Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HP Notebook: The recovery partition could not be found

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,921 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I have not seen a time when a partitions ID changed back by itself. Perhaps there is an integrity check done at some point by the HP software that changes it? Or, the BIOS has a failsafe option enabled, such as a write-protect or anti-virus option.

Not sure what to do since both partitions are id 0x7.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ahmad2080

ahmad2080

• PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 27-March 09
Um, First of all......I'm sorry for this large delay in my reply....

I should have informed you people earlier..

However, just to close this case that appears to be still opened and unanswered, I'm gonna say what I'm gonna say :whistle: ...

The recovery disks loaded the recovery manager which gave me two option (unlike the recovery manager loaded from F8):
-Restore your computer to factory settings
-Restore your system to factory settings.

I really don't know the difference, I choosed the "system" recovery option anyway.[which seems to be more general]

After the procces finished, everything returned to normal.....F11 works and so does F8...

So everything is perfect now.......
and the WHOLE problem is solved...

I saved a copy from my MBR and bootsectors in case of any other future problems.

Thanks again......

Ahmad

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,921 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I've recently discovered how to monitor the partition creation process, but I haven't the time to play with it.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Cobravox

Cobravox
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 16-February 04
Hi all,

Does anyone know exactly how to automate hidden recovery partition with option to hit function-key during post,
which will activate the 'restore to factory'-process? I read all the discussions, but there is no full and clear
guide/explanation.

What I want to do:

Make a winpe 2.0 cd/dvd which creates 2 partitions: 1 hidden recovery with fixed size (4GB), 1 system partiton with
the rest of the available size.
Afterwards with free available tool from Terabyte mbr.exe (windows-version) make the function-key available
which in turn will activate the recovery process if function-key is pressed during POST. After factory wim-image is restored, recovery partition has to be made hidden again and rebooted to the restored system-partition.
I'm aware of diskpart script and can create the partitions automatically , but get stuck at switching from one partition to another with Terabyte-tool. I use sysprep-images on a daily base and it would be awesome if I can do the same as roalty OEM-companies with recovery partition but using free available software (WAIK/OPK) from Microsoft and Terabyte. Next step will be to create an application form with different options to select:

- Create recovery-cd/dvd with or without wim-image included
- Create factory recovery partition
- Restore factory image (user data will be destroyed)
- Restore image without destroying user-data)
- Start diagnostic Tools (UBCD/UBCD4WINDOWS/WINBUILDER)
- Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB, Install from USB without Booting from USB

ToUsMiC

ToUsMiC
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 13-February 05
Hello I have a similar problem.

Hello,

Being in possession of a EliteBook 8530w and Pro running Vista X64, I decided to install Windows 7 in x64 version. Despite some small configuration problem, I restore my voullu Vista Pro x64 using the recovery partition (F11). Unfortunately I can no longer possible to use the recovery partition, Windows 7 is probably a boot sector. I've got Vista x64 Pro en version DVD but unfortunately it is an English version / Finnish / ect ... except french. As against partition on my recovery I have the French version, but how to use my recovery? I know that Dell there is a small app that allowed you put the amoracage the recovery partition, but at HP I can not find anywhere. I'm pretty enmbété because apparently I can not rajoutter files Language Pro on Vista x64. If someone has a solution for my problem would be really nice.

Error on F11 : 0xc000000f

Thanks for all help me.

Ps: I suppose that the partition starts on a recevory WinPE, but what is the file that runs everything in the picture if dessu? Personal car if I can do this manually is not a problem, but I do not know what aps file is run ...

Ps: sorry my bad english.

chuboy

chuboy
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 26-July 09
I had the same problem way back months ago. The recovery manager can't create the recovery discs.
So this is what i did so that i can make use of that crappy partition which was bundled and was not working.

If you might be asking why I posted it just now?

It's because I'm still dead desperate that I'd be able to create those DVD Recovery discs and still "googling" for it.

1. Go to control panel.
2. Open Administrative Tools
3. Computer Management
4. Look for Storage.
5. Click Disk Management
6. Wait for your RECOVERY(D:) partition to appear
7. Right click it and select "Mark Partition as active"
8. Restart your laptop
9. Upon Boot Make sure to press F11 and F10 to make it work or whichever key you need to press to activate the Recovery Console.
10. And before doing this, completely BACK-UP your files first as the recovery process would put your notebook back into it's factory state.

Hope this helps!

chuboy

LaptoniC

LaptoniC

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined 23-September 04
Hi,
I have similar problem. I read all of the posts but still couldn't make a recovery DVD in case of error. Let me tell you my position.

I have Pavilion dv5-1102tx laptop. I bought it from one of the computer shops. I told them to install XP instead of vista. I really didn't have any idea that it didn't have installation media. Anyway, I have a computer now with HP_RECOVERY volume is intact. I can access from XP and all files seems ok. However I think they changed its boot sector in funny way. Because it is active drive XP's ntdetect ntldr is in in this drive. When I boot from XP HP_RECOVERY partition is D drive. However if I boot with Vista based bootable CD, its name changed to C:

I have tried to change MBR of HP_RECOVERY with the ones ahmad2080 posted. One time, when I hit F11 I just saw blinking underline and it got stuck, I used another one and this time it said Disk read error. Is there a anyway for me to make this recovery DVD. I am not thinking to install vista at anytime. I just want to have a insurance in case I need to install quick OS to make job done.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,921 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

OK I've got some questions, because I am not entirely certain I understood what you posted.

1. Did this notebook originally have Vista installed on it at the store?
2. Is there a Vista COA (sticker with serial number) attached to the computer or is there only an XP COA?
3. Post the part number on the COA (not the CD Key!) it should start with an X, for example X14-11111.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

LaptoniC

LaptoniC

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined 23-September 04
1. Yes it was. It was windows vista home premium I guess. I just told them to install XP.
2. At the back it has vista sticker with key
3. Part number is X14-39706
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,921 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Reconstructing the MBR was very difficult for us all in the previous cases. However, HP does have tools on their site that will attempt to fix the MBR for you, or in your case, the BCD. Take a look here:
http://www.msfn.org/...p...st&p=848181

Is your computer still under warranty?
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

LaptoniC

LaptoniC

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined 23-September 04
My computer is under warranty but don't want to deal with them. I thought it was easy. I just wanted to have some insurance. Anyway, thanks for reply.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Frankie99

Frankie99
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-August 09
Hi, I'm using the HP Pavilion dv6508tx. Last two days i have do a clean install of window 7 in my laptop. After the installation i have found that my f11 recovery not function anymore. However, i have make the recovery disc before doing the clean install of window 7. My question is am i possible to recreate the HP recovery partition using the HP recovery disc that i have created. Advanced thanks to every help! :)

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

My question is am i possible to recreate the HP recovery partition using the HP recovery disc that i have created. Advanced thanks to every help! :)

Won't swear to this, but I think the answer is yes. Check for any options when booting from the CD or running from Windows. Cancel it if it looks like no options for Complete HDD Restore (?).

Try at you own risk as I am not totally positive...

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Frankie99

Frankie99
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-August 09

My question is am i possible to recreate the HP recovery partition using the HP recovery disc that i have created. Advanced thanks to every help! :)

Won't swear to this, but I think the answer is yes. Check for any options when booting from the CD or running from Windows. Cancel it if it looks like no options for Complete HDD Restore (?).

Try at you own risk as I am not totally positive...

Inside the recovery when finish loaded the recovery disc, there are no advance option to only install the specific program especially HP recovery manger to recreate or enable the recovery partition. Any other suggestion?

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,921 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

HP has a tool on their site that they say will fix the F11 function, but it won't recreate the partition if you deleted it.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Frankie99

Frankie99
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-August 09

HP has a tool on their site that they say will fix the F11 function, but it won't recreate the partition if you deleted it.

So there is clearly no way for me to create the recovery partition from the recovery disc by any means?

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,921 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

So there is clearly no way for me to create the recovery partition from the recovery disc by any means?

I can't say for certain. My company makes our own recovery discs and not from the SoftThinks software. Hmmmm but thanks for making me think of that! Alas, as I have never used their software to create a recovery disc (we only use it for HDD based recovery) I do not know what abilities it has.

However, I am going to wager a guess that the CD may actually have the ability to rebuild the partition, but it won't help you at all. See, when the partition (or the CD) boots, it checks for a USB key. If that USB key is present, it unlocks different options.

This USB key is encrypted and contains the licenses to create, recreate, or activate the recovery partition. Without that, even if the CD you have could recreate the partition, you wouldn't ever see that option.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Frankie99

Frankie99
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-August 09

I can't say for certain. My company makes our own recovery discs and not from the SoftThinks software. Hmmmm but thanks for making me think of that! Alas, as I have never used their software to create a recovery disc (we only use it for HDD based recovery) I do not know what abilities it has.

However, I am going to wager a guess that the CD may actually have the ability to rebuild the partition, but it won't help you at all. See, when the partition (or the CD) boots, it checks for a USB key. If that USB key is present, it unlocks different options.

This USB key is encrypted and contains the licenses to create, recreate, or activate the recovery partition. Without that, even if the CD you have could recreate the partition, you wouldn't ever see that option.

Thanks for the info! but anyway if later u mange to find out a trick to create the partition form the recovery disc please post it over here! Thanks!

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
DOH! I will not swear to this either, but past experience (AFAICR) says IF both partitions are "destroyed" (i.e. deleted - must be done with a Win9x boot floppy), then the Recovery Disks will recreate both (seeing that they are "missing").

Try at your own risk. Recommend backing the whole HDD to another HDD.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Frankie99

Frankie99
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-August 09
I have found the solution to recreate the HP recovery partition only if u have the recovery disc with u. For me, the HP recovery partition can be created if i choose the restore factory image in the HP recovery manager (which they use softhink). so back up your entire hard disk as it will reformat the hard drive and make it just like the first time u purchase the Laptop. After the recovery done, the HP recovery sector should be there!

Just a small reminder although i think everyone almost know this, once u have fresh install the window ( in my case which i fresh install the window 7 RC) will make ur HP recovery no longer work and DO NOT install the recovery manager that does not identical with ur laptop since the installation will be abort at the half way and ur recovery sector will be deleted together with the non identical HP recovery Manager.

If i have make any wrong statement here, please feel free to correct me as i only write out my personal experience on my HP Pavilion dv6508tx.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,921 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

You may be correct Frankie. My company does not use the current version of the SoftThinks software, but an older ones. All HPs use the newer version, which makes use of the BCD and the MBR. I only have the beta of the current version but I haven't the time to play with it. My company never did sign up to use the newest version yet. With downsizing and all, it makes me do the job I was hired to do! :angry:
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

red11

red11
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 02-September 09
My dilemma: I own an HP dv41220us laptop. I was setting it up and realized that sfc /scannow was reporting unrepairable errors in regards to settings.ini of Windows Sidebar. I assumed it was because I used a sidebar theming utility, so I did a factory fresh restore using HP's Recovery Manager.

Upon restart, and running sfc /scannow, the problem persisted: could not repair settings.ini. Apparently this is because of the way HP setup their Vista install with autounattend.xml -- it seems like thanks to their auto-add of such wonderful sidebar gadgets like WildTangent Reversi and Weatherbug through the autoattend.xml, sfc /scannow seems like it will report false errors indefinitely. (see here: http://support.micro....com/kb/947595)

I cannot seem to repair it and have tried everything, even taking ownership of these protected folders.

I thought that I would do a CLEAN INSTALL on partition C: without even TOUCHING my recovery partition using an OEM Vista disc I have laying around, but am glad I did my research because it would apparently screw up the MBR and bork my F11 restore functionality. In short, I'd rather live with the SFC errors than have no F11 restore ability on system boot.

I don't want to download 3rd-party MBR hacks, so I suppose I'm stuck, yes?

1-This seems like it might be my only hope -- can you provide a link?

2-Do you think this would even work to restore the functionality if I do a clean install of Vista, thus wiping the MBR tables?

3-It seems like 'system repair' of Vista also mess up the MBR, even if it could possibly fix the settings.ini issue:

to quote Snack a few pages back:
"Warning:
For lucky owners of HP PC's
If you are not in face with booting problem - use F11 or F8 option to repair your instalation.
Not even try to use above mentioned disc "Startup Repair" in that 100% legal utility from Microsoft to make some repair on HP computers because of those "advanced" HP software developers that don't take into account existence of any other soft (MS !!?) exept of theirs. You will lose the recovery F11 & F8 ability!!! wacko.gif "

Let me know... This frustrates me to the point of looking at Macs ;(

Thanks!!!

Edited by red11, 02 September 2009 - 10:11 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

My dilemma: I own an HP dv41220us laptop. I was setting it up and realized that sfc /scannow was reporting unrepairable errors in regards to settings.ini of Windows Sidebar. I assumed it was because I used a sidebar theming utility, so I did a factory fresh restore using HP's Recovery Manager.

Is this the error/problem? :unsure:
http://support.micro...kb/947595/en-us
http://www.winvistat...ow-t335892.html

jaclaz

red11

red11
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 02-September 09

Is this the error/problem? :unsure:
http://support.micro...kb/947595/en-us
http://www.winvistat...ow-t335892.html

jaclaz

The log is quite similar (but not identical). There are some mentions in mine to 'cannot reproject' also, but the core problem is the same: settings.ini is corrupted and I am unable to repair with SFC /scannow.

Again, I am fairly certain that the problem is that HP's factory restore image was poorly created in regards to sidebar gadgets: the fact that SFC can't complete drives me a bit crazy. I've tried pretty much everything, I think even deleting the aforementioned registry keys (but can try again)

I had thought the only way to fix it is a clean install using Vista media that I already have, but before I pulled the trigger I found out about this MBR nightmare. Obviously /sfc scannow should be able to run through smoothly, but I do not want to cripple my ability to use F11 on POST to restore the system.

I think a clean install of Vista would be better anyway, since it would get rid of all the HP bloatware and let me start from scratch.

Do you know a way to easily fix the settings.ini corruption? Even Microsoft's site only offers the wonderful advice of it can be 'safely ignored.' Or can I do a clean install while retaining the F11 restore functionality?

Please advise!

red11

red11
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 02-September 09
Also, jaclaz, since you have followed this post the whole way through and I am just now finding it, will the MBRINST method of restoring the F11 functionality work if I do a clean install of Vista on C:\ and don't delete the original Recovery partition (D:)? Or is it a crapshoot because of Softthinks protection measures?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users