DNS with non-domain computers

chris.thompson

I have a fairly interesting problem happening. We have two servers running Windows 2008 Enterprise Server. They are basically copies of each other; each one is a Domain Controller, Global Catalog Server, DNS Server, and also runs Hyper-V. For the purposes of this I'll call them S1 and S2. They're both fully patched.

We just recently moved our local wiki from one server to a virtual server, and so I updated the CNAME record for it for the new system that it's on (and that system has a corresponding A record). It was on IP 250, now it's on 222.

People on the domain can get to it with no problem, no matter what server they use for DNS. Non-domain computers, such as our linux clients and some other scattered Windows systems can resolve properly to 222 only when using S2, but when using S1, they still resolve to 250. I tested a few systems and found this to be very consistent. I had one machine off the domain using S1 for DNS, and it gave 250. I put it on the domain, and it started giving 222. S2 gave 222 both on and off the domain, so it really seems like it's an issue with not being on the domain, which I'm pretty stumped about because I don't know why that would have anything to do with DNS.

I've tried ipconfig/flushdns on these systems that don't get the proper address as well.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! If I'm not clear about anything let me know and I'll try to elaborate.

Try:

nslookup wiki s1

nslookup wiki s2

and make sure they are both returning the same IP addresses. I would still also open up the DNS management tool on both DCs and double-check that they are publishing the correct IP address.

Another option would be to delete the entry out of both DNS servers and then add it back in again.

-John

I did the nslookup on two different systems.

On mine (which is on the domain) they both return the correct IP, 222.

On the other one, a test system which is off the domain, it returned 250 for s1 and 222 for s2.

I'm going to try deleting the record out later when nobody is here. Is there any amount of time I should wait after deleting it, and should I add it to one or the other first? Thanks!

Edit: I've now deleted the entry for wiki out of DNS altogether. When doing an nslookup on s1 and s2 on my domain system, it says it can't find it (as it should). On a few non-domain systems (after flushing dns even) it still reads s1 as 250 and s2 as 222.

Edited by chris.thompson