Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1557 replies to this topic

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 849 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

what opera 12.02 works is kernelex 4.5.2??
...without errors and failures?

Opera 12.02 works fine on Windows 98SE (and I assume Windows ME) using KernelEx.
There are a few anomalies, for instance you can't drag bookmarks around on the personal bar to re-order them as you should be able to do, but they are mainly cosmetic.
:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

utplayer

utplayer
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 18-May 13
Is this project still in development? I see it's apparently also meant for games. Well, in Unreal Tournament (the first one) ACE developers were smart enough to deprecate pre-2000 support, effectively blocking all of those systems from online play since most servers run this engine. Well, I tried KernelEx 2000 mode on 98SE and the game simply crashes on startup. It works with 98SE mode though, but I doubt this will help anything. Also, I'm running the game through the Glide API, which was still supported on 2000.

It's perhaps futile, but I guess it's worth noting here that a contemporary Win98 game does not work with KernelEx :)

Also another question... this application doesn't make any permanent changes to system files, right?

Edited by utplayer, 18 May 2013 - 04:13 AM.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

It's perhaps futile, but I guess it's worth noting here that a contemporary Win98 game does not work with KernelEx :)

According to the rest of what you wrote this is a completely inaccurate generalization. Your game only crashes when you put it in 2K mode and vanilla 98SE apps are certainly not meant to be run in specific NT or higher compatibility modes.

utplayer

utplayer
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 18-May 13

According to the rest of what you wrote this is a completely inaccurate generalization. Your game only crashes when you put it in 2K mode and vanilla 98SE apps are certainly not meant to be run in specific NT or higher compatibility modes.

Depends on what you mean by "vanilla 98SE apps". Epic always listed NT4 as working for this game.

Windashnet

Windashnet

• 44 posts
  • Joined 31-October 10

Depends on what you mean by "vanilla 98SE apps". Epic always listed NT4 as working for this game.

Yes but, since the game has native win98SE support, it sets up its installed files for win98SE mode. If you simply must have it run in win2K mode, you mite try the registry fix noted earlier in this thread, so when you install the game it reads your system as win2K from the registry and installs for win2K. Then it may work(?) with the KernalEX win2K mode enabled.

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 07-December 06
QtWeb 3.8.4 browser starts at Windows 2000 compatibility mode. But it crashes when I connect to the Internet.

In Windows 2000 SP4, QtWeb 3.8.4 requires API wrapper file (kernel32 in OCW or KDW) to work.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

QtWeb 3.8.4 browser starts at Windows 2000 compatibility mode. But it crashes when I connect to the Internet.

In Windows 2000 SP4, QtWeb 3.8.4 requires API wrapper file (kernel32 in OCW or KDW) to work.

It works, if you disable JavaScript. Also I tried older versions. Versions 3.5 and 3.7 give a message: "The scipt on this page appears to have a problem. Do you want to stop the script?" Version 3.2 seem to work fine. I didn't try every version.

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 07-December 06
Thanks for your response, and I am happy to know that latest QtWeb still works on Windows 98.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

It works, if you disable JavaScript. Also I tried older versions. Versions 3.5 and 3.7 give a message: "The scipt on this page appears to have a problem. Do you want to stop the script?"  Version 3.2 seem to work fine. I didn't try every version.

Hallo halohalo,

What issues you have found? Do you have the JavaScript problem with versions 3.3 up to 3.7, too? Are you able to print? 

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 07-December 06

Hallo halohalo,

What issues you have found? Do you have the JavaScript problem with versions 3.3 up to 3.7, too? Are you able to print? 

I got same JavaScript error with 3.7.x.

QtWeb can't display Korean, Japanese or Chinese, and it shuts down when I try printing.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

Hallo halohalo,

I got same JavaScript error with 3.7.x.

QtWeb can't display Korean, Japanese or Chinese, and it shuts down when I try printing.

I can see that the Pluinchecker and the JavaScript Tester confirm that Java Script works with 3.7. Maybe it works somehow delayed. Anyway it is an annoying message. I added QT Web to the Wiki. I will upload the screenshot and icon after maintenance.

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 07-December 06
Latest Flash Player 11.8.800.94 plugin works with Kext, just like 11.7.

When I visit specific websites (like http://www.noitamina.../english/movie/), Flash Player 11.x can't connect to the media server.
I tried 10.3, 11.0, 11.1, 11.7 and 11.8. Only 11.x players receive the error code "VE_FMS_CONNECT_FAILED".

jumper

jumper

2014 All-American Masters HJ'er

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11
Do the 11.x versions produce the same error on XP or later? Perhaps they call additional apis that KernelEx only stubs.

Please check the K452stub.log and Kstub822.log files for clues.

Edited by jumper, 10 July 2013 - 03:07 AM.

Design feedback requested:
IHAtool - IpHlpApi tester; call various functions and report results
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
ComDlg32 wrapper - ComDlgEx meets IpHlpApi wrapper
--status-> PrintDlgExW working in latest SumatraPDF 8^)
Future projects: ImportPatcher40 - dialog interface; Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

Win2k3EE

Win2k3EE

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Joined 15-May 05
I have to say a big THANK YOU to all the guys involved in this project. I'm a huge fan of Windows 98SE and KernelEx is giving me the opportunity to use Windows 98SE in 2013. So, THANK YOU guys for your wonderful job and the passion you put into it. :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
I could not get any flash players after 11.5 to start on my machines, install goes fine but the plugin does not start in the browser, with or without Kstub. No errors seen.
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

I could not get any flash players after 11.5 to start on my machines, install goes fine but the plugin does not start in the browser, with or without Kstub. No errors seen.

Hallo TmEE,

what browser you use and with which compatibility mode?  If your browser runs with comp. mode 2K or XP the Flash dll name is NPSWF32_11_x_xxx_xxx.dll. If the browser runs with comp. mode default (KernelEX is enabled) the Flash dll name must be NPSWF32.dll. You also can paste the Flash dll in the plugin folder of your browser. First the browser looks into this folder. Did you add the winhttp.dll in your system folder? See Wiki. 

Kext is required to install Flash 11.3 - 11.8 (only msi). Versions 11.7 and 11.8 require the additional Kstub entry "[Gdi32.dll] GdiAlphaBlend". 

Edited by schwups, 11 July 2013 - 10:48 AM.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09
posts 1487/1488

Do the 11.x versions produce the same error on XP or later?

Yes, tested with XP SP2 and Flash 11.1. 

Edited by schwups, 11 July 2013 - 10:45 AM.

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

Opera has 2K compatibility mode enabled. There's no difference whether or not the flash DLL is in Opera plugins or the System\Macromed\Flash

WINHTTP.DLL is in my system as some other software needs it.

I don't have the additional Kstub entry though...

Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

Opera has 2K compatibility mode enabled. There's no difference whether or not the flash DLL is in Opera plugins or the System\Macromed\Flash

WINHTTP.DLL is in my system as some other software needs it.

I don't have the additional Kstub entry though...

It doesn't work, if the name of the flash dll is NPSWF32.dll. The number in the name must match the version number -  e.g.: NPSWF32_11_6_602_180.dll.

Otherwise try this: Delete registry keys "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerUpdate". And reinstall version 11.6. Versions 11.7/8 require the additional Kstub entry "[Gdi32.dll] GdiAlphaBlend". 

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 07-December 06
NPSWF32_11_8_800_94.dll only works on 2000/XP mode.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

Do the 11.x versions produce the same error on XP or later? Perhaps they call additional apis that KernelEx only stubs.

Please check the K452stub.log and Kstub822.log files for clues.

K452stub.log: 

[K452stub]
= Advapi32.dll:CryptAcquireContextW=z5 ;? =

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

Playing around with the core.ini:

For proud ME and 98 enthusiasts / users.

The following comp. mode changes the Opera browser header from Win2000 to your operation system.
Your browser sends your operation system and not Win2000. A website recognizes your real OS.
You run Opera 11 and 12 mostly without the issues you have with mode "Use default compatibility options (KernelEx is enabled)".

usage:

1. Open the core.ini in the kernelEX folder
2. Add the item 11 to [ApiConfigurations]
3. Insert the remaining text below [WINMESP]... or [WIN98SESP]...
4. Save
5. Restart
6. Choose new comp. mode for Opera 11.

ME user:

Spoiler

98 user:

Spoiler

Edited by schwups, 23 July 2013 - 02:08 AM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 849 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Great, and it does what it says on the tin schwups, but I'm afraid I immediately saw problems with Opera 12.02 using this setup.

:no:

The first thing I noticed was that the pop-up at the bottom right of frame when downloads completed was not appearing.

I then looked more closely, and found that large chunks of the Opera tools menu were missing, including all the settings options!

Setting the opera.exe KernelEx compatibility mode back to Windows 2000 put all this right again.

:(

Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

Great, and it does what it says on the tin schwups, but I'm afraid I immediately saw problems with Opera 12.02 using this setup.

The first thing I noticed was that the pop-up at the bottom right of frame when downloads completed was not appearing.

I then looked more closely, and found that large chunks of the Opera tools menu were missing, including all the settings options!

Setting the opera.exe KernelEx compatibility mode back to Windows 2000 put all this right again.

:(

Hallo Dave-H,

you are right, not everything works. There still lacks some menu items for me,  eg.: View > Full Screen or File > Print Preview, but otherwise it looks pretty good. There remain only a few menu errors.

The pop-up at the bottom right of frame when downloads completed appears here on 98SE and ME.  :hello:

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 849 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Hallo Dave-H,

you are right, not everything works. There still lacks some menu items for me,  eg.: View > Full Screen or File > Print Preview, but otherwise it looks pretty good. There remain only a few menu errors.

The pop-up at the bottom right of frame when downloads completed appears here on 98SE and ME.  :hello:

I've done some more tests, and I'm afraid the notification at the bottom right of frame for when downloads end is definitely not working for me with that configuration.

I assume this applies to all these notifications, e.g. for blocked pop-ups.

If I set the KernelEx mode back to Windows 2000 it starts working again.

I certainly can't use Opera without access to the settings menus!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users