Revolutions Pack 9.7

Revolutions Pack 9

Version 9.7.0, released Nov'10.

Revolutions Pack (RP) is an unique program designed to improve Windows 98/Me user experience with:

* Stability and Control. It provides new Ctrl-Alt-Del dialog allowing precise control over system resources.

It includes technologies which are improving system reliability by protecting system resources and providing better resource utilization and cleanup.

* Appearance and Personalization. Revolutions Pack has UberSkin with it - the most powerful free skinning engine built around closed-source OS.

It is able to change almost any GUI element at no cost over usability. You want Windows XP skin looking better than real Windows XP? No problem.

Now, with RP9, you'll also have all-out power over icons. RP9 reintroduces 32-bit icons - with shadows, smoothed edges and rich colors.

Do you care? RP9 comes with fine set of icons which you can choose from - and restyle whole system icon set in one click.

Where to click? In RPConfig - new control tool for personalization. It's the storage for your wallpapers, skins and icons - your style.

* Usability and Effects. New RP version has neat little features like:

ClearType - Microsoft subpixel font smoothing technology which greatly improves reading on LCD screens;

Big buttons for taskbar - greatly improves task switching on big screens;

Menu fading - if your eyes are tired from pop-roll menus;

Hotkeys - for keyboard pundits. Now you can use WIN+UP/DOWN to maximize/minimize windows. And I've just started.

Over all mantras, Stability and Control is the most important for whole RP9.

That's why new Revolutions Pack is completely modular - you don't install what you don't want.

That's why new Revolutions Pack won't touch any system file or registry key - it plays nice.

It was created and polished to play nice with your applications and your system.

screen1g.th.pngscreen2s.th.pngscreen3fjj.th.pngscreen4z.th.png

Note: RP9 contains the great Watercolor Emico: Ergonomic Blue theme, by Gelosea, who kindly granted permission for its redistribution (in Win 9x/ME compatible format) with the RP9 package. Thanks Gelosea, you rock! :thumbup

Edited by dencorso

Installation

Latest version is here: http://tihiy.net/files/RP9.exe

Previous version is here: http://tihiy.net/files/RP9.0.exe

Revolutions Pack 9 is compatible with all system updates. I would recommend Unofficial Service Pack, 98SE2ME and IE6.

Revolutions Pack 9 may require updating system files in order to use all features. Installer will point you to this page. But it is broken.

Download required updates from here: http://tihiy.net/files/RP9Updates.exe

Uninstallation

Revolutions Pack 9 is uninstalled as you expect - from Add/Remove programs, or from installer. You can upgrade or downgrade any version without uninstalling.

Installer will retain the features you have installed and won't force others.

Revolutions Pack 9 is not active in Safe Mode. You can boot up in Safe Mode and uninstall it there if you have any problems.

Edited by Tihiy

UberSkin notes

Skins were moved from \Windows\Resources to \Windows\Resources\Themes. UberSkin stock themes will be removed from there when you are upgrading.

Sub-themes are now combined with sub-schemes. I.e. Vista Standard is now Vista_Standard and is located in \Vista\Skin_Standard.ini.

You may want to have

My other tools

IF you have a question and you believe it's important for you and not everyone, ask me via PM.

Revolutions Pack 7 is dead. You can't upgrade over it. Sorry.

Edited by Tihiy

Awesome! I will try to download and install this weekend. From what I understand above, I don't have to uninstall Uberskin first (but I probably will anyway). And No problem about nVidia, I have an old MGA Millenium card in use.

By the way, does RP9 address transparent desktop icons in 98SE? With Uberskin, I used the slick registry workaround ("TransparentIcons"=DWORD:00000001, in hkey_current_user), but it does not refresh the desktop very well so you will sometimes see several icons with non transparent artifacting. Unless I've been doing it all wrong?!

You did a very good job, the only thing I'm missing is a way to change font sizes within a theme, i.e. if you apply a theme and select a font size, the überskin theme is replaced by the classic theme.

Second thing is a minor issue concerning Clear Type:

If you use "Microsoft Sans Serif" the start button looks like this:

startg.png

So, the word "Start" is cut off (no matter what font size is chosen).

Tihiy, it's amazing!!! Many thanks for your great work!!!

1. Two issues:

- After installation, there are two "Kernel 32 patch fail" upon reboot. Yet almost all RP9 features work. Is there any problem to have the "patch fail"?

- The new Ctrl-Alt-Del dialog does not work, but it also did not work when I used Uberskin

My config is Win98SE, simplified Chinese version. KernelEx 0.3.6 installed

2. GDI resource salvation: Finally it is here! Hope it worth the long wait! I need some time to see how good it is. Could you share your own test result?

Thank you

Nice, all Tihiy's Win98 goodies in one download! :thumbup

I installed this on top of my already manually tweaked system-icons. Not all are changed correctly when switching to RP9 Vista icons. Some are left alone, like my drive-icons which is fine because I want to keep those, but my configuration-screen and printerfolder where wrong and needed correction. Documents on the desktop is ok, but not in the menu. All this could probably be prevented by restoring all icons to default before installing RP9.

My system font is Tahoma, it was already and I set it in RP9, and I see some truncation in my startmenu.

The main feature (I already had the other things) of this RP9 are the improved standard buttons in the explorer tool-bar. But when you hover over those with your mouse you will see the old one's again. A little bit disappointing :)

simplified Chinese version
Yeah, i tested and found those patch faults. I'll fix them, although more fixes are required for DBCS versions.
You did a very good job, the only thing I'm missing is a way to change font sizes within a theme, i.e. if you apply a theme and select a font size, the überskin theme is replaced by the classic theme.
As usual, you have to save theme under same name or name_variation.
But when you hover over those with your mouse you will see the old one's again. A little bit disappointing
Hold Explorer window open when you're changing icon theme.

All: a bug was discovered within GDI Salvation. If you experience leakage, retain from RP9 so far :wacko:

I'll prepare a fix as well as proper tour around RP9 features. Translators are also welcome.

Thanks for feedback.

But when you hover over those with your mouse you will see the old one's again. A little bit disappointing
Hold Explorer window open when you're changing icon theme.

Thx, but after a reboot the problem is back.

All: a bug was discovered within GDI Salvation.

Mmmm, I can't shutdown, get a bluescreen. After pressing a key the videocard (ATI, DVI) goes wacko and shows black screen with white dots. Restarting and restart to dos is ok. Is this related? (Uninstalling RP9 fixes this, uninstalling KernelEx 4 does not.)

I installed RP9 on 98se2me 2GiB NVIDIA Fx520 128Mb(driver 81.98).

All programms works well and nice!

Menu shutdown and restart works normal with RP9.

Menu restart in MS_DOS don'work.Without RP9 or with uberskin restart in MS-DOS works normal.

Many thanks for your RP9!

Well...i've installed RP9 on VM...and it's fabulous!! Some issue i have...with the large icon support, if i enable it...all the icons in the start menu are large and sliced and the text it's overlaping.

Thank you!

Edited by Xstyle