Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unattended install, SATA drivers, and NO Floppy

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Pure Krome

Pure Krome

Junior

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 16-August 03
that cab also contains a simple program that automatically helps make a simple .sif file.

the good thing with that ref.chm help file is that it lists a huge bunch of things u can not install, much more than then .sif wizard program.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
Now ... where is my CD.. burn baby burn. Thanks all for explanations.

Ghent

Ghent

Junior

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
This is about my earler post asking about what the what these number mean in the tstsetup.sif "autofmt.exe = 1,,,,,,_x,2,0,0,,1,2"

Here's a link to a web site that explains a bit of it, but not all. Still looking for more info on it, but no luck.

http://gosh.msfnhost...om/txtsetup.htm

Guess the Credit for this goes to Gosh.

I'll post more if I can find anything more about the last few numbers, but they don't look to important.

Beleive only this part "1,,,,,,_x,2,0" is what you really do need to config so that your drive install properly at the textmode of windows so you can see your SATA drive's or RAID drive's.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@raskren:
Thanks again for your post. After trying various things, i have settled on a "lite" version of this method for use in XPCREATE. The changes I made:

1) I dumped the TEXTMODE directory as well as all of the TXTSETUP.OEM files, as they seemed to be too often the source of error.

2) I added all the text to TXTSETUP.SIF in one block, with it's own headers, to the end of the file. Make automated editing a breeze. As you noticed there where already multiple SourceDisksFiles sections. Windows parses all elements from multiple instances of a header together before processing the file itself.

For what it is worth, the steps I took are listed on THIS page.

Thanks again, raskren, for getting me started on this, and for your clear instructions.

raskren

raskren

I ♥ Longhorn

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
Looks good! :)

That's a great idea to just add the subsections with their new entires all at the end. No more hunting for [scsi] and all that.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
I'm glad you did not feel slighted!

Somehow it seems much "cleaner" without hunting down the INF sections, and I was not looking forward to writing that script. Thanks go out to jdeboeck for pointing out that multiple instances of the same section header were not a problem.

I actually started out using all the steps you listed, and removed or "simplified" them after that was working. And I NEVER liked those TXTSETUP.OEM. I think the key is that TXTSETUP.OEM requires editing depending on File Systems, and in a fresh CD install, you do not need to pre-determine the File System. I have not heard of anyone having succes with this file. (Except Pure Krome, but after looking at that method I determined that "hacking" TXTSETUP.INF was a whole lot cleaner than hijacking the XP install, and adding three different copies of TXTSETUP.OEM: Sorry, I had to conclude that this way is much less of a "hack"). I DO NOT believe that the WINNT.SIF / MassStorageDrivers was designed to be used for CD installs, rather for network or SysPrep installs.

raskren

raskren

I ♥ Longhorn

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03

I DO NOT believe that the WINNT.SIF / MassStorageDrivers was designed to be used for CD installs, rather for network or SysPrep installs.

Same here. After seeing just about everyone's install fail from CD that's the only conclusion I can come to.

I do have a hard time thinking of this as a hack. MS left txtsetup.sif as a plain text file when they could have encoded it in a binary and forced us to hex edit it. I'd call that a hack but not just editing a text file. Is creating winnt.sif a hack? Or cmdlines.txt? If Microsoft wanted to add new F6 drivers to the CD themselves I'm sure this is how they would do it. Once everything is put in its place the install is literally seamless.

captdilly

captdilly

• 19 posts
  • Joined 12-October 03

from what i understand with the Setup.sif file, there is a section called MassDrivers or something (it's been a few months since i last did any unattended stuff). MS added this section to make it QUICK and SIMPLE to add RAID/SATA drivers to an unattended install.

Hello you jackass, no need to be a dick to people. The Winnt.SIF method only works on certain PCs, those that have the RAID/SCSI controller specified. If they don't, it errors out. It's also very hard to set up and have work right, it took me a helluva long time. The txtsetup.sif method worked first try for me, and it worked great.

OldMan

OldMan

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 17-October 03
@Rasken,
Dude, I give me my full support!!!! Your method worked for me right out of the box. I also have an ABIT IC7 MAX3 board and wanted to install unattended (without F6 input). 1 pass, no errors. Thnx. :)

Now,,,on,,, to figure out why Photoshop 7.0 is not installing..................... :rolleyes:

The Old Dude
As one X-Ray techie once told me for applying exposure settings to patients..."when in doubt, burn it out!!!

raskren

raskren

I ♥ Longhorn

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
Right on my friend, glad to hear it!

tWreCK

tWreCK

• 30 posts
  • Joined 29-February 04
I realize it was a while ago anyone posted in this thread but I have a question regarding adding SATA/RAID drivers using Raskrens method here (which btw I find much easier than Chrome's method which i find too complicated to bother with).

Raskren - you specified that we should add the following lines to txtsetup.sif:

[SourceDisksFiles]
iaStor.sys = 100,,,,,,3_,4,1,,,1,4
si3114r.sys = 100,,,,,,3_,4,1,,,1,4 

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3114&SUBSYS_61141095 = "Si3114r"
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3114&SUBSYS_288510F1 = "Si3114r"
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3114&SUBSYS_047AA0A0 =  "Si3114r"
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3114&SUBSYS_0478A0A0 = "Si3114r"
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3114&SUBSYS_0479A0A0 = "Si3114r"
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3114&SUBSYS_90181695 = "Si3114r"
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3114&SUBSYS_F642270F = "Si3114r"
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3114&SUBSYS_100415BD = "Si3114r"

[SCSI.load]
iaStor = iaStor.sys,4
si3114r = si3114r.sys,4

[SCSI]
iaStor = "Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller"
si3114r = "Silicon Image SiI 3114 SATARaid Controller"

I'm btw also adding SI3112A SATA drivers as well as Highpoint 372 RAID drivers to my installation. When I look at the TxtSetup.oem & .inf files of those drivers and look at the corresponding sections you mentioned above, it looks a bit different than the way you have described it. Here's an excerpt of the SI3112A SATA driver sections from the TxtSetup.oem & .inf files of the drivers I'm using:

[SourceDisksNames]
1="Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATALink Driver Installation Disk",SI3112.sys,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
SI3112.sys	= 1
SI3112.mpd	= 1
SiiSupp.vxd	= 1
SilSupp.cpl	= 1
SiWinAcc.sys	= 1

(both of the above taken from the .inf file)

[SCSI]                 ; HwComponent section
Si3112_XP = "Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATALink Controller for Windows XP/Server 2003"

[Files.SCSI.Si3112_XP]
driver = disk1,si3112.sys, Si3112
driver = disk1,SiWinAcc.sys, SiFilter
inf = disk1,SI3112.inf
dll = disk1,SilSupp.cpl
catalog = disk1, Si3112.cat

[HardwareIds.SCSI.Si3112_XP]
id = "PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_31121095", "Si3112"
id = "PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_34238086", "Si3112"
id = "PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_311215D9", "Si3112"
id = "PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_B0021458", "Si3112"
id = "PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_01661028", "Si3112"
id = "PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_82141033", "Si3112"
id = "PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3512&SUBSYS_35121095", "Si3112"
id = "PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3512&SUBSYS_01661028", "Si3112"

[Config.Si3112]
value = ProblemDevices, "", REG_SZ, ""
value = ProblemDevices, "Maxtor 4D060H3                          DAK05GK0", REG_SZ, "MaxMode = UDMA-5"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST320012AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST330013AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST340017AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST360015AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST380023AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST3120023AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST340014ASL", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST360014ASL", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST380011ASL", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST3120022ASL", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"
value = ProblemDevices, "ST3160021ASL", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

(the above lines taken from the TxtSetup.oem file)

Now if you compare these with those you posted the headers are obviously a bit different as is the information contained under them. There is also an additional header [Config.Si3112] which contains info specific to the 3112A controller as well. My question is: even if the info in my files isn't exactly the same as what you posted - would there be a problem adding these lines as is (in accordance to Greenmachines guide) to my txtsetup.sif? It seems to be stating the same info only in a different manner. Or do the lines to be added have to be exactly as you posted? If so, what's the reason for this?

Sorry about the long post but I need to get clarification on this point to really understand what's going on here...............

tWreCK

tWreCK

• 30 posts
  • Joined 29-February 04
***BUMP***

raskren

raskren

I ♥ Longhorn

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
This information may be of some help to you. It explains what all the digits in txtsetup.sif lines mean.
http://www.msfn.org/...topic=14852&hl=

It looks like all your driver files belong in Windows\System32 so here's what you need to add:

[SourceDisksFiles]
SI3112.sys = 100,,,,,,3_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_31121095 = SI3112

[SCSI.Load]
"SI3112" = SI3112.sys,4

[SCSI]
SI3112 = "Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATALink Controller"

You'll need to add the rest of the device ids in the format above. You should put the rest of the driver files (other than .sys) into $OEM$\$$\System32 so they get copied over as well.

Good luck, and if I don't respond here feel free to send me a PM and I'll glady try and help.

raskren

raskren

I ♥ Longhorn

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
Don't forget to compress your .sys file before you copy it to i386.

hajj_3

hajj_3

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 17-March 04
man, that is complicated, i would also like to do the same on my maxtor sata's, i just got my second one, i will be formatting them and raiding them in a couple of weeks, never raided before, so dont know what im doing, but it would sure be handy to install the sata drivers and setup raid automatically, then do the unattended install of xp.

_Shorty

_Shorty

• 26 posts
  • Joined 03-March 04
I spent a good day, day and a half, trying to get my Promise FastTrak 100 to work. Then it hit me, I already had a working solution from that BartPE CD I made the other week! So I used the settings I used from that:

[SourceDisksFiles]
fasttrak.sys = 1,,,,,,_3,4,1

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_4D30 = "fasttrak"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_4D38 = "fasttrak"

[SCSI.load]
fasttrak = fasttrak.sys,4

[SCSI]
fasttrak = "WinXP Promise FastTrak"

at the end of my TXTSETUP.SIF and then put my fasttrak.sys file in \i386\ but I did not compress it with the makecab command from here http://greenmachine....ING/addraid.htm and it works. So at least in my case, that page was almost correct, but not quite. The line under SourceDisksFiles is just slightly different, and I had to use an uncompressed driver. I couldn't get mine to work when I followed that page to the letter. Driver difference perhaps. Dunno. Working now though, woot.

Oh, and I made my TXTSETUP.OEM by hand, altering the one from Microsoft's ScsiCfgSet.exe example/guideline files. And I also altered the FASTTRAK.INF file to match what I used in the TXTSETUP.OEM file. I could paste them if someone wants to see them.

Neoh

Neoh
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 02-March 04
I have Promise Drivers on a AX4PEMAX card, here is my txtsetup.sif
Can you guys tell me if it is correct?
[SourceDisksFiles]
ulsata.sys = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1 

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3375 = "UlSata"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3318 = "UlSata"

[SCSI.load]
UlSata = ulsata.sys,4

[SCSI]
ulsata = "WinXP Promise SATA150 TX Series (tm) IDE Controller"

I'll quit fearing Airplane travel when people will stop applauding the pilot on landings

doslager

doslager
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-April 04
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice in this forum. I'm trying out this method of preloading drivers now.

I'm also curious if this method will work in Win2k? (Pro/Srv/Adv)

I'm building unattended installs here at work and would like to cover all my bases with this method of preloading the RAID drivers.

TIA!

Dave O.

raskren

raskren

I ♥ Longhorn

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
twreck,

You don't need a txtsetup.oem file at all when using this method. Txtsetup.oem is accessed by setup if you use [massStorage...] in winnt.sif.

Neoh,

Your settings look right, did they work?

doslager,

This will work in Windows 2000 and perhaps NT4 but I haven't tested it on either platform.

Maurice

Maurice
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 12-April 04
i did it with sil3112 got an error when installing it, had 1 file 3114 named.
now i tested it trough Vmware and i saw it that he was loading it and no error came

zhenxy

zhenxy
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 24-April 04
I'm not good at english!
Who can show me the files for Intel 865PE-ICH5R motherboards!

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
Why do so many IDE drivers use 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4 in txtsetup.sif?
RyanVM MSFN Files | RyanVM Forums
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.
Current Update Pack Release: 2.2.2
(Released April 28, 2008)

BTW, 90% of what I say is kidding around. Don't take things so personally ;)

raskren

raskren

I ♥ Longhorn

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
Maurice,

VMware does not accurately portray how a Windows image will actually perform on your "real" hardware. Your virtual disk may be on a SATA drive or RAID array but the guest operating system is simply installed on a plain 'ol (virutal) IDE or SCSI drive. If you see the driver name flash by during the text mode setup, there's a good chance it will actually work.

zhenxy,

If your motherboard has an ICH5-R southbridge you need iastor.sys and that is all. Its the same file that I used in the article.

RyanVM,

I posted in regards to what all those commas and switches do here:

http://www.msfn.org/...topic=14852&hl=

I hope this helps.

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
I've seen that thread and gosh's page, but I still don't understand what the 4s are for.
RyanVM MSFN Files | RyanVM Forums
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.
Current Update Pack Release: 2.2.2
(Released April 28, 2008)

BTW, 90% of what I say is kidding around. Don't take things so personally ;)

raskren

raskren

I ♥ Longhorn

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
The 4 indicates the destination directory for the associated file. In this case: \Windows\system32. You need to analyze the INF file that comes with the driver(s) to determine exactly where things go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users