Have two consectutive installs going..

So im new. Hi everybody! :hello:

and i need some help. Ok, so im using Windows Post-Installer and i have a ginormous app (Adobe CS4 Master) that i need to have extracting the whole time the other applications are installing (takes about an hour just to extract, not counting install time *sigh*). how might i do this?

Edited by phil...

Hello and welcome :). Have you used Oleg Scherbakov's modified 7z SFX module? (http://7zsfx.solta.ru/en/). With it, you could possibly run one install with the nowait: prefix to run multiple installers at the same time as the first. It wouldn't work if two MSI's were trying to install at the same time though...

By the way, how is Adobe CS4 packaged? Could the install size be reduced, or could it be compressed with 7z/LZMA?

Edited by TronBoRG

well, the issue im coming up with is that WPI goes in order and waits til each program is done installing to continue, im wanting CS4 to extract into a temp folder while other applications install. do you follow? i dont see how what you said could help my situation, so i thought i would clarify.

EDIT: And i have cs4 packed as a self extracting 7z right now, hence why it takes 30-1 hour mins to extract

Edited by phil...

Here is an exampe of what my config would look like:

RunProgram="nowait:\"%%S\\AdobeCS4Installer.exe\""

RunProgram="\"%%S\\Installer1.exe\""

RunProgram="\"%%S\\Installer2.exe\""

RunProgram="\"%%S\\Installer3.exe\""

RunProgram="\"%%S\\Installer4.exe\""

RunProgram="\"%%S\\Installer5.exe\""

(%%S - full path to the SFX archive file)

This method would mean you running this SFX with WPI, as all the others will be child processes.

I am not sure if this is what you're looking for, maybe i'm misunderstanding.

Edited by TronBoRG

Well theres one issue with doing it that way, it combines two installers into one exe. i want to stick with WPI and its list and options, ect, as much as possible. if there was the equivalent of that for WPI, thats what im looking for..

Solution is to leave CS4 extracted on your DVD otherwise even if extraction starts

first and WPI continue in the same time to install other apps, the whole process

will be slow. Probably you have other applications with large size and heavy

compressed (like Nero).

Edited by radix

Look the config.js script over. I think (AFAIK) it allows for several commands in-a-row to execute for a given selection. In addition, I believe each selection will be run-in-a-row. In other words, you can't "simultaneously" run several selections (WPI is sequential in nature?).

And I agree, if you can Extract the Install, it would speed the process up.

HTH

I just added a new feature for 7.4.0, {RUNBG}, run in background, to start an installer but not wait for it to finish. WPI will continue on it's merry way while Adobe could be churning away in the background. But like someone else said, once you get 2 installers going at the same time, your computer will still slow down.