HP Notebook: The recovery partition could not be found

ahmad2080

[PROBLEM SOLVED.......SEE POST NO.#88 IN PAGE 5]

Hello,

I've searched through the web and came up with no answer. I just found other people who have the same problem.....

i need help generating hp recovery discs from a damaged partition table(I guess).

I didn't know that partition magic is uncompatible with vista, so when i ran the program it asked me to FIX the partition table....'YES' was my answer, then the recovery partition dissapeared. I restored the partition using a tiny file that i found at www.hp.com ( the file purpose is to fix error in reading free space on partitions, anyway it made the recovery partition show up and i don't know how).

Now i can't build the recovery discs. The Disc creator from hp doesn't recognize the recovery partition. It's curious, because i do have all recovery partition files there, but the disk creator tool doesn't go on. It shows the error message "The recovery partition could not be found"

Beside this the F11 key doen't log me into the recovery manager at start up, it just continues loading the OS.

Anyone knows a solution ?

thanks

;)

Configuration: Windows vista on hp pavilion dv6-1045ee

Edited by ahmad2080

Greets :-)

Well changing the partition table shouldn't affect the data in the recovery partition; not sure what HP software you are using though the actual filenames would help. So you can see the recovery partition as a seperate drive in My Computer? Can you post a screenshot or description of what files are inside the recovery volume?

Greets :-)

Well changing the partition table shouldn't affect the data in the recovery partition; not sure what HP software you are using though the actual filenames would help. So you can see the recovery partition as a seperate drive in My Computer? Can you post a screenshot or description of what files are inside the recovery volume?

Thanks DigeratiPrime I didn't expect such a fast reply....

Yes, the recovery partition appears as a separate drive in MY COMPUTER . I've attached a screenshot of the contents of that partition.

I think HP uses 'Soft Thinks' application CD creator [that's what is written in the description field of the recovery disk creation file].

The subdrives in the recovery partition are blocked. I've attached a screenshot for that too.

The MASTER.LOG file is the only file that I can open. It has these lines in it:

In Master.log:

[Master]

INPVer=4

Win_Size=0

Size=4267943171

Size_Excl=0

Language=English

LangID=00000409

[GENERAL]

InstallationPath=C:\Program Files\SMINST

BLState=-1

BLPrepared=-1

RecoveryFromVista=

In C:\Program Files\SMINST (as listed in the installation path) there are a bunch of files and folders. A screenshot of that has been attached too.

About the HPRM-BCDFix.cmd file in C:\Program Files\SMINST , what does it do? some people solved a similar problem by just double clicking on it, when I tried that (Right click and Run as administrator) it didn't work, some how it's related to the GetKeyboardLayout.exe file.

I'll list the contents of the HPRM-BCDFix.log file [i think it would be useful] :

Sat 03/28/2009- 7:21:25.67-[HPRM-BCDFix.cmd]: START

Determining if we have a SoftThinks Recovery Partition ...

D: Contains SOURCES\RP and MASTER.LOG, will assume this is the WinRE ...

Set the WINRE boot configuration ...

An error occurred while attempting the specified create operation.

The specified entry already exists.

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /SET {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice partition=D:

The operation completed successfully.

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /SET {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \boot\boot.sdi

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /CREATE {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} -d "HP Recovery Manager" /application OSLOADER

An error occurred while attempting the specified create operation.

The specified entry already exists.

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} device ramdisk=[D:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} path \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} osdevice ramdisk=[D:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} systemroot \windows

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} detecthal yes

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} nx optin

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} winpe yes

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} custom:46000010 yes

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /set {default} recoverysequence {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d}

BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE C:\BOOT\BCD /set {default} recoveryenabled yes

Get the keyboard locale ...

GetKeyboardLayout.exe

GetKeyboardLayout.exe returned 1111573323

Sat 03/28/2009- 7:21:39.24-[HPRM-BCDFix.cmd]: END

Thanks,

post-237972-1238224168_thumb.jpg

post-237972-1238224195_thumb.jpg

post-237972-1238224894_thumb.png

Did the recovery partition (BEFORE fiddling with partition magic and the HP tool) show?

Usually these partitions have a "special" partition identifier that makes them invisible from the "normal" system.

When you press a "special" key, I guess F11 in your case, the identifier is changed in such a way that the partition can be booted.

Read this thread to get an idea about the way it works:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Create-My-Own-Re...on-t108515.html

I'll see if I can find some HP specific info and let you know.

jaclaz

I would be helpful to see the contents of HPRM-BCDFix.cmd, just open it with notepad and paste the contents here inside

tags.  

There is also a GetKeyboardLayout.exe.LOG file that would help, there appear to be other logs but not as relevant.

It sounds like you have an entry in BCD called "HP Recovery Manager" which you might be able to access by holding F8 as Windows is about to boot through the [b]Advanced Boot Options[/b] menu.

The F11 option was probably removed from the MBR.

jaclaz:

Yes, the Recovery partition was there before using PM and HP tool. Thanks for the Link.

I would be helpful to see the contents of HPRM-BCDFix.cmd, just open it with notepad and paste the contents here .

There is also a GetKeyboardLayout.exe.LOG file that would help, there appear to be other logs but not as relevant.

It sounds like you have an entry in BCD called "HP Recovery Manager" which you might be able to access by holding F8 as Windows is about to boot through the <B>Advanced Boot Options</B> menu.

The F11 option was probably removed from the MBR.

HPRM-BCDFix.cmd code:

@ECHO OFF</P> <P>REM 14/08/2008 - REV7 - Removed call of SetWinReLanguage.exe (same EXE as GetKeyboardLayout.exe)
REM 07/08/2008 - REV6 - Change path for GetKeyboardLayout.exe
REM 23/05/2007 - REV5 - Add language detection to WinRE during OOBE by running C:\Windows\Sminst\SetWinReLanguage.exe which will set the Language value in RP:\Master.log
REM 14/05/2007 - REV4 - Add keyboard locale detection by running C:\Windows\Sminst\GetKeyboardLayout.exe which will store the keyboard LCID in RP:\Master.log
REM 29/09/2006 - REV3 - Ramdisk option 'ramdisksdidevice' now points to the BOOT.SDI in WinRE:\Boot folder. No need for this file in the Vista partition anymore.
REM 28/09/2006 - REV2 - Improved logging, different WINLOAD.EXE location and changed /STORE for ramdisk options.
REM 27/09/2006 - REV1 - Initial version.</P> <P>
REM -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
REM Start the LOG file
REM -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SET LOG=HPRM_BCD_FIX.LOG
ECHO. %DATE%-%TIME%-[%~nx0]: START>> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P> </P> <P>REM -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
REM Determining if we have a SoftThinks Recovery Partition.
ECHO Determining if we have a SoftThinks Recovery Partition ... >> %LOG%
ECHO Determining if we have a SoftThinks Recovery Partition ...
ECHO. >> %LOG%
ECHO.
FOR %%a IN ( C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z ) DO (
IF EXIST %%a:\SOURCES\RP IF EXIST %%a:\MASTER.LOG (

ECHO %%a: Contains SOURCES\RP and MASTER.LOG, will assume this is the WinRE ... >> %LOG%
ECHO %%a: Contains SOURCES\RP and MASTER.LOG, will assume this is the WinRE ...
ECHO. >> %LOG%
ECHO.

