Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1557 replies to this topic

Philco

Philco

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 24-June 06

I trying reinstaling with Microsoft Global IME (Input Method Editor) 5.02 for Windows 95, 98, and NT 4.0 • scmondo.exe: Simplified Chinese IME + lang pack (4.3 MB - page bottom) and chinese character OK (FF2.0.0.22pre, FF 2.0.0.20, FF3.5, IE 6.1).

So you managed to install the Chinese IME? Are all of the dialogs and menus working? Mine is still broken since KernelEx 0.3.6 (Or maybe even before that? I don't have 0.3.2 to test with anymore)... :( (Right-clicking on the Chinese IME icon and clicking the "Input options" menu only produces a "click" sound)

This IME its active on run Outlook any Office product, IE or Opera or FF. This IME not require KernelEx.
Posted Image
czech localization NUSB, BigHDD & UberSkin - homepage czech project: Winpack.org and windows98.ic.cz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

sp193

sp193

The fallen spartan

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 14-November 07

This IME its active on run Outlook any Office product, IE or Opera or FF. This IME not require KernelEx.

You don't understand..... the Simplified Chinese IME I installed was like the one stated, meant for Win95/98/ME and NT4 without Office XP installed. However, the IME would break after I install KernelEx, and would work again after uninstalling KernelEx (The "Input Options" dialog under the menu displayed when the the IME's icon is right-clicked does not display, and only a "click" is heard).

It used to work for me, but I can't remember how long ago that was (Probably before KernelEx 0.36 was released?). It worked with all programs that supported the use of Win98's IMEs, but now this fault is now evident in those programs.

I wanted to see if I was the only one experiencing it, or if it was really an issue caused by KernelEx. I am using Windows 98SE (Codepage is natively 437).

However, I can't say if this issue was only caused by KernelEx as my system was modded my SH95UPD (But the IME still worked after it's installation), that's why I wanted someone else to help me confirm if the issue is caused by KEX alone.

@Xeno86, thanks for the updates though. This isn't a bug report; I only want confirmation for a certain fault.

I posted a post like this in the old KernelEx thread but it was ignored though... Thanks.

Edited by sp193, 09 July 2009 - 06:51 AM.

SPARTAN-193: Don't leave me behind Master Chief!

aqcww

aqcww

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08
First time 2 setup ver 4.0,but unfortunately,i got this:
Posted Image
:wacko:
i'm using chinese windows me.
Posted Image

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08
I'm new to KernelEx and went into the following problem using it. This is just usage enquiry rather than problem reporting.

Win98SE
KernelEx 4.0 RC 2
Firefox 2

Used xp.reg
Installed Flash player 10
Used unxp.reg

However, the Flash player 10 crashed Firefox 2. When running any Flash page (including the flash player version test page: http://kb2.adobe.com...5/tn_15507.html ), it just closed Firefox 2 without any message. Hmm... I saw someone mentioned a need to create a new profile... Perhaps, I should reread the thread again.

Sorry, no hints after rereading. I tried reinstalling Flash 10 under a new profile of Firefox 2 but still having the same situation. Simply closed Firefox 2. Which logs should I look at to see why it is closed?

I reinstall Flash 9 and resumed the system working already.

I will keep at KernelEx 4.0 RC 2 first and appreciate any help from you all. Please kindly help if you went into similar situation before, thanks.

Btw, are there any simple test to verify that my KernelEx was installed correctly?

Edited by oc_dt, 10 July 2009 - 11:19 PM.

OC

sp193

sp193

The fallen spartan

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 14-November 07
Flash Player 10 never work properly on Win98 with KEX. I have to overwrite Flash 10 with 9 every time it gets installed automatically (Flash 9 would auto-update my installation to Flash 10, as it thought that my system could support it)

Therefore it won't work until this issue gets resolved.

Btw, are there any simple test to verify that my KernelEx was installed correctly?

I don't think so. I haven't seen any way to test your KEX installation in 0.4.0 ... yet.

Edited by sp193, 11 July 2009 - 02:20 AM.

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08

Flash Player 10 never work properly on Win98 with KEX. I have to overwrite Flash 10 with 9 every time it gets installed automatically (Flash 9 would auto-update my installation to Flash 10, as it thought that my system could support it)

Therefore it won't work until this issue gets resolved.

Thanks, at least I'm not alone. According to Xeno86, it should work for him:

With 98SE and Kernelex 4.0 RC 2, I can install Flash 10.0.22 but Firefox 3.0.7 crashes every time. (Seamonkey 1.1.15 complains about Flash 10 when it starts but after I close the dialog, Seamonkey works and Flash 10 works.) Reinstalling Flash 9.0 r159 eliminates all of these problems. Flash 10 use to work for me with Kernelex 0.3.5 but it hasn't worked since 0.3.6. Any suggestions?

