[Release] Adobe Reader 9.1 Corporate/Lite

Guest XhmikosR

XhmikosR: I'd greatly thank you for the updated tutorial (and the create pdf using acrobat.com registry key).

rt3d.dll I tried opening a 3d PDF with JUST this file, and it doesn't work. You also need the .x3d files. Hands up those who say rt3d.dll is the only file needed for 3d pdf viewing.

Guest XhmikosR
XhmikosR: I'd greatly thank you for the updated tutorial (and the create pdf using acrobat.com registry key).

rt3d.dll I tried opening a 3d PDF with JUST this file, and it doesn't work. You also need the .x3d files. Hands up those who say rt3d.dll is the only file needed for 3d pdf viewing.

I've actually haven't updated yet. I'll wait until it is tested be a lot of people and then I'll update the tutorial.

I removed rt3d.dll since I don't see any reason to include it.

XhmikosR, you can further customize the MSI using Adobe's own 'Adobe Customization Wizard 9'. With the tool, you can remove all Acrobat.com integration. Good work on your release.

Also, I noticed your SFX module is 400kb. If you use the original installers icon (i've attached it), it will be about 130kb. I also advise you add GUIFlags=8 to your config file, as it gives the extract dialog nice shell themes

I've done a quick comparison between Shark007's v9.0 (Sep'08) vs XhmikosR's v9.1 (Mar'09) ...

files differences aside, i focused on the AcroRead.msi itself.

Shark007: 1.68 MB (1,763,840 bytes)

XhmikosR: 3.75 MB (3,936,256 bytes)

this is interesting because Shark007 may have done much more on the MSI itself.

maybe v9.1 Lite can still be reduced further? :D

The increase in size is because the program icons have been put inside the MSI :)

ar9installer.ico

Edited by TronBoRG

I've done a quick comparison between Shark007's v9.0 (Sep'08) vs XhmikosR's v9.1 (Mar'09) ...

files differences aside, i focused on the AcroRead.msi itself.

Shark007: 1.68 MB (1,763,840 bytes)

XhmikosR: 3.75 MB (3,936,256 bytes)

this is interesting because Shark007 may have done much more on the MSI itself.

maybe v9.1 Lite can still be reduced further? :D

The increase in size is because the program icons have been put inside the MSI :)

that's interesting ... is it possible to do a lipo to carve out the icons off MSI itself? :blushing:

:lol: I tested your theory by creating a 7z archive of the 9.0 MSI & Icons then one of the 9.1 MSI, and the file sizes are 606kb & 555kb respectively... so its smaller with the icons in the MSI (but i'm discounting any other changes in the MSI other than the icons). If you manage to lipo them out, let me know, but I won't bother trying - too much effort :)

Guest XhmikosR
XhmikosR, you can further customize the MSI using Adobe's own 'Adobe Customization Wizard 9'. With the tool, you can remove all Acrobat.com integration. Good work on your release.

Also, I noticed your SFX module is 400kb. If you use the original installers icon (i've attached it), it will be about 130kb. I also advise you add GUIFlags=8 to your config file, as it gives the extract dialog nice shell themes

I'll take a look at the Customization Wizard 9 tomorrow. I changed the GUIFlags=8 and the installer icon in v.18.

XhmikosR, I use a batch file to remove older versions of Adobe Reader with my version (it just works better for our corporate installs):

http://gravito.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.0

You can download the above and try that. I used Sharky's method as he listed on his page and used a 7zip installation package so that anyone can just right-click and extract to folder to get the install.cmd and see it, but otherwise here's the code I've been using:

@echo off & cls
Rem List all Installation subkeys from uninstall key.
echo Searching Registry for Adobe Reader Installs
for /f %%I in ('reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall') do echo %%I | find "{" > nul && call :All-Installations %%I
echo Search Complete..
echo Installing Adobe Reader 9.1 Lite R1..
msiexec /I AcroRead.msi /Passive /NoRestart
reg import adobereader.reg
echo Install Complete..
goto :EOF
:All-Installations
Rem Filter out all but the Adobe Installations
for /f "tokens=2*" %%T in ('reg query %1 /v Publisher 2^> nul') do echo %%U | find "Adobe" > nul && call :Adobe-Installations %1
:Adobe-Installations
Rem Filter out all but the Adobe-Reader Installations. Note the tilda + n, which drops all the subkeys from the path
for /f "tokens=2*" %%T in ('reg query %1 /v DisplayName 2^> nul') do echo . Uninstalling - %%U: | find "Reader" && call :Adobe-Reader-Installs %~n1
:Adobe-Reader-Installs
Rem Run Uninstaller for the installation
MsiExec.exe /x%1 /qb
echo . Uninstall Complete, Resuming Search..
:EOF

The registry file contains:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Downtown]
"bDontShowAtLaunch"=dword:00000001
"bGoOnline"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Downtown]
"bDontShowAtLaunch"=dword:00000001
"bGoOnline"=dword:00000000

I think you've certainly done a better job and probably have time to do more, but what I'm using works for our network and makes sure the old versions get removed. Would you be able to remove old versions with yours so that those of us looking to install this on 2000+ PCs with SMS or SCCM had an option as well?

Guest XhmikosR

@Yorn: I'll take a look at it, although personally I don't have many interest on this feature. That registry file you are using is included in the Lite installer (read the tutorial in the first post).

@all: Does anyone use Form filling? If removed there is a significant gain in the size of the installer (aprox. 3MB). Also, is stamps (in Annotations folder) needed? I don't use none of the previous stuff I mentioned, but I want to hear other people's opinion on this, before removing them.

EDIT:

@Yorn: Unfortunately, I don't like the end user to see a cmd window. So if I want to do what you described above, I have to do it via InstallShield. Anyway, I'm sorry but I won't do it, but someone else might want to do it. It's just a couple of clicks to create a new SFX exe with your install.cmd in it.

Edited by XhmikosR

Does anyone use Form filling?

IMO form filling is a priorty, it should stay.

EDIT1: in todays world of terabyte drives etc etc, size does not matter so much.

The Lite'ening of this product has more to do with RogerDB's sentiments posted HERE.

There are few people with actual concerns of hdd space.

MANY people are concerned about background processes running without any way of stopping them.

Please keep this in mind when trying to make the product as small (in bytes) as possible.

EDIT2: I have read the comments on the internet by small minds comparing 20 MB to 25 MB etc etc

Ignore these people. This Lite product isnt for them. They have no idea whats running in the background, and never will. Those with real knowledge seek this product for the reasons posted above in EDIT1

shark

Edited by Shark007

Does anyone use Form filling?

IMO form filling is a priorty, it should stay.

EDIT1: in todays world of terabyte drives etc etc, size does not matter so much.

The Lite'ening of this product has more to do with RogerDB's sentiments posted HERE.

There are few people with actual concerns of hdd space.

MANY people are concerned about background processes running without any way of stopping them.

Please keep this in mind when trying to make the product as small (in bytes) as possible.

EDIT2: I have read the comments on the internet by small minds comparing 20 MB to 25 MB etc etc

Ignore these people. This Lite product isnt for them. They have no idea whats running in the background, and never will. Those with real knowledge seek this product for the reasons posted above in EDIT1

shark

Seconded, I think it's a must.

Guest XhmikosR

That's why I wanted to know what other people think about it first.:) So I'll leave form filling as it is. How about stamps?

Free advice: don't bother in saving 5 mbs of disk space. Profile what is taking most time to load adobe reader, and if its something that can be noticed, go for it. But Lite, as it is now, is perfectly fine and probably solves most user's needs (Almost complete PDF reader that loads fast and is not bloatware).