users cannot benefit from newest hardware, but are limited to old one that we can still find drivers for. As such, any software we use should take into account the maximum RAM size (512MB for standard 98SE, 1.15GB or more for ME or R. Loew's patch users), maximum CPU type (instruction sets, speed, number of cores, etc), maximum HDD storage considering the FAT/32 file system and cluster size, maximum USB speed (no USB 3.0+ drivers for 9x) and whatever else I may have omitted here.

Since nowadays' software doesn't care about the above, we either need programmers that could build drivers for newest hardware, or programmers that could build a whole new set of applications with regard to the 9x limitations mentioned above. But then, another issue arises: old hardware will eventually fail, spare parts will be hard - and at some point, impossible - to find and with no drivers for new hardware, we will be forced to give up. And personally, I would rather give up internet and computers as a whole, than being just an extension of 'the cloud'. Simple as that!

jumper

jumper

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11
A good place to start might be to review and update all the version strings.

Most of the DLL's have product version "4.5.2" and file version "4, 5, 12, 0".
Sheet.dll has product version "1, 0, 0, 7" and file version "1, 0, 0, 7"
At the end of the install (or whenever run) verify.exe reports "v4.5.120".

I suggest updating all product versions to "4.5.3" and verify.exe to "v4.5.3"

Also the copyrights are 2009-2010; should be 2009-2011 (at least).
Comments, Legal Trademarks, Private Build Description, Special Build Description can be removed (unless you want to use them).

Edit: Just realized you might want to start a new topic "KernelEx 4.5.3 alpha"! :w00t:

Edited by jumper, 27 February 2013 - 04:58 PM.

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12
It will be 4.6.0, the changelog will include (but will be changed during the development):

Spoiler

Edited by Leyok, 27 February 2013 - 05:35 PM.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05
Leyok, it would be possible to use a good defragmentation tool like Defraggler when you release a new version of KeX?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users