Tihiy's tools

Tihiy

Tihiy, just another query about your thumbnail viewer, now I've used it for a few weeks.

I have a system monitor in my system tray called "Cool Beans System Information".

I believe that it is no longer in development, but I've used it for years mainly to keep an eye on CPU usage.

Since I've had your thumbnail viewer, the usage indication keeps on going to 100% if I browse through files using Windows Explorer, and this is without actually having thumbnail view enabled. All your program is doing is generating preview stills from image and video files on the left of the right-hand pane in Explorer.

Once it's gone to 100% CPU usage, it never drops down from that again until I reboot.

System performance doesn't seem to be impaired though.

The strange thing is, if I look at the CPU usage in Process Explorer, it isn't shown as 100%!

"System Idle Process" is shown as using most of the CPU, which I believe is normal, and the actual CPU usage is shown as being around 4-5%.

This may well have absolutely nothing to do with your thumbnails program of course, but I'm pretty sure that it only started doing it when I installed it. As I said, the CPU usage reading on Cool Beans only goes to 100% after I've been browsing with Windows Explorer and generating preview frames from images and video files.

Not a big deal, but any ideas why this might be happening, and why Cool Beans (which I've always found to be very reliable) has suddenly started showing what may well be spurious 100% CPU usage readings?

:)

Once it's gone to 100% CPU usage, it never drops down from that again until I reboot.

System performance doesn't seem to be impaired though.

The strange thing is, if I look at the CPU usage in Process Explorer, it isn't shown as 100%!

"System Idle Process" is shown as using most of the CPU, which I believe is normal, and the actual CPU usage is shown as being around 4-5%.

Dave, you might use Windows own SYSMON.EXE to break the tie and decide which app is wrong... my own bet goes to the Cool Beans, as sysinternals utilities are pretty reliable. Edited by dencorso

Well, I looked at the CPU usage in Windows System Monitor, and that says 100% too!

So it's only Process Explorer which is saying that it's only 4-5%.

Cool Beans System Info and Sysmon both say 100%.

Maybe PE uses different criteria to measure it?

Incidentally, WinTop also says that "Idle" is using nearly all of the CPU, as does Process Explorer.

This "problem" (if it really is one) does disappear if I uninstall Tihiy's thumbnail viewer.

I didn't actually delete any files, just unregistered gdipthms.dll, and ran "regsvr32 /i browseui.dll".

Obviously I lost the video thumbnails and preview frames, but the image file thumbnails and preview frames reverted to the Windows default, and the 100% CPU indication went away.

I'm pretty sure that it's the generation of thumbnails and preview frames from video files that's mainly causing the problem.

The results with video files seem to vary a lot too.

Some do nothing when highlighted, some produce a "Generating Preview..." message which then goes away but no preview frame appears, some produce a preview frame after a delay, some produce one instantly.

This is all from QuickTime movie files, and I can't see why some are being treated differently to others.

They vary a huge amount in file size, but are mainly all the same codec, Sorensen 3.

The results on other video formats seem to be similar, but the majority of my video archive is QuickTime files.

Hope this helps to investigate things.

Cheers, Dave.

Well, I looked at the CPU usage in Windows System Monitor, and that says 100% too!

So it's only Process Explorer which is saying that it's only 4-5%.

Cool Beans System Info and Sysmon both say 100%.

Maybe PE uses different criteria to measure it?

Incidentally, WinTop also says that "Idle" is using nearly all of the CPU, as does Process Explorer.

That's just normal I think. For as far as I can remember I have always seen that on my Windows ME system. All tools that indicate global CPU usage say 100% and when I look with TaskInfo 98 or Process Explorer the idle process uses 97-99% usually.

Funny that there is not a single tool that substract the idle value from 100 and presents it as the cpu usage though.

Man ...just had to speak up ...

Tihiy....these little power toys are the greatest thing since cornflakes....Thanks for sharing ,, :thumbup

I often wonder what else you got stashed away there that i haven't seen yet....being a relative newbie here...

Jake

For as far as I can remember I have always seen that on my Windows ME system. All tools that indicate global CPU usage say 100% and when I look with TaskInfo 98 or Process Explorer the idle process uses 97-99% usually.

Fair enough, but I never got permanent 100% CPU usage indications anywhere until the thumbnail viewer was installed.

:no:

For as far as I can remember I have always seen that on my Windows ME system. All tools that indicate global CPU usage say 100% and when I look with TaskInfo 98 or Process Explorer the idle process uses 97-99% usually.

Fair enough, but I never got permanent 100% CPU usage indications anywhere until the thumbnail viewer was installed. :no:

Neither do I. BTW, my patched SYSMON may interest you, although it'll not solve your issue. Note that the Win ME version works OK on 98SE, and that's the one I'm presently using.

Neither do I. BTW, my patched SYSMON may interest you, although it'll not solve your issue. Note that the Win ME version works OK on 98SE, and that's the one I'm presently using.

Thanks den.

I've downloaded and installed it.

Is there any reason to use the ME version instead of the 98SE version?

Thanks den.

I've downloaded and installed it.

Is there any reason to use the ME version instead of the 98SE version? :)

To have the most up-to-date code-base available. I think it's worth it, but that's just my opinion. :yes:

I've installed the ME version now, and as you say it seems to be absolutely fine.

Thanks.

:thumbup

Now I hope Tihiy can find some reason for the apparent 100% CPU usage when his thumbnail program is operating!

• 2 weeks later...