Missing monitor resolution (1680 x 1050)

dovdo

Hello,

I have a big problem. I use a computer based on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, video card ati radeon 9800 XT. On the same computer I use windows Me, Xp, Vista.

Now I have a new 22" widescreen monitor. Under windows Xp and Vista, I 'unlocked' 1680 x 1050 pixel resolution using ati catalyst control center (I disable EDID which is for Extended Display Identification Data), so I can use the fully monitor resolution.

Under windows me I'm not able to unlock 1680 x 1050, ati catalyst control center does not support windows 9x, I also tried to use this software copying it from his folder (under xp);

so I have to use 1600 x 1200 ............

Is there a way to unlock edid under windows 9x, is there a registry trick to force 1680 x 1050 resolution.

Thanks for the attention.

G.

Your suggestion works fine!!!!!!!!! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

I generated a new .inf monitor file with new max resolution value (1680 x 1050).

In the control panel -> monitor -> install new monitor (I have used the .inf file created).

I found new resolution.

Thank you from Italy!!

• 2 years later...

I just had a similar problem. Yesterday my Viewsonic VX2245wm was displaying optimally at 1680x1050 and when I came to the computer today it was at a different resolution. When I tried to manually adjust it back to 1680x1050 using Display Settings the highest resolution listed was 1600x1200, 1680x1050 wasn't even on the list. I of course 'googled' this problem to no end and did not find a lot of useful help. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both my Graphics Card driver and Monitor Driver (had much difficulty with the Monitor Driver) along with running Windows Update etc. At one point I even looked at buying a new Monitor :). I finally 're-googled' the problem and at the bottom of a long post found that someone had solved their similar problem by using a shorter monitor cord. That didn't seem to be my issue since I hadn't changed my cord ever but it did prompt me to think about unplugging and replugging both the DVI and Power Cord, with the computer ON. Well guess what, it fixed my problem! I couldn't believe it, I spent several hours messing around and all I needed to do was Hard Power Cycle my Monitor by physically unplugging and plugging, more than likely, the power cord. I should mention that I think, not 100% sure, that I Soft Power Cycled my monitor by using the Power Button on the Monitor while installing and uninstalling the drivers but that didn't help so long story short.

HARD POWER CYCLE YOUR MONITOR to force it to discover or in this case rediscover it's Native Resolution

You do have to pay to keep using Powerstrip, otherwise the trial time expires, as far as I remember, unless it's already been paid for. Not sure if the expiration affects the new added resolution(s).

Edit: I know the trial expiration disabled any new geometries I added (vertical-horizontal screen widths, pincushions, etc).

Edited by technoid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

hi, I have another Solution and it WORKS perfectly on my PC

here's what I did:

1. one day my viewsonic 22 inch square missing 1680x1080 , I don't know why , maybe because my brother's game. (I tried everything, update driver,powerstrip, reinstall VGA driver still doesn't work)

I try to turn it OFF

2. I change my other monitor Dell 24 wide and replace viewsonic 22. Turn it ON. Right click on desktop>settings>

Change my resolution to 1920 x 1080, turn it OFF

3. Replace again my monitor to viewsonic 22 inch square.

And Walaaaa... my 1680x1080 back to normal.. :)

I don't know what happen, but it WORKS !!!! :lol:

sorry for my English, cheers from Indonesia