:huh:
It must be something wrong with your configuration, because I use Firefox 3.0.7 with Flash 10 everyday and it works for everybody else.
My suggestion is to do clear install of Firefox 3 and creating a new profile.

I tried using new profile but still failing. I'm uncertain whether Firefox 3 is mandatory though.
OC

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05
Flash 10 also works perfectly in Opera 9.64 here. Try it in Opera.
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

RetroOS

RetroOS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Joined 26-June 07
I've run Flash 10 since it was released with Firefox 3.0.x and now 3.5.x (with current Flash 10.0.22.87).
I don't remember having any crashes with it...
I'm running the English versions of Windows 98SE and Firefox 3.x.
retrofreak n a person who is very enthusiastic about something from the past.
retrology n the study of association with and revival from the past.
life n a series of near misses.

Philco

Philco

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 24-June 06

I've run Flash 10 since it was released with Firefox 3.0.x and now 3.5.x (with current Flash 10.0.22.87).

You try http://imageshack.us/ and Browse, select file and Open... (no Old version ImageShack without Flash)
Posted Image
czech localization NUSB, BigHDD & UberSkin - homepage czech project: Winpack.org and windows98.ic.cz

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08

Ah... Does it mean that I have to upgrade to Firefox 3? No chance for Firefox 2 to work with Flash 10?
OC

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 07-December 06
On my PC, Flash 10 plays MP4 smoothly with Firefox 3.5 instead of Firefox 2 or Opera 9.64. But Flash 10 doesn't crash Fx2 when I browse Flash pages.

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 12-December 08

On my PC, Flash 10 plays MP4 smoothly with Firefox 3.5 instead of Firefox 2 or Opera 9.64. But Flash 10 doesn't crash Fx2 when I browse Flash pages.

Do you mean that you can successfully install Flash 10 on Firefox 2 under KernelEx and Win98SE?
OC

Philco

Philco

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 24-June 06

Do you mean that you can successfully install Flash 10 on Firefox 2 under KernelEx and Win98SE?

Yes, with KernelEx and registry hack... Only any small problem (e.g. imageshack.us).
Posted Image

sp193

sp193

The fallen spartan

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 14-November 07
You CAN install and run Flash 10, but some programs that use Flash 10 may occasionally crash (Like Firefox, IE....)

It works most of the time, but I just felt p***ed off whenever it caused my browser windows to close when the browser crashed....

I do not know whether it's due to my system configuration, or maybe it really is a flaw.

I tried it on 2 computers using Win98 (USA and Japan Editions, the USA one being modified with SH95UPD, the Japan Edition is unnmodified), all having similar effects. Flash would load and run properly, but occasionally crash.

Edited by sp193, 17 July 2009 - 05:59 PM.

kurono91

kurono91
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 18-July 09
Hi everybody !

I'm new here and it's a real pleasure to find other fans and users of windows 98. I'm using different OS and my win98 is "windows 98 First Edition"

First thanks to XENO for creating kernelex, this is really an incredible program !

Now for those of you who can't install flash 10 I may have a solution. If the registry hack isn't working this is what you can do.

This works with firefox 3 and surely with firefox 2. I have to check for internet explorer.

First downlad this file at :

http://fpdownload.ma...hplayer-win.xpi

Then you will have to change the extention of the file. For this rename the file flashplayer-win.xpi to flashplayer-win.zip .

Now open the archive file flashplayer-win.zip and extract those 2 files :

- flashplayer.xpt
- NPSWF32.dll

You have to put those files in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\PLUGINS or in the PLUGINS folder of firefox.

And now you get it Flash 10 ! To check this, go to youtube please watch a video and right click on the video and you may see written flash 10 on the list.

If you can't install firefox 3 please use the portable version of fire fox. I personnaly recommand firefox 3.0.11 firefox 3.5 doesn't seems to work.

Philco

Philco

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 24-June 06

If you can't install firefox 3 please use the portable version of fire fox. I personnaly recommand firefox 3.0.11 firefox 3.5 doesn't seems to work.

Thx! Tested and my Firefox 3.5.1 (with KernelEx 4): FlashPlayer 10 busy properly (without install, only replace 2 files).

(On old Firefox 2.0.22.0pre back old version flashplayer 9 - version 10 not properly Browse on e.g. imageshack.us)

Edited by Philco, 18 July 2009 - 03:49 AM.

Posted Image

EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven

Junior

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 14-July 09
Good idea with the XPI..

I tried to run AeroSnap (.NET 2.0 app) on my 98SE2MESP3 box. It errors when you run it:

"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process ID=0xfffbfc9b (-263013), Thread ID=0xfffb6f17 (-299241). Click OK to terminate the application. Click CANCEL to debug the application."

Upon hitting cancel, it informs me that not JIT debugger was specified.

When I run it with KernelEx in Vista or XP SP2 mode, it says that it performed an illegal operation, module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff87ede.

I realize this program is far-fetched as far as trying to run on 98, but I thought I'd give it a go. Since data could always be used, I thought I'd post the info here.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05
Kurono91, this trick doesn't work in my case (Firefox 2.0.0.22 pre).
Firefox recognized Flash 10 but when I've tried to use it on YouTube or Adobe test page, the window was empty.

EyesOfARaven

EyesOfARaven

Junior

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 14-July 09
I tried to run the Boxee alpha on my 98 box with KernelEx, and whether or not KernelEx extensions (or which compatibility) are enabled, I get an error during setup at the end, and then upon trying to run the program get:

The BOXEE.EXE file is linked to missing export SETUPAPI.DLL:CM_Request_Device_EjectA.

Sounds like something that probably would work fine with just a stub in the DLL. Simultaneously with that error, I get the "A device attached to the system is not functioning" one, which I seem to get a lot for many programs. Thanks in advance for looking into it.

Joseph_sw

Joseph_sw

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08
i would like to report that apps that wont shows open/save file-dialog on win98SE, but works just fine on winXP.
using KernelEx-RC 2, i have also tried to set compatiblty to win98SE or win2K-SP4 or winXP-SP2, but still not works.

recently, i found such instance with source code:
http://byuu.org/programming/ (look under tsukuyomi)

on win98SE machine i can compile it with minGW then run the resulting .exe, but it still wont display the file-dialog,
however if i copied the .exe (the compile result) into winXP machine, it works there.

looking on source code, i suspect that "GetOpenFileName()" / "GetSaveFileName()" function was somewhat incompatible.
tested with Dependency Walker, it said that the .exe import GetOpenFileNameA and GetSaveFileNameA from Comdlg32.dll

my comdlg32.dll version was 4.72.3510.2300

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05
Here tsukuyomi must be put in 2K mode to work and the open/save works just fine.

Comdlg32 5.50.4134.100 (I don't know if this one would work on your system)

Windows ME with IE5.5 SP2 here btw.
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

Joseph_sw

Joseph_sw

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08

Comdlg32 5.50.4134.100 (I don't know if this one would work on your system)

dependency walker profile for that comdlg32 look intimidating with its red-marks, it seems the only way to use that version comdlg32.dll on my win98SE system, was via 98SE2ME - Option #3 (which i haven't use, yet)
oh well, here we go...

and, you're right, now many of those apps that previosly wont cough its file-dialog, now works. :thumbup
thanks for the advice.

so, its really was comdlg32.dll problem, those who have similar problem (as current kernelex compatibilty database cited), could try this too.

UPDATE:
using newer kernelex (v4.0 Final by Xeno86 - 2009-07-23) also solve this problem without have to go thru shell replacement.
thanks to Xeno86.

Edited by Joseph_sw, 24 July 2009 - 06:44 AM.

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Joined 26-March 06
Finally after 4 months from last release presenting...
KernelEx v4.0 Final

Now working on Windows 98/Me:

* Flash 10 in Internet Explorer

Major changes:

* added option to installer to select between enabling KernelEx extensions for all applications and disabling them
* added installation verifier
* printer driver software no longer running in NT mode
* file select dialogs in Flash applets and certain applications should work correctly now
* improved RP9 compatibility
* loading MSLU altered floating point unit flags and caused certain programs to crash
* MSLU (Unicows.dll) is no longer loaded right on startup and should be seen referenced less often in system
* Dependency Walker is no longer slow when profiling
* startup speed improvements
* stability improvements
* tons of small changes

Detailed technical changelog is bundled with sources.

This release is supposed to be a stabilization for KernelEx 4.0 series.
Expect thrilling new features and more compatible applications with KernelEx 4.1 series. :hello:
KernelEx: home board download

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Interesting! Lots of people will be excited. ;)

One minor detail (and this goes for every other project around): please, don't call'em "Final", this word has terrible implications for us 9x users, exiled from the computing realms. Rather use "Stable" or something more... optimistic, if I may say so. :rolleyes:

I'll try to test but it's gonna be very limited since my system lately is showing weird signs of failure on boot so I try to keep one session up for as long as possible. :(

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

Expect thrilling new features and more compatible applications with KernelEx 4.1 series. :hello:

Cool :thumbup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Baidu (1)