[SOLVED] USBstick take letter D and not U

pipster

Can you attach your txtsetup.sif from USB disk root?

What computer is this, brand/model if is laptop? Motherboard model if desktop? Do you know by any chance the HardwareID of the SATA controller?

I see iastor used, can you try setting up SATA controller in IDE mode and try again?

Can you attach your txtsetup.sif from USB disk root?

What computer is this, brand/model if is laptop? Motherboard model if desktop? Do you know by any chance the HardwareID of the SATA controller?

I see iastor used, can you try setting up SATA controller in IDE mode and try again?

Yes, of course!

CPU: Intel i7 920

MotherBoard: Asus P6T

Sata controller is Intel ICH10R

HWID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&SUBSYS_82D41043&REV_00

Here's my txtsetup.sif

TXTSETUP.rar

Let me make another test in NTFS to try in IDE mode because in FAT I got the same, just 2nd part in black screen...

Edited by pipster

Made other tests using NTFS format on the Imation Nano 4gb.

I tried:

1. BIOS AHCI mode both with original presetup.cmd or with some change in the beginning lines:

SET TAGFILE=\$WIN_NT$.~LS
FOR %%h IN (U M N O P Q R S T V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%h:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%h:
if "%CDDRIVE%" == "" (
FOR %%h IN (C D E F G H I J K L) DO IF EXIST "%%h:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%h:
)

I simply moved D from first group of letters to the 2nd.

I get the same entries as my other post 9

2. BIOS IDE mode with original and modded presetup.cmd and get the same

Anyway I think that change in presetup has no effect on anything...

I really don't know what I can do right now :wacko:

You have no entries for iaStor, neither for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22 in the txtsetup.sif posted. :blink:

What is broken? In your first post I see iaStor loaded. You are saying that you have used the same source. Where did iaStor driver come from in your first post and why it is not present in the posted txtsetup.sif? Something must have been changed meanwhile.

Presetup.cmd is loaded at start of GUI mode and does not play any role during Text mode where you problem is. No need to play with it at all.

I would advice you to start with clean, original, not modified in any way XP SP3. If you cannot find such source use for the tests the trial Server 2003, freely available from MS:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...r/bb430831.aspx

Since you will be testing Text mode only you won't need a serial number, just get the first English img file from here, extract it somewhere and use it as a source.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/1...F/X13-04874.img

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...llinstruct.mspx

Use WinSetupFromUSB with Copy Setup boot/RC files only option checked. This will let you test Text mode only without copying the whole source. Files put on USB stick are 6-12MB total size and preparation takes seconds.

1. Try to prepare the USB stick in NTFS, and BIOS in IDE mode. If no luck go to 2. Do not touch anything with nLite yet.

2. Integrate BTS mass storage drivers, selecting Text mode drivers too. Format and rebuild the USB stick with the same option checked, put BIOS in AHCI/SATA mode. Do not touch anything with nLite yet.

Is your USB stick now U:? Do you see the internal hard disk(s) now?

Please follow the advices blindly, do NOT introduce any changes, which in your opinion may be irrelevant.

I'm sorry :blushing: . That was not the correct version of txtsetup.sif.

Here's it:

TXTSETUP.7z

With this sif sata driver load succesfully and setup goes right with the nlited cd.

I tried with my original XPsp2 cd source loading iaStor by F6 but is always the same, both in AHCI and IDE mode. USB gets partition D:

Now I'm downloading XP 2003 sp2 as you said me, because I don't have a not modified XP SP3. Thank you!

XP 2003 sp2 both AHCI (with F6) and IDE mode failed. I always get the same:

476938 SCSI disk, Id 0, bus 0, on iaStor [MBR] <--this change by IDE or SATA mode

C: Partition1 (XP) [NTFS]

E: Partition2 (XP_data) [NTFS]

F: Partition3 (Vista) [NTFS]

G: Partition4 (Share) [FAT32]

1962 disk [MBR]

D: Partition1 (XP_USB) [NTFS]

I'll try to integrate BTS mass storage. Do I have to use DP_base or nLite integration?

Now I'm trying with DP_base...

No news.. XP 2003 sp2 with BTS Mass Storage integrated with DP_base failed too. Both in IDE and AHCI.

So I think there's no chance for me to install via USB.

Maybe it's the Asus P6T BIOS (v.0403) or the USB controller... I don't know :}

Edited by pipster

Ok, now missing SATA disk problem is resolved, you can use either source you have as it should not be the problem. USB stick getting D: might be something to do with BIOS or the USB stick :unsure:

Try in BIOS-->Advanced-->USB configuration to change values of BIOS EHCI Hand off to Disabled and maybe Legacy USB support to Enabled if it is Auto. Just random ideas...

Another one- open up Regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, right click on it and export it in a reg file.

Attach this file along with the latest migrate.inf in ~BT folder on the USB stick.

Try in BIOS-->Advanced-->USB configuration to change values of BIOS EHCI Hand off to Disabled and maybe Legacy USB support to Enabled if it is Auto. Just random ideas...

Tryed... again D:

Also I tried in "BIOS-->Advanced-->USB configuration--> USB Mass Storage Device Configuration" to force Emulation type to "CDROM" and to "Hard Disk" but nothing...

Another one- open up Regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, right click on it and export it in a reg file.

Attach this file along with the latest migrate.inf in ~BT folder on the USB stick.

I'm sorry.. :blushing:

Where do I have to export that key? Do I have to log in windows on the machine on which I'm trying to boot with USB U: and take that registry?

Edited by pipster

On the machine you used to prepare the USB stick. Please also mention what drive letter was the USB stick last time you prepared it with Windows setup. All this is on the same machine, where you run WinSetupFromUSB or USB_multiboot. Leaving the remote machine alone for a while.

On the machine you used to prepare the USB stick. Please also mention what drive letter was the USB stick last time you prepared it with Windows setup. All this is on the same machine, where you run WinSetupFromUSB or USB_multiboot. Leaving the remote machine alone for a while.

Both the sticks take letter H.

Here is the files you asked me:

Reg_export_and_migrate.rar

Win 2003 is on the Verbatim 2gb

XP pro sp3 nlited with apps, driver, hotfixes and tweaks is on the Imation Nano 4gb

I'm sorry but now I have to leave because I have to take a 9 hours bus :wacko: to go to my parents in the south of Italy for the Easter. I'll take all the sticks with me and I'll try with my father pc.

I will give you more feedback in the next days.

Thank you very much for your support. You are very kind. :)

Hello, I tried both my usb sticks on other 2 computers: a brand new HP dv5 1120 laptop and a P4 3Ghz (MoBo = Gigabyte GA-8IPE775-G) but I get always and always letter D. It seems it's impossible to get U letter in any way.

Maybe are really the sticks...

Any news by reading at the files reg and migrate?

I find improbable that the stick is the problem. :unsure:

Try reading these:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=125945

http://www.msfn.org/board/profiles-directo...me-t125819.html

and use the MakeMigrateInf.exe:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=at...st&id=23940

Run it TWO times, one with the stick inserted and mounted:

makemigrateinf.exe>with_stick.txt

and one without it:

makemigrateinf.exe>no_stick.txt

Attach the two resulting files, together with the output of mkmigrateinf.cmd.

jaclaz

...migrate_inf.txt is the output of MkMigrateInf2.cmd
Did you run it with options?

To keep things together use MkMigrateInf2.cmd from WinSetupFromUSB folder\files\winsetup\.

Use in command line:

MkMigrateInf2.cmd H: c:\migrate_inf.txt

Where H: is drive letter of the USB stick. Re-attach c:\migrate_inf.txt.