Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Tihiy's tools

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,934 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

For as far as I can remember I have always seen that on my Windows ME system. All tools that indicate global CPU usage say 100% and when I look with TaskInfo 98 or Process Explorer the idle process uses 97-99% usually.

Fair enough, but I never got permanent 100% CPU usage indications anywhere until the thumbnail viewer was installed. :no:

Neither do I. BTW, my patched SYSMON may interest you, although it'll not solve your issue. Note that the Win ME version works OK on 98SE, and that's the one I'm presently using.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Neither do I. BTW, my patched SYSMON may interest you, although it'll not solve your issue. Note that the Win ME version works OK on 98SE, and that's the one I'm presently using.

Thanks den.
I've downloaded and installed it.
Is there any reason to use the ME version instead of the 98SE version?
:)

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Asus AMD Radeon HD5450 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,934 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Thanks den.
I've downloaded and installed it.
Is there any reason to use the ME version instead of the 98SE version? :)

To have the most up-to-date code-base available. I think it's worth it, but that's just my opinion. :yes:

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
I've installed the ME version now, and as you say it seems to be absolutely fine.
Thanks.
:thumbup
Now I hope Tihiy can find some reason for the apparent 100% CPU usage when his thumbnail program is operating!

Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Asus AMD Radeon HD5450 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
Any update on the apparent CPU usage problem with the thumbnail viewer Tihiy?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Any update on the apparent CPU usage problem with the thumbnail viewer Tihiy?

You haven't provided any proof there is a problem. I can't trust sysmon which is often starts giving high CPU usage. If you say problem is apparent, then prove me how do you notice high CPU load - is there sluggishness or problems with multi-tasking or sound playing or what?

Also:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/227131

Edited by Tihiy, 15 May 2009 - 01:54 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,934 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Tihiy, I've never noticed the issues decribed in Q227131 with the Win ME SYSMON, which I use on a daily basis for year already, and which is the one Dave-H is presently using.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

I've never noticed the issues decribed in Q227131 with the Win ME SYSMON

This has nothing to do with sysmon version, really. It's a bug in performance measurement in 9x. Every application which uses registry CPU usage data can suffer from this.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

You haven't provided any proof there is a problem. I can't trust sysmon which is often starts giving high CPU usage. If you say problem is apparent, then prove me how do you notice high CPU load - is there sluggishness or problems with multi-tasking or sound playing or what?

Also:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/227131

Hi Tihiy,
No, there is no proof that there is an actual problem.
As I said before, the responsiveness of the system seems to be unaffected, which is why I think it likely that the 100% CPU usage indication is an error in the monitoring programs.
However, it never happened until I installed the thumbnail viewer, and it returns to normal if the viewer is disabled, which is why I thought it worth bringing it to your attention for investigation.
Thanks for the pointer to the MS KB article.
Cheers, Dave.

Edited by Dave-H, 15 May 2009 - 04:30 AM.

luluthefirst

luluthefirst

Junior

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 09-December 08
Can you add the button "Pause process" ?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

Can you add the button "Pause process" ?

No, i can't since those programs are not developed anymore. But when could it be useful?

winforever

winforever

• 18 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09
Hello tihiy,i would like to use your network activity indicator.but i dont want two Network indicators on the taskbar.so what i need to know is how do i get rid of the default dailup network indicator? i am running windows 98SE. my desktop screenshot...

Attached Files

Edited by winforever, 21 May 2009 - 03:39 AM.

Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

trevor89

trevor89

Junior

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 31-December 08
As far as Im aware there is no default 'Network' icon, only a Dail-Up/modem icon

However If you have 2 network cards it may be annoying to have 2 icons at the bottom, so yeah, can you add the option to hide the icon from systray but have it in..., how about Network Settings.

Another feature I think would be good for it wpuld be to either dissapear or give indication when a network is unplugged/unavailable. Sometimes my network is offline or I unplugg the cable yet the icon stays. Then when its replugged can it have the same balloon tip as your VPN (and modem possibly) icon in RP7 - of which would be another thing to add to RP9... I like it...

Trev
Posted Image

winforever

winforever

• 18 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09
sorry,i ment the dailup modem icon :whistle: edited post
Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

ajzen

ajzen
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 07-April 09
Hi! I've Hi! I've just installed GDI+ thumbnails and I realized that when I change the view to "Thumbnails" I can't see the windows like "an web page". Is there a solution to this? I have the Spanish version of 98SE.

I attach the images of what I mean.

Attached File  gdi_.jpg   63.8KB   30 downloads

Attached File  gdi_2.jpg   62.28KB   28 downloads

Thank you!!

De@n

De@n

• 27 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

Hi! I've Hi! I've just installed GDI+ thumbnails and I realized that when I change the view to "Thumbnails" I can't see the windows like "an web page". Is there a solution to this? I have the Spanish version of 98SE.

It should be like that.

JustinStacey.x

JustinStacey.x

Welcome to your life, there's no turning back...

• PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Joined 15-May 09

As far as Im aware there is no default 'Network' icon, only a Dail-Up/modem icon

Windows 98, 95, NT etc don't treat ethernet-type connections as 'connections', like Windows 2000 and upwards do. There is a 'network' icon I believe in the control panel which is where you configure the ethernet 'connection'. It's a complete pain in the proverbial to setup and when you're used to the simplicity of how Windows 2000 and up deals with 'connections' it can create quite a headache.
"XP is just a buggered up version of 2000 with skins added." - Phenomic.

luluthefirst

luluthefirst

Junior

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 09-December 08
i want the pause button :(

affter333

affter333

• 15 posts
  • Joined 23-April 09
I only need a hot key for renaming file/dir

Alt-R would be nice :)

luluthefirst

luluthefirst

Junior

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 09-December 08
you just need to press F2

Marius '95

Marius '95

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 12-January 06

Well, I looked at the CPU usage in Windows System Monitor, and that says 100% too!
So it's only Process Explorer which is saying that it's only 4-5%.
Cool Beans System Info and Sysmon both say 100%.
Maybe PE uses different criteria to measure it?
Incidentally, WinTop also says that "Idle" is using nearly all of the CPU, as does Process Explorer.

I think that System Monitor actually mesures free CPU, then substract the value from 100% and displays it. This CPU usage value includes ring 0 programs (kernel, drivers), while WinTop and other tools measure CPU usage of programs, ring 0 not included.

Ballinville

Ballinville

• 17 posts
  • Joined 10-July 09
how to run. I do click in file regsvr32 and put me a message .. No DLL specified .. but i dont know specified the dll *gdipthms.dll*

howi do to run this file ????

-- Install: copy dlls&exe into \windows\system. Run regsvr32 gdipthms.dll.
Remove: Run regsvr32 /u gdipthms.dll. Run regsvr32 /i browseui.dll. Delete gdipthms.dll&gdipsrv.exe from \windows\system.--
La verdad es relativa ...

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

how to run. I do click in file regsvr32 and put me a message .. No DLL specified .. but i dont know specified the dll *gdipthms.dll*

howi do to run this file ????

If you have put the gdiplus.dll file into your windows\system folder, all you should need to do it type "regsvr32 gdipthms.dll" (without the quote marks) into the "run" box and hit "OK".
It that what you're doing?

Ballinville

Ballinville

• 17 posts
  • Joined 10-July 09
no works, no happend nothing. i do that run regsvr32 gdipthms.dll and open the message said the dll succeeded... but no see change in my pics ... like thumnails.

Too put the code regedi4 and nothing

sorry for my bad english
La verdad es relativa ...

De@n

De@n

• 27 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

no works, no happend nothing. i do that run regsvr32 gdipthms.dll and open the message said the dll succeeded... but no see change in my pics ... like thumnails.

Too put the code regedi4 and nothing

sorry for my bad english

Have you changed folder properties to enable thumbnail?

Edited by De@n, 04 August 2009 - 03:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users