Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Revolutions Pack 9.7

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
759 replies to this topic

vicokoby

vicokoby
  • 3 posts
I was using RP in my Windows 98SE in Spanish language, when I apply the sets of icons some icons do not change, for example My computer, My documents, and I believe that some others, is this for that the language of my Windows 98SE is the Spanish?, In any case I want to help you to translate the program, and if it is possible to correct the problems that I you mention.

Regards,

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dandee

Dandee

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts

when I apply the sets of icons some icons do not change

Can you show us a screen shot of your explorer?
Anyway, take a look at the following key, using regedit.exe:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

There should be entries like "{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}".
If they have "DefaultIcon" subkeys, these should be removed, because
they override the system defaults.
Delete the "DefaultIcon" subkeys only! Otherwise your Desktop will be empty.

Edited by Dandee, 20 March 2011 - 01:16 PM.

animalid

animalid
  • 3 posts
I just installed version 9.7.2 (for first time) and have a strange problem.
I use Sherpya mplayer SVN-r32735-4.2.5 for playback and since i instaled RP,
mplayer keeps creating USERPROFILE_FONTCONFIG_CACHE in current directory.
I did have this problem with Kovensky mplayer, but no problem with Sherpya builds till i istalled RP.
Uninstalling RP didn't help.

I use 98SE with KernelEx 4.5 RC1.

Found a workaround:

there is a file fonts.conf in mplayer/fonts/ directory.
if you look inside it, you'll find USERPROFILE_FONTCONFIG_CACHE - just have to replace it with
any folder you wish to store font cache in f.e. ~/.fontconfig or c:\windows\temp

But i still have no idea what installation of RP changed in my settings that mplayer started to create USERPROFILE_FONTCONFIG_CACHE in every dir i played files with it.

Edited by animalid, 31 March 2011 - 03:10 AM.

Mathwiz

Mathwiz

• 41 posts
Just though I'd let you know that RP 9.7 works much better with a vertical taskbar (dragged to the left or right vs. the usual bottom or top) than 9.6. The latter left a couple of narrow gaps on either side that tended to accumulate random crud when the taskbar was locked. 9.7 fixed this.

Most themes don't look good with a vertical taskbar, but a few do. BlackMesa is my favorite.

Edit: I may have spoken too soon. I rebooted (to install KernelEx 4.5 final) and the narrow gaps came back. They seem to be invisible/transparent borders for the taskbar (even though it's locked). But as soon as I resized the taskbar by dragging one of the invisible borders, they both went away.

OK, not perfect, but I can live with it.

Edited by Mathwiz, 01 April 2011 - 08:46 PM.

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
I accidentally discovered an unintended "feature"/glitch. What does it do? It makes the start menu transparent. Some of you may have also encountered this as you use RP9.

How to reproduce this:
1. You need to have "use fade effects" selected under "menu animations" in RPConfig.
2. Right click anywhere on the desktop.
3. Left click on the start menu. It may take several tries before it happens. Now your start menu is transparent (temporarily until you move your mouse over it).

Doing this multiple times will yield varying degrees of opacity. Apparently, RP9 does not complete the fade in animation and stopped midway. This isn't true transparency but it's close enough. Currently, this is not very practical as it is hard to read with the icons in the background. But it would be interesting if this glitch can be harnessed as a possible feature for a future version of RP.

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
Honestly, I think this is a glitch and it is annoying.

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
The glitch in its current form is not really usable. It would need some additional work, and blurring of the underlying background, that is if this feature/glitch will even be considered at all.

I noticed that this can also be done by right clicking on the title bar of a window (either restored or maximized state) and then left clicking the start button, but this takes more tries before it happens.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,785 posts

Donator

Tihiy, would you please consider looking into LDT garbage collecting, or some form of LDT salvation, please? :angel
I've been looking into things like this too often for confort, of late:

Well red circles are frustrating but that's how it is.
Windows has LDT cleanup (not really effective though) which is triggered when system is out of segments starting a program. RP calls that cleanup when LDT is lower than 20%.

Yesterday, it dawned on me I might be using too big values for USERMaxHeapSize and GDIMaxHeapSize. So I set both to 4096 and the red is gone. Yay! :D

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
Back after a two year leave from the Internet. Looking at my desktop, the 32bit icons show a black alpha channel. Can't recall anyone having reported this for the reason I suspect (in my case): long time ago I changed shell icon size from 32px to 24px and most likely the GDI function(s) that resize the 32bit icons don't play nice with the alpha channel.
Now, I don't care much about this issue since I'm mostly working in maximized state with whatever application needed so the desktop is way behind all the time, but just for the sake of it: can it be worked around by using oher GDI functions (or GDIplus if not too cumbersome)?

System specs (if needed): P III 667MHz, 512 MB SDRAM, video nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 AGP8x (running in 2x mode due to chipset limitation), video driver 45.32 (latest available from manufacturer MSI, since recent ones disable AGP texture acceleration in DirectX).
OS: 98SE heavily upgraded, RP 9.7.2, KernelEx 4.5.1 installed minutes ago (former version 4.5 RC5).

Glad to be back here among friends, but sad to be forced to use XP for Internet due to lack of drivers for the GPRS modem. *sigh*

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,785 posts

Donator

GPRS modems are a PITA!
Welcome back, Drugwash! :hello:
You've been missed! :yes:

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
@ Tihiy:
Apologies if I've raised this issue before; can't remember and search doesn't help. :(
One of my applications, designed to load and display VersionInfo and icons stored in exe, dll, ocx and other similar files, crashes the current thread when enumerating the dlls in the System folder. Particularly, it crashes on uberskin.dll and comctlv8.dll.
Fortunately, it's a separate thread so the application continues enumerating the rest of the files, but the crashes are somewhat disturbing, more so for a user unfamiliar with the application, who might think of it as being buggy.
Of all the libraries in the System folder, only those two exhibit that behavior, therefore I consider this as being the fault of RP.

The application is using LoadLibrary() with the flag LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE.
Same thing happens in Total Commander while launching the Lister on the files with the FileInfo plug-in installed, which essentially does the same thing (amongst others).

The application is called VersionInfo Lister and can be found on my AHK homepage (see sig below). Both executable and source code are available for download.

If that would be too hard or impossible to fix, at least I'd like to know it so I could add a warning/disclaimer for the user, in my application. Thank you.

NothingMuchHereToSay

NothingMuchHereToSay

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to figure out how exactly skins work, because I'd like to try and make a RP for Windows 95. Granted, I have no skills as a programmer, but a project like that would be a start and with what I've read I have some, very little, knowledge on code.

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
I have found a workaround to the problem with Miranda IM not showing icons with RP which is using a different set of icons for Miranda.

The ones I chose to use are available in here : http://addons.mirand...viewfile&id=755

Installation was not so straightforward but it fixes the missing icons problem very nicely :D
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

I was wondering if there was a way to figure out how exactly skins work, because I'd like to try and make a RP for Windows 95.

I recall that some versions of UberSkin (part of the RP that was developed first separately) worked on Windows 95 with IE 5.5 installed. At least somebody posted a screenshot on this forum.

NothingMuchHereToSay

NothingMuchHereToSay

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
So... how exactly does a skin work? Does it have to deal with the System.ini file since it has to load the proper icons and images or is it the shell32.dll library?

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

So... how exactly does a skin work?

Do you mean the UberSkin themes [skins] format documentation?

NothingMuchHereToSay

NothingMuchHereToSay

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
It's hard for me to explain, but I'll try..

When you apply the uberskin, how is it able to modify the icons and everything without actually touching the system files? How do the files included with the uberskin modify the entire windows GUI without changing the system files? Is there like a special type of command or script that changes the directory of the icons to where the uberskin files are?

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
Do some reading on hooking window/system messages, subclassing, injecting a dll and you might get a vague idea. :)

I hope Tihiy is safe and sound... We need his genial "magic".

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Tihiy,

there's a bug with Revolutions Pack 9.7.2:
I use several icons made with a bmp file, I rename with 'ico' extension.

Normally, the background become transparent when it is displayed.

If 'Big icons' is ticked in RPConfig, it is fine.Attached File  Big_icons-RPConfig.png   1.8KB   4 downloads
But when I untick it, the background for all these icons appears!Attached File  Small_icons-RPConfig.png   1.48KB   3 downloads

Is there any workaround?? :(

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Is there any workaround?? :(

Of course, convert your false icons to real ones. ;)

Greenfish Icon Editor will do the job nicely. B)

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
There are many picture editor/conversion applications out there: IcoFX, Imagine, etc. But beyond that, you have to understand that file extension does not define the file type, which is structurally different from type to type. You cannot change a file's extension and expect it to perform differently - unless a poorly written software only takes into account file extension and does not check its internal signature. Which is not the case with Tihiy's state of the art Revolutions Pack. ;)

EDIT
And to dig a bit deeper into the problem at hand: a true icon file can contain multiple images with different sizes and color depth. Depending on contents, the operating system chooses the best image and displays it. In the process, when a suitable size is not found, the OS may have to resize the nearest matching image and as such, it may induce distortion, such as losing the alpha channel (an issue I've reported above recently) or changing background color.
Therefore, when creating an icon, make sure you create multiple sized and color depth images within the same icon. Usually 8bit + 32bit with sizes of 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48px, for a 9x system. Vista/7+ can use 256x256px PNG icons, but that is not a subject to discuss in a 9x topic.

Edited by Drugwash, 15 November 2011 - 01:13 PM.

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Of course, convert your false icons to real ones. ;)

Yes I know :w00t: and I am also using Greenfish Icon Editor Pro for that.
But I have so much of these bmp-icons...

You cannot change a file's extension and expect it to perform differently

This 'feature' is built-in with Windows, you may even display a thumbnail of your bmp instead of the regular bitmap icon with a registry setting.

But the point here, is that it is behaving perfectly with 'Big icons' checked, and suddenly failing when it's unchecked.
I don't get this glitch with a true icon including only one size. :whistle:

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
How much do you know about Windows GDI? If that MSDN wouldn't be blocked here (for an unknown reason)*, I'd give you a few links to LoadImage(), LoadIcon() (deprecated) and a few ImageList_*() functions so you could see what the OS is dealing with. Especially with LoadImage(), it requires the image type to be specified in the function call, otherwise it fails. Depending on the image load routines, the resizing operation may alter the original image as I already said above.
The "feature" you're talking about does nothing else than take a bitmap, create an icon that contains default system size images (16x16 and 32x32) and add it to the icon cache. Which does involve resizing.

If you wanna see or save icons from exe/dll/ocx/etc., try VersionInfo Lister from the link in my signature. If only to prove I know a few things and not just copy/paste info off Google...

EDIT:
* It turned out that particular MSDN link (LoadImage function) would stall in K-Meleon, but Firefox 9.0 beta opened it in a few seconds, on the same 98SE machine. This is getting very, very weird!

EDIT2:
Nevermind, it was just one of this browser's fluke; after closing and restarting K-Meleon, it opened the MSDN link without problems. Guess me and this system are getting old at the pretty same rate. *sigh*
:(

Edited by Drugwash, 15 November 2011 - 08:53 PM.

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
You're right Drugwash, but it is a regression in relation to Windows 98 'plain vanilla'.
So, my only question was to Tihiy, if he is able to fix it. ;)

EDIT: I tried your link.
It opens easily here in Opera 11, and Maxthon with IE6.

Edited by CharlesF, 16 November 2011 - 01:23 PM.

sparky4

sparky4

• 32 posts
I am reporting a bug on the skinning feature of the more recent revolution pack 9 on Windows me.

my image shows the bug in action.....

p.s. Revolution pack 9.7 and KernelEx 4.5.2 are amazing!

keep it up! ^^ Tihiy!

Attached Files

• Attached File  bug.PNG   82.44KB   50 downloads

Edited by sparky4, 08 December 2011 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image
Microsoft Windows ME 4.90.3000
On "COMPY4" as "sparky4"
IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® 4 CPU 3.20GHz
1536MB RAM

irc://sparky4.net/#yotsubanome is the IRC I host

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN