Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Tihiy's tools

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Here are some lightweight tools made by me which you may have seen before, or may not.

It's mostly abadon-ware (no further developed), but all stable and useful.
They should work on 98/Me.

Network activity indicator
Posted Image
Nice applet blinking like 2000/XP does. Shows simple network stats and open ports.
Link: http://tihiy.net/files/IpTest.zip
Install: extract dll&exe into \windows\system, run install.reg and re-login.
Uninstall: run uninstall.reg, delete dll&exe from \windows\system.

Task manager
Posted Image
Simple process manager which hooks Ctrl-Shift-Esc (not resident).
Link: http://tihiy.net/files/Taskmgr.exe
Install: copy exe into windows\system, run taskmgr /install
Remove: run taskmgr /remove, delete exe

Add/Remove program alternative
Posted Image
I think it's clear what it does.
Link: http://tihiy.net/files/programs.zip

Shut down dialog alternative
Posted Image
XP-alike shutdown dialog. Accepts command line flags [-f] [-r|-s|-l] ([force] reboot/shutdown/logoff).
Link: http://tihiy.net/files/shutdown.exe

Edited by Tihiy, 03 October 2010 - 05:02 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

alive tools

GDI+ thumbnails
Posted Image
Nicer, faster thumbnails for image and video files. ME shell preffered.
New version. Now works as proper COM extension and doesn't break Office picture preview.
Requires GDI+ runtime.
Link: http://tihiy.net/files/gdipthms.zip
Install: copy dlls&exe into \windows\system. Run regsvr32 gdipthms.dll.
Remove: Run regsvr32 /u gdipthms.dll. Run regsvr32 /i browseui.dll. Delete gdipthms.dll&gdipsrv.exe from \windows\system.

How to enable Thumnails view for every folder in Windows 98 (not Me) shell
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ExtShellViews\{8BEBB290-52D0-11d0-B7F4-00C04FD706EC}]
"MenuName"="T&humbnails"
"HelpText"="Displays items using thumbnail view."
"TooltipText"="Thumbnails"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ExtShellFolderViews\{8BEBB290-52D0-11d0-B7F4-00C04FD706EC}]
"Attributes"=dword:60000000
"ISV"=hex(2):7b,38,42,45,42,42,32,39,30,2d,35,32,44,30,2d,31,31,64,30,2d,42,37,\
  46,34,2d,30,30,43,30,34,46,44,37,30,36,45,43,7d,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ExtShellFolderViews\{8BEBB290-52D0-11d0-B7F4-00C04FD706EC}\ISV]
@="{8BEBB290-52D0-11d0-B7F4-00C04FD706EC}"
Copy into .reg file, import it. Don't forget empty line at the end!

Edited by Tihiy, 03 October 2010 - 05:02 AM.

slhk

slhk

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts
Thanks for all these goodies! Would you consider to include them in RP9 as optional components?

BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
I've discovered long ago that, strangely enough, GDI+ works on Windows 95. Does this mean that there is a possibility for your COM extension to work with the Windows 95 shell?
Using Windows 95 OSR 2.5
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Posted ImageLight Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Would you consider to include them in RP9 as optional components?

No, although i consider to provide integration for them in RP9.

Does this mean that there is a possibility for your COM extension to work with the Windows 95 shell?

If 95 shell had those interfaces, then sure... But you can install 98/Me shell on Windows 95. :lol:

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts
Hi Tihiy.
Just trying out your tools, and I've run into a slight problem with a couple of them.

The Task Manager window is cut off at the bottom, and I can only see the top half of the "Description" field, the rest is lost. There seems to be no way of resizing the window or dragging its edges to reveal the missing information.

Similarly, the Add/Remove Programs replacement (which is amazing BTW!) has part of its detail cut off on the right hand side. Although you can drag the edges of this window, it doesn't reveal the missing information.

I am using large (120dpi) fonts.
Is that the problem and is there any way to fix it?
Thanks, Dave.
:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Is that the problem

Yes.

is there any way to fix it

No.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts

Is that the problem

Yes.

is there any way to fix it

No.

Thanks.
I was afraid that you were going to say that!
:(

Dual 3.2GHz Xeons with 4GB RAM. ATI Radeon X850 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts
Me again Tihiy!
:hello:
Just another query, this time agout your GDI+ thumbnails.
They seem to work fine, and I'm very impressed with the thumbnails from movie files!
:thumbup
I have a lot of Quicktime movies on my system, and some produce thumbnails and others don't, even though the movies use the same codec, which is slightly puzzling.

Anyway, my main qestion is actually about the size and aspect ratio of the preview thumbnails that appear in Windows Explorer when you select a file.
My system used to produce these for image files, as designed, and they were always the correct shape.
Now they seem to be a fixed size (set by the parameters in folder.htt) and are always that size, height and width, resulting in many image file previews being very distorted.
Is there anything that can be done about that?

Sorry to be a pain.

Queue

Queue

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Thanks.
I was afraid that you were going to say that!
:(

When making program interfaces, accouting for different font DPI settings is a headache/nightmare. An achemare if you will. =/

Honestly, accounting for any non-default window settings is very tough; any software I've made in the past decade's titlebar got shot to hell by Vista's titlebar changes. The wide buttons give far less space for the window's title text at the very least.

Queue

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts

.....my main qestion is actually about the size and aspect ratio of the preview thumbnails that appear in Windows Explorer when you select a file.
My system used to produce these for image files, as designed, and they were always the correct shape.
Now they seem to be a fixed size (set by the parameters in folder.htt) and are always that size, height and width, resulting in many image file previews being very distorted.
Is there anything that can be done about that?

Any feedback on this Tihiy?
:hello:

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Well, M$ is never clear in documentation. Fixed, re-download. :sneaky:

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts

Well, M$ is never clear in documentation. Fixed, re-download. :sneaky:

Thank you Tihiy!
:thumbup :thumbup
Works fine now.
Now that's what I call service, you're a star!
(As well as a genius of course.......)
:yes:

slhk

slhk

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts
Sorry to advise that I tried all the tools but none of them worked on my Chinese Win98. Are they not compatible with DBCS Windows?

Chozo4

Chozo4

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Small issue to note with the Network status monitor...

Object: Network Status Monitor
Issue: Error message every connection update
Cause: Occurs when there are no connections to pull up from the TcpTables

Posted Image

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Updated: added registry trick which allows to turn on thumbnails in all 98 shell folders.
Added shutdown.exe, rare post-RP7 recollected version.

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
The Network applet is very nice and useful. :hello:
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

slhk

slhk

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Updated: added registry trick which allows to turn on thumbnails in all 98 shell folders.

It works on my Chinese Win98SE now. Thank you :thumbup

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts
Tihiy, just another query about your thumbnail viewer, now I've used it for a few weeks.
I have a system monitor in my system tray called "Cool Beans System Information".
I believe that it is no longer in development, but I've used it for years mainly to keep an eye on CPU usage.

Since I've had your thumbnail viewer, the usage indication keeps on going to 100% if I browse through files using Windows Explorer, and this is without actually having thumbnail view enabled. All your program is doing is generating preview stills from image and video files on the left of the right-hand pane in Explorer.

Once it's gone to 100% CPU usage, it never drops down from that again until I reboot.
System performance doesn't seem to be impaired though.
The strange thing is, if I look at the CPU usage in Process Explorer, it isn't shown as 100%!
"System Idle Process" is shown as using most of the CPU, which I believe is normal, and the actual CPU usage is shown as being around 4-5%.

This may well have absolutely nothing to do with your thumbnails program of course, but I'm pretty sure that it only started doing it when I installed it. As I said, the CPU usage reading on Cool Beans only goes to 100% after I've been browsing with Windows Explorer and generating preview frames from images and video files.

Not a big deal, but any ideas why this might be happening, and why Cool Beans (which I've always found to be very reliable) has suddenly started showing what may well be spurious 100% CPU usage readings?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Donator

Uninstall and compare. I do believe it's a mistake.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,844 posts

Donator

Once it's gone to 100% CPU usage, it never drops down from that again until I reboot.
System performance doesn't seem to be impaired though.
The strange thing is, if I look at the CPU usage in Process Explorer, it isn't shown as 100%!
"System Idle Process" is shown as using most of the CPU, which I believe is normal, and the actual CPU usage is shown as being around 4-5%.

Dave, you might use Windows own SYSMON.EXE to break the tie and decide which app is wrong... my own bet goes to the Cool Beans, as sysinternals utilities are pretty reliable.

Edited by dencorso, 02 May 2009 - 03:34 AM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts
Well, I looked at the CPU usage in Windows System Monitor, and that says 100% too!
So it's only Process Explorer which is saying that it's only 4-5%.
Cool Beans System Info and Sysmon both say 100%.
Maybe PE uses different criteria to measure it?
Incidentally, WinTop also says that "Idle" is using nearly all of the CPU, as does Process Explorer.

This "problem" (if it really is one) does disappear if I uninstall Tihiy's thumbnail viewer.
I didn't actually delete any files, just unregistered gdipthms.dll, and ran "regsvr32 /i browseui.dll".
Obviously I lost the video thumbnails and preview frames, but the image file thumbnails and preview frames reverted to the Windows default, and the 100% CPU indication went away.

I'm pretty sure that it's the generation of thumbnails and preview frames from video files that's mainly causing the problem.
The results with video files seem to vary a lot too.
Some do nothing when highlighted, some produce a "Generating Preview..." message which then goes away but no preview frame appears, some produce a preview frame after a delay, some produce one instantly.

This is all from QuickTime movie files, and I can't see why some are being treated differently to others.
They vary a huge amount in file size, but are mainly all the same codec, Sorensen 3.
The results on other video formats seem to be similar, but the majority of my video archive is QuickTime files.
Hope this helps to investigate things.
Cheers, Dave.

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Well, I looked at the CPU usage in Windows System Monitor, and that says 100% too!
So it's only Process Explorer which is saying that it's only 4-5%.
Cool Beans System Info and Sysmon both say 100%.
Maybe PE uses different criteria to measure it?
Incidentally, WinTop also says that "Idle" is using nearly all of the CPU, as does Process Explorer.

That's just normal I think. For as far as I can remember I have always seen that on my Windows ME system. All tools that indicate global CPU usage say 100% and when I look with TaskInfo 98 or Process Explorer the idle process uses 97-99% usually.

Funny that there is not a single tool that substract the idle value from 100 and presents it as the cpu usage though.
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

triger49

triger49

• PipPip
  • 143 posts
Man ...just had to speak up ...

Tihiy....these little power toys are the greatest thing since cornflakes....Thanks for sharing ,, :thumbup

I often wonder what else you got stashed away there that i haven't seen yet....being a relative newbie here...

Jake

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 804 posts

For as far as I can remember I have always seen that on my Windows ME system. All tools that indicate global CPU usage say 100% and when I look with TaskInfo 98 or Process Explorer the idle process uses 97-99% usually.

Fair enough, but I never got permanent 100% CPU usage indications anywhere until the thumbnail viewer was installed.
:no:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN