Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1557 replies to this topic

Briansurvivedwindowsme

Briansurvivedwindowsme

• 24 posts

hmm,idk.i tried compatibility with Windows XP SP2 and it doesn't open anything.I tried compatibility with Windows Vista,and there was an error message.At least the setup opened and said it was aborted or something like that. :huh:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

I know that WDM is designed to be forward compatible, and generally not backwards compatible, but couldn't a Win XP driver work on ME. I have gotten two drivers for windows 7 to run On my XP machine with no issue (unmodified). So theoretically couldn't it work here too (not talking about kernelEx making a difference). (not that it will I might have just been lucky)

quote from wikipedia (I know its wikipedia but read here) "By conforming to WDM, drivers can be binary compatible and source-compatible across Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista (for backwards compatibility) on x86-based computers."

There are two issues with backporting WDM Drivers.

1. Newer OSes have more WDM Functions
2. There are differences between WDM implementations between Windows 95, 98/98SE/ME and Windows NT OSes such as 2000, XP, 7 Etc.

I have made some attempts to port USB 3 and HD Audio to Windows 9x. I was able to add the missing functions, but the Drivers still did not work.

Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

One really big thing that 9x does different is that floating point registers are not preserved by the OS. When a driver uses FPU stuff and expects OS to handle preservation things will crumble down very quick.

Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

Briansurvivedwindowsme

Briansurvivedwindowsme

• 24 posts
Yeah,I guess no winxp drivers for me.Another program is having trouble.Its Stardock ObjectDesktop now.When I use kernel ex to have Windows 2000 or Windows XP compatibility,the setup starts,but at the very end there is an error that says it can't find Cacls.exe and the setup exits without finishing.As far as I know this is some kind of permissions program in Windows NT.Is there any way I can bypass the error and finish the setup successfully or patch in Cacls.exe to Windows ME?

Psst...I'm trying to make my computer look more like Windows Longhorn since I love it.I even put longhorn sounds,and now I want a sidebar to match up perfectly.

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
I have Oney's book on writing WDM Drivers. There is a section at the end of many chapters listing specific issues relating to Windows 9x as compared to NT.

In addition, I have found commands where the function calls were changed such as from fastcall to stdcall or a different number of arguments.
Others have had parameters changed so they fail in Windows 9x.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

go98

go98

• 20 posts
rloew, I've also considered porting a hd audio driver, but if you couldn't do it (yet), it sounds like we are doomed...

Briansurvivedwindowsme

Briansurvivedwindowsme

• 24 posts

lol,found out objectbar actually installed.i just had to search through the C: drive for the program.:D it is a bit glitchy but thats all right.i luv kernel ex!

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

As I recall, old version of Object Bar didn't require KernelEx and allowed having XP style taskbar and start menu on Windows 98. However it was resource hungry (GDI and USER resources), and mostly failed to remember the recently run application list.

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Latest Flash Player 13.0.0.214 crashes Opera 12.02, Firefox Nightly 3.6.29pre, and IE6 sp1 on Win98se Traditional Chinese version, when I try to access Flash Player settings panel.

Edited by halohalo, 15 May 2014 - 08:58 AM.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Latest Flash Player 13.0.0.214 plugin crashes Opera 12.02

It works for me. I'll check again on some more machines.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

I can't reproduce the error for Opera 12.02 on my machines (english and german). 

Latest Flash Player 13.0.0.214 plugin crashes Opera 12.02, when I try to access Flash Player settings panel.

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

I can't reproduce the error for Opera 12.02 on my machines (english and german). 

Latest Flash Player 13.0.0.214 plugin crashes Opera 12.02, when I try to access Flash Player settings panel.

I've solved the problem.

Flash Player 13.0.0.206 only requires GdiAlphaBlend, but 13.0.0.214 requires GdiAlphaBlend and RtlInitUnicodeString. I got the error message because I deleted all other functions except GdiAlphaBlend.

Edited by halohalo, 29 May 2014 - 07:09 AM.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

GdiAlphaBlend is just the Gdi implementation (for consistency?) of AlphaBlend which already exists in msimg32.dll for Win9x.

If possible, redirect the call to msimg32 in Kext and transparency effects should work (unless they're bound to something else that's not working).

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Probably it will then look like this.

[Gdi32.dll]
GdiAlphaBlend=>msimg32.dll:AlphaBlend

It works here.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Yep, and so it should. ;)

There are more such "migrated" APIs and they could be found by performing a cross-comparison between msimg32.dll's API and the Gdi**** API in NT-based systems' gdi32.dll. Adding them to Kext in advance shouldn't hurt.

One thing to keep in mind is that according to MSDN there's a memory leak in msimg32's TransparentBlt (which I'm using in RPTE so it'd be nice to have this confirmed), so binding GdiTransparentBlt to TransparentBlt in Kext may impact on GDI resources.

jumper

jumper

2014 All-American Masters HJ'er

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Good work, everyone.  I'd chime in more, but am having web access difficulties.  Development on many fronts continues....

Design feedback requested:
IHAtool - IpHlpApi tester; call various functions and report results
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
ComDlg32 wrapper - ComDlgEx meets IpHlpApi wrapper
--status-> PrintDlgExW working in latest SumatraPDF 8^)
Future projects: ImportPatcher40 - dialog interface; Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

daveo76

daveo76

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts

It been 3 years since Kernelex has last been updated. Is it ever going to be updated again. I'm running Windows 98SE in VMware Workstation 10 and everytime I try to install any windows xp programs I get this error message "is linked to missing export ntdll.dl:NTOpenProcessToken"

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

It been 3 years since Kernelex has last been updated. Is it ever going to be updated again. I'm running Windows 98SE in VMware Workstation 10 and everytime I try to install any windows xp programs I get this error message "is linked to missing export ntdll.dl:NTOpenProcessToken"

Doesnt seem like it, but you should take a look at the KEXT mini updates though.

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Kext (Kstub822) supports NtOpenProcessToken, but usually are more API's required to run not listed XP apps.

daveo76

daveo76

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Doesnt seem like it, but you should take a look at the KEXT mini updates though.

Thanks I try that

daveo76

daveo76

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts

KEXT is made for MACs not windows

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

LOL Not that KEXT, This KEXT - http://www.msfn.org/...lex-extensions/. :)

Cheers and Regards

• daveo76 likes this

Posted Image

daveo76

daveo76

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts

LOL Not that KEXT, This KEXT - http://www.msfn.org/...lex-extensions/. :)

Cheers and Regards

Thanks but there to many tweaking required for that. That only seems to be good for experts. I wanted something that was like kernelex but updated to run latest programs. I just leave my windows 98 as is. Only using it in VMware just for interest

ironman14

ironman14

• PipPip
  • 202 posts
Guys, when I try to reach the KernelEx wiki "compatible applications" category I get the following error message:
http://kernelex.sour...le_applications

Click on the link to see it. This has been a problem since I knew about KernelEx, which was last summer. I thought it was a temporary error, so I did nothing about it. But now that I still see the error, I was wondering if anyone here could fix it. Thanks.

daveo76

daveo76

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Guys, when I try to reach the KernelEx wiki "compatible applications" category I get the following error message:
http://kernelex.sour...le_applications

Click on the link to see it. This has been a problem since I knew about KernelEx, which was last summer. I thought it was a temporary error, so I did nothing about it. But now that I still see the error, I was wondering if anyone here could fix it. Thanks.

You got the link wrong. It http://kernelex.sour...s&redirect=no.

Also it 3 years old that list is. Mostly no applications work with it anymore

Edited by daveo76, 12 June 2014 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN