$WIN_NT$.~BT can be omitted

Getting hint from http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130689 I successfully deleted $WIN_NT$.~BT.

USB_MULTIBOOT_10 should be upgraded.

Rename $WIN_NT$.~BT (sorry it is my big mistake, it should be $WIN_NT$.~LS) to XPLS

Move migrate.inf and winnt.sif to XPLS.

Revise setupldr.bin replace $WIN_NT$.~BT to XPLS\I386.

Revise setupdd.sys replace $WIN_NT$.~BT to XPLS\I386 and $.W.I.N._.N.T.$...~.L.S. to X.P.L.S add 0 to aditional hex values.

that is all.

==

Still I am thinking of the mechanism of installation XP of this topic http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130689.

I am sure of there is a thin layer of paper to broke that install xp from usb is just like the way CD does. Then migrate.inf, ren_folder.cmd and undoren.cmd all call be omitted. The processing usb installation period will become very very easy.

==

The wrong path notice from the method of above topic, I am still studying, hope to find out the truth soon.

Edited by victor888

Very interesting. :)

This should mean that we could (instead of using \XPLS\I386) using directly \I386, and thus just by changing two files be able to copy the \I386 folder from Cd, right? :unsure:

The migrate.inf, as far as I can say, will be needed anyway (or it must be replaced with "something else"), it's the only way to prevent the USB stick (or Hard Disk) from becoming "C:\" in the install.

I am not sure to have understood your report on the linked thread.

Could you try expanding on it?

jaclaz

This should mean that we could (instead of using \XPLS\I386) using directly \I386, and thus just by changing two files be able to copy the \I386 folder from Cd, right?

Not from Cd, it is just one I386 folder on the root of USB disk. But I don't know how to do revise that two files.

The migrate.inf, as far as I can say, will be needed anyway (or it must be replaced with "something else"), it's the only way to prevent the USB stick (or Hard Disk) from becoming "C:\" in the install.

I can not understand why you say that. Can you explanit it? I know rdummy.sys prevent the USB HDD from being taken as C drive.

I am not sure to have understood your report on the linked thread.

ilko_t give me good explanation.

We will go on this project.

Not from Cd, it is just one I386 folder on the root of USB disk. But I don't know how to do revise that two files.

Sorry I did not explain myself, or possibly haven't understood fully your report.

If I get it right, this:

Rename $WIN_NT$.~BT to XPLS

Revise setupdd.sys replace $WIN_NT$.~BT to XPLS\I386 and $.W.I.N._.N.T.$...~.L.S. to X.P.L.S add 0 to aditional hex values.

This results in a directory XPLS containing the previous contents of the $WIN_NT$.~BT one plus the two files migrate.inf and winnt.sif.

Than the contents of $WIN_NT$.~LS are moved to \XPLS ( or \XPLS\I386)? :unsure:

Can you simply attach a DIR /S of your modified stick, so that I can fully understand the directory structure and which files are where? :yes:

I was presuming that your tests are made with the (right or wrong ;)) idea of putting the whole structure under a single directory (\XPLS) as to not "clutter" the ROOT of the stick/HD partition.

What I am trying to understand is if we can somehow (through a batch for example) create a single directory (like \XPLS) instead of two (\XPLS and \XPLS\I386) and whether we can copy files to it/them directly from the \I386 directory of source CD.

Or am I alltogether missing the point? :unsure:

I can not understand why you say that. Can you explanit it? I know rdummy.sys prevent the USB HDD from being taken as C drive.

Not really.

rdummy.sys is to make a HD seen as "Removable" as opposed to "Fixed" once the GUI is up and running.

During initial text mode part of setup, first active partition on first hard disk (read booted USB device) will get C:\ unless a migrate.inf (or some other unknown trick) is used, this will happen long before rdummy.sys gets "into play".

jaclaz

Very sorry for my mistake.

It is $WIN_NT$.~LS renamed to XPLS not $WIN_NT$.~BT, this folder is needless, because all files are identical in I386 folder.

My usb stick directory:

grldr

xpl~1 (abnormal directory)

I386

setupldr.bin (hex revised first found ntdetect.com to nd.com, $win_nt$.~bt to xpl~1\i386, the aditional "bt" add hex value 0, txtsetup.sif to xpl~1\ts.sif)

setupdd.sy_ ($win_nt$.~bt to xpl~1\i386, $.w.i.n._.n.t.$...~.l.s. to x.p.l.~.1.\.i.3.8.6. aditional ls add hex 0)

migrate.inf

winnt.sif

nd.com (renamed from ntdetec.tcom)

me (renamed from menu.lst)

bi (renamed from boot.ini)

ntldr (use grldr to load)

ts.sif (renamed fromtxtsetup.sif)

grldr (hex revised menu.lst to me)

Edited by victor888

Getting hint from http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130689 I successfully deleted $WIN_NT$.~BT.

USB_MULTIBOOT_10 should be upgraded.

A note:

solution use winnt.sif. SetupSourceDevice = \device\harddisk0\partition1

Yes, that's a fine solution at given hardware.

Contrary BIOS may map USB device to another harddisk:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=840804

SetupSourceDrive =device\harddisk1\partition1

Classic folder pair $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS should work at more machines.

How to create a SetupSourceDevice universal solution?

Can we use grub4dos map?

Can we use grub4dos txtsetup.sif editing?

Use two different txtsetup.si?

Edited by cdob

I am starting to maybe understand. :)

For the "casual" onlooker, this thread needs to be read together with this one too:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130828&hl=

Still I have quite a few questions:

• What is the reason of the "abnormal" directory name?

I mean, if you make a "normal" directory named "XPINSTALL" won't it be accessed by it's short name XP~1?

• Would this work with any filesystem or only on FAT?

• Can't we use a "fixed 4 character" and "normal" directory?

• I mean $WIN_NT$.~BT is 12 characters, why cannot we have (say) 1234\56789AB or 1\23456789AB or whatever "in the middle"?

• As well, once we have decided that we "need" 4 characters for the "base" directory name, can we, as txtsetup.sif is 12 characters as well, 1234\txsetup (with no extension?) or is the .sif extension needed? :unsure:

Same for ntdetect.com that could become 1234\ntdtect

Same for bootfont.bin that could become 1234\bootfnt

Same for boot.ini that could become 1234\ini

• What is the reason to change the name of menu.lst to "me"?

It is not invoked by any of the NT files....

• The above said, why do we need the "further" \I386?

I mean, can we have INSTEAD of these:

setupldr.bin (hex revised first found ntdetect.com to ntdtect, $win_nt$.~bt to xp~1, the additional "nt$.~btbt" add hex value 0, txtsetup.sif to xpl1\ts.sif)

setupdd.sy_ ($win_nt$.~bt to xpl~1\i386, $.w.i.n._.n.t.$...~.l.s. to x.p.l.~.1.\.i.3.8.6. aditional ls add hex 0)

these:

setupldr.bin (hex revised first found ntdetect.com to nd.com, $win_nt$.~bt to xpl~1\i386, the aditional "bt" add hex value 0, txtsetup.sif to xp~1\txsetup)

setupdd.sy_ ($win_nt$.~bt to xp~1, $.w.i.n._.n.t.$...~.l.s. to x.p.~.1. additional characters add hex 0)

I hope to have not flooded you too much with all these questions :unsure:, just trying to understand how to stretch to the maximum extents the "limits" of this renaming solution....:)

jaclaz

Sorry for my poor English and unclear meaning.

Abnormal direcory is just for myself use for the sake of safe and a clean root. This kind of name can not be opened by double click. Abnormal name has no relation to file system.

For installing XP from usb, any directory name is ok as long as it works.

==

Till now, installing xp from usb by hard disk method (msdoinitiated=1), the i386 directory has to be in another directory whether it is $WIN_NT$.~LS or short/long names.

Install xp from usb by the way aviv00 provided, only i386 direcotry left on root directory. I think this name must be 4 charcters.

==

Nothing to suspect, I have made such flash disk without $WIN_NT$.~BT folder because all the boot files are all in $WIN_NT$.~LS\I386. I just revised setupldr.bin and setupdd.sys.

==

So much.

I successfully deleted $WIN_NT$.~BT.

Rename $WIN_NT$.~BT (sorry it is my big mistake, it should be $WIN_NT$.~LS) to XPLS

I have tested your original idea of omitting $WIN_NT$.~BT and using a single folder named XPLS instead of $WIN_NT$.~LS folder.

The idea is useful and in this way I could succesfully Install XP from USB-stick.

But the advantage in doing it this way is rather limited, and the renaming does NOT solve any problem.

The XPLS folder was Deleted by XP Setup, so XPLS must be treated in the same way as the original $WIN_NT$.~LS folder, e.g. Renaming at T-9 and Undoing Renaming at GuiRunOnce.

A disadvantage of your proposal is that foldername e.g. XPLS is hardcoded in files setupldr.bin and setupdd.sys

which makes it not very flexible in use.

migrate.inf and winnt.sif must be in XPLS\I386 folder and not in root of XPLS folder (typo error ?)

Changing setupldr.bin and setupdd.sys is easier if number of chars equal to 12 of $WIN_NT$.~BT

This is due to the fact there is sometimes a trailing backslash connected to $WIN_NT$.~BT

So you might use XPCD_01 folder instead of $WIN_NT$.~LS and replace $WIN_NT$.~BT by XPCD_01\I386

so that the number of chars remains equal to 12

I am sure of there is a thin layer of paper to broke that install xp from usb is just like the way CD does.

Install of XP from USB-stick which can make use of folder on USB-stick with the Unchanged Content of XP Setup CD does Exist already.

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5306

In this way you can simply Select your XP Setup folder on USB-stick at Run Time without the need to change, hardcode or rename anything.

NOT booting from USB-stick is a big advantage, No change of BIOS Setting is needed.

Booting all the time from the Drive on which you plan to Install XP assures that the XP BootFiles

are produced by XP Setup on the Install Drive and NOT on e.g. another Harddisk.

Edited by wimb

Install of XP from USB-stick which can make use of folder on USB-stick with the Unchanged Content of XP Setup CD does Exist already.

Sure, as well as the old WINNT.EXE from DOS, but what would be the fun if we don't look and hopefully find new ways? :unsure:

;)

jaclaz

Sure, as well as the old WINNT.EXE from DOS, but what would be the fun if we don't look and hopefully find new ways? :unsure:

That's very true, so we keep on looking for NEW ways for Install of XP from USB.

But I think the present approach of victor888 can be used,

but it does not give the desired improvement (yet ...).

And I thought it would be useful to make him aware of the advantage of First Booting with LiveXP BootSDI.img file loaded from Harddisk into RAMDISK.

Edited by wimb

Just for fun :D , and for future memory :unsure:.

The \ (backslash) trick works nicely in 7-zip filemanager too.

Now a nice one ;) (directory originally named fd - as acronym for fake directory):

C:\testdirtilde>dir
Il volume nell'unità C non ha etichetta.
Numero di serie del volume: C08C-CFD9

Directory di C:\testdirtilde

16/03/2009 16.25 <DIR> .
16/03/2009 16.25 <DIR> ..
16/03/2009 15.59 <DIR> fd
0 File 0 byte
3 Directory 290.000.093.184 byte disponibili

C:\testdirtilde>dir /x

16/03/2009 16.25 <DIR> .
16/03/2009 16.25 <DIR> ..
16/03/2009 15.59 <DIR> fd
0 File 0 byte
3 Directory 290.000.093.184 byte disponibili

In 7-zip rename fd to ALT+0160..\ (meaning keep pressed ALT key, tap 0160 on numeric keyboard, than a DOT, than another DOT than a BACKSLASH):

16/03/2009 16.30 <DIR> .
16/03/2009 16.30 <DIR> ..
16/03/2009 15.59 <DIR>  ..
0 File 0 byte
3 Directory 290.000.027.648 byte disponibili

16/03/2009 16.30 <DIR> .
16/03/2009 16.30 <DIR> ..
16/03/2009 15.59 <DIR> 71E7~1  ..
0 File 0 byte
3 Directory 290.000.027.648 byte disponibili

C:\testdirtilde>cd 71e7~1

C:\testdirtilde\71E7~1>

Folder is "invalid" in explorer and practically inaccessible from command line too, unless you use "the dir /x name".

Works allright in 7-zip, though it is "strange" to see two seemingly "double dot " named directories....

You can do the same with SPACE DOT DOT BACKSLASH, the name will be 71E3~1

And now the nice part:

After having renamed a directory to SPACE DOT DOT BACKSLASH, make another one, and rename it to ALT+160 DOT DOT BACKSLASH (same as before), it should get 71E7~1 as before, right? :unsure:

WRONG! :whistle:

This one will get just one DOT:

16/03/2009 16.46 <DIR> .
16/03/2009 16.46 <DIR> ..
16/03/2009 15.59 <DIR> ..
16/03/2009 16.46 <DIR>  .
0 File 0 byte
4 Directory 289.999.880.192 byte disponibili

16/03/2009 16.46 <DIR> .
16/03/2009 16.46 <DIR> ..
16/03/2009 15.59 <DIR> 71E3~1 ..
16/03/2009 16.46 <DIR> E20A~1  .
0 File 0 byte
4 Directory 289.999.880.192 byte disponibili

and E20A~1 :w00t:

Pretty much unuseful..... but maybe can come handy for something....

B)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@wimb

Forget to say, undoren.com ren_fold.cmd and binifix4.cmd, migrate.inf files are needed this way.

==

For installing xp by PE method, I don't think that is a good way. Because you have to boot into PE which cost time and exists the possiblity of failure booting.

Still I think aviv00's method is best, but need revise.

Edited by victor888

The XPLS folder was Deleted by XP Setup, so XPLS must be treated in the same way as the original $WIN_NT$.~LS folder, e.g. Renaming at T-9 and Undoing Renaming at GuiRunOnce.

Did you tried with a "malformed" directory name?

Does XP Setup delete the folder anywway? :unsure:

jaclaz

Did you tried with a "malformed" directory name?

Does XP Setup delete the folder anywway? :unsure:

jaclaz

I tried only renaming $WIN_NT$.~LS folder to XPLS folder.

After finishing XP Setup, the XPLS folder on USB-stick was gone .....