HDD porblem

ultravy

i instaled windows server 2003 sp2 enterprise,for testing, on my old computer(Celeron 2,4ghz, 768 mb ram) on 4gb hdd quatum fireball!

All works good, but when i add an 80 hdd(seagete Barracuda 7200.7 80011) windows show only 4gb hdd(quantum, 2 partitions)both hdd are IDE

hdd.jpg

how do i solve this problem? :blink:

Edited by ultravy

Uhh, Everest shows as 80GB. What you show (other than Everest and the Device Manager) is the Explorer View of existing partitions (the two on the Quantum).

Go into "Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management" and click on the "Disk Management". You'll probably see that Seagate as "Unallocated Space", meaning no Partitions have been defined, not fomatted, AND no drive letter assigned.

Brand new HDD, right? They don't "pre-allocate/pre-format" for you; that's for you to do in the Disk Manager. It's all there, just not allocated yet... By right-clicking in the Unallocated area (right-hand/lower side of new HDD), you can define partitions of any size (up to capacity), format it/them in FAT32 or NTFS (depending on size), and auto-assign drive letters. Then they show up and are "useable" in Explorer.

Better find some info on Partitions, Disk Management, etc. in Windows Help (press F1 on the Desktop) and read up a little. Then you'll understand...

edit - URP!!! Also noticed you said "Server 2003". If you have partitions already on the Seagate, then you use the Disk Manager to Assign Letters to the partitions. Server doesn't "automatically mount" an added HDD that has pre-existing partitions like non-Server OS's; you have to right click on them and give them a letter.

Edited by submix8c

edit - URP!!! Also noticed you said "Server 2003". If you have partitions already on the Seagate, then you use the Disk Manager to Assign Letters to the partitions. Server doesn't "automatically mount" an added HDD that has pre-existing partitions like non-Server OS's; you have to right click on them and give them a letter.

10x, that was the problem, because i never use M$W Server2003 :w00t::thumbup