Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Disable "Welcome IE8" tweak on first Run

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Geej

Geej

• PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
Please share if you know any tweak that can disable "Welcome IE8 screen" on first run.
Usually I need to click "Ask me later" just to remove this little annoyance. I was wondering if there is any tweak as I couldn't find one.
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

TZM

TZM
  • 2 posts
@Geej
@LeveL

http://www.msfn.org/...o...st&p=846467

:: Skip default page
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main" /v "DisableFirstRunCustomize" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f > nul

Edited by TZM, 04 April 2009 - 05:23 AM.

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

see here

http://it.megocollector.com/?p=296

Not working.

Geej

Geej

• PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
Thanks for the link but I have finally found below tweak to work in my XP (32bit) after applied at GUIRUNONCE.

(I will test it in T13 when got time.) <==edit == Found to work at T12/T13 too.

Attached File  IE8NoWelcome.reg   820bytes   284 downloads

Attachment same as
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"IE8RunOnceLastShown"=dword:00000001
"IE8RunOnceLastShown_TIMESTAMP"=hex:d0,0e,71,6a,ce,b5,c9,01
"IE8RunOncePerInstallCompleted"=dword:00000001
"IE8RunOnceCompletionTime"=hex:40,c3,35,84,ce,b5,c9,01
"IE8TourShown"=dword:00000001
"IE8TourShownTime"=hex:60,65,08,61,37,b7,c9,01

Edited by Geej, 18 September 2009 - 10:25 PM.

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Attached File  IE8NoWelcome.reg   820bytes   284 downloads

Thanks, I am chasing my own tail here, hope this makes it work.

Edited by LeveL, 07 April 2009 - 08:57 PM.

Brownie

Brownie
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem, with the "Welcome to Internet Explorer 8" popup appearing quite often when I started IE8 (installed as a Windows Critical Download in the past two weeks ...). Looked at the various registry fixs here, and decide there must be an easier way, so I contacted Microsoft Tech Support. Here is what has worked for me, on three different XP-PRO systems:

Run GPEDIT.MSC
Find "Administrative Templates", drill to "Windows Components", "Internet Explorer"
Double click on Internet Explorer to get a long list and locate "Prevent Performance of First Run Customize Settings"
Right click, select properties, and set to "Disable"
Click on Apply, OK, and exit Group Policy Editor

I double checked the registry, after finding this to be successful, and did not find the various registry additions or changes suggested here, so this is probably an alternate approach -- and it works!

Brownie

Geej

Geej

• PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
@Brownie
To get these tweaks, I actually had to click "Next' at Welcome Prompt and answer all questions IE asks. So at the end, I get "IE8TourShown"=dword:00000001 & "IE8RunOnceLastShown" etc with their own timestamp. This is different from GPEDIT.MSC which are disabled totally. So it won't be the same in the registry.

OldSpiceGuy

OldSpiceGuy
  • 1 posts

Please share if you know any tweak that can disable "Welcome IE8 screen" on first run.
Usually I need to click "Ask me later" just to remove this little annoyance. I was wondering if there is any tweak as I couldn't find one.
Posted Image

The quickest fix for Windows Vista IE8 is the zip file found on this blog. It's the only sure way I've found to be of any help at all and takes less than a minute to take care of that annoying welcome popup. This link has a file called ie8-tour-disable.zip. Click on it to download. I've used it and it worked beautifully. To my knowledge, there is no other way to do this unless you manually edit the registry. This little program makes all the changes in your registry for you in less than a second.

http://www.winhelpon...once-all-users/

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,888 posts
I won't use a exe I am not sure of.

Actually GPedit does do some registry stuff but it disappears after you start IE8. If you manually add the 2 below into your reg tweaks it's completely turned off by a policy edit but it won't disappear.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{0ADBE806-9474-4975-88D6-9BE509667377}Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"DisableFirstRunCustomize"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"DisableFirstRunCustomize"=dword:00000001

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

chenze

chenze
  • 1 posts

thanks very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN