Need help fast!

Rodalys

When I Click on "my computer" instead of showing my drives windows starts a search showing the flashlight icon for about 7-10 minutes!

I don't want to to a clean install but when I tried to repaired Windows from the Setup Installation disk it said it had done some "maintenance" on drive C: and to restart to continue setup. Problem was when I restarted it did NOT continue setup so I did it again this time booting from CD AGAIN and the whole process started (the maintenance thing) I'm afraid somethings terible wrong and I'm sure my PC is CLEAN as I'm very Paranoid and use Norton IS 2007 about 3-4 times a day!

Does anyone know how to stop this stupid searching everytime I try to open "My Computer"??

Thanks ... I'm getting pretty desperate here!

If you open the C: drive and it takes a long time to enumerate the files in there, it would suggest there are a lot of files in there.

Use command line and run a "dir" command on the root of C: and see how many files it returns.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to THE forums! :hello: Get rid of your Norton using SymNRT then get either a free antivirus or a better paid one. Norton products are resource hungry and slow down the machines they are installed onto.

Thank you for answering at least about Norton, I have used others lately before Norton I was using the Comodo product which was working fine but decided to give the new NIS 2007 a chance and to be honest haven't found it to hog my resources (or at least I haven't noticed!)

Any advice on Comodo that you know about? Is it Great or should I look somewhere else?

BTW any ideas on how to solve my Real problem? (The ... OS searching showing the flashlight when I click on "My Computer"?

This IS the Real Problem and it's driving me nuts!

Again thank you for your response. :)

If you open the C: drive and it takes a long time to enumerate the files in there, it would suggest there are a lot of files in there.

Use command line and run a "dir" command on the root of C: and see how many files it returns.

Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have 2 HD Drives C: & D:

C: which has only very few Dir & Files and D: which has most of what I want to safeguard!

I've had to reinstall my OS many times in the past so I learned and now I use D: for most of my Data and also for some backups.

I did as you suggested and in my C: drive which, has a total capacity of 320 GB, it found 12 Directories and 301,062,463,488 bytes Free.

Also this just started happening about 4 days ago so I have no clue why it's doing it.

Again I appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks