Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx 4.5.2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1551 replies to this topic

triger49

triger49

• PipPip
  • 143 posts
This is soooo cool ...thanks :thumbup

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
Fantastic news!

Xeno, (of course Tihiy too) thank you so much guys for your hard work and devotion! :thumbup

I've tested (shortly) latest version and indeed crashes (not hard) of some programs are vanished!

Still I have problem with Chinese/Japanese characters (Firefox 3.5.1) - I had it with previous versions of KerneEx too.

My configuration:

1. Win98 SE
2. KernelEx 4.0 Final
3. Firefox 3.5.1
4. characters are not displayed correctly

Edited by rainyd, 24 July 2009 - 04:25 PM.

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
Whooo-hooo-hooo the latest Gimp and Inkscape are running :thumbup
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

patclash

patclash

• 41 posts
:thumbup and the last VLC media player 1.0.0 from Videolan work with this version :yes:

(it dosn't work with the previous versions of KernelEx)

Edited by patclash, 24 July 2009 - 02:41 PM.

tejdog1

tejdog1
  • 1 posts
1. Operating system version – is it Windows 98 Gold (aka First Edition), Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium?
2. KernelEx version - as displayed at the bottom of the Compatibility tab or in Add/Remove Programs tab
3. Program vendor, program name and program version.
4. Description of the problem.
5. Exact steps required to reproduce the problem - what to click and what to press after the program starts
6. Did the program work prior to installing KernelEx? Does disabling KernelEx in compatibility tab fix the problem? - important to classify the category of the bug.

Problem:

1. Windows 98SE
2. KernelEx 4.0 Final
3. Adobe Flash Player 10
4. Refuses to install, says incorrect operating system

Notes: I did create xp.reg with the following contents:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"CurrentVersion"="5.1"

And it did not help remedy the situation.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

:thumbup and the last VLC media player 1.0.0 from Videolan work with this version :yes:

Yes, I can confirm that too.

Xeno, Tihiy, I'm even more impressed guys! :thumbup

Chozo4

Chozo4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Report #1
1. OS: Windows98Se
2. KExVER: v4.0.100
3. Program: RealVNC
4. Desc: WinVNC4 runtime terminates in an unusual way
5. Steps: Have WinVNC4 (RealVnc) startup in Service Mode
6. Worked: Worked fine up until the listed KernelEx version. Also works without KernelEx.

Report #2
1. OS: Windows98Se
2. KExVER: v4.0.100
3. Program: Trillian Astra
4. Desc: Incorrect Directory Path locations referenced and no Sound
5. Steps: Install and Run Trillian Astra, data will be saved in trillians own folder rather than %windir%/application data/trillian. Additionally, sounds will not work at all whatsoever.
6. Worked: Requires KernelEx to function, however, it functioned fine during KEx4 Release 1. Further releases (#2 & final) require a modification to CORE.ini to function correctly. Changing 'KERNEL32.GetVersionExW' under '[WINME.names]' to 'Std' and setting Astra to WINME compatibility mode corrects the issue.

No idea if this is deliberate nonfunctionality or just a sideffect of KernelEx changes in the code. Just bringing it up as it was also related to a previous version. In other news, this version of KernelEx has fixed the issues involving changing avatar and accepting incoming files in Trillian Astra, which is a big step up and fix to once an ever annoying problem previously.

Edited by Chozo4, 24 July 2009 - 08:35 PM.

slhk

slhk

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts
I just cannot believe my eyes ... :ph34r:

- Lingoes runs now (need to copy mfc42u.dll from somewhere)

- SketchUp 7 is usable and can save now. Toolbar is corrupted but functional. Hope this will be fixed in future KernelEx release

Xeno86 & Tihiy, you guys are great! :thumbup

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
I'm using Win98SE and installed KernelEx 4.0 Final with the Recommended setting of enabling all applications. Upon reboot, the Explorer crashed. Should I select not to enable all application or should I disable Explorer from using KernelEx? I didn't encounter such behavior for the previous RC2.

My only way out is to reboot in Safemode and remove 4.0 Final. Please kindly advise, thanks.
OC

sparky4

sparky4

• 32 posts
Xeno86 & Tihiy
Thank you for Making Windows 4.×× [non NT] awesome again! :thumbup
Seriously you guys extended the lifetime and usability of my 1st OS, Windows Me.

VLC 1.0 works on Windows Me and this is too good to be true! :w00t:
These newer programs run more efficiently than their older 9×/Me compatible versions
ex. Firefox 2.0.0.20

Windows Me's technology dates back to Interface Manager (before 1983, Windows 1.0)
basically 1981 and the early 1980s, and it can run the newest and oldest programs for the IBM PC compatible computers.

Years that Windows 4.×× can span
1981 [1st DOS] - 2009

XP cannot do that [DOS GAMES]

This is truly the best thing that ever happened to Windows 4.×× family!!!! :yes:

also
how did you get inkscape to work?
Posted Image
Microsoft Windows ME 4.90.3000
On "COMPY4" as "sparky4"
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz
1536MB RAM

irc://sparky4.net/#yotsubanome is the IRC I host

gg41

gg41

• 10 posts
Hello,

1. Windows Me
2. KernelEx 4.0 Final

Problem:
Installing KernelEx 4.0 Final with the Recommended setting of enabling all applications. Upon reboot, the Explorer and Windows crashed.
KernelEx 4.0 Final does not work with another installation option.

KernelEx 4.0 RC2 works very well.

Thank you in advance for your solutions.
Best regards

Edited by gg41, 25 July 2009 - 10:19 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Donator

Explorer and Windows crashed

Can you specify the error messages?

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

also
how did you get inkscape to work?

Well spotted as I actually can't get it to initialize a GUI but it runs. Latest version that initialize a GUI, albeit you've got to wait a while for it to be there, is version 0.45.1-1.

Latest Gimp runs fully with some crashes and has missing checkboxes in the preferences so not everything is OK.

I haven't spent more time than that with both of those but I have spent a lot of time with GimPhoto which is a very nice fork of Gimp 2.4. It has got only two little problems that also affect Gimp 2.6. The first one is that it is abnormally slow at initilializing and destroying windows. The second is that the default options for brushes is to show the outline of the brush and that it trashes the view when you move the cursor about over the image without actually painting something. Other than that it works beautifully and I have found no fault or bug in any of the functions and tools I have tried so far. I am in the process of dowloading and adding plugins to it right now. Leave me another couple of days and I'll upload an enhanced GimPhoto with all the very good plugins and scripts that aren't already included with it.

Amazing job guys.
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

gg41

gg41

• 10 posts

Explorer and Windows crashed

Can you specify the error messages?

REGSVR32 has caused an error in Kernel32.dll; verify has caused an error in Kernel32.dll; etc....and PDFXChangeViewer and Adobe Reader 7.09 does not work anymore

De@n

De@n

• 27 posts
Nice work, thanks :thumbup

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Hello,

1. Windows Me
2. KernelEx 4.0 Final

Problem:
Installing KernelEx 4.0 Final with the Recommended setting of enabling all applications. Upon reboot, the Explorer and Windows crashed.

Best regards

I'm also experiencing the same problem as you, but I'm using Win98SE.
OC

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Donator

REGSVR32 has caused an error in Kernel32.dll; verify has caused an error in Kernel32.dll; etc

That's non-informative. Please write down the error text (crashing address) otherwise it's no use.

aqcww

aqcww

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Hello,

1. Windows Me
2. KernelEx 4.0 Final

Problem:

Best regards

I'm also experiencing the same problem as you, but I'm using Win98SE.

A DBCS system's problem?
i've not installed it yet :hello:
Posted Image

slhk

slhk

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts

A DBCS system's problem?
i've not installed it yet :hello:

Should not be a DBCS problem. KernelEX 4.0 Final runs fine on both Simplified and Traditional Chinese Win98SE

gg41

gg41

• 10 posts

REGSVR32 has caused an error in Kernel32.dll; verify has caused an error in Kernel32.dll; etc

That's non-informative. Please write down the error text (crashing address) otherwise it's no use.

1. Windows Me
2. KernelEx 4.0 Final

Problem:
1-Installing KernelEx 4.0 Final with the Recommended setting of enabling all applications. Upon reboot, error message :
"Runonce has caused an error in KERNELEX.DLL". The system is blocked and I have to restart in Safe Mode to uninstall KernelEx 4.0 Final

2-Installing KernelEx 4.0 Final with Disable KernelEx extensions. Upon reboot, several error messages :
"Verify has caused an error in KERNELEX.DLL"
"Explorer has caused an error in KERNELEX.DLL"

not start PDFXChangeViewer, error message : "PDFXCVIEW.EXE file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL: SetFilePointerEx"
not start Adobe Reader 7.0.9, error message : "Acrord32 has caused an error in KERNELEX.DLL"

No problem with running KernelEx 4.0 RC2 which works very well

Edited by gg41, 26 July 2009 - 11:13 AM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Donator

Thanks, but it's no use since Me does not show error address :\
oc_dt report is required.

oc_dt

oc_dt

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Thanks, but it's no use since Me does not show error address :\
oc_dt report is required.

I selected enable all application. After reboot, Explorer has performed an illegal operation with details as follows:

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff766b5.
Registers:
EAX=00570034 CS=0187 EIP=bff766b5 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=00000000 SS=018f ESP=00570000 EBP=00570008
ECX=00000000 DS=018f ESI=00570100 FS=251f
EDX=bff76855 ES=018f EDI=823004f4 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
6a 00 68 14 00 2a 00 e8 13 ad ff ff 8b 55 08 8f
Stack dump:
00570034 00570034 0057001c bff766fd 00570034 005701ac 00000000 005701ac bff883ed 00570034 bff79250 00000000 005703dc ffffffff bff76715 00000000

Even as such, there is a message telling me that KernelEx is installed successfully. However, nothing else is functional. I have to uninstall KernelEx in Safemode. I didn't experience such thing in the previous RC2.
OC

Xeno86

Xeno86

KernelEx Creator

• PipPip
  • 250 posts
oc_dt
I suspect that there could be a conflict with some shell extension on your system. Please use this tool with KernelEx 4.0 RC2: Autoruns to create a report (use export feature).

gg41
Try catching the crash with DrWatson tool.
Install with "Disable KernelEx extensions" option, after initial crashes run drwatson.exe tool, run c:\windows\kernelex\verify.exe, drwatson should catch the crash - create a report then.
KernelEx: home board download

gg41

gg41

• 10 posts

[gg41
Try catching the crash with DrWatson tool.
Install with "Disable KernelEx extensions" option, after initial crashes run drwatson.exe tool, run c:\windows\kernelex\verify.exe, drwatson should catch the crash - create a report then.

As you have asked me here is the report of Dr. Watson after the first crash.
I have sent to MP

Thank you for your help.
Best regards

Edited by gg41, 27 July 2009 - 01:22 AM.

RetroOS

RetroOS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Yes, I can confirm that too.

Xeno, Tihiy, I'm even more impressed guys! :thumbup

Roger that! - All good here!
retrofreak n a person who is very enthusiastic about something from the past.
retrology n the study of association with and revival from the past.
life n a series of near misses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN