Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope FINAL

• 4 weeks later...

RC just hit updated topic :)

Here's a good article on some of the improvements being implemented in 9.04, particularly ext4.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22671/1141/1/0/

I dont see Ext4 as such an improvement as long as there are buggy apps that may let you lose data if you use Ext4.

source:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sou...781/comments/45

I've been using the RC for a few days now...very solid build. Speedier startups than under Hardy and Intrepid. Much more stable then Intrepid on both of my machines - IMHO, Intrepid was the "Vista" of Ubuntu distributions, and Jaunty is shaping up to be the "7" made in response. Installation is a breeze under both live CD and the text-based "alternate" installation. I've only tried 32-bit - I should try the 64-bit, but I haven't yet.

For those of you considering waiting until the final version is released, I'd say to go ahead and download the RC and install it now - you'll be able to upgrade to the final version when it's released with little to no problems, plus you won't suffer through the delay in downloading from the repositories when everybody else is slamming them on release day.

since it is final and i dont need to use my 8.04/8.10 thread because this one exists,

what are peoples thoughts, i havent actually installed it yet because havent bothered restarting into linux but i will do that sometime soon

The Ubuntu team still hasn't added wireless Super G support and proper Lexmark printer support, so it's useless to me. Such a shame too, cause I'd really like to dump Windows except for gaming.

Edited by SyntaxError

• 1 month later...

Do any of you guys think that it would run comfortably on a P3 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB IDE HDD, GF4 MX440 64MB? I would not mind dual booting it with a heavily nLited version of windows xp or maybe even win 7 (since that could run ok on that system).

Do any of you guys think that it would run comfortably on a P3 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB IDE HDD, GF4 MX440 64MB? I would not mind dual booting it with a heavily nLited version of windows xp or maybe even win 7 (since that could run ok on that system).

Download and burn a Live CD and you can test it for yourself. With 512 MB of RAM, you should have enough RAM to get it running.

Download and burn a Live CD and you can test it for yourself. With 512 MB of RAM, you should have enough RAM to get it running.

Cheers will do. I think my ISP has an unmetered download for Ubuntu somewhere :)