SET WINRE_VOLUME=%%a

GOTO ADD_AUTOFAILOVER_ENTRIES</P> <P> )
)
)
IF "%WINRE_VOLUME%"=="" GOTO END
REM -----------------------------------------------------------------------------</P> <P> </P> <P>:ADD_AUTOFAILOVER_ENTRIES
REM Set the WINRE boot configuration
ECHO Set the WINRE boot configuration ... >> %LOG%
ECHO Set the WINRE boot configuration ...
ECHO. >> %LOG%
ECHO.</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /CREATE {ramdiskoptions} /d "RAM Disk Settings" >> %LOG
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /CREATE {ramdiskoptions} /d "RAM Disk Settings" >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice partition=%WINRE_VOLUME%: >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice partition=%WINRE_VOLUME%: >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \boot\boot.sdi >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \boot\boot.sdi >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /CREATE {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} -d "HP Recovery Manager" /application OSLOADER >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /CREATE {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} -d "HP Recovery Manager" /application OSLOADER >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} device ramdisk=[%WINRE_VOLUME%:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions} >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} device ramdisk=[%WINRE_VOLUME%:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions} >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} path \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} path \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} osdevice ramdisk=[%WINRE_VOLUME%:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions} >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} osdevice ramdisk=[%WINRE_VOLUME%:]\sources\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions} >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} systemroot \windows >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} systemroot \windows >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} detecthal yes >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} detecthal yes >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} nx optin >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} nx optin >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} winpe yes >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} winpe yes >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} custom:46000010 yes >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /SET {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} custom:46000010 yes >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /set {default} recoverysequence {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /set {default} recoverysequence {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae2-0007e994107d} >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%</P> <P>ECHO BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /set {default} recoveryenabled yes >> %LOG%
BCDEDIT.EXE /STORE %SystemDrive%\BOOT\BCD /set {default} recoveryenabled yes >> %LOG%
ECHO. >> %LOG%
REM -----------------------------------------------------------------------------</P> <P> </P> <P>REM -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
REM Get the keyboard locale and Set the language detected during OOBE
ECHO Get the keyboard locale ... >> %LOG%
ECHO Get the keyboard locale ...
ECHO. >> %LOG%
ECHO.</P> <P>ECHO GetKeyboardLayout.exe >> %LOG%
ECHO GetKeyboardLayout.exe
GetKeyboardLayout.exe</P> <P>ECHO GetKeyboardLayout.exe returned %ERRORLEVEL% >> %LOG%
ECHO GetKeyboardLayout.exe returned %ERRORLEVEL%</P> <P>ECHO. >> %LOG%
REM -----------------------------------------------------------------------------</P> <P> </P> <P>GOTO END</P> <P> </P> <P>:END</P> <P>ECHO. >> %LOG%
ECHO. %DATE%-%TIME%-[%~nx0]: END >> %LOG%

The GetKeyboardLayout.exe.LOG file is empty!!!!

There are other files that might be useful. I'll list the contents of some and attach the others in a doc file :

BI.LOG:

Path of BaseImg.dll : C:\Program Files\SMINST\BaseImg.dll

Version of STODD.DLL : 1.0.0.10

Entering FindISOPartitionRP SearchEntering IsISOPartition

Testing Drive C:\

End of IsISOPartion : 0Entering IsISOPartition

Testing Drive D:\

End of IsISOPartion : 0RP not found. Trying to mount it.

Error Execute : 3

End of FindRP : 0

SetWinREL.LOG:

GetKeyboardLayout.EXE - 1, 0, 91, 3 - Compiled on Aug 18 2008 10:49:35 - Executed on Mar 28 2009 07:21:34

CDisk::GetDiskNumber : ENTER CDisk::GetDiskNumber(LPCTSTR pszDrive=C:\))

CDisk::GetDiskNumber : CreateFile succeeded on \\.\C:

CDisk::GetDiskNumber : dwRetVal after IOCTL_VOLUME_GET_VOLUME_DISK_EXTENTS: 0

CDisk::GetDiskNumber : RETURNED 0

CDisk::OpenDiskInformation : ENTER CDisk::OpenDiskInformation() - m_dwDisk=0

CDisk::OpenDiskInformation : Free volume found: Z:\

CDisk::OpenDiskInformation : Mount partition 1 on Disk 0 as Z:\

CDisk::OpenDiskInformation : RETURNED \\?\Volume{6105b98d-fea9-11dd-844d-806e6f6e6963}\

Free volume found: Z:\

Mount partition 2 on Disk 0 as Z:\

RETURNED \\?\Volume{6105b98e-fea9-11dd-844d-806e6f6e6963}\

RETURNED 1

CDisk::CloseDiskInformation : ENTER CDisk::CloseDiskInformation()

CDisk::CloseDiskInformation : EXIT

CDisk::CloseDiskInformation : ENTER CDisk::CloseDiskInformation()

CDisk::CloseDiskInformation : EXIT

No recovery partition detected...

RP is .\

Active Keyboard layout code is 00000409

Current language is English

Put in .\Master.log

Wimfltr 32

CGen::CreateDir: Directory created

CGen::CreateDir: Directory created

CGen::DelDir : ENTER CGen::DelDir(CString strDir=C:\Program Files\SMINST\Tmp_Mount)

CGen::DelFiles : ENTER CGen::DelFiles(CString strDir=C:\Program Files\SMINST\Tmp_Mount)

CGen::DelFiles : EXIT

CGen::DelDir : EXIT

CGen::DelDir : ENTER CGen::DelDir(CString strDir=C:\Program Files\SMINST\Temp_ST)

CGen::DelFiles : ENTER CGen::DelFiles(CString strDir=C:\Program Files\SMINST\Temp_ST)

CGen::DelFiles : EXIT

CGen::DelDir : EXIT

-> 28/03/2009 - 07:21:39

In INSTALL_APP.exe.LOG there is aline that says :

void CSmInstApp::GetAppDrvDirectory : ERROR : No D:\I386\ or D:\HP\ found

: The data area passed to a system call is too small.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

The F8 idea is briliant ,I don't know why didn't I think about it before. When the advanced boot option page opened I choosed "Repair your computer", then "recovery manager".This opened the same recovery manager window that used to open in the WINDOWS OS. The error message didn't show up...(but it still shows up in the OS).What does all of this mean??

Recovery.doc

Edited by ahmad2080

The F8 idea is briliant ,I don't know why didn't I think about it before. When the advanced boot option page opened I choosed "Repair your computer", then "recovery manager".This opened the same recovery manager window that used to open in the WINDOWS OS. The error message didn't show up...(but it still shows up in the OS).What does all of this mean??

After WinRE loads, can you do a Complete PC Restore?

After WinRE loads, can you do a Complete PC Restore?

Actually I didn't try to do a complete PC Restore......I will have to backup all my data (about 100GB).....

I think that it would work if I tried.

Is this my only and last option to fix the problem???

I am not sure what you're trying to accomplish anymore.

Can you restate specifically what the "problem" is?

I think you want to create a recovery disc but the hp software is broken, it looks like this software just uses the built in vista backup feature, I have pointed out how to restore from the recovery partition without using an hp recovery disc. You could also create a standard recovery disc from the control panel, it might be missing some customization hp makes to WinRE, but its going to restore the same image anyway.

To be more specific:

I need to know what should be done to restore the precovery partition without doing a complete recovery to the system. What if the recovery process failed in the middle of its progress? then I'll not be able to recover anything at all [no recovery disks and no recovery partition].

There must be a way to get that 'Recovery manager' back to see the recovery partition as before. What exactly did PM do??

How can I undo it??

I want to solve the problem & learn something new.

I don't like to follow:

Do you want the problem to be solved?? YES.........Then recover your whole system.

It's like reinstalling the OS because of an error message that pops up at startup.!!!!!

I want to know why the error message "The recovery partition could not be found" shows up...and how to make it dissapear.

I feel that the problem can be solved easily, but some knowledge is needed....That's what I'm seeking here.

F8 was a great hint, but it'll be my last option to use it.

If you want to bring back the F11 option, or change the recovery volume attributes you're going to need to modify the MBR. You NEED a recovery disc before you even attempt this because chances are the hard drive will become unbootable. I would reccomend backing up your data to another drive too.

Be careful when considering modifying the MBR on any system that uses a SoftThinks recovery partition. Part of the reason why your HP software may be broken is that the SoftThinks software (it has another name that I won't mention) writes information to the BCD, MBR and other files that needs to all work together. Damaging any one of these peices may cause the recovery partition to become unworkable. Another possibility is that your partition does not have its license anymore, or the license is there but the FAT does not see it anymore.

As far as how to fix your issue, I can't help you with that. All I can say is that I've had many experiences with SoftThinks and I have not been able to ever fix a broken partition before without recreating it.

I have not been able to ever fix a broken partition before without recreating it.

Thanks for your reply Tripredacus,

What do you mean by recreating???do you mean formatting the partition and updating the partition table?

I have not been able to ever fix a broken partition before without recreating it.

Thanks for your reply Tripredacus,

What do you mean by recreating???do you mean formatting the partition and updating the partition table?

You will not have the ability to recreate the partition. I have this ability because I use the SoftThinks software on a daily basis, which includes the ability to create recovery partitions. I can't get into the specifics with you, unfortunately.