problem reinstalling me/xp

rldelrosario

hello once again guys... need help with my dilema... heres my setup which i was able to run using two os (xp/me)...

rldelrosario

========

Memory: 2 GiB RAM (2x 1 GiB)

Motherboard: P4X333-8235

CPU: Intel P4 2.0GHz

Video card: nVidia GeForce FX5500 256 MB (AGP 4x)

config.sys and autoexec.bat: no relevant entries

system.ini:

MaxPhysPage=48000 ; 1150 MiB

MaxFileCache=131072 ; 128 MiB

vmm32.vxd: plain vanilla (with 4.90.0.3000 vcache.vxd and vmm.vxd inside)

i was to run the two OS by editing the sys.ini using windows xp before... my problem now is that my harddisk crashed and after having it checked, its a goner, so i had to get a new one and have new installs. thing is... before, i was able to install the two os (xp/me) by first installing ME, then upgrade it to xp. and then reinstall ME using (windows.000) folder. but the installs were made before i added the 256 video and 2 gig ram.

so now, when i try the same process, ME wont boot, (this was the problem when i first added the 256 & 2 gig). with ME not booting, i cannot install both OS. i tried installing XP first and then ME but just the same, it wont boot with ME, and i cant open xp as well.

so now here i am... i've installed xp but would really want to install ME as well (i have an old program that wont run in xp). is there a way to edit the sys.ini using dos so i can input the correct values.

again, thanks a lot ....

ronald

actually went ahead already with removing 1 gig ram then installing everything... then after i placed back the 1 gb, did the necessary tweaks in the system.ini....... everything a-ok...

but that program sounds like a good alternative should there be a need to do it again in the future.... details or links please...

thanks guys...

details or links please...

Well, in the bottom part of post #1 of my Day-to-day running Win 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM thread there is a link to it...

==================================================

Software files relevant to running Win 9x/ME with more than 1 GiB RAM:

==================================================

ONGD - FREE - Xeno86's modified VCACHE.VXD (direct download)

ONGD - FREE - Japheth's HIMEMX.EXE (and JEMM) Homepage

ONGD - $$$$ - RLoew's Software Homepage, where one finds both the RAM Limitation Patch and the (beta) RAMDISKs

LAST - FREE - Frank Uberto's XMSDSK v. 1.9I Ramdrive (direct download)

ONGD - FREE - xRayeR's IO.SYS patch for accessing Safe Mode (direct download)

====================================================

remove 1 GiB; install ME; edit system.ini; add back 1 GiB; install XP

Hmm...

As I understood it, Windows Me was good up to 2GiB of RAM...

Apparently this is not the case...

It is at least higher than Windows 98SE... Does anyone actually know the addressable limit for Windows Me? (with no VMM patches)

Hmm...

As I understood it, Windows Me was good up to 2GiB of RAM...

Apparently this is not the case...

It is at least higher than Windows 98SE... Does anyone actually know the addressable limit for Windows Me? (with no VMM patches)

Yep! As you know, Win 98SE sees at most 1160 MB and, AFAIK, Win ME can see up to 1995 MB, in optimum conditions. See frankminek's post about it. It's not quite 2GiB, but it's near enough, IMHO. :D BTW, frankminek's machine is in the list, of course. :yes: Edited by dencorso

Download VirtualBox and install Windows Me in a VBox VM. It's our best way to go.

nah it should work fine once you done what dencorso said

You shouldn't be obligated to remove hardware to install an older OS when it will run just fine within a VM in the host (XP) system.

Download VirtualBox and install Windows Me in a VBox VM. It's our best way to go.

nah it should work fine once you done what dencorso said

You shouldn't be obligated to remove hardware to install an older OS when it will run just fine within a VM in the host (XP) system.

@Tarun: with all due respect, I think you misread my post...

I didn't suggest removing any hardware in a permanent basis. What I said is: remove 1 GiB, install, and add 1 GiB back. The removal is just for the install program to be able to run OK. After it's installed, Win ME will be able to run OK with 2 GiB and it will recognize *and* *use* 1995 MiB of it. It is faster than seeting up a VBox. And you end up with the real MCCoy (that is: Win ME running the real hardware). Myself, I do run alternatively Win 98SE and Win XP SP3 in a dual-boot set up on 3 GiB of RAM. To me, all the fun lies in giving Win 9x/ME full control over the hardware.

Indeed I did misread. Though I stand by my previous statement, that the best route is to use a VM. Some software I have developed I had to use a VM and was no about to format any of my machines solely to test my applications on 9x/Me. There are far more benefits (time, productivity, etc) running in a VM than doing things the hard way with dual booting a legacy OS.