HP Notebook: The recovery partition could not be found

ahmad2080

Greetings Ahmad!

Sleel nerves. I am tired from mentioned service and "patches" trying resolve the similar problem :wacko:

Think may be helpfull attach those ridiculos MBRs from HP to this forum.

Comparing take to find this "special" code. No choice find solution in a usual way :(

Recovery can't be created...

I thought the whole point was to find the way to run the original app to re-install a working MBR as in factory. :unsure:

Using the way Tripredacus suggested before (using the MBR.EXE from Terabyte) or using grub4dos, you could have done the same.

So, I am happy :) that your initial problem was solved, but still we haven't found the solution :(.

Once you have done the recovery disks, try applying the attached MBR and post results.

Also, I seem to be missing two things:

• the bootsector form your Recovery partition (16 sectors)
  • the bootsector from the recovery partition of your friend (the first one) also 16 sectors.

I need them, when you have time, in order to try and understand which mods (if any) are made to them.

jaclaz

MBR_from_j.zip

Hi friends,

can u please clearly put the instruction step by step from the begining.

CD Creator showing me the same error: "The recovery partition could not be found"

I think you have already solved the problem. Please help.

Edited by Niru

Niru,

there are three games played on the board:

1) is the one I am playing, that at the moment is still going on, but with no progresses as my partner abandoned....:whistle:

2) is the one ahmad2080 played and won by cheating :w00t: (and later abandoned)

3) is the one that Tripredacus played (and won :)) using MBR.EXE from Terabyte:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130609

Your best bet right now is #3. ;)

jaclaz

Sure, thanks for the link Jaclaz!!

Let me a little to discover this utility and I'll post the results :angel

Hm... This topic lost unfinished. :unsure:

and redirected: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130645&hl=

Moreover Tripredacus now keep with PE to boot onto D: to start recovery instead of reparation :(

So the making disk problem still goes on.

But if I try (on my own risk) somewhat like Partition Doctor for reparation? Or simply HDhack it from similar disk. There is no special HP code in second part so it must be the same like many others. I have no much experience so far.

May it be helpfull?

Edited by Snack

But if I try (on my own risk) somewhat like Partition Doctor for reparation? Or simply HDhack it from similar disk. There is no special HP code in second part so it must be the same like many others. I have no much experience so far.

May it be helpfull?

NO.

Don't do ANYTHING you may later regret.

Before doing ANY attempt, and definitely NOT with "sophisticated" tools like Partition Magic, Partition Doctor, Acronis or paragon's Partition Manager, make sure by testing and double testing that you have a way back, as I showed ahmad2080 before.

Are you willing to take part in game #1? :unsure:

Let see if I can put together the essentials:

• from factory there is a "special" MBR on HP/Compaq laptops that allows when booting to press F11 to access 2nd partition (Recovery) and from it start ..... (please fill the gap, what is supposed to do when F11 is pressed? Should the option to Recover the drive or create the disk start?
  • this capacity is lost by replacing the MBR with a "normal" one (or however a different one)
  • the MBR you posted appears to be the original "special" one, but with a couple of "suspect", as I see it, bytes
  • how was the MBR you posted made? Did you already run MBRINST.EXE or MBR.DLL on that PC? Or otherways when did the problem happen?

jaclaz

Hi all genious there !! :hello:

What I understand from post # 88 is he overwrite the file created by HDhacker( the special factory version of MBR) from his friend's machine. So is it possible that Ahmad share that file and I also overwrite that into my system?

Don't be angry if this option is too silly :unsure:

Actually I do not have any knowledge about this mbr kind of files.

Please help with some simple and clear steps.

Here is my bootsector created using HDhacker (if you need to see the code) :

BootSector_DriveD1.rar

Edited by Niru

Hi Jaclaz!

Would be grateful to take a part :)

That is my way to point:

My Vista was damaged from unrecover disaster. It get lazy with many errors and updates stoped. No viruses found. Gaming with restore points do somesing but not a decision.

Read a tones of forums with no movement. HP discontinued my Pavilion and when I ask them get a link to third patry market to find out Recovery Disk suit.

Now what I see in replay on your question

* by pressing F11 I get normal start with a little delay in absolutely black screen till welcome

* yeap I try to recover this issue by starting a Vista installation disk with option "recover startup" cose I thougth MS is wize enought to recover their native product :(

now I now the guys who achived more sofisticated results :wacko:

* after got "help" from Microsoft I found (reading this topic) a hidden HP directory with RECOVERY and PATCH folders. Applying those *.cmd leed me to above MBR and do nothing of course.

* Then I renamed a mbr.dll into mbr.exe and it show me a screen with some options, but trying to apply them I got message -- WARNING: Recovery partition could not be located

Edited by Snack

Hello everybody.....

It has been only one day since I last checked this thread and you say "abandoned"!!!!

I had alot of postponded work to do. This "recovery partition" was the reason of course.....

It seems like there are some other people "SUFFERING" from this stupid HP partition....

I would like to reply to each post....But I'm really running out of time..

BTW, I didn't pay my ISP bills.....so I don't have an internet connection at home..!!!! So please have patience!!! :whistle:

I'll upload everything you all need as soon as I have time to do it.....

@jaclaz

Tripredacus said that his method solved the F11 function (which I need to do now), but he didn't say that it'll make me able to make the recovery disks from the SofThinks application.

AND, I've already sent you my friend's C & D bootsectors and his MBR.....

I don't think that I can send them again, because during my experiments trying to return the F11 function I had to format my USBStick which had all of bootSectors and MBRs on it.

But let me tell you this...

Action: Applying his MBR on mine

Result: System did not boot

Action: Applying his C boot sector on mine

Result: system did not boot

I wanted to try applying BOTH.....but as I said..the USBStick was formatted.

I'm a little confused here.....I think that I'll restate the whole problem again to make everything clear...

I have a request: Please define the difference between bootsectors and MBR.....

See you in (1 or 2 days)...

Edited by ahmad2080

Here is my bootsector created using HDhacker (if you need to see the code) :

Try re-reading this:

@snack

The bootsector you posted is perfectly unuseful, a NTFS bootsector is 16 sectors.

jaclaz

:whistle:

jaclaz