HP Notebook: The recovery partition could not be found

ahmad2080

Hopefully a workaround :unsure: (NOT the solution) by using mbldr.

Get mbldr here:

http://mbldr.sourceforge.net/

http://mbldr.sourceforge.net/#Download

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mbldr/m...46.zip?download

Unzip to a directory, then run mbldrgui.exe.

Then:

• Select the drive.
  • Add> first the RECOVERY partition and specify the "RECOVERY" label for it - it will be the smallest of the two and probably listed as second on the left window
  • Add> second the "Normal" partition (and specify the "Normal" label for it) - press "Mark current" button
  • Uncheck "Hide other primary partitions at boot"
  • Change the drop-down box on the left "Progress bar" from "Decreasing digits" to "Dots"
  • Change the drop-down box on the right "Keis choosing what to boot" from "1,2,3" to "Custom scan code"
  • A popup will show, READ it's contents and click OK then replace the "59" with "87"

Now edit the text:

• delete line "mbldr v1.46" - a popup will show, READ it's contents and click OK
  • delete line "RECOVERY"
  • delete line "*Normal"
  • Enter a line "Press F11 for Emergency Recovery"

mbldrsettingsh.jpg

Now backup and save:

• Press the "Backup MBR", this means that you are saving to a file the current MBR of the chosen drive.
  • Press the "Save MBR", this means that you are saving to a file the NEW MBR that you just built with mbldr.

Now write the NEW MBR:

• Change the small drop-down box on bottom left corner from "file" to "sector"
  • A popup will appear, READ it's contents and click OK.
  • Press the "Save MBR", this means that you are saving to a sector the NEW MBR that you just built with mbldr, a popup will appear with already the preset "0" sector, leave it as is and press OK.
  • Another popup will show for confirmation, click OK.

Try rebooting, you should be able by pressing F11 to boot to the "RECOVERY" partition, and by waiting or pressing [ENTER] to boot normally.

DON'T EVEN THINK of messing with the MBR if you have not a tested alternative way of booting the PC (see a few posts before for an easy one using a USB stick).

Report if this workaround works.

jaclaz

( to clarify at risk of offending... )

( MBR = 1st sector of Physical HDD, e.g. Disk0, Disk1, etc )

( Partition Boot "Sector" for NTFS = 1st 16 Logical Sectors of Logical Disk, e.g. Partition, e.g. C-drive, D-drive, etc )

( each Physical HDD, in this case ONE, will have one or more Partitions, in this case TWO! )

( sequence of events -

BIOS points to HDD as set inside

HDD MBR-code ALSO has Partition Definitions - MBR "boots" to Active Partition

Partition Boot "boots" the Operating System )

( SO! 3 hex listings necessary -

1 - 1st Sector of HDD

2 - 1st 16 Sectors of C-drive

3 - 1st 16 Sectors of D-drive )

Edited by submix8c

Hi

Make it twice, for sure but nothing happened :(

* F11 make a black screen for a while and then boot normally

* Disk creator sing the same song "Recovery partition could not be located"

* F8 show standart Vista Boot Manager, and when I choose "System Reparation" goes to error

0xc000000F

The boot selection failed because a required devices is inaccessible :blink:

(see post #115)

pressing ESC resume normal booting

note: Booting with PE disk all content of recovery disk D: can be viewed and accessible.

-------------

next attempt I tried to increase User Timer to 5 second and was able to see text message Press F11.. with dot progress bar working. Pressing different keys do nothing exсept resume to normal booting.

Edited by Snack

Make it twice, for sure but nothing happened :(

Make it what? :unsure:

The posted workaround? <-this is the thing that needs to be tested! :whistle:

Or running MBRINST.EXE or MBR.DLL renamed? <- this is the thing for which there is NO solution (yet ;))

jaclaz

Sure - mbldr (Post #106)

MBR from HP is for testing purposes only

One more thing - pressing F1 while F11 progress bar switch me to "chose operating system" WBM window with only choices Starting Vista and Memory Diagnostic. Without Recovery item

Edited by Snack

Hi Ahmad .... I have the same problem as u faced.

Is there any way out to get rid of that "recovery partition could not be found" error and create the recovery discs?

I don't have any friend here who has HP+Vista :(

Please let me know if can be done from my own machine......by changing any files.

Thanks in advance.

Actually I am (was) a PATIENT not a DOCTOR here :blushing: ......However, I'll do my best to help.

Greetings Ahmad!

Sleel nerves. I am tired from mentioned service and "patches" trying resolve the similar problem :wacko:

Think may be helpfull attach those ridiculos MBRs from HP to this forum.

Comparing take to find this "special" code. No choice find solution in a usual way :(

Recovery can't be created...

OK,..... http://ultrashare.net/hosting/fl/dcd3f5f89...riend_s_sectors

I don't recommend applying these MBR and boot sectors on your notebook without having a bootable USBStick from which you can restore your original MBR. Read post #73.

If you want to try the "silly" solution here are the steps:

1. Create a bootable USBStick using ALL instructions in POST#73.[and make sure that you can boot from it]
  2. Save your current MBR and boot sectors (using HDhacker) on your Stick and computer.
  3. Try applying my friend's D: drive boot sector on yours.
  4. Launch the CD creator software. It should (as in my case) see the partition now. If not, Undo step 3 by restoring your saved D: drive boot sector.

In my case, Applying the attached MBR or C: boot sector made the system unbootable. TAKE CARE.

If you messed up with your MBR you can restore it using the bootable USBStick:

1. Boot into the FreeDOS
  2. Type:
    MBRWIZ /disk=1 /Restore=C:\your_original_MBR.dat

I thought the whole point was to find the way to run the original app to re-install a working MBR as in factory. :unsure:

Using the way Tripredacus suggested before (using the MBR.EXE from Terabyte) or using grub4dos, you could have done the same.

So, I am happy :) that your initial problem was solved, but still we haven't found the solution :( .

Once you have done the recovery disks, try applying the attached MBR and post results.

Also, I seem to be missing two things:

• the bootsector form your Recovery partition (16 sectors)
  • the bootsector from the recovery partition of your friend (the first one) also 16 sectors.

I need them, when you have time, in order to try and understand which mods (if any) are made to them.

jaclaz

So you need all 16 sectors.......I'll upload my CURRENT 16 sectors and my first friend's soon.

NOTE: My first friend's notebook is not as similar as the second where his recovery partition size differs from mine. The second friend had the exact partition size as mine.

I'll try applying the attached MBR and post the results soon.

<LI>from factory there is a "special" MBR on HP/Compaq laptops that allows when booting to press F11 to access 2nd partition (Recovery) and from it start ..... (please fill the gap, what is supposed to do when F11 is pressed? Should the option to Recover the drive or create the disk start?

When F11 is pressed, the option that should start is " Recovering your system to factory settings". You can burn the Recovery disks ONLY from the SofThinks application inside Windows.

I have some questions here:

1. Can modifying MBR change the boot sectors of the partitions?
  2. Are these statements accurate:

• The "Recovery partition could not be found" problem is caused by modifications in the recovery partiton boot sectors and can't be solved by modifying MBR. [if true then why are you -jaclaz- doing MBR experiments, what's your point of view?]
  • The F11 problem is caused from either a modified MBR or modified recovery partiton boot sectors.

IMHO, by answering those questions we should be able to put our hands on what we should fix and how to fix it.....

Ahmad

Edited by ahmad2080

I want to comment on a few things.

1. The Boot Sector contains the MBR and other stuff.

2. The above is the reason I believe simply reapplying the MBR.INI with MBRINST (or MBR.DLL) is not enough to make the partition work. There is additional information in the sectors that need to be applied as well. In my experience, simply applying the MBR.INI that the SoftThinks software has in the recovery partition is not enough to activate the function key process. Of course my experience with this is different than yours, as I tried to make this work when using Imagex (file based imaging, as opposed to Ghost, which I use for images with these partitions, which is sector based) to image drives with recovery partitions.

3. My use of Terrabyte's MBR.EXE was not tested on a SoftThinks recovery partition. As noted in my thread, I used it to create my own custom recovery partition what used Win PE 2.1 and Imagex to do a recovery. I had created this because my company does not seem interested in upgrading our licensing agreement to support recovery options for Vista. Plus, if I can streamline this solution, we can dump them altogether. Because we have to pay for SoftThinks but we wouldn't have to pay for our own thing.

4. Concerning point 3, the MBR commands posted in my thread are based upon how I set up the custom recovery partition. Using this on a SoftThinks partition may be totally different. This is because my custom partition is still a hidden ID 7 volume, while SoftThinks is a hidden ID 12 partition. So if you want to test out this program, some different testing of the partition ID to set to may be in order. So this is saying that going from 0xC to 0x1C may not work for a SoftThinks partition

5. Don't get us wrong, we are glad you were able to make your recovery media. Helping out other users is our number 1 priority (other than keeping out the spam lol). The point that Jaclaz was trying to make earlier (I agree as well) is that while you have somewhat solved your problem, you used a workaround and not a real fix. So our initial issue, how to properly resolve a broken recovery partition is still unsolved. The main reason is that you are fortunate to know someone else with a similar computer to you. Many people are not so fortunate, so we still wish to know the true answer, so that we may help others who do not have access to the same model computer.

6. THE MOST IMPORTANT. Before attempting ANYTHING in this thread, make sure to back up your data. Also your MBR if at all possible. Using other MBRs, these programs and boot sectors, etc, may cause your computer not to boot. ahmad2080 had taken the proper precautions prior to doing any fiddling, and (correct me if I am wrong) was willing to accept the fact that this process could render his computer unusable without purchasing the recovery media from HP. So if you are looking for a quick fix to your problem here, be warned that this is all very technological stuff. I'm not trying to downgrade anyone here, but if you are unsure of what you are doing, then you best not do anything until you understand what is possible. As I noted in point 5, we have no clear cut solution at this time to this issue.

7. The F11 problem is caused by the fact that the MBR.INI does not have the code in it that tells it what to do with the partitions. This may be something that is added into the Boot Sector at the time of recovery partition creation. If you look in my custom Recovery Partition thread, you will see the code I use with MBR.EXE. It basically says that when you press (function key) change the boot drive to hidden, and change the hidden drive to bootable. After my recovery partition loads, I had to add another command that resets these values back to normal so that you can boot to Windows again after running the recovery. If you look at the MBR.INI, this type of information is not present. There is no such place where it shows options that change the partition ID at all.

I would say that I would like to try testing out this process using the MBR.EXE program next week, but I have about 15 projects I have to work on besides my regular job. I don't think I'll get around to it. I will put it on my list, but it might be a while before I get around to it. Hopefully this will be solved by then, if not, I'll bring this thread back up.

NEW ERROR --- NEW ERROR --- NEW ERROR

I have wrote Ahmad's friend's D drive bootsector and the "recovery partition could not found" disappears.

Wait wait ... there is no success !!!

But I am getting A NEW ERROR ...."This computer does not have a drive capable of creating CDs or DVDs. Contact HP support."

PROBLEM SOLVED

:thumbup

Finally, I am able to create the recovery discs for my notebook.

I just re-wrote Ahmed's friend's D drive bootsector on my D drive(recovery drive) using HDhack.

Here is the link to download the D drive bootsector http://ultrashare.net/hosting/fl/dcd3f5f89...riend_s_sectors

I did not change anything in C drive bootsector or any mbr files. And please take a backup before rewriting.

I got rid of that error ("This computer does not have a drive capable of creating CDs or DVDs. Contact HP support.") by re installing Cyberlink DVD Suit.

Note : My notebook is Compaq V3780TU

Edited by Niru

I found were the problem with "recovery partition could not be located" is buried by HP.

Analysing boot sector drive D: from Ahmad2080 friend in compare with mine ---> there must be a word RECOVERY at offcet 1F0.

Adding this code with HEX editor and saving it to disk using HDhack (no need rebooting) I start Recovery Disk Creator and voila - I have a set of recovery disks. ;)

tips:

* Since SoftThinks uses Roxio open it and change speed defaults to x1. May be helpfull with older DVD-RW.

* Disable any virtual CD/DVD

* Check presence of boot.sdi in folder SMINST\bootdisk\boot\ - if not there is a copy in c:\windows\boot\

* To repeat burning run the code from command prompt or make .cmd file

del /a:h d:\hpcd.sys c:\windows\sminst\hpcd.sys

* Or while looking at writing disk progress bar open c:\temp folder and copy .iso file to safe location

* HDhack from post #88 or #57 HEX editor HxD

Edited by Snack

SUCCESS SUCCESS SUCCESS

PROBLEM SOLVED

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Finally, I am able to create the recovery discs for my notebook.

I just re-wrote Ahmed's friend's D drive bootsector on my D drive(recovery drive) using HDhack.

Here is the link to download the D drive bootsector http://ultrashare.net/hosting/fl/dcd3f5f89...riend_s_sectors

I did not change anything in C drive bootsector or any mbr files. And please take a backup before rewriting.

I got rid of that error ("This computer does not have a drive capable of creating CDs or DVDs. Contact HP support.") by re installing Cyberlink DVD Suit.

Note : My notebook is Compaq V3780TU

I'm glad you solved the problem Niru. I'm surprised that my friend's recovery disk bootsector could fix your recovery partition in a completely different notebook. :rolleyes:

I hope it works with Snacks as well, although I beleive that his problem is some different.

@Niro

Does the F11 function at booting up work??

As Tripredacus and jaclaz said, the problem hasn't been solved yet.

@Tripredacus

1. The Boot Sector contains the MBR and other stuff.

Great. Now everything is obvious.

5. Don't get us wrong, we are glad you were able to make your recovery media. Helping out other users is our number 1 priority (other than keeping out the spam lol). The point that Jaclaz was trying to make earlier (I agree as well) is that while you have somewhat solved your problem, you used a workaround and not a real fix. So our initial issue, how to properly resolve a broken recovery partition is still unsolved. The main reason is that you are fortunate to know someone else with a similar computer to you. Many people are not so fortunate, so we still wish to know the true answer, so that we may help others who do not have access to the same model computer.

I agree totally. :sneaky:

ahmad2080 had taken the proper precautions prior to doing any fiddling, and (correct me if I am wrong) was willing to accept the fact that this process could render his computer unusable without purchasing the recovery media from HP.

Actually, I thought that the baching up my MBR and boot sectors + the bootable USBStick can return everything to normal whenever I need to. :ph34r:

7. The F11 problem is caused by the fact that the MBR.INI does not have the code in it that tells it what to do with the partitions. This may be something that is added into the Boot Sector at the time of recovery partition creation.

mmmmm,I'll try writing the whole 16 boot sectors from my friend's recoverydisk on mine. If it didn't work I'll try another Full recovery and see what wil happen.

To resolve F11 need those 16 clasters from your friend and some experiments with SoftThinks software, that was implemented in an unusual mode by HP.

I take a look on mine 16s and saw mass of zero's instead of info.

As I posted above I found a hidden HP folder with a patch.cmd file in it. After some modifications to make it point to MBRinst (MBR.exe) in folder C:\windows\SMINST and run it I get error in a log file: "Sorry, could not add Auto Failover to Vista's BCD"

After all F11 working .... with reboot as a result. Normal booting remain unaffected.