Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HP Notebook: The recovery partition could not be found

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,716 posts

Donator

That's a weird option there, the DMI to drive 1... because the DMI is actually in the CMOS so thats pretty confusing to me. :wacko:
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Snack

Snack

• 21 posts
From HP site:
Preparing the hard drive for recovery using the recovery discs (Manufacturer Menu)

NOTE: Please be aware that using your system's recovery discs may take two hours, and that using discs ordered directly from HP may take four to six hours and include several restarts.

1. Insert recovery disc 1 into the notebook and restart.
2. When the PC restarts, it reads from the Recovery CD/DVD, and displays a screen of options (typically R, F, and Q.)
3. Press and hold the ctrl key, and press the Backspace key. The Manufacturer Menu is displayed.
4. Select option 4, "Clear the partition table."
The following message appears: No Operating System Installed or Partition Corrupted Press "R" to perform a full system recovery.
5. Do not press R. Instead, press and hold down ctrl , then press Backspace to bring up the Tools Menu.
6. Select option 5, "Erase the Master Boot Record of drive."
The following message appears: No Operating System Installed or Partition Corrupted press "R" to perform a full system recovery.

NOTE: If there are no partitions, the following message appears: No MBR or master boot record found. Continue using these steps .

7. Do not press R. Instead press and hold down ctrl , then press Backspace to bring up the Tools Menu.
8. Select option 6, "wipe all sectors of drive."
An Erasing Hard Drive progress bar will appear. This process may take longer than one hour to complete, depending on the size of the hard drive. When the hard drive is completely erased, the following message is displayed:
No Operating System Installed or Partition Corrupted Press "R" to perform a full system recovery.
9. Press R to begin the automatic System Recovery process.

I have no "...screen of options (typically R, F, and Q.)..." while booting from DVD. Simple press the key combination above on black screen with cursor blinking on top left corner.

Edited by Snack, 15 April 2009 - 09:35 AM.

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
@Snack
It's sad to hear that the recovery disks you made cannot restore your system to factory.

I still didn't burn my recovery disks to tell if they work or not.
Why didn't I burn them?!! Actually, I wanted to be sure that everything is OK, then burn the disks.
And this is the problem......"EVERYTHING IS OK"!!! :ph34r:

After restoring my Vista OS, I wanted to make a full recovery to see if the F11 function works after recovery or not.

To make a full recovery there are three ways:
  • F8 boot menu and then choose Repair my computer
  • Set the recovery partition as Active and reboot
  • Using the F11 function

NONE of the three methods were capable of doing a full recovery.
Both options 1 & 2 give me the error message
A disk read error occured 
Press  Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
and sometimes by altering the recovery partition boot sectors I get an error saying that the boot manager has failed because of a missing or corrupted device and give an erro code something like : 0x00000212
Somehow, I was able to run BCDEDIT.exe and capture the results :
Attached File  BCDEDIT.jpg   55.36KB   32 downloads
NOTE: The recovery partition in the attachment is C.

So, is there a way to do a full recovery? can I access the recovery partition using the Bootable USBStick by adding some codes like those for vista1 and vista2??

Snack

Snack

• 21 posts
All of those errors are from Windows Boot Manager that uses BCD (startup OS Cofigurations Base instead of boot.ini) and not an MBR messages.

So the problem is incorrect booting into WinRE image (witch is placed on Recovery D:) using this messed configurations files/registry entries.
That's why I would like try import a working branche of registry HKLM\BCD or C:\boot\bcd itself. I think that is hardware independent and can be copyed from any working HP computer running Vista.

In fact Jaclaz is right - there are many of undewater stones and some trics from HP in MBR. But on the other hand F11 routine from MBR working and stops in this BCD brushwood.

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
I'll try to upload a working BCD from both C: and D: soon. [not from my notebook of course]

In the meanwhile, I'll try some BCD programs to fix this booting problem.

Snack

Snack

• 21 posts
This topic win a popularity award also!!

Ahmad2080 I found two of them freeware: VistaBootPRO 3.3 and EasyBCD 1.7.2 and bulletin from Microsoft :)

From Acronis.com can be dowloaded Acronis Disc Director v2.161 that is for Vista (previous versions does not!!) to resize partitions and retreview contents even of HP recovery hidden section directly from Windows.

Solution:
Safe way to resize and create partitions on HP PC's is using Vista disc managenent.
Acronis and many others when resizing change bootsectors and replace it with a standart (warning for D: - you can lose a RECOVERY stamp and see in this case "...not found" message while trying to start recovery or CD creator)

Edited by Snack, 21 April 2009 - 12:10 PM.

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
mmm, I've tried BCD programs already but.....no results obtained.

The whole problem now is in the BCD.......

I have the BCD file in C from my friend's notebook but I can't open it to read......

Is there a software to do so?

I've just figured out what does HPRM-BCDFix.cmd in C:\programfiles\SMINST do.....
It adds the option "Repair your computer" in the "Advanced boot menu" when F8 is pressed at startup.
But when I choose that option I get the Boot loader error message.
So the link between the "Repair your computer" option and the recovery partition is still missed

Edited by ahmad2080, 16 April 2009 - 06:44 AM.

Snack

Snack

• 21 posts
Hi ahmad2080!
All you have to do is just copy this file to USB drive and post it. To put it in place need to reboot from disc with WinPE environment, renaming existent one to bcd.old. Because this file is a part of Registry and couln't be modified instead of regedit or special soft posted above.

note:
Those programs can't open a standalone file. Only make backup and some cosmetic changes that not siutable for "chosen" HP users. :) I'm not sure but if you rename a BCD file to xxx.bcd and then try to restore backup with VistabootPRO from this one would it be a solution??

edit:
It seems like EasyBCD has this ability only for viewing and editing but not for import as current.
Another way is open regedit from cmd and export/import NKLM\BCD section into a .reg file to/from USB drive.

Warning:
Editing BCD is a dangerous game - don't use utilities unles you have to.

Edited by Snack, 21 April 2009 - 12:57 PM.

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
I've done alot of work here and got nothing...

I need some experience with BCD...
I've used bcdedit.exe and created a logical BCD......but it doesn't work

Can anybody here point me to the right direction?

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,716 posts

Donator

OK, all you guys that want to try something out to restore the F10 or F11 or whatever key functionality to your partitions can try this. I cannot garauntee that this will work!

First, you need to have access to Windows or a PE environment. Otherwise you won't be able to do this.

1. Make a folder on your C drive to put your files in. ie: c:\mbrtools
2. Download PARTINFO from Terabyte Unlimited. Extract it into c:\mbrtools.
3. Download MBR Utility from Terabyte Unlimited. Extract it into c:\mbrtools.
4. Open a command prompt (elevated if need be) and switch to the c:\mbrtools folder.
5. Run the following command: "partinfw > partinfo.txt". This will make a text file in c:\mbrtools. Open it up and you will get something like this:

PARTINFW 1.11
Copyright (c) 1996-2008 TeraByte, Inc.  All rights reserved.

Run date: 01/09/2006 0:52

====================================================================
		   MBR Partition Information (HD0 - 0x488BBB22)
		   (CHS: 1022/254/63) (WCHS: 9729/255/63)
+====+====+=============+====+=============+===========+===========+
| 0: | 80 |	0  32 33 |  7 | 1023 254 63 |	  2048 | 127426560 |
| 1: |  0 | 1023 254 63 | 17 | 1023 254 63 | 127428608 |  28870656 |
| 2: |  0 |	0   0  0 |  0 |	0   0  0 |		 0 |		 0 |
| 3: |  0 |	0   0  0 |  0 |	0   0  0 |		 0 |		 0 |
						   BOOT SECTOR INFORMATION
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
File System ID: 0x7   LBA: 2048  Total Sectors: 127426560   ID: 0x1
						  Jump: EB 52 90
					  OEM Name: NTFS	
				 Bytes Per Sec: 512
				 Sec Per Clust: 8
				   Res Sectors: 0
						Zero 1: 0x0
						Zero 2: 0x0
						  NA 1: 0x0
						 Media: 0xF8
						Zero 3: 0x0
				 Sec Per Track: 63
						 Heads: 255
				   Hidden Secs: 2048
						  NA 2: 0x0
						  NA 3: 0x800080
				 Total Sectors: 0x07985FFF
					   MFT LCN: 0x0C0000
				  MFT Mirr LCN: 0x07985FF
				 Clust Per FRS: 0xF6
			  Clust Per IBlock: 0x1
					 Volume SN: 0x72B4864EB48614AF
					  Checksum: 0x0
					 Boot Flag: 0xAA55
File System ID: 0x17   LBA: 127428608  Total Sectors: 28870656   ID: 0x2
				   Hidden Secs: 127428608
				 Total Sectors: 0x01B887FF
				  MFT Mirr LCN: 0x01B887F
					 Volume SN: 0x785C98125C97C8F0

The above code is from my testing Recovery partition project. The first drive has a File System ID of 0x7, which is NTFS. The Second partition has a file system id of 0x17. The 7 still means NTFS, but the 1 before it means it is hidden. NOTE: If both your System and Recovery partitions have the same File System ID, this may not work!

6. Run the following: mbr 0 /install selm 10 11 "Press F11 for Recovery" 0x7 0x17

Here is a run down of the options in the above command:
mbr = the program name
0 = the disk ID (Disk 0 should be your boot hard drive)
/install selm = the command needed, do not change this.
10 = timeout in seconds. This is the length of time the keypress message will stay on the screen. I use 5 seconds myself.
11 = The function key number. I use the F11 key for testing, so this number is 11. If you want to use a different function key, type in a different number here.
"Press F11 for Recovery" = Make sure to use the quotes around this. This is the message that appears prior to booting the system partition. You can make it say anything you want.
0x7 = the type of partition the recovery partition will be changed to. This must match the file system that is currently on it.
0x17 = references the recovery partitions File System ID that PARTINFO displayed. This is designed presuming you only have 1 partition of this type on the computer.

There are some additional caveats to using this method. The primary one is that after you hit F11 and it boots into the recovery partition, your PC will not be able to go back into Windows unless you run another command. If you can gain access to the command prompt in the recovery partition, you can do this, or if you have a WinPE on a USB or CD you can do it also, but you need to put the MBR.EXE onto that media! You may be able to access the MBR.EXE on the C drive where you saved it, but it would be safe to have it elsewhere as well. After booting into the recovery partition, you need to run the following:

MBR 0 /reset

This resets the Master Boot record changes that pressing F11 changed. If you cannot do this from the recovery partition, you can boot to a WinPE CD and run the command that way. So you need to run this before you can get back into Windows.

If PARTINFO does not show that your Recovery Partition is hidden (ie starts with 0x1) you could try to hide it with MBR.EXE. However, this will hide it from Windows and you cannot unhide it using Diskpart. Diskpart will not show that it is hidden! That command is:

MBR 0 1 /H
or to unhide:
MBR 0 1 /UH

If you hide your recovery partition (so that PARTINFO says 0x17) then you can use the command to add in the F11 key. You can even run this command from within Windows, but the changes will not be in effect until a reboot when the PC reads the MBR again.

Only other issues is that if your BIOS has its Boot Sector Virus detection turned on, it may give you a warning on your reboot. So if your PC has this option, turn it off during testing. I doubt Ahmad had this since it would have given him an error with all the testing he has done so far.

And lastly, I will add again that I do not have access to an HP or its recovery software as they do it. So I can't be very specific on a case to case basis.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
At last........I've launched the recovery console.. :thumbup

How did I do that?... It took all the day to restore my system to factory, and at last, another success...

I just hope that this fixes both F8 and F11.....

However, here is how I launched WinPE:

http://technet.micro...;/cc721886.aspx

and here is a snippet from their site.

To create an entry to boot a WIM image from hard disk

• Create the {ramdisktoptions} object in your BCD store by specifying the following. Drive should be the drive that contains the image.
    bcdedit /create {ramdiskoptions} /d "Ramdisk options"
    bcdedit /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice partition=Drive
    bcdedit /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath bootboot.sdi
  • Create a new boot application entry by specifying:
    bcdedit /create /d "Boot from WIM" /application OSLOADER
  • This will return an identifier (GUID) for the newly created entry. This new entry will be referred to as {GUID} in the rest of this procedure. Next specify the following:
    bcdedit /set {GUID} device ramdisk=[c:]sourcesboot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
    bcdedit /set {GUID} path windowssystem32winload.exe
    bcdedit /set {GUID} osdevice ramdisk=[c:]sourcesboot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
    bcdedit /set {GUID} systemroot windows
  • If you are booting into Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE), then you will also need to specify:
    bcdedit /set {GUID} winpe yes
    bcdedit /set {GUID} detecthal yes
  • Next specify the following to add your new entry to the display order:
    bcdedit /displayorder {GUID} /addlast

When I tried the above procedure...it didn't work.
Here is how it worked with me (just a small C to D modification):

• Create the {ramdisktoptions} object in your BCD store by specifying the following. Drive should be the drive that contains the image.
    bcdedit /create {ramdiskoptions} /d "Ramdisk options"
    bcdedit /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice partition=D:
  • bcdedit /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath bootboot.sdi
  • Create a new boot application entry by specifying:
    bcdedit /create /d "Boot from WIM" /application OSLOADER
  • This will return an identifier (GUID) for the newly created entry. This new entry will be referred to as {GUID} in the rest of this procedure. Next specify the following:
    bcdedit /set {GUID} device ramdisk=[D:]sourcesboot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
    bcdedit /set {GUID} path windowssystem32winload.exe
    bcdedit /set {GUID} osdevice ramdisk=[D:]sourcesboot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
    bcdedit /set {GUID} systemroot windows
  • If you are booting into Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE), then you will also need to specify:
    bcdedit /set {GUID} winpe yes
    bcdedit /set {GUID} detecthal yes
  • Next specify the following to add your new entry to the display order:
    bcdedit /displayorder {GUID} /addlast
I hope that this is ends my endless laptop story :wacko: ......

EDIT: I'm sorry, I forgot to upload bcdedit.exe.......here it is: Attached File  bcdedit.rar   75.43KB   22 downloads

Edited by ahmad2080, 16 April 2009 - 03:58 PM.

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
OK....Here are my final results:
  • F8 returns to duty :rolleyes: and works perfectly
  • F11 shows the error message :
    A disk read error occured[*]Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

When I press Ctrl+Alt+Del it doesn't respond....

So the major question now is : Should I burn the recovery disks now?? or try to recover the F11 function by applying another system recovery (This time by setting the recovery partition as Active)???

What I've understood from all the previous 7 pages in this thread is that the F11 hotkey is completely related to the MBR which cannot affect a recovery operation from recovery Disks.....which means that it's safe now to burn the disks, Right?

Snack

Snack

• 21 posts
One more thing to do

Copy boot\boot.sdi from the Windows Vista installation DVD (C:\WINDOWS\Boot\DVD\PCAT) to d:\boot directory (By default this folder is hidden in Windows Explorer)

Edited by Snack, 16 April 2009 - 05:39 PM.

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

One more thing to do

Copy boot\boot.sdi from the Windows Vista installation DVD to d:\boot directory (By default this folder is hidden in Windows Explorer)

You mean the recovery DVD that I still didn't create??? And what's the point? You are thinkiing that this may solve the F11 problem?

Edited by ahmad2080, 16 April 2009 - 05:16 PM.

Snack

Snack

• 21 posts
Found one more solution :)
(not completed yet)

I think at this point left only users with completely destroyed HP recovery system :wacko:
So you can (must) clear all traces that was made by various (illegal from HP devlopers point of view) software to PC.

Function key F11 from boot menu.
to restore it working

First step: download and burn Vista repair CD
Boot from this media and do Startup Repair --> and you get clear BCD file along with restored to standart MBR 0 sector.

Check if bootsector D: have a RECOVERY marker (Post #115)

Further steps:
To be able to boot into recovery WinRE with F11 try this workaround:
Unzip this command set to C\HP\RECOVERY\BIN Attached File  Cmd.rar   1.99KB   61 downloadsCopy to this folder file cmd.exe from c:\windows\system32 (to simplify execution)
note:
Scripts need some redactions to be pointed to SMINST directory (replace location) and MBRins file (may be renamed) see post #149

* run WAUfix_new.bat from the set --> it will repair F11 & F8 function in MBR and fix system BCD
* run cmd.exe
* copy and paste to cmd window this script (to be sure the file boot.sdi is present on D:\boot)

xcopy /r C:\WINDOWS\Boot\DVD\PCAT\boot.sdi d:\boot\boot.sdi

Reboot and press F11 --> you should see Softhink restore menu.

If not
Caution: this BCD from my Pavilion Recovery partition!!! Restore it from bak if this tip doesn't working!!!
Unzip to the same folder: Attached File  Working_D.rar   4.39KB   39 downloads
* copy and paste to cmd window this script

xcopy /r d:\boot\bcd d:\boot\bcd.bak
xcopy /r working_d.bcd d:\boot\bcd

Following this at last I felt into SoftThinks Recovery menu.

Solution:
Now I succesfully restored my HP from discs created in posts #115 #125

Edited by Snack, 21 April 2009 - 01:25 PM.

Snack

Snack

• 21 posts
Tripredacus

That's a weird option there, the DMI to drive 1...

Take a look on sector 8 in MBR from HP at offset 0x1000 is there a SOFTHINK label with all PC configuration?

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
Snack, I don't have WAUfix.bat in C:\HP\recovery\bin
What's your noteboook model?

F11 in my case, makes the recovery partition active..but doesn't load the recovery manager...
Also, when I executed MBRInst.exe, this was the result:
Attached File  mbrinst.jpg   48.19KB   43 downloads

So F11 CAN locate the recovery partition and shows the error message "disk read error".......
AND MBRInst.exe CAN see my recovery partition but can't update its boot record.......
:wacko:

I just want to know who is the suspect here??? MBR? BOOT SECTORS?
or it's all about NTDLR and BCD??

If the only purpose of F11 hotkey is to set D: as active, then it's working fine.
But what then? If a partition is active it should be able to load \windows\system32\winload.exe which exists only in the boot.WIM file....is that why the "disk read error" message appears?

Can somebody please clarify the root of my problem here? :(

I'm LOST.

Edited by ahmad2080, 17 April 2009 - 09:42 AM.

Snack

Snack

• 21 posts
1. Do you have this file in D:\boot directory?
If not > copy and paste this script to elevated command prompt

2. Check disk D: for errors

right click on disc D: > properties > tools > check now > automatically fix file system errors

3. Do you have C:\windows\SMINST directory with mbr.dll there? (Where Softhink keep files)

4. Is there HPRM-BCDFix.cmd C:\HP\recovery\bin?
If not > upload it from post #140 along with WAUfix.bat

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

1. Do you have this file in D:\boot directory?
If not > copy and paste this script to elevated command prompt

2. Check disk D: for errors

right click on disc D: > properties > tools > check now > automatically fix file system errors

3. Do you have C:\windows\SMINST directory with mbr.dll there? (Where Softhink keep files)

4. Is there HPRM-BCDFix.cmd C:\HP\recovery\bin?
If not > upload it from post #140 along with WAUfix.bat

• yes, boot.sdi already exists in d:\boot
  • There are no errors
  • The SMINST folder in my case is in C:\program files not windows
  • no, HPRM-BCDFix.cmd exists only in SMINST folder
What's giong around in your mind ? :blink:

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,716 posts

Donator

Did you try my method with mbr.exe ahmad?
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Did you try my method with mbr.exe ahmad?

Actually, I hoped that I won't be in need to use mbr.exe.......

The last time I messed with MBR made me Suffer to undo the changes I made....

However, I'll try this one.

Here is my partinfo.txt :
PARTINFW 1.11

Run date: 04/17/2009 21:00

MBR Partition Information (HD0 - 0x5BAE7BDD)
		   (CHS: 1022/254/63) (WCHS: 38913/255/63)
| 0: | 80 |	0  32 33 |  7 | 1023 254 63 |	  2048 | 602947576 |
| 1: |  0 | 1023 254 63 |  7 | 1023 254 63 | 602949632 |  22187713 |
						   BOOT SECTOR INFORMATION
File System ID: 0x7   LBA: 2048  Total Sectors: 602947576   ID: 0x1
				 Total Sectors: 0x023F03FF7
				  MFT Mirr LCN: 0x023F03FF
					 Volume SN: 0xC05669A156699944
File System ID: 0x7   LBA: 602949632  Total Sectors: 22187713   ID: 0x2
				   Hidden Secs: 602974208
				 Total Sectors: 0x015227FF
				  MFT Mirr LCN: 0x015287F
					 Volume SN: 0x8E02A92E2A91BE9

As you can see, both partitions have the same file system ID.
So I used mbr.exe as you said to hide D:, and now this is the new partinfo.txt:
PARTINFW 1.11

Run date: 04/17/2009 21:12

MBR Partition Information (HD0 - 0x5BAE7BDD)
		   (CHS: 1022/254/63) (WCHS: 38913/255/63)
| 0: | 80 |	0  32 33 |  7 | 1023 254 63 |	  2048 | 602947576 |
| 1: |  0 | 1023 254 63 | 17 | 1023 254 63 | 602949632 |  22187713 |
						   BOOT SECTOR INFORMATION
File System ID: 0x7   LBA: 2048  Total Sectors: 602947576   ID: 0x1
				 Total Sectors: 0x023F03FF7
				  MFT Mirr LCN: 0x023F03FF
					 Volume SN: 0xC05669A156699944
File System ID: 0x17   LBA: 602949632  Total Sectors: 22187713   ID: 0x2
				   Hidden Secs: 602974208
				 Total Sectors: 0x015227FF
				  MFT Mirr LCN: 0x015287F
					 Volume SN: 0x8E02A92E2A91BE9

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After restarting windows the D partition file system returned again to 0x7!!!!!! :blink:

Should I proceed the other steps?

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

I executed both commands in one windows session:

MBR 0 1 /H
mbr 0 /install selm 10 11 "Press F11 for Recovery" 0x7 0x17

and then restarted the computer and pressed F11......

The same error message appeared :
A disk read error occured 
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

BTW, the recovery partition automatically returns to its original file system ID 0x7, so all what I had to do to boot into windows again was setting C: as Active using mbrwizd.exe in my bootable USBStick.....

Using the command MBR 0 /reset did not erase the edited mbr portions but erased my original MBR and my system became unbootable again......wait a second...
This is strange, now I have to press F11 to boot Vista, otherwise it says that I don't have a bootable device.!!! :blink:
It doesn't matter, I restored my original mbr again using HDhacker...

I just want to know who is the suspect here??? MBR? BOOT SECTORS?
or it's all about NTDLR and BCD??

If the only purpose of F11 hotkey is to set D: as active, then it's working fine.
But what then? If a partition is active it should be able to load \windows\system32\winload.exe which exists only in the boot.WIM file....is that why the "disk read error" message appears?

I really want to know the answer of these questiions.....

Any more ideas??

EDIT:" I don't beleive in HP special MBR code to load WINRE using the F11 function.........IMHO, all what we need now is a way to load D:\boot\boot.wim using the F11 function.

This explins what I mean : Attached File  possible_.JPG   13.39KB   28 downloads

Edited by ahmad2080, 17 April 2009 - 02:40 PM.

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
My startup process:
http://rapidshare.co...tartup.doc.html
"Sorry for the bad resolution"

Snack

Snack

• 21 posts
All routine in MBR has only purpose - set keys to pointing on partition bootloader - which wake up bootmgr with options read from local BCD (three different ones - for C:, for D: and for DVD)
I got wiped BCD along with MBR for many times on C: and in every cause, using Vista Restore CD and WUAfix (modified), make restored normal boot process with all those keys and menues working well.

As I see you are stoped on BCD from D:.
If objects in BCD is incorrect you will not be able to boot :huh: looking errors (MS only knows) even Blue Screen.

1. Look for sure if present signature RECOVERY in bootsector D:
2. Edit WUAfix script (find and replace "windows" with "program files")
3. I there in SMINST folder somewhat like mbr.dll or mbrinst.exe?
4. If mbrinst.exe present instead of mbr.dll (my PC) then edit WUAfix the same way as in p.2

Edited by Snack, 17 April 2009 - 04:05 PM.

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
Ok,
Thanks all of you for your time and effort....

The F11 problem has not been solved [nothing worked], and I will give up at this part....

So here is what I'm gonna do:
Burn the recovery disks and then recover my system using them.....

If the disks booted and loaded the recovery manager, that'll be enough...

If not, there is a trick to burn them again....so I'll return again to the unanswered questions " Primary function of F11 " and " Files needed to boot from an active partition with windows vista on it" and search for their answers..... :ph34r:

Thanks,
Ahmad :hello:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN