Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Testing SATA/Raid Drivers unattended Install?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

JoJa15

JoJa15

• 11 posts
  • Joined 31-December 03
I am going to be testing out an unattended WinXP Pro install that gets rid of the "Press F6 for drivers" prompt. The problem is that I only have one machine to build the unattended install disk from and that is the same machine I am going to test on. I don't want to screw up and then have to reinstall windows and all my slipstream files again. Is there a way I can stop an install before it messes with my already installed WinXP even though it is an unattended install? At what point should I stop it at?

Can I do something on purpose that will cause the install to fail at that certain point? Then once I now everything is working I can then get rid of the failure item and it will run fine?

I sure wish I could use VirtualPC for this but obviously Virtual PC is not good for drivers.

I need to make sure that the drivers install fine and get rid of the F6 prompt and also make it fine through the GUI portion. I have heard of some people making it past the F6 portion but then the driver fails in the GUI portion.

Best Regards,
John

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
Here is my understanding how xp uses the RAID or SCSI drivers.

1 - Boot from CD, you see the "press f6 to load 3rd party drivers"
2 - If you press F6, it will look on the floppy. Or in your case, the drivers are already on the CD so you don't need to press anything.
3 - If the drivers were loaded w/o any problems, at the partition screen it'll show your partitions, and possibly give you the option to repair windows. If the drivers failed, at the partition screen it'll say "setup was unable to find a hard drive attached".

So try the CD, if the partition screen shows your partition you're probably OK.

-gosh

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
Well that's not right. When the partition screen appears you will be able to choose one partition, reformat etc.... but it might not load the driver just when it start copying stuff from CD (before 1st reboot). Happpened to me quite few times. Only way might be Ghost or Drive Image. That what I used. If you dont have slipstreamed hotfixes just SP1 or SP1a you can have RAID driver on CD and no need to press F6, But if you have all slipstreamed it appears that it doesn't like winnt.sif file and ignores it. Moreover it will let you select driver from the FDD but it will not copy it so after 1st reboot you might get BSOD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users