[SOLVED] USBstick take letter D and not U

pipster

Hi all!

I searched wherever but found nothing to solve my problem.

I edit win setup with nlite to assign "Doc&Settings" and "Program Files" folders to the second partition D.

When I create the USBstick to install windows I choose to assign drive letter U (modded migrate.inf) anyway in the textmode setup my USBstick take always letter D.

So if I continue setup, some folders are created in my usb.

When I'm in textmode I see this table:

476938 SCSI disk, Id 0, bus 0, on iaStor [MBR]

C: Partition1 (XP) [NTFS]

E: Partition2 (XP_data) [NTFS]

F: Partition3 (Vista) [NTFS]

G: Partition4 (Share) [FAT32]

1962 disk [MBR]

D: Partition1 (XP_USB) [NTFS]

What can I do to have this instead?:

D: Partition2 (XP_data) [NTFS]

E: Partition3 (Vista) [NTFS]

F: Partition4 (Share) [FAT32]

1962 disk [MBR]

U: Partition1 (XP_USB) [NTFS]

Can you help me??

Thank you!

Edited by pipster

I edit win setup with nlite to assign "Doc&Settings" and "Program Files" folders to the second partition D.

When I create the USBstick to install windows I choose to assign drive letter U (modded migrate.inf) anyway in the textmode setup my USBstick take always letter D.

So if I continue setup, some folders are created in my usb.

Assigning Drive Letter U: using migrate.inf only works for Removable Devices.

Is your USB-stick in My Computer presented in the List of Fixed Local Drives ?

What Drive Type (Option 0 in USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd) did you use: USB-stick or USB-Harddisk ?

Can you give your migrate.inf as produced by USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd in the $WIN_NT$.~BT folder on USB-stick ?

Assigning Drive Letter U: using migrate.inf only works for Removable Devices.

Is your USB-stick in My Computer presented in the List of Fixed Local Drives ?

What Drive Type (Option 0 in USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd) did you use: USB-stick or USB-Harddisk ?

Can you give your migrate.inf as produced by USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd in the $WIN_NT$.~BT folder on USB-stick ?

Hi wimb and thanks for your reply. Let me say USB_MultiBoot_10 is a wonderful piece of code.

Yes, my USB-stick is a Verbatim Store-n-go (2gb) and is listed as Removable Devices in MyComputer.

I always use USB-stick as drive type at option 0 in USB_MultiBoot_10.

Here's my migrate.inf:

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[Addreg]
HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices",,0x00000010
HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\StorageDevicePolicies","WriteProtect",%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"SYSTEM\MountedDevices","\DosDevices\U:",0x00030001,\
5C,00,3F,00,3F,00,5C,00,53,00,54,00,4F,00,52,00,41,00,47,00,45,00,23,00,52,00,65,00,6D,00,6F,00,76,0
0,61,00,62,00,6C,00,65,00,4D,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,23,00,38,00,26,00,31,00,35,00,37,00,61,00,64,
00,36,00,32,00,26,00,30,00,26,00,52,00,4D,00,23,00,7B,00,35,00,33,00,66,00,35,00,36,00,33,00,30,00,64
,00,2D,00,62,00,36,00,62,00,66,00,2D,00,31,00,31,00,64,00,30,00,2D,00,39,00,34,00,66,00,32,00,2D,00,3
0,00,30,00,61,00,30,00,63,00,39,00,31,00,65,00,66,00,62,00,38,00,62,00,7D,00

[Strings]
;Handy macro substitutions non-localizable
REG_SZ = 0x00000000
REG_BINARY = 0x00000001
REG_DWORD = 0x00010001
REG_MULTI_SZ = 0x00010000
REG_SZ_APPEND = 0x00010008
REG_EXPAND_SZ = 0x00020000

Thank you very much for your help! :)

Similar problem described here and the following posts:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=824348

Can you try with another USB stick? This was the resolution in that case.

Ops! I bought a 2gb usb-drive just for xp setup..

Anyway ok. I will try with another stick as soon as I find one.

Thanks!

Also I noticed another thing.. In my nlited winnt.sif there is this section:

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=DefaultHide
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
OemPreinstall="Yes"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
ProgramFilesDir="D:\Programmi"
CommonProgramFilesDir="D:\Programmi\File comuni"
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

..that is not present in the version modded by USB_MultiBoot_10.

Note that I specify to use partition D for the "Program files" folder and for "Documenti and Settings" too.

Is it correct to miss that part?

Edited by pipster

..that is not present in the version modded by USB_MultiBoot_10.

Note that I specify to use partition D for the "Program files" folder and for "Documenti and Settings" too.

Is it correct to miss that part?

Unfortunately, the procedure of USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd does NOT allow to make use of [unattended] Section.

However, there are two very good solutions which can handle the [unattended] Section as you wish:

WinSetupFromUSB of ilko_t

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=120444

Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5306

Another advantage is that you can use the FULL XP Source unchanged just as with Install from CD

and the $OEM$ folder is recognised and the [unattended] section of winnt.sif file is used as normal.

ilko_t indicated already that your USB-stick Make is may be NOT willing

for getting Drive letter U: during XP Setup ....

Edited by wimb

Changing default directories paths is not yet supported in WinSetupFromUSB. In my last tests I noticed that "program files" and "documents and settings" were not created during Text mode part, which gives pretty good chances to find a workaround by using presetup.cmd for example. However, I was after something else and did not pay much attention, the above statement could be wrong.

I tested another usb pendrive (Imation Nano 4gb) and it's quite the same. Now I have:

3892 disk [MBR]

D: Partition1 (XP_USB) [NTFS]

E: Partition2 (XP_data) [NTFS]

F: Partition3 (Vista) [NTFS]

G: Partition4 (Share) [FAT32]

So I think it's impossible for me to install Windows from usb.

Furthermore when I try to include the [unattended] section in both winat.sif and winnt.sif I get an error just before the partitioning screen in txtsetup. Some of this:

"Impossible to copy \WINDOWS folder. Impossible to find the folder..."

So I'm coming back to the classic cd(nlited) setup. I'm sorry.

Setup after booting with WinPE is too much complicated to use and to update.

Maybe I will try later with Vista on my second partition.

Anyway if any of you has a workaround to my problems please let me now.

Thank you!! :)

Edited by pipster

Changing default directories paths is not yet supported in WinSetupFromUSB.
I have to correct myself- using WinSetupFromUSB 0.2, which will be published in a few days and custom directories, defined in winnt.sif DOES work. Seems the trick with merging back the unattended section to $winnt$.inf using presetup.cmd does the trick. The directories entries are parsed from $winnt$.inf after start of GUI mode, after presetup.cmd was launched and actually a few minutes after T-39, when the directories are created as well.

winnt.sif:

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
OemPreinstall="Yes"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPnPDriversPath="drivers\01 wireless;drivers\02 lan;drivers\03 video"
ProgramFilesDir="D:\Program_Files"
CommonProgramFilesDir="D:\Program_Files\My_Common_Files"
[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
AutoLogon="Yes"
AdminPassword=*
TimeZone=085
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1
ProfilesDir="D:\Documents_Settings\"

setuplog.txt:

4/04/2009 23:49:53.389,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\IEXPLORE.EX_ was copied to D:\Program_Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE.

04/04/2009 23:49:53.405,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\iedw.ex_ was copied to D:\Program_Files\Internet Explorer\iedw.exe.

04/04/2009 23:49:53.421,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\HMMAPI.DL_ was copied to D:\Program_Files\Internet Explorer\HMMAPI.DLL.

04/04/2009 23:49:53.452,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\html32.cn_ was copied to D:\Program_Files\My_Common_Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv\html32.cnv.

04/04/2009 23:49:58.780,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\bluehill.jp_ was copied to D:\Documents_Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\Blue hills.jpg.

04/04/2009 23:49:58.796,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\log.c,133,,U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\sunset.jp_ was copied to D:\Documents_Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\Sunset.jpg.

setupapi.log:

#I022 Found "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_27228086" in d:\drivers\01 wireless\w29n51.inf; Device: "Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection"; Driver: "Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection"; Provider: "Intel"; Mfg: "Intel Corporation"; Section name: "Install_DELLMPCI3A_BG_XP".

As far as I remember 0.1.1 should work fine with those entries as well.

In other words pretty much everything in winnt.sif has been covered ;)

Edited by ilko_t

I have to correct myself- using WinSetupFromUSB 0.2, which will be published in a few days and custom directories, defined in winnt.sif DOES work. Seems the trick with merging back the unattended section to $winnt$.inf using presetup.cmd does the trick. The directories entries are parsed from $winnt$.inf after start of GUI mode, after presetup.cmd was launched and actually a few minutes after T-39, when the directories are created as well.

CUT

As far as I remember 0.1.1 should work fine with those entries as well.

In other words pretty much everything in winnt.sif has been covered ;)

This is great! I'll try when you release it and when I complete my WinXPsp3 cd with nLite.

Anyway I have to find a workaround for the missing U:\ driveletter.. :(

As soon as I can I'll make other test.

Thanks ilko_t for the advice ;)

Can you test the same stick on another computer? This would be harmless- just get to the partitioning screen in Text mode and see drive letters, no need to continue with installation. Then you can shut down the PC or use F3 to abort Setup.

Can you test the same stick on another computer? This would be harmless- just get to the partitioning screen in Text mode and see drive letters, no need to continue with installation. Then you can shut down the PC or use F3 to abort Setup.

Hello and sorry for late... :unsure:

I tested your GUI apps with my first usb key (Verbatim) but now I get just this line:

3892 disk [MBR]

C: Partition1 (XP_USB) [NTFS]

So all of my other partition are invisible and I can't continue with setup.

Unfortunately I don't have another USB boot compatible computer so I can't try...

Then I tried to use FAT for the USB_drive and at boot I have black screen with only this entry:

Second part XP professional setup from hd 0 part 1

In the boot.ini I have entry for the 2nd part only. Nothing for the first part so I can't start txtsetup.

You most likely do not have the appropriate mass storage (SATA) driver included, or in BIOS SATA mode was on IDE and now is in AHCI/SATA/RAID mode. Did you use the same windows source?

Don't use FAT on this large drive, try FAT32 instead, but be warned- file copy part in Text mode could be painfully slow. NTFS is much faster.

The windows source is the same with sata drivers nlited, working on cd.

Bios settings are the same.

I know FAT could really slow but I thought to make a try and see if there was some chance to get U letter for my usb stick.

Thanks for advice :)