Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[SOLVED] USBstick take letter D and not U

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts
Hi all!
I searched wherever but found nothing to solve my problem.
I edit win setup with nlite to assign "Doc&Settings" and "Program Files" folders to the second partition D.
When I create the USBstick to install windows I choose to assign drive letter U (modded migrate.inf) anyway in the textmode setup my USBstick take always letter D.
So if I continue setup, some folders are created in my usb.
When I'm in textmode I see this table:

476938 SCSI disk, Id 0, bus 0, on iaStor [MBR]
C: Partition1 (XP) [NTFS]
E: Partition2 (XP_data) [NTFS]
F: Partition3 (Vista) [NTFS]
G: Partition4 (Share) [FAT32]

1962 disk [MBR]
D: Partition1 (XP_USB) [NTFS]

What can I do to have this instead?:
D: Partition2 (XP_data) [NTFS]
E: Partition3 (Vista) [NTFS]
F: Partition4 (Share) [FAT32]

1962 disk [MBR]
U: Partition1 (XP_USB) [NTFS]

Can you help me??
Thank you!

Edited by pipster, 23 April 2009 - 04:50 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 676 posts

I edit win setup with nlite to assign "Doc&Settings" and "Program Files" folders to the second partition D.
When I create the USBstick to install windows I choose to assign drive letter U (modded migrate.inf) anyway in the textmode setup my USBstick take always letter D.
So if I continue setup, some folders are created in my usb.

Assigning Drive Letter U: using migrate.inf only works for Removable Devices.

Is your USB-stick in My Computer presented in the List of Fixed Local Drives ?

What Drive Type (Option 0 in USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd) did you use: USB-stick or USB-Harddisk ?

Can you give your migrate.inf as produced by USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd in the $WIN_NT$.~BT folder on USB-stick ?

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts

Assigning Drive Letter U: using migrate.inf only works for Removable Devices.

Is your USB-stick in My Computer presented in the List of Fixed Local Drives ?

What Drive Type (Option 0 in USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd) did you use: USB-stick or USB-Harddisk ?

Can you give your migrate.inf as produced by USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd in the $WIN_NT$.~BT folder on USB-stick ?

Hi wimb and thanks for your reply. Let me say USB_MultiBoot_10 is a wonderful piece of code.
Yes, my USB-stick is a Verbatim Store-n-go (2gb) and is listed as Removable Devices in MyComputer.
I always use USB-stick as drive type at option 0 in USB_MultiBoot_10.
Here's my migrate.inf:
[Version]
 Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[Addreg]
 HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices",,0x00000010
 HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\StorageDevicePolicies","WriteProtect",%REG_DWORD%,1
 HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices","\DosDevices\U:",0x00030001,\
 5C,00,3F,00,3F,00,5C,00,53,00,54,00,4F,00,52,00,41,00,47,00,45,00,23,00,52,00,65,00,6D,00,6F,00,76,0
0,61,00,62,00,6C,00,65,00,4D,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,23,00,38,00,26,00,31,00,35,00,37,00,61,00,64,
00,36,00,32,00,26,00,30,00,26,00,52,00,4D,00,23,00,7B,00,35,00,33,00,66,00,35,00,36,00,33,00,30,00,64
,00,2D,00,62,00,36,00,62,00,66,00,2D,00,31,00,31,00,64,00,30,00,2D,00,39,00,34,00,66,00,32,00,2D,00,3
0,00,30,00,61,00,30,00,63,00,39,00,31,00,65,00,66,00,62,00,38,00,62,00,7D,00

[Strings]
;Handy macro substitutions non-localizable
 REG_SZ = 0x00000000
 REG_BINARY = 0x00000001
 REG_DWORD = 0x00010001
 REG_MULTI_SZ = 0x00010000
 REG_SZ_APPEND = 0x00010008
 REG_EXPAND_SZ = 0x00020000

Thank you very much for your help! :)

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
Similar problem described here and the following posts:
http://www.msfn.org/...o...st&p=824348

Can you try with another USB stick? This was the resolution in that case.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts

Similar problem described here and the following posts:
http://www.msfn.org/...o...st&p=824348

Can you try with another USB stick? This was the resolution in that case.

Ops! I bought a 2gb usb-drive just for xp setup..
Anyway ok. I will try with another stick as soon as I find one.
Thanks!

Also I noticed another thing.. In my nlited winnt.sif there is this section:
[Unattended]
 UnattendMode=DefaultHide
 UnattendSwitch="Yes"
 OemPreinstall="Yes"
 OemSkipEula="Yes"
 ProgramFilesDir="D:\Programmi"
 CommonProgramFilesDir="D:\Programmi\File comuni"
 FileSystem=*
 WaitForReboot="No"
 NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
 NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
 DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
 NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
..that is not present in the version modded by USB_MultiBoot_10.
Note that I specify to use partition D for the "Program files" folder and for "Documenti and Settings" too.
Is it correct to miss that part?

Edited by pipster, 31 March 2009 - 08:30 AM.

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 676 posts

..that is not present in the version modded by USB_MultiBoot_10.
Note that I specify to use partition D for the "Program files" folder and for "Documenti and Settings" too.
Is it correct to miss that part?

Unfortunately, the procedure of USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd does NOT allow to make use of [Unattended] Section.

However, there are two very good solutions which can handle the [Unattended] Section as you wish:

WinSetupFromUSB of ilko_t
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=120444

Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5306

Another advantage is that you can use the FULL XP Source unchanged just as with Install from CD
and the $OEM$ folder is recognised and the [Unattended] section of winnt.sif file is used as normal.

ilko_t indicated already that your USB-stick Make is may be NOT willing
for getting Drive letter U: during XP Setup ....

Edited by wimb, 31 March 2009 - 11:03 AM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
Changing default directories paths is not yet supported in WinSetupFromUSB. In my last tests I noticed that "program files" and "documents and settings" were not created during Text mode part, which gives pretty good chances to find a workaround by using presetup.cmd for example. However, I was after something else and did not pay much attention, the above statement could be wrong.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts
Thank you both wimb and ilko_t. :)
I will make some test and post results here. Maybe it could be useful for someone... stay tuned! ;)

Edited by pipster, 31 March 2009 - 12:07 PM.

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts
I tested another usb pendrive (Imation Nano 4gb) and it's quite the same. Now I have:

3892 disk [MBR]

So I think it's impossible for me to install Windows from usb.
Furthermore when I try to include the [Unattended] section in both winat.sif and winnt.sif I get an error just before the partitioning screen in txtsetup. Some of this:
"Impossible to copy \WINDOWS folder. Impossible to find the folder..."

So I'm coming back to the classic cd(nlited) setup. I'm sorry.
Setup after booting with WinPE is too much complicated to use and to update.
Maybe I will try later with Vista on my second partition.

Anyway if any of you has a workaround to my problems please let me now.
Thank you!! :)

Edited by pipster, 03 April 2009 - 02:54 AM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts

Changing default directories paths is not yet supported in WinSetupFromUSB.

I have to correct myself- using WinSetupFromUSB 0.2, which will be published in a few days and custom directories, defined in winnt.sif DOES work. Seems the trick with merging back the unattended section to $winnt$.inf using presetup.cmd does the trick. The directories entries are parsed from $winnt$.inf after start of GUI mode, after presetup.cmd was launched and actually a few minutes after T-39, when the directories are created as well.

winnt.sif:
[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
OemPreinstall="Yes"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPnPDriversPath="drivers\01 wireless;drivers\02 lan;drivers\03 video"
ProgramFilesDir="D:\Program_Files"
CommonProgramFilesDir="D:\Program_Files\My_Common_Files"
[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
AutoLogon="Yes"
AdminPassword=*
TimeZone=085
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1
ProfilesDir="D:\Documents_Settings\"

setuplog.txt:

4/04/2009 23:49:53.389,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\IEXPLORE.EX_ was copied to D:\Program_Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE.

04/04/2009 23:49:53.405,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\iedw.ex_ was copied to D:\Program_Files\Internet Explorer\iedw.exe.

04/04/2009 23:49:53.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\HMMAPI.DL_ was copied to D:\Program_Files\Internet Explorer\HMMAPI.DLL.

04/04/2009 23:49:53.452,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\html32.cn_ was copied to D:\Program_Files\My_Common_Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv\html32.cnv.
04/04/2009 23:49:58.780,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\bluehill.jp_ was copied to D:\Documents_Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\Blue hills.jpg.

04/04/2009 23:49:58.796,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\sunset.jp_ was copied to D:\Documents_Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\Sunset.jpg.

setupapi.log:

#I022 Found "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_27228086" in d:\drivers\01 wireless\w29n51.inf; Device: "IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection"; Driver: "IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection"; Provider: "Intel"; Mfg: "Intel Corporation"; Section name: "Install_DELLMPCI3A_BG_XP".

As far as I remember 0.1.1 should work fine with those entries as well.

In other words pretty much everything in winnt.sif has been covered ;)

Edited by ilko_t, 04 April 2009 - 03:42 PM.

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts

I have to correct myself- using WinSetupFromUSB 0.2, which will be published in a few days and custom directories, defined in winnt.sif DOES work. Seems the trick with merging back the unattended section to $winnt$.inf using presetup.cmd does the trick. The directories entries are parsed from $winnt$.inf after start of GUI mode, after presetup.cmd was launched and actually a few minutes after T-39, when the directories are created as well.
CUT
As far as I remember 0.1.1 should work fine with those entries as well.

In other words pretty much everything in winnt.sif has been covered ;)

This is great! I'll try when you release it and when I complete my WinXPsp3 cd with nLite.
Anyway I have to find a workaround for the missing U:\ driveletter.. :(
As soon as I can I'll make other test.
Thanks ilko_t for the advice ;)

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
Can you test the same stick on another computer? This would be harmless- just get to the partitioning screen in Text mode and see drive letters, no need to continue with installation. Then you can shut down the PC or use F3 to abort Setup.

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts

Can you test the same stick on another computer? This would be harmless- just get to the partitioning screen in Text mode and see drive letters, no need to continue with installation. Then you can shut down the PC or use F3 to abort Setup.

Hello and sorry for late... :unsure:
I tested your GUI apps with my first usb key (Verbatim) but now I get just this line:
3892 disk [MBR]
C: Partition1 (XP_USB) [NTFS]

So all of my other partition are invisible and I can't continue with setup.
Unfortunately I don't have another USB boot compatible computer so I can't try...

Then I tried to use FAT for the USB_drive and at boot I have black screen with only this entry:
Second part XP professional setup from hd 0 part 1

In the boot.ini I have entry for the 2nd part only. Nothing for the first part so I can't start txtsetup.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
You most likely do not have the appropriate mass storage (SATA) driver included, or in BIOS SATA mode was on IDE and now is in AHCI/SATA/RAID mode. Did you use the same windows source?

Don't use FAT on this large drive, try FAT32 instead, but be warned- file copy part in Text mode could be painfully slow. NTFS is much faster.

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts
The windows source is the same with sata drivers nlited, working on cd.
Bios settings are the same.
I know FAT could really slow but I thought to make a try and see if there was some chance to get U letter for my usb stick.
Thanks for advice :)

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
Can you attach your txtsetup.sif from USB disk root?
What computer is this, brand/model if is laptop? Motherboard model if desktop? Do you know by any chance the HardwareID of the SATA controller?
I see iastor used, can you try setting up SATA controller in IDE mode and try again?

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts

Can you attach your txtsetup.sif from USB disk root?
What computer is this, brand/model if is laptop? Motherboard model if desktop? Do you know by any chance the HardwareID of the SATA controller?
I see iastor used, can you try setting up SATA controller in IDE mode and try again?

Yes, of course!
CPU: Intel i7 920
MotherBoard: Asus P6T

Sata controller is Intel ICH10R
HWID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&SUBSYS_82D41043&REV_00

Here's my txtsetup.sif
Attached File  TXTSETUP.rar   66.6KB   6 downloads

Let me make another test in NTFS to try in IDE mode because in FAT I got the same, just 2nd part in black screen...

Edited by pipster, 09 April 2009 - 07:39 PM.

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts
Made other tests using NTFS format on the Imation Nano 4gb.
I tried:
1. BIOS AHCI mode both with original presetup.cmd or with some change in the beginning lines:
SET TAGFILE=\$WIN_NT$.~LS
FOR %%h IN (U M N O P Q R S T V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%h:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%h:
if "%CDDRIVE%" == "" (
FOR %%h IN (C D E F G H I J K L) DO IF EXIST "%%h:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%h:
)
I simply moved D from first group of letters to the 2nd.
I get the same entries as my other post 9

2. BIOS IDE mode with original and modded presetup.cmd and get the same

Anyway I think that change in presetup has no effect on anything...
I really don't know what I can do right now :wacko:

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
You have no entries for iaStor, neither for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22 in the txtsetup.sif posted. :blink:

What is broken? In your first post I see iaStor loaded. You are saying that you have used the same source. Where did iaStor driver come from in your first post and why it is not present in the posted txtsetup.sif? Something must have been changed meanwhile.

Presetup.cmd is loaded at start of GUI mode and does not play any role during Text mode where you problem is. No need to play with it at all.

I would advice you to start with clean, original, not modified in any way XP SP3. If you cannot find such source use for the tests the trial Server 2003, freely available from MS:
http://technet.micro...r/bb430831.aspx

Since you will be testing Text mode only you won't need a serial number, just get the first English img file from here, extract it somewhere and use it as a source.
http://download.micr...F/X13-04874.img
http://www.microsoft...llinstruct.mspx

Use WinSetupFromUSB with Copy Setup boot/RC files only option checked. This will let you test Text mode only without copying the whole source. Files put on USB stick are 6-12MB total size and preparation takes seconds.

1. Try to prepare the USB stick in NTFS, and BIOS in IDE mode. If no luck go to 2. Do not touch anything with nLite yet.
2. Integrate BTS mass storage drivers, selecting Text mode drivers too. Format and rebuild the USB stick with the same option checked, put BIOS in AHCI/SATA mode. Do not touch anything with nLite yet.

Is your USB stick now U:? Do you see the internal hard disk(s) now?

Please follow the advices blindly, do NOT introduce any changes, which in your opinion may be irrelevant.

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts
I'm sorry :blushing: . That was not the correct version of txtsetup.sif.
Here's it:
Attached File  TXTSETUP.7z   57.4KB   8 downloads
With this sif sata driver load succesfully and setup goes right with the nlited cd.

I tried with my original XPsp2 cd source loading iaStor by F6 but is always the same, both in AHCI and IDE mode. USB gets partition D:
Now I'm downloading XP 2003 sp2 as you said me, because I don't have a not modified XP SP3. Thank you!

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts
XP 2003 sp2 both AHCI (with F6) and IDE mode failed. I always get the same:
476938 SCSI disk, Id 0, bus 0, on iaStor [MBR] <--this change by IDE or SATA mode

1962 disk [MBR]

I'll try to integrate BTS mass storage. Do I have to use DP_base or nLite integration?
Now I'm trying with DP_base...

No news.. XP 2003 sp2 with BTS Mass Storage integrated with DP_base failed too. Both in IDE and AHCI.
So I think there's no chance for me to install via USB.
Maybe it's the Asus P6T BIOS (v.0403) or the USB controller... I don't know :}

Edited by pipster, 10 April 2009 - 10:32 AM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
Ok, now missing SATA disk problem is resolved, you can use either source you have as it should not be the problem. USB stick getting D: might be something to do with BIOS or the USB stick :unsure:

Try in BIOS-->Advanced-->USB configuration to change values of BIOS EHCI Hand off to Disabled and maybe Legacy USB support to Enabled if it is Auto. Just random ideas...

Another one- open up Regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, right click on it and export it in a reg file.
Attach this file along with the latest migrate.inf in ~BT folder on the USB stick.

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts

Try in BIOS-->Advanced-->USB configuration to change values of BIOS EHCI Hand off to Disabled and maybe Legacy USB support to Enabled if it is Auto. Just random ideas...

Tryed... again D:
Also I tried in "BIOS-->Advanced-->USB configuration--> USB Mass Storage Device Configuration" to force Emulation type to "CDROM" and to "Hard Disk" but nothing...

Another one- open up Regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, right click on it and export it in a reg file.
Attach this file along with the latest migrate.inf in ~BT folder on the USB stick.

I'm sorry.. :blushing:
Where do I have to export that key? Do I have to log in windows on the machine on which I'm trying to boot with USB U: and take that registry?

Edited by pipster, 10 April 2009 - 10:53 AM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
On the machine you used to prepare the USB stick. Please also mention what drive letter was the USB stick last time you prepared it with Windows setup. All this is on the same machine, where you run WinSetupFromUSB or USB_multiboot. Leaving the remote machine alone for a while.

pipster

pipster

• 40 posts

On the machine you used to prepare the USB stick. Please also mention what drive letter was the USB stick last time you prepared it with Windows setup. All this is on the same machine, where you run WinSetupFromUSB or USB_multiboot. Leaving the remote machine alone for a while.

Both the sticks take letter H.
Here is the files you asked me:
Attached File  Reg_export_and_migrate.rar   6.86KB   7 downloads

Win 2003 is on the Verbatim 2gb
XP pro sp3 nlited with apps, driver, hotfixes and tweaks is on the Imation Nano 4gb

I'm sorry but now I have to leave because I have to take a 9 hours bus :wacko: to go to my parents in the south of Italy for the Easter. I'll take all the sticks with me and I'll try with my father pc.
I will give you more feedback in the next days.

Thank you very much for your support. You are very kind. